NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

Great news!

But i have to say, with new displays I am really considering towards a real iMac, even though it is so expensive... Still, the display alone would cost well over 1000 €, so the AOC price of 1700 € for the i7 model is not really unreasonable...

The irony of these new iMacs is that, although they give the vanilla kernel we need to build a hack pro, the higher-up nes are actually... well, not a bad deal! The upgrades are still, for the most part, a total ripoff though, which is disappointing.

The irony of these new iMacs is that, although they give the vanilla kernel we need to build a hack pro, the higher-up nes are actually... well, not a bad deal! The upgrades are still, for the most part, a total ripoff though, which is disappointing.

Yeah- they are mouth wateringly awesome... I especially love the magic mouse- and I just ordered one. :D But I would say it is a good deal if you are looking for a complete new machine and have no useable peripherals or monitor. Not being sour grapes or anything, but can you imagine the margins on these $2000 i5 machines! I love Apple and continually buy their products, but for the specs you're paying about twice what you would for a similar Hackintosh mid-tower.

But then, you're always paying Steve for the R&D and Design dept. And that I do not mind doing from time to time. I.E. iPods, iPhones, Powerbook G4 12", Apple Bluetooth keyboard, etc... ;)

...did someone say tablet?

Well i would like to congratulate all the early adopters in this thread. I know its been rough and uncertain at times, but Apple's announcment today that they will be using i5 and i7 CPUs in the new iMacs clears up all doubts about vanilla lynnfield support. Lucky for me i had been planning to build a system in November anyways and this should all line up nicely.

However depending on when 10.6.2 is released it may not necessarily come with Lynnfield support. Apple often releases new machines with updated OS and Kernel (but using the same version number as un-updated general release versions) before releasing a general OS update that includes all the changes for everyone else.

For instance, the current 10.6.1 that everyone is using is build 10B504.

Apple could ship new machines with OS still called 10.6.1, but a build 10B633 for instance.

Then later on release 10.6.2 and update all machines to the same build.

This for instance was the case with the Unibody Macbook Pros based on Nvidia chipsets. And actually its been the case for almost all new machine releases that i can remember.

So if Apple sends us 10.6.2 before the November release of the Lynnfield iMacs, we may have to wait for 10.6.3 to get our hands on the kernel... or alternatively use the restore discs that come with the Lynnfeild iMacs.

In any case, for Retail-Vanilla installs we are going to want updated retail discs that have the proper kernel and OS build from the initial install.

Basically, might still be some waiting ahead but at least we know we are safe in buying Lynnfield.

Great news!

g\

Well i would like to congratulate all the early adopters in this thread. I know its been rough and uncertain at times, but Apple's announcment today that they will be using i5 and i7 CPUs in the new iMacs clears up all doubts about vanilla lynnfield support. Lucky for me i had been planning to build a system in November anyways and this should all line up nicely.

However depending on when 10.6.2 is released it may not necessarily come with Lynnfield support. Apple often releases new machines with updated OS and Kernel (but using the same version number as un-updated general release versions) before releasing a general OS update that includes all the changes for everyone else.

Apple could ship new machines with OS still called 10.6.1, but a build 10B633 for instance.

This for instance was the case with the Unibody Macbook Pros based on Nvidia chipsets. And actually its been the case for almost all new machine releases that i can remember.

So if Apple sends us 10.6.2 before the November release of the Lynnfield iMacs, we may have to wait for 10.6.3 to get our hands on the kernel... or alternatively use the restore discs that come with the Lynnfeild iMacs.

In any case, for Retail-Vanilla installs we are going to want updated retail discs that have the proper kernel and OS build from the initial install.

Basically, might still be some waiting ahead but at least we know we are safe in buying Lynnfield.

Great news!

g\

The new C2D iMacs are available in store today. Is it possible they shipped with the updated version of OSX?

The new C2D iMacs are available in store today. Is it possible they shipped with the updated version of OSX?

Probably not - they only need firmware that is already in place. If the i5/i7's came out today as well, it might be different, but in that case it would not matter.

We are stuck waiting for at least 12 more days, but after waiting months, it doesn't seem that long. The time will come.

Great news!

g\

I would like to second this thanks to the people who worked hard on getting this generation CPU to work without help from Apple. Going in, and spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on something uncertain is gutsy, and every one of the fixes we have currently is the result of your efforts. We all appreciate your work, and enjoyed spectating the good work :)

In response to Genzai, I would simply say that when we get the kernel mostly depends on if the i5/i7 iMacs are released before or after 10.6.2. Before, and we would get it by 6.2; after, and we would probably have to wait (cringe) even longer, until either 10.6.3 or an intermediary update.

However, I actually wouldn't be completely surprised if Apple released 10.6.2 before the i5/i7's but still included the kernel, simply because they probably wouldn't deliberately create a faux 6.1 or 6.2 without a REALLY good reason, withholding the kernel not really being one.

I am assuming that the Magic Mouse that comes with it would need some sort of installation on the iMac itself, which means they would either pre-install it on just the iMacs or pop it into 6.2 (which to me makes more sense). That would strengthen the odds of them throwing everything else into the bag: compatibility tweaks for the graphics and CPUs included.

Just my two cents.

Great news!

g\

The only difference between the C2D 27" and the i5/i7 27" is the processor, and yet they are delaying the i5/i7 to november. It's awfully suspicious that both 10.6.2 and the i5/i7 versions of the iMac are getting shipped right about the same time. The only other reason for them to delay the i5/i7 shipments is if they were waiting on the hardware or something, but Lynnfield has been readily available for some time now and are already available in dell desktops. I might expect a delay if they used Clarksfield but can't imagine Lynnfield is holding them up. I'd put my money on P55 support in 10.6.2.

