[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Hi rramon

I didn't go through tmongkol's guide as tmongkol told me what to do.

To get audio working with this mobo and to have an untouched S/L/E folder, all you need is to select ALC888-0 with HDEF when patching your DSDT with ACPIPacther and add one on the LegcayHDA.kexts from tmongkol's pack, in to /E/E.

:(

well, allright and thanks for making that clear!

i used alc889a for my mobo when i patched dsdt this morning in order to be ready for SL. as far as i can tell everything´s working just fine..

thanks again for your guide, keep it on! :(

well, allright and thanks for making that clear!

i used alc889a for my mobo when i patched dsdt this morning in order to be ready for SL. as far as i can tell everything´s working just fine..

thanks again for your guide, keep it on! :(

No problem. We have not long discussed this in my 10.6 thread. You can pick up the conversation here. And here was my original conversation with tmongkol from which his answer gives the basis for the audio in this guide.

EDIT: But for your ALC889a - you will need to check details as I can only vouch for ALC888.

blackOSX,

If I want to upgrade my BIOS from 10 to 11b, and I only have win7 and SL installed, should I do the upgrade in the following order?

1. in Windows, download the BIOS 11b file from GigaByte.

2. in Windows, generate DSDT.aml using 11b BIOS.

3. in OSX place the DSDT.aml in EFI where my chameleon resides. At this point my system is still on BIOS version 10.

4. in Windows, flash BIOS. So my system is now on BIOS version 10.

5. reboot to OSX, at this point BIOS version should be in synch version 11f.

blackOSX,

If I want to upgrade my BIOS from 10 to 11b, and I only have win7 and SL installed, should I do the upgrade in the following order?

1. in Windows, download the BIOS 11b file from GigaByte.

2. in Windows, generate DSDT.aml using 11b BIOS.

3. in OSX place the DSDT.aml in EFI where my chameleon resides. At this point my system is still on BIOS version 10.

4. in Windows, flash BIOS. So my system is now on BIOS version 10.

5. reboot to OSX, at this point BIOS version should be in synch version 11f.

Hi undo_undo. That's exactly correct. :D

I followed this guide and got my Snow retail working on my EP45T-DS3R board flawlessly including HD Audio.

Great!. Well done and thanks for reporting your success vboyz B)

No problem. We have not long discussed this in my 10.6 thread. You can pick up the conversation here. And here was my original conversation with tmongkol from which his answer gives the basis for the audio in this guide.

EDIT: But for your ALC889a - you will need to check details as I can only vouch for ALC888.

Thx for the links.

And nevermind, DSDT patching for 889a works the same way!

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody else having trouble updating the bios to 11b?

I have a EP45-DS3L Rev 1, but anytime I try to update the bios past F7, my system barely posts.

When it finally does post, it reboots every time it loads an OS (Leopard, Linux or Windows).

This is what I did:

1. Download bios file to flash drive.

2. Reboot and press END to enter QFlash.

3. Flash Bios.

4. Upon reboot, enter BIOS and Load optimized defaults.

5. Reboot, enter BIOS again, change everything back to AHCI, proper voltages and clock speeds (which always seem to get messed up on update), restart again.

6. Re-flash to F7 as the update borks any OS from booting.

7. Pull my hair and wonder why F7 works without even loading defaults.

8. Die a little inside.

Any suggestions?

If you are using this guide to build a DSDT so you can get your 10.6 system up and running, verify it works on your 10.5.X system first.

Older News - This guide includes the CMOS Reset Fix I recommend having this BEFORE installing 10.6

Files As of 28th September 07:56 - The Building DSDT Guide PDF has been donwloaded 5,716 times

DSDT Guide for GA-EP45-DS3L v1.4 (1.69MB) Last updated 13th September 2009 - 09:38

Alternate Download Link FileFactory

What's Changed? - A few tweaks and added DSDT fixes for ApexDE's USB EHCI fix and a SATA fix.

Hi BloackOSX, I have a question. I used your method in above guide 1.4 and able to generate DSDT.aml file with 0 error 0 warnings. But still I have two issues:

Graphics: I am using Geforce 8800GT 512 MB, I got it set as per findings in IORegisteryExplorer and generated by DSDT program in windows. But even after having no error in compilation, I am unable to have QE/CI in SL. So I had to depend on OSXTools to inject EFI strings for that card then I get the QE/CI in SL. What could I be missing in DSDT.aml creation for that?

