[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

@rednous - your USB power problem might just be an issue with your keyboard? (just a guess).

@LOLmoe - Have you tried the DSDT I posted here for the GA-EP45-DS3L?

As for CPUInjector.kext, you don't need that if you use Netkas' latest PC EFI boot file as it is now built in.

If you use the DSDT file I mentioned, then you can remove OpenHaltRestart.kext but your machine might not correctly restart, but shutdown will be OK. It will also allow the press the power button shortly on the case to enter sleep, and wake up from mouse (mine allows wake from keyboard too, but others have not had the same success).

As for speedstep, yes it can be done but I haven't gone down the road to fully understand it yet. But if you read either the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread or FormerlyKnownAs' thread for P-states / C-states, you'll get some knowledge.

New iaslMe

I've been a bit slow here but I have just realised that mitch_de has updated his iaslMe thread with the latest version from the 13th October. It's always best to have the latest version. See here. I will update the front page.

@rednous - I have the apple keyboard as well and thumbdrives work fine with the new dsdt

@blackosx - If I remove nullcpupowermanagement I can sleep and wake fine from my wireless mouse. My wired apple keyboard doesnt wake it. Without nullcpupowermanagement my cpus run 10-15 degrees hotter at idle. Im not too comfortable with that and my overclock so I will leave that kext until speedstepping works.

@blackosx - If I remove nullcpupowermanagement I can sleep and wake fine from my wireless mouse. My wired apple keyboard doesnt wake it. Without nullcpupowermanagement my cpus run 10-15 degrees hotter at idle. Im not too comfortable with that and my overclock so I will leave that kext until speedstepping works.

Hi spacr - that's fine. Likewise, I leave NullCPUPowerManagement.kext & SleepEnabler.kext in my /E/E too as without them my CPU runs about 5 degrees hotter, thats with a standard clock. But I was just highlighting the fact that you can run without them. :)

blackosx,

Thanks for the new reply. I appreciate it.

I do not have a EP45-DS3L, I have a EP43-DS3LR. So I cannot try that DSDT.

However using DSDTSE, I put in the power button sleep fix and the USB (0x03 i think for USB0,1,2,3,4,5,E?), and only thing really is the Speed Step.

do you know how to do it manually? like putting thbe code in the ASL file then compiling it

I would like to ask about this issue (screenshot attached): Im using Apple keyboard and when i attach to it a USB pen drive the following message appears (see attached screenshot). I can live with this, since i have at least 4 USB ports where i can attach pen drives, but Im curious how can i fix it (if possible). Could it be related somehow to my PSU (450W)?

I think if you plug into a different USB port on your computer you will not have that problem. The keyboard does not always have enough power.

I think if you plug into a different USB port on your computer you will not have that problem. The keyboard does not always have enough power.

etherbunny2, right :(, it seems that my keyboard somehow doesn't have enough power

Blackosx, spacr, thank you too for answering/ giving me suggestions :blink:

I do not have a EP45-DS3L, I have a EP43-DS3LR. So I cannot try that DSDT.

However using DSDTSE, I put in the power button sleep fix and the USB (0x03 i think for USB0,1,2,3,4,5,E?), and only thing really is the Speed Step.

do you know how to do it manually? like putting thbe code in the ASL file then compiling it

Hi LOLmoe

You can try using the new DSDT I posted here (the test one made by Masterchief, that I amended slightly for this mobo). And having looked at the specs of your mobo, yours also uses ALC888 and ICH10 so It might just work fine. It doesn't contain speedstepping but you can read the speedstepping threads for more info on adding that. Give it a try :(

@ etherbunny2

Don't thank me - it's MasterChief who did the work :(

You wireless mouse, is that bluetooth?

Could you use different (non-Apple) ones before this DSDT?

Also your DVD player did it works with your previous DSDT? (and it is a SATA drive?)

If you use the new PC EFI bootloader from Netkas then you can remove CPUInjector.kext

@Blackosx,

Right, thanks to both you and MasterChief.

