[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

If you can't get your video working with DSDT then just leave the video section empty when using ACPIPatcher, then use a device (EFI) string for your video.

Audio, what mobo are you using? as I have heard somebody before say their audio wasn't that great using DSDT and a LegacyHDA.kext but they were not using the EP45-DS3L.

Yes, sleep can be linked with video, so maybe?

If you are using EP45-DS3L, do what I did, add HDEF for the audio when building your DSDT in ACPIPatcher and then just add the LegacyHDA.kext from my support files in to /E/E.

All I can say is follow my guide here and apply it to your system.

I think it is because of the underscore before NVRAIDBUS which when I remove I only get 4 warnings Instead of an error and 4 warnings

I have ALC888 Audio on this P35-DS3L. I just want to verify that 7.1 out works. So the 4out2ins kext works.

EDIT:

Got graphics to work with DSDT!

Looking at your guide, my graphics was at PCI0 too, but I saw no PEGP in my system, I had no luck trying the diff nvcaps, so I said what the hell, I ran the patcher again, this time ticking PEGP. Low and behold, rebooted with QE/CI working.

EDIT: I thought I had lost sleep on idle, but it eventually did it.

Something I've been noticing between trying out different dsdt files: I keep having to reboot with -F flag.

I thought that once I settled on one dsdt, this would stop, but this is not the case.

It stops loading at something about appleTYMCEDriver.kext I believe. This is related to sound correct? If so, then what can I try? Other than not using dsdt for sound =P

Hi thanks for the guides you put up, great work!

I successfully created a DSDT file and have GFX (8800GT) and Sound working well under 10.5.7. on a EP35-DS4

The idea is to have a working DSDT file for installing 10.6 afterwards.

The only problem when booting with the DSDT file seems to be that my WLAN (e.g. Airport) WL-138g v2 Asus is not present anymore. But I need it as I dont have the possibility for ethernet in my room.

After reading different threads, I suppose its due to some PCI slots not working anymore?

Maybe somebody has had a similar experience?

Thanks blackosx.

I believe i got it stable for the most part, but i think i have a sloppy Display. im running nVidia 9800GT should i be using NVinject or NVenabler? or there is something i can tweak in DSDT? currently i only have 1 resolution available, the one from com.apple.boot.plist and not option to kick my second monitor On.

Thanks

@CrimsonAngel

Have you now got it working?

@EnzoFX

Well done for getting your graphics working :)

It is a bit of hit & miss and you just needed to keep trying different settings.

I have never had to boot with -f, this is strange.`Have you tried manually deleting the S/L/Extensions.mkext?

@Harrobbed

Well done with creating your DSDT successfully. :)

I don't use Wireless Lan, but I know robotfactory solved the issue with his.

@brimestoned

Well done to you too :D

Hopefully you can get your 9800GT working without adding an extra kext but unfortunately you are going to have to search around. I am sure someone else has a 9800GT working through DSDT.

For the life of me, I can't get BIOS revision F10 to work. I am running revision F8, which has been working great, but wanted to update to F10 before trying to create a DSDT. The BIOS flash was successful, and I made sure AHCI and SATA Native Mode were enabled, but Leopard 10.5.7 would kernal panic. XP also stopped booting with a disk read error. After several tries at different BIOS settings I downgraded back to F8 and everything worked again. Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

I found out that the appleTYMCEDriver.kext that keeps giving me KP (Unless I boot with -f) is for the new i7 Mac Pro's. I don't understand why it's trying to be loaded. I originally set it as Mac Pro3,1 in SMBIOS.plist, along with a corresponding serial number, but since getting this error, I have tried MacPro2,1, and eventually the same iMac8,1 that you are using.

Somehow it still thinks it should load that kext. Could it be any of the newer kexts I am using? Such as IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, or UUID.kext.

@Harrobbed

Wow, that helped. Thanks alot blackosx & robotfactory. Sadly the firewire wont work anymore but I can live without it. ;)

I'm now off to install Snow Leopard. :)

For the life of me, I can't get BIOS revision F10 to work. I am running revision F8, which has been working great, but wanted to update to F10 before trying to create a DSDT. The BIOS flash was successful, and I made sure AHCI and SATA Native Mode were enabled, but Leopard 10.5.7 would kernal panic. XP also stopped booting with a disk read error. After several tries at different BIOS settings I downgraded back to F8 and everything worked again. Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

Hi EzEzE.