I also applied SATA Fix and EHCI Fix in the above DSDT.aml and got it without any error and warning. But I have another SATA HD (80GB having Windows Vista) which is not liked by my SL and it keeps giving me the message especially when I try to shut down or after Display goes off that drive has been removed improperly. I was wondering why? When I remove this drive and run my rig purely on SL drive (500GB SATA) I don't get this error.

Can you throw some light in your experience what should be the solution of these two problems.

By the way, great guide especially the new version 1.4. It really helped me a lot in making my system very smooth.

Graphics: I am using Geforce 8800GT 512 MB, I got it set as per findings in IORegisteryExplorer and generated by DSDT program in windows. But even after having no error in compilation, I am unable to have QE/CI in SL. So I had to depend on OSXTools to inject EFI strings for that card then I get the QE/CI in SL. What could I be missing in DSDT.aml creation for that?

I also applied SATA Fix and EHCI Fix in the above DSDT.aml and got it without any error and warning. But I have another SATA HD (80GB having Windows Vista) which is not liked by my SL and it keeps giving me the message especially when I try to shut down or after Display goes off that drive has been removed improperly. I was wondering why? When I remove this drive and run my rig purely on SL drive (500GB SATA) I don't get this error.

Hi Gurujee

I don't know why the patched video in your DSDT didn't work for you, especially as you are using the same type of video card as me. Did you try checking the PEGP option?

However, Since writing the guide, and now with the ongoing development of the Chameleon bootloader (and Netkas' PC EFI fork) I have personally chosen to inject my video device properties at boot using the GraphicsEnabler=Yes option in the com.apple.Boot.plist. But as long as you have working video with QE/CI, it doesn't really matter how you have achieved it, be it patched DSDT, device (EFI) strings or device injection at boot. It's all down to personal preference.

As for your SATA issue. Did your system give you the error for improper removal upon shutdown before applying the SATA fix? For comparison I have two HD's in my system with a FAT32 partition on each (I know that's different to your description with a dedicated HD which must be NTFS) and I don't have any issues. But if your system didn't complain without the SATA fix then maybe leave the DSDT without the SATA fix.

I am currently looking in to the SATA fix as to be honest I am not exactly sure what it does as I have copied it from another thread. I have been thinking about a comment by Master Chief (who is proving himself to be the oracle of DSDT) in my 10.6 thread where he said that making that change effectively changes the device-id of your ICH10 to an IHC8.... So I have a lot to learn and maybe not having this fix isn't such an issue?

iSoprano has recently started a thread aimed at DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards and Master Chief has been applying his amazing knowledge to help us gain an insight to a better DSDT for us all. With a cleaner, more specific, correct DSDT for our motherboards and cpu's etc., we will have a system that will perform and co-operate with the OS in a way which Apple intended.

At the moment my system doesn't have any noticeable issues after following my basic DSDT guide and this install guide, and hopefully nor will yours. So with regard to what this new thread for Gigabyte DSDT can achieve for this mobo, I am not sure yet. I don't think it will reveal new features, but it might help with getting rid of OpenHaltRestart? or it might help to natively enable bonjour networking without the need for ifconfig? At the moment, this is speculation but if anyone is interested in this then you can find the thread here.

EDIT: After my first attempt at following Master Chief's DSDT instructions I can now wake from sleep with my keyboard and mouse :)

NEW DSDT!

If anybody wants to try a new DSDT which was made by MasterChief then I will be interested in hearing results....

I have tweaked it for this motherboard (GA-EP45-DS3L) by changing the HDEF audio to ALC888 and added the SATA from my DSDT guide (I still don't know if that is the correct procedure for us but it works), and I have removed any speedstepping for now. So you can just replace your current DSDT with this one in Chameleon's /Extra. I have just started using it and it seems great. It gives fast sleep, and shutdown. Wake up from sleep with mouse/keyboard.

This DSDT doesn't include any Ethernet or Video, so you'll have to have yours working by either device (EFI) strings or use a bootloaders GraphicsEnabler/Yes and EthernetBuiltIn/Yes option.