The wireless mouse is a plain ol Microsoft wireless mouse. On my other machine, which works perfectly as far as I can tell, at least no KP's yet, the wireless mouse will wake the machine from sleep. That machine also has an Apple USB keyboard which has the USB key for the mouse attached. Don't know if that makes any difference or not. The DVD player did work previous to testing your DSDT. VLC would play the audio from the movie, but not the video. I tried Netkas' EFI bootloader, but got a KP after startup. I am attaching my DSDT and boot file from my machine that has no apparent issues for you to check out, or for anyone who wants to give it a try. I don't recall now if it was made from the f10 or f11 bios. I'm using an EFI string made with EFIStudio for the video. BTW there is apparently a later version of EFIStudio released, V1.1 which has additional gfx cards.

Mobo: ep45-ds3l

grf: Nvidia 8800 GT 512

HD: Sata

DVD: one SATA and one IDE

Wireless: DWA-552 N

(running in x32)

dsdt.aml.zip

boot.zip

Hi etherbunny2

The wireless mouse is a plain ol Microsoft wireless mouse. On my other machine, which works perfectly as far as I can tell, at least no KP's yet, the wireless mouse will wake the machine from sleep. That machine also has an Apple USB keyboard which has the USB key for the mouse attached. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

What is your other machine?

The DVD player did work previous to testing your DSDT. VLC would play the audio from the movie, but not the video. I tried Netkas' EFI bootloader, but got a KP after startup. I am attaching my DSDT and boot file from my machine that has no apparent issues for you to check out, or for anyone who wants to give it a try. I don't recall now if it was made from the f10 or f11 bios. I'm using an EFI string made with EFIStudio for the video. BTW there is apparently a later version of EFIStudio released, V1.1 which has additional gfx cards.

I don't use a wireless mouse, so I can't do any testing for you, so maybe somebody else can help you with that.

The DVD drive that doesn't work, is that the IDE one? as the new DSDT doesn't have IDE support.. But the SATA one should still work.

Now you have your system up and running, you should just be able to swap between Chameleon RC3 and PC EFi (v10.3 or greater) without issue. If you get a KP from using Netkas' PC EFI then I don't know why?

Ultimately though, if this DSDT I posted as a trial doesn't work for you as you want then stick with your own one. I am still learning about DSDT and will hopefully learn more as time goes on. But if you want more advanced answers then maybe join in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread and we can all learn together ;)

Thanks for the note about a new EFIStudio, I will look it out.

Hi etherbunny2

What is your other machine?

The DVD drive that doesn't work, is that the IDE one? as the new DSDT doesn't have IDE support.. But the SATA one should still work.

The machine that is working perfect is the one I listed in my previous post that has the NV 8800 GT video card. The buggy one has the exact same mobo, but a NV 7600 Gt 256 video card and Q6600 cpu.

Both DVD drives work, it is only when I try to play a movie that the video doesn't work and I get an error message that says it cannot find a video device when DVD player starts. I'm thinking of replacing the 7600 GT card with an 8800 GT card to see if the problem goes away. I'm going to follow the Fix DSDT thread also and see what I can learn. I'm not a programmer though.

The machine that is working perfect is the one I listed in my previous post that has the NV 8800 GT video card. The buggy one has the exact same mobo, but a NV 7600 Gt 256 video card and Q6600 cpu.

Both DVD drives work, it is only when I try to play a movie that the video doesn't work and I get an error message that says it cannot find a video device when DVD player starts. I'm thinking of replacing the 7600 GT card with an 8800 GT card to see if the problem goes away. I'm going to follow the Fix DSDT thread also and see what I can learn. I'm not a programmer though.

Oh, okay. Your DVD player issue could be down to your video card, but I don't know for sure. In the wiki, others have confirmed that the 7600GT works, like you have, but there's no mention of DVD player issues. But swapping your video cards over to confirm the problem is a quick and easy way for you to find out.