No I don't know what you could be doing wrong. Maybe you could continue with F8 - who's to say it won't work?, I just did mine with F10 :)

I found out that the appleTYMCEDriver.kext that keeps giving me KP (Unless I boot with -f) is for the new i7 Mac Pro's. I don't understand why it's trying to be loaded. I originally set it as Mac Pro3,1 in SMBIOS.plist, along with a corresponding serial number, but since getting this error, I have tried MacPro2,1, and eventually the same iMac8,1 that you are using.

Somehow it still thinks it should load that kext. Could it be any of the newer kexts I am using? Such as IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, or UUID.kext.

I have just done a sudo kextstat in terminal to list all loaded extensions and appleTYMCEDriver.kext is NOT loaded on my system. I don't think it's to do with IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, or UUID.kext. I thought maybe you're right and it could be something to do with SMBIOS and it thinking it's a MacPro? (But if you've tried that option, then I don't know)

Wow, that helped. Thanks alot blackosx & robotfactory. Sadly the firewire wont work anymore but I can live without it. ;)

... I'm now off to install Snow Leopard. :)

At least you can use your system now :)

Good luck with the Snow Leopard install. Try using the USB route if you have that available to you. If not, have patience with the kernel panics.

Well, I ended up deleting AppleTYMCEDriver.kext =/. It solved the issue of course, but I'm about to reinstall to a new HDD from this working install. I'm going to follow your guide but instead use the 10.5.8 combo update. So maybe with a fresh install the system won't try to load that damn kext =P.

EDIT: Fresh install is working well. No KP so far. Still haven't tested sleep, but I have a feeling it'll work hah. Gonna "move in" to this new install now.

I am noticing something odd, with the drives, and I think IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is causing it.

e.g.:

Installing dropbox, I always select my folder to go on another partition, but when I tried, it said it couldnt because the folder was in an external drive.

Second, Dock Stacks that are based in other partitions, don't refresh it's preview @ login, so they look like the folder icon view: http://kttns.org/tg0zg

Hi thanks for the guides you put up, great work!

I successfully created a DSDT file and have GFX (8800GT) and Sound working well under 10.5.7. on a EP35-DS4

Can you share attatch / share your dsdt.dsl please ?

So i can look in the PCI0 part and compare it with mine (EP35-DS3).

Here is mine orig. start part of PCI0 (which is GPU slot).

Scope (_SB)
   {
       Device (PWRB)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
           Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Return (0x0B)
           }
       }
       Device [b](PCI0)[/b]   // GPU slot on EP-35
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
           Name (_ADR, Zero)
           Name (_UID, One)
           Name (_BBN, Zero)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

I tried to do dsdt for my NV 9600 GT, which is working with efistring (createdby efistudio). I i use same keys / values for dsdt i get NV working, but no QE/CI like with efistring.

I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R and my dsdt looks a little different for the RTC section:

Device (RTC)
			  {
				  Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				  Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
				  {
					  IO (Decode16,
						  0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						  0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						  0x00,			   // Alignment
						  0x02,			   // Length, was 0x04
						  )
				  })
				  Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
				  {
					  IO (Decode16,
						  0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						  0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						  0x00,			   // Alignment
						  0x02,			   // Length, was 0x04
						  )
				  })
				  Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				  {
					  If (LGreaterEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
					  {
						  If (HPTF)
						  {
							  Return (ATT1)
						  }
						  Else
						  {
							  Return (ATT0)
						  }
					  }
					  Else
					  {
						  Return (ATT0)
					  }
				  }
			  }

I have commented the areas I changed. This is supposed to fix the CMOS reset bug with Snow Leopard, but my bios is still getting reset every time. What am I missing?

Here is where I am. I have a Dell Inspiron 530. I installed Snow Leopard to an external HD by mounting the DMG and starting the installer mpkg. Chose only the base system install and it installed fine. Then I installed chameleon to the separate partition. This is where things got bad for me. Since my system is not Gigabyte, I cannot generate DSDT.aml with the options mentioned in this guide. So I followed the infinitemac guide (how to install on a PC) and generated the DSDT using the command line tool (without any options). Then I patched it for the CMOS fix.

Again, the support files attached in this thread are Gigabyte specific, but I copied them to the correct folders on Chameleon partition anyway. This is the other area where my troubles could be.