Keep your own copy as a backup for now, and try this out. It might change in time, and when it does I will keep you informed. :)

All thanks for this must go to MasterChief.

dsdt.aml.zip

hey, Blackosx, thanx for this DSDT. i'll download it now and test it to see how's working on my mobo.

and, yes, thanx to Master Chief again.

I'm back and here's my brief report:

1. Used the above attached DSDT;

2. All kexts left intact in /Extra (fakesmc, LegacyHDA, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, SleepEnabler);

3. Restarted my OS X;

4. Successfully booted in OS X;

5. Video, ethernet (enabled via com.apple.Boot.plist -- build-in) and audio are working;

6. Awake from sleep works only via mouse, doesn't work via keyboard (i use Apple keyboard);

7. CPU temps (39°C) are the same as with my custom patched DSDT (using your guide).

note: my Chameleon boot file is netkas' original PC EFI 10.5; fakesmc is oldnapalm's version (slightly modified netkas v2).

So far, so good :):)

I don't know (i'm not quiet sure) which kext(s) should be removed (if any) with the above DSDT. Any suggestions?

NEW DSDT!

If anybody wants to try a new DSDT which was made by MasterChief then I will be interested in hearing results....

Hello Blackosx and Thanks for all your effort and work on this.

I have tried your new dsdt on my machine and it works pretty good except for the following:

Sleep wakes from microsoft PC USB keyboard, but not wireless mouse. Might be normal since I don't have a USB mouse connected. No other sleep issues.

Cannot use any screen savers except the apple ones. Says they cannot be used with this version of MacOSX.

DVD player not working. Get valid video device not found message error -70017

Video working all resolutions.

Did not test time machine.

Everything else seems to work good, running in 32 bit. So far no KP's. Previously I was using the 4th version dsdt from the Gig Fix DSDT thread and was getting random KP's even though everything seemed to work OK.

GB EP45-DS3L

NV 7600 GT 256

Q6600

4 GB Memory

DWA-552 wireless n

Kexts in E/E:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

CPUInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

NEW DSDT!

Thank you very much. I've been dying to try a dsdt with the new settings. I'll try this out tomorrow.

Btw is this from the ver11 beta bios?

@ rednous

Great, could you wake from sleep with your mouse before this DSDT?

As for your kexts, those 6 are great. But you can run without NullCPUPowerManagement & SleepEnabler, and you could always try running without OpenHaltRestart, as my system will shutdown without it (but the restart option doesn't reboot the system). And the reason others are having Speedstepping added to their DSDT's is because has the effect of lowering the CPU temps.

@ etherbunny2

Don't thank me - it's MasterChief who did the work :rolleyes:

You wireless mouse, is that bluetooth?

Could you use different (non-Apple) ones before this DSDT?

Also your DVD player did it works with your previous DSDT? (and it is a SATA drive?)

If you use the new PC EFI bootloader from Netkas then you can remove CPUInjector.kext

@ spacr

From what I have learned since looking deeper in to DSDT, there isn't really any difference in the DSDT's from BIOS F10 and F11b. Maybe that's down to Gigabyte supplying a poor, generic DSDT for it's boards, I don't know? Also by trying different DSDT's for other Gigabyte motherboards has proved that the system can still function so my previous beliefs about having to build one for your exact system seems now not to be true. As the one I have posted here is built by Master Chief and I have only had to tweak it very slightly.

Note: Having said that, I wouldn't try using a DSDT from a different manufacturer though.

Blackosx, good morning and thanx for the fast reply again :)

i wasn't able to wake my system with mouse and keyboard with my previous DSDT. now it's better of course -- the mouse wakes the the system :) i'll try to remove those kexts and report it back.

So, i removed NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler kexts and my system is OK again:

1. Restart, Shutdown, Sleep are working;

2. Only mouse wakes the system, but i can live without the keyboard not waking it since mouse wakes it;

I would like to ask about this issue (screenshot attached): Im using Apple keyboard and when i attach to it a USB pen drive the following message appears (see attached screenshot). I can live with this, since i have at least 4 USB ports where i can attach pen drives, but Im curious how can i fix it (if possible). Could it be related somehow to my PSU (450W)?