As for the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread, it is difficult to follow as there is no real structure to it. But there is some fantastic knowledge locked away in there and MasterChief is doing his best to create a universal DSDT.

Looks like your overclocking? When i used my oc settings from f10 ( q6600 to 3.15 from 2.4 w/o changing vcore) it would only boot after ~ 7 tries. Try to reduce your fsb mhz and increase the vcore slightly.

Nope, I'm using only the standard settings before I flash the bios. I learned in the past that to flash a bios with an OC PC is to ask for trouble when the new bios frigs everything up.

I've tried underclocking everything (1066 ram down to 800 down to 677), and found all the information for standard settings for my memory, processor, video card, etc., but to no avail.

Guess I'll have to call Gigabyte tech support and say Wasup?!

if someone wants to use MasterChief's DSDT without EFI string and without the bootloaders GraphicsEnabler/Yes, you can try this:

open your old dsdt file. search the device where the data about your grafic card is listed. for me it looks like this:

Device (GFX0)
			   {
				   Name (_ADR, Zero)
				   Name (_SUN, One)
				   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				   {
					   Store (Package (0x16)
						   {
							   "@0,compatible", 
							   Buffer (0x0B)
							   {
								   "NVDA,NVMac"
							   }, 

"@0,device_type", 
							   Buffer (0x08)
							   {
								   "display"
							   }, 

"@0,name", 
							   Buffer (0x0F)
							   {
								   "NVDA,Display-A"
							   }, 

"@1,compatible", 
							   Buffer (0x0B)
							   {
								   "NVDA,NVMac"
							   }, 

"@1,device_type", 
							   Buffer (0x08)
							   {
								   "display"
							   }, 

"@1,name", 
							   Buffer (0x0F)
							   {
								   "NVDA,Display-B"
							   }, 

"NVCAP", 
							   Buffer (0x18)
							   {
								   /* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
								   /* 0008 */	0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
								   /* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							   }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							   Buffer (0x04)
							   {
								   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x38
							   }, 

"device_type", 
							   Buffer (0x0D)
							   {
								   "NVDA,GeForce"
							   }, 

"model", 
							   Buffer (0x11)
							   {
								   "nVidia (Generic)"
							   }, 

"rom-revision", 
							   Buffer (0x1F)
							   {
								   "nVidia (Generic) OpenGL Engine"
							   }
						   }, Local0)
					   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					   Return (Local0)
				   }
			   }

search this device in MasterChief's DSDT. for me it looks like this:

Device (GFX0)
							 {
								 Name (_ADR, Zero)
								 Name (_SUN, One)
							 }

now copy/paste the missing part to MasterChief's DSDT and make it look like the old dsdt file.

this is working like a charm for me. no errors so far. but anyway, use at your own risk.

if someone wants to use MasterChief's DSDT without EFI string and without the bootloaders GraphicsEnabler/Yes, you can try this:

open your old dsdt file. search the device where the data about your grafic card is listed. for me it looks like this:

now copy/paste the missing part to MasterChief's DSDT and make it look like the old dsdt file.

this is working like a charm for me. no errors so far. but anyway, use at your own risk.

Well worked out sickofit. Yes, you can add your video back in if you like.

The new DSDT's I am posting will be as generic as possible so I therefore can't add specific items. i.e. video.

I have just added my latest DSDT.dsl file to the DSDT section on the front page. Use it for reference for your own DSDT. It contains vanilla Speedstepping using P-State and C-State data for my CPU.

If you want to use it then you MUST change the P-State data for your own CPU or you'll be sending the wrong info to your CPU. I recommend learning about what you are trying to do and what the values mean. See the links to threads below that I have used for learning. I will not be held responsible if you use this on your machine and it goes wrong!

With this my Geekbench score has gone from 3430 to 4191. :)

You can find more information at.....

iSoprano's DSDT fixes for Gigabyte thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518

FormerlyKnownAs' Vanilla Speedstep thread....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

Hi B)

I've just changed my CPU for a core quad 2,83Ghz Q9550.