Finally, I had to put the EFI string for video and ethernet as mentioned in the guide. Even though my onboard ethernet doesn't work in Leopard and I use a USB dongle. This was the third area where I diverged.

I compared the generated string with what I currently have in my boot.apple.com.plist. And they were different.

So I tried booting anyway. I got a Kernel Panic right away. Just like mentioned in the guide, I booting again. This time it went to the intro video and KP'ed.

I then went back to the EFI string and used my Leopard's EFI string. No luck. Every time it gets to the keyboard selection after the video and then KP's on me.

I will be searching this thread for some more ideas. So far I need to try:

1. Generating the EFI string with just the graphics card string.

2. Try different support files (how?)

3. Try different DSDT.aml. Someone in the Inspiron 530 thread mentioned their DSDT worked so I've asked for a copy. Otherwise I will try generating it again.

Do you think the USB install method would help more than anything else? The thing is, I don't have another external HDD or a 8GB Flash Drive I could use to boot from.

I think something happened to your GUIDE on mediafire, I have been trying to download it for a few days with no luck. Would you guys check to see if its still available? Could someone repost it? thanks

I think something happened to your GUIDE on mediafire, I have been trying to download it for a few days with no luck. Would you guys check to see if its still available? Could someone repost it? thanks

Yeah, the mediafire link has stopped working I have just tried it. Thanks for letting me know.

Here it is (See the bottom of this post)

I am noticing something odd, with the drives, and I think IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is causing it.

Second, Dock Stacks that are based in other partitions, don't refresh it's preview @ login, so they look like the folder icon view: http://kttns.org/tg0zg

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext will stop your mac thinking all drives are external.

Strange about your dock stacks? but I don't use them this way as I like my icons to be constant, not one that changes.

I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R and my dsdt looks a little different for the RTC section:

0x04, // Length, was 0x04

I have commented the areas I changed. This is supposed to fix the CMOS reset bug with Snow Leopard, but my bios is still getting reset every time. What am I missing?

@ jtillwick

The Length needs to be changed to 0x02

I will be searching this thread for some more ideas. So far I need to try:

1. Generating the EFI string with just the graphics card string.

2. Try different support files (how?)

3. Try different DSDT.aml. Someone in the Inspiron 530 thread mentioned their DSDT worked so I've asked for a copy. Otherwise I will try generating it again.

@yelloguy

Well done for trying and keep working at it... :D

Hopefully the next steps you are going to try might help you. But, maybe finding other users of the Inspiron 530 can help you with finding out which kexts you need. But the only kexts you actually need to boot SL are (fakesmc or dsmos) and possibly NullCPUPowerManagement.The others help with tweaks and specifics for your system. Also all the guides recommend you match your UUID in PlatformUUID and SMBIOS with the one in Disk Utility.

I noticed that it was only stacks that originated from other partitions that behaved improperly. Also, dropbox.app freaked out on me when I tried moving the folder, telling me that the drive was External.

All fixed now however, turns out I also needed AHCIPortInjector, to go with IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, seeing as I am on ICH9.

So far so good, Thanks again!

At least you can use your system now ;)

Good luck with the Snow Leopard install. Try using the USB route if you have that available to you. If not, have patience with the kernel panics.

Installing Leopard worked, but after a few retries. What I did in the end was as follows:

created a small partition on a free internal sata drive for booting and left the rest to a free partition to where SL would be installed.

Installed Chameleon & EFI 10.1 & smbios, boot.plist, DSDT.aml & several kext (including LegacyHDA from this thread and the Realtek kext) on the boot partition.

apple.com.Boot.plist contained an EFI string I took from my old apple.com.boot.plist used in 10.5.7, which contained Ethernet, GFX, and Audio. Without this, GFX would not work. I'm not sure about Audio though.

Took an external USB drive and made a small 8Gb partition (GUID) with HFS+ Extended (not! Journaled) where I restored the SL image untouched.

Made note of the UUID of that external Installation partition and copied it over to smbios.plist and PlatformUUID.kext.

Then, reboot. Boot into small boot partition on HDD to load Chameleon, from there booted into the Installation partition on the external HDD.

Install starts. Within Install formatted the rest of the internal HDD to HFS+ Extended journaled.

Begin install. (Including Printer drivers)

After install was finished. Do not boot into Snow Leopard just yet. Booted into my existing Leopard, got UUID form the new Snow Leopard partition and put it into smbios and PlatformUUID.