Is anybody else having trouble updating the bios to 11b?

I have a EP45-DS3L Rev 1, but anytime I try to update the bios past F7, my system barely posts.

When it finally does post, it reboots every time it loads an OS (Leopard, Linux or Windows).

This is what I did:

1. Download bios file to flash drive.

2. Reboot and press END to enter QFlash.

3. Flash Bios.

4. Upon reboot, enter BIOS and Load optimized defaults.

5. Reboot, enter BIOS again, change everything back to AHCI, proper voltages and clock speeds (which always seem to get messed up on update), restart again.

6. Re-flash to F7 as the update borks any OS from booting.

7. Pull my hair and wonder why F7 works without even loading defaults.

8. Die a little inside.

Any suggestions?

Looks like your overclocking? When i used my oc settings from f10 ( q6600 to 3.15 from 2.4 w/o changing vcore) it would only boot after ~ 7 tries. Try to reduce your fsb mhz and increase the vcore slightly.

@blackosx

Maybe u could include this fix in the next version of ur guide:

1. Find Device (PWRB)

2. Replace Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C")) with Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

3. Now u can sleep by shortly pressing the powerbutton

hi.

for my first dsdt file i followed your guide. the only fix i applied was CMOS fix.

now i tried master chief's dsdt file. it's working very well. very fast shutdown. wake up from sleep via usb mouse works fine. (but keyboard doesn't)

but what kexts can i delete now?

i'm currently using...

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

now i tried master chief's dsdt file. it's working very well. very fast shutdown. wake up from sleep via usb mouse works fine. (but keyboard doesn't)

but what kexts can i delete now?

i'm currently using...

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

You can remove IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

As for power management, your machine will run without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, and as SleepEnabler is only there to allow sleep when using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, you can remove that too. But note, your CPU temperatures will be higher doing this and that's why others are adding SpeedStepping to their DSDT's.

@blackosx

Maybe u could include this fix in the next version of ur guide:

1. Find Device (PWRB)

2. Replace Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C")) with Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

3. Now u can sleep by shortly pressing the powerbutton

Hi DieBuche, the new DSDT posted here already has that fix. ;)

I would like to ask about this issue (screenshot attached): Im using Apple keyboard and when i attach to it a USB pen drive the following message appears (see attached screenshot). I can live with this, since i have at least 4 USB ports where i can attach pen drives, but Im curious how can i fix it (if possible). Could it be related somehow to my PSU (450W)?

Has this problem only started with the new DSDT?

Blackosx,

In my macbook 5,1 (unibody macbook aluminum), when I run CPUX, the cpu doesn't have speed step, (but it actually does... idk if that makes sense, it just doesnt show it)... I installed voodoopowermini, then in CPUX the MHz started moving, but either way, battery life was same, temperature were the same...

could it be that voodoopowermini just let tools "show" that MHz changing by speedstep, but speedstep is actually enabled anyway?

@Blackosx

no this problem was active also with the DSDT i patched myself. it's not something i can't live without :angel: just asked if there's somebody who might give an explanation.

Hey BlackOSX, I have an update.

I applied the SATA, and USB Fix, they both work. The drives are still mounted when waking from sleep, and the SATA is recognized, it used to display orange/yellow External Harddrive Icons without the USB Logo for my HDDs (Its fine with the AHCI kext though, but i removed it) but with the SATA Fix, it works.

I have to note though my chipset is ICH10R not ICH10.

My kexts in the Extensions folder are these:

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I might put CPUInjector.kext in there for my CPU in About This Mac or w/e IDK if there is a fix for that wihtout a kext, if there is please tell me hehe.. But do you think that's much as I can strip down? (Of course i have the DSDT.aml file in there)

my computer restarts, shutsdown, sleeps and wakes fine, but I need 3 fixes (I couldnt find them)

1. Press power button shortly to put it in sleep.

2. Enable SpeedStep

3. Wakup from Keyboard/Mouse fix

I thinlk those 3 can be done in DSDT if im right.

I cannot tell the temperature atm, it only reports my HDD.

but yea thnaks for your guide!

If you don't mind can you point me to a direction, or post link/page number where might the 3 fixes be?

Thanks again