I've updated my PC EFI to 10.5 to add CPU detection. It's not exactly the good CPU : 2,4GHz Quad Core Intel in About This Mac.

Is this important or just cosmetic ?

No needs to re-compile my DSDT ?

Thanks ;)

With this my Geekbench score has gone from 3430 to 4191. :(

Thats awesome! Good job getting it working. Im trying to wrap my head around all this but it's pretty deep. I hope someone eventually makes a tool so people like me can take advantage of it.

Hi :(

I've just changed my CPU for a core quad 2,83Ghz Q9550.

I've updated my PC EFI to 10.5 to add CPU detection. It's not exactly the good CPU : 2,4GHz Quad Core Intel in About This Mac.

Is this important or just cosmetic ?

No needs to re-compile my DSDT ?

The CPU injection in the new PC EFI 10.5 should report your CPU speed correctly. You could try using Chameleon's RC3 boot file and adding DigitalDJ's CPUInjector.kext to see if that reports it differently (it shouldn't) but worth a try?

The DSDT I posted on 26th October should work fine for you, it only the later one that has P-State / C-State code for SpeedStep. My DSDT has changed since that file with tests and trials to see if it can be improved etc..

Thats awesome! Good job getting it working. Im trying to wrap my head around all this but it's pretty deep. I hope someone eventually makes a tool so people like me can take advantage of it.

Yeah, it's exciting to now start to see the potential of DSDT thanks to the work of everyone at the Vanilla SpeedStep and Gigabyte DSDT fixes threads. I have done a lot of reading in the last week, with the threads and trying to understand the 727 page ACIPspec PDF! B)

The CPU injection in the new PC EFI 10.5 should report your CPU speed correctly. You could try using Chameleon's RC3 boot file and adding DigitalDJ's CPUInjector.kext to see if that reports it differently (it shouldn't) but worth a try?

The DSDT I posted on 26th October should work fine for you, it only the later one that has P-State / C-State code for SpeedStep. My DSDT has changed since that file with tests and trials to see if it can be improved etc..

Thanks blackosx. I've my own DSDT because we don't have the same audio chipset (mine is 889a). Actually, all is working.

I would like to add speedstep for my new q9550 :blink: But I'm little confused and doesn't want to burn my new processor :rolleyes:

In all the posts avalaible on this subject, the post from roisoft here -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8014&st=60# (post #70) is a good start point (and safe for me) or i'm taking a wrong way ?

Thanks again :angel:

Hi Blackosx :D

Im reading very often this and another posts related to the advanced DSDT patching (P-states and C-States) and I admit im in the middle of nowhere :D Im writing not to complain though, my system is running well, but without SpeedStep stuff in DSDT :)

So far i extracted somehow the SSDT tables under ubuntu (veeery tricky) :D . Most of the given commands (scripts) didn't worked for me, but eventually i reached success with the extreaction. And im sure im not the only one stuck with the not so well described and documented process(es) of SSDT extraction (my nonprogrammer opinion) under ubuntu or fedora or whatever Linux. But i just don't get the matter, it's completely different from what im doing at my job :)

I hope and believe that some day you will update your DSDT guide with the Blackosx's humane way of explaining step 1, step, 2, how, what and where in order to get P, C states and etc. advanced stuff working ;) I also know this would be hard and time consuming task, unfortunately.

So, my post became long enough and im sorry if it's offtopic and boring.

Finally, i would like to say big thanx to you and all the other DSDT guru guys :P

Thanks blackosx. I've my own DSDT because we don't have the same audio chipset (mine is 889a). Actually, all is working.

I would like to add speedstep for my new q9550 :P But I'm little confused and doesn't want to burn my new processor :)

In all the posts avalaible on this subject, the post from roisoft here -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8014&st=60# (post #70) is a good start point (and safe for me) or i'm taking a wrong way ?