Then reboot into Snow Leopard.

Now, everything seems to work just fine exept sleep. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I use sleepenabler.kext and Openhaltrestard.kext. But after going to sleep, when I push the power button it just restarts.

Not: Also repairing rights from within Disk Utility works and Spotlight is still indexing without KP so far. In fact, with this install, I didnt experience any KP. I unplugged my NTFS drives though.

Can you share attatch / share your dsdt.dsl please ?

So i can look in the PCI0 part and compare it with mine (EP35-DS3).

Here is mine orig. start part of PCI0 (which is GPU slot).

Scope (_SB)
   {
       Device (PWRB)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
           Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Return (0x0B)
           }
       }
       Device [b](PCI0)[/b]   // GPU slot on EP-35
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
           Name (_ADR, Zero)
           Name (_UID, One)
           Name (_BBN, Zero)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

I tried to do dsdt for my NV 9600 GT, which is working with efistring (createdby efistudio). I i use same keys / values for dsdt i get NV working, but no QE/CI like with efistring.

I use both dsdt.aml created with windows and EFI-string. Without EFI-String my 8800GT doesnt work either. But It doesnt bother me to have to use EFI string.

Anyway, here is my dsdt.aml

DSDT.aml.zip

Well done Harrobbed - this is exactly the method to install 10.6 without any KP's.. :(

I see you used HFS+ Extended (not! Journaled) for your USB install. If it worked then great!

If you do a sudo kextstat in Terminal, does sleepenabler show as loaded?

EDIT: This should really be in my 10.6 thread. Not Here.

I can't download the pdf guide - the mediafire link works, but once I click download it keeps timing out and not getting anywhere. Other files on mediafire work fine!

I know, someone told me about this earlier. I have attached it at the end of this post

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my audio.

Hardware:

EP45-DS3L F5 bios (never had a reason to change)

Q6600

7900GS

I made a dsdt file using the guide from the EP45-UD3P thread as I don't have access to windows right now. I modified it with the ALC888 section from one of the dsdt files I found here. I have tested it in Leopard by installing PC EFI 10.1 and putting it into the /Extra folder in Leopard. I previously had working kext files for the sound in Leopard and sound works in Leopard now with the dsdt file put there.

Graphics and networking work fine for me in SL, but I can't get audio to work at all. I've tried LegacyHDA files from here and others that claim to work (tried the 4outs2ins included in the SL pack), I've tried using the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler from my Leopard install, I've tried VoodooHDA... nothing.

When I click on Sound in the prefpane, under output all I get is "No output devices found"

:D

All I need to get to work is sound and then I'm golden. Is there something else I can try? EFI strings? Where do I find them and how would I load them?

UPDATE: Partially fixed.

I had .kext files all over the place, patched, unpatched... I just got rid of all of them (AppleHDA, HDAEnabler, all the legacy ones), put a fresh unpached AppleHDA from the SL DVD into /system/library/extensions and the LegacyHDA into /Extra.

I now have output settings in the prefpane, but no sound as of yet. They all show up as analog line outputs and I need SPDIF out.

@supersilverpig

Well done - it sounds like you've tried everything to get audio working. I have documented what I did, but I only use Stereo so have never tested SPDIF on my hack. All I can suggest is you have a look at tmongkol's thread. He's seems to know everything about audio on these Gigabytes.

thanks for the excellent guide. Installed OK on ep35-ds3l. Only thing all hidden files and folders are now shown on the boot drive i.e. bin, usr etc. Anyone had this happen, Fix?

@121fred

I have seen this too on my system, but they are not there now. Try a reboot and see if it's fixed or not.

Thanks Again blackosx. I got my SL (EP45-DS3L, 9800GT, Q9300) Stable. No KP, and everything works.

9800GT worked via EFI String.

now i just need to wait for my main apps to run on SL.

With High Respects.

---

Ted

http://brimestone.homeunix.net/

@CrimsonAngel

Have you now got it working?

@EnzoFX

Well done for getting your graphics working ;)

It is a bit of hit & miss and you just needed to keep trying different settings.

I have never had to boot with -f, this is strange.`Have you tried manually deleting the S/L/Extensions.mkext?

@Harrobbed

@brimestoned

Well done to you too :)

Hopefully you can get your 9800GT working without adding an extra kext but unfortunately you are going to have to search around. I am sure someone else has a 9800GT working through DSDT.