Thanks again ;)

Hi kabutop

I have attached at the bottom of this post my current DSDT.dsl for you to look at. It's for my motherboard and my CPU. My CPU in an E7300, which is a DualCore, with 5 x P-States and 3 x extra C-states (other than C0). Note: The latency values in the _CST section I am testing at the moment, so I don't know yet if they are correct. Please remember I am still learning this too :)

It has the following P-State & C-state code at the top.....

Scope (_PR)
   {
       Processor (CPU0, 0, 0x00000410, 6) {}
       Processor (CPU1, 1, 0x00000410, 6) {}
   }

Scope (_PR.CPU0)
   {
Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
	Return (Package(0x05)
	{
		Package (0x06) { 2660, 0, 10, 10, 0x0A1D, 0 },
		Package (0x06) { 2394, 0, 10, 10, 0x091C, 1 },
		Package (0x06) { 2128, 0, 10, 10, 0x081C, 2 },
		Package (0x06) { 1862, 0, 10, 10, 0x071B, 3 },
		Package (0x06) { 1596, 0, 10, 10, 0x061B, 4 }
	})
}
       Method (_CST, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
	Return (Package (0x04)
	{
		0x03, 
		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000)},1,1,1000}, 
		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x414)},2,90,500}, // latency from FACP table
		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x415)},3,180,250} // latency from FACP table
	})
       }
   }

Scope (_PR.CPU1) 
   {
           Alias (\_PR.CPU0._PSS, _PSS)
           Alias (\_PR.CPU0._CST, _CST)
   }

.....which you are going to have to either change for your CPU, or just replace it with your default Scope (_PR) section which you would have got from your DSDT when you followed my guide and made it with ACPI Pacther.. I would have looked something like this.

Scope (_PR)
   {
       Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
       Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
       Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
       Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
   }

For your audio, you will need to find what HDEF code you need for your ALC889A (you can use ACPIPatcher for that), and then replace the Device (HDEF) section of this DSDT with that code.

Hi Blackosx :)

Im reading very often this and another posts related to the advanced DSDT patching (P-states and C-States) and I admit im in the middle of nowhere :D Im writing not to complain though, my system is running well, but without SpeedStep stuff in DSDT :)

So far i extracted somehow the SSDT tables under ubuntu (veeery tricky) :D . Most of the given commands (scripts) didn't worked for me, but eventually i reached success with the extreaction. And im sure im not the only one stuck with the not so well described and documented process(es) of SSDT extraction (my nonprogrammer opinion) under ubuntu or fedora or whatever Linux. But i just don't get the matter, it's completely different from what im doing at my job :)

I hope and believe that some day you will update your DSDT guide with the Blackosx's humane way of explaining step 1, step, 2, how, what and where in order to get P, C states and etc. advanced stuff working ;) I also know this would be hard and time consuming task, unfortunately.

So, my post became long enough and im sorry if it's offtopic and boring.

Finally, i would like to say big thanx to you and all the other DSDT guru guys :wacko:

Well done for extracting your SSDT tables from linux.

One day I will put together a simple guide to follow, but first I need to learn it properly myself.

As for me being a guru? Thanks but I consider myself to be a beginner and have only touched the tip of the iceberg. It's a deep subject and I feel out of my depth too on the DSDT threads... So don't worry rednous, you're not alone ;)

Here's my latest DSDT.dsl I mentioned in my top post to kabutop

EDIT: For anyone else who want to use this, make note that this includes P-State & C-State data for my CPU. You must change this for your CPU!

dsdt.dsl.zip

Hello Blackosx,

Just one strange thing. I've just upgrade my PC EFI to 10.5 and test EvOReboot :

* reboot : it's seems that my USB doesn't work any more.

* reinstall openhaltrestart in SSH

* reboot : ok all is working.

I test a new bench with geekbench : my score is growing from 4921 to 6758

;)

Don't know why ? Thanks to my new PC EFI ?