So is it safe to say now that we could buy the P55 boards and we should be able to get them working after the release of the new software comes out?

Continuing that question, which board does everyone think will be (most) supported? The Asus p7p55d LE, the lower end Gigabyte, the others? If anyone could provide just a guess or a feeling, that would be tremendously helpful.

I have to build a new rig right now, and I'll gladly do testing on it if anyone wants me to, but I really need to pull the trigger on a purchase soon.

Continuing that question, which board does everyone think will be (most) supported? The Asus p7p55d LE, the lower end Gigabyte, the others? If anyone could provide just a guess or a feeling, that would be tremendously helpful.

I have to build a new rig right now, and I'll gladly do testing on it if anyone wants me to, but I really need to pull the trigger on a purchase soon.

I've had good luck w/my Gigabyte P55-UD4P. Firewire works OOB, sound just needs the VoodooHDA kext to work. Everything else works fine too. Only issue so far is using my iPhone over USB but I think everybody w/P55 boards is having that problem. Would love if it you got the same thing so you could help us figure out why the iphone stuff won't work B)

Most of the people seem to have a Gigabyte board when I scan signatures, myself included.

As far as P55 motherboards, I think I may pickup the Intel BOXDP55WG. The thing I like most about this board is all the legacy stuff is gone, no more ATA, no more PS2, very clean. I've been very happy with my Intel badaxe2 board for my Hackintosh, but it's time to upgrade.

The only difference between the C2D 27" and the i5/i7 27" is the processor, and yet they are delaying the i5/i7 to november. It's awfully suspicious that both 10.6.2 and the i5/i7 versions of the iMac are getting shipped right about the same time. The only other reason for them to delay the i5/i7 shipments is if they were waiting on the hardware or something, but Lynnfield has been readily available for some time now and are already available in dell desktops. I might expect a delay if they used Clarksfield but can't imagine Lynnfield is holding them up. I'd put my money on P55 support in 10.6.2.

That may very well be. I am not a betting man, but i just want to re-iterate that if 10.6.2 ships ahead of the Lynn iMacs it probably wont have the needed kernel. At least if history teaches us.

When Unibody Nvidia chipset Macbook Pros arrived, there was still no support in the "current 10.5.5" release of the OS that could be used on Hac 9400 based machines. That's because Apple shipped the new machines with "10.5.5" but an updated build and kernel. We had to get our hands on a Unibody restore disc and either do a package install or actually install (restore style) from a real Unibody machine to get the retail OS on the Hacs.

This was eventually remedied by the release of 10.5.6 which included the updates needed by the Unibody and also lots of other stuff apple patches when they do updates. And finally Apple started selling retail copies of 10.5.6 DVDs in the store and everything was smooth from there. but it all took a while.

I observed the same pattern of releases for the macbook air, and nehelam mac pros, basically every time the base hardware gets shifted. So its the way Apple seems to do it. There is no way they would release an update 10.6.2 after the Lynn iMac was out that didn't support the needed kernel, but if 10.6.2 is first i think its going to be a pain until 10.6.3 based retail DVDs arrive.

And remember they did not say when in Nov the new iMacs would be shipping. It could be later in that month.

As others have noted the Gigabyte boards have historically done well with OS X. But many boards from other vendors also work well, especially now that everyone is modding DSDT. Basically you want to look at the components (LAN, Sound, eSATA, etc) on the board and see if they are OS X friendly.

One great thing about this thread is that even without vanilla kernel or SL support many people have been able to get 10.5 installed on their P55 machines (some even 10.6). So check the thread and those reporting the most compatible hardware so far will still be great options when vanilla kernels arrive.

g\

I've had good luck w/my Gigabyte P55-UD4P. Firewire works OOB, sound just needs the VoodooHDA kext to work. Everything else works fine too. Only issue so far is using my iPhone over USB but I think everybody w/P55 boards is having that problem. Would love if it you got the same thing so you could help us figure out why the iphone stuff won't work ;)

I've also had good luck with the Gigabyte P55-UD4P using the 10.5.8 Voodoo Kernel. Sleep doesn't work.

Has anyone with the Gigabyte boards given eSATA a try? I've got two identical drives. One internal, one eSATA. I get an easy 45MB/s on the internal one, but only 34MB/s on the eSATA drive. OS X sees them both as internal. I've got a good enclosure, but only one so I can't test another.

UPDATE: It's my enclosure. Apparently eSATA enclosures that offer other ports (eg USB) are often very cheap. I have a $50 Antec enclosure but it uses a cheap chipset. That's the problem. If you go with eSATA, you're better off with an enclosure that's eSATA only.

I bought an Asus P7P55 for my new build and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or exchange for a Gigabyte. I only have a few days left to make the decision. Are Asus boards troublesome to get working with Hackintosh builds? Will I be sacrificing overclocking ability if I exchange for a P55 Gigabyte board?

I just wanted to tell you guys that I am in the midst of compiling a list of parts that are tops in terms of compatibility for the LGA 1156 platform, to help me and others in the building process. I will try hard to get this out by Oct. 31st, but I also want it to be thorough for those who are newer to the Hackintosh community. Call it a "Hackintosh for Dummies" if you will.

I also plan to post a walkthrough of my own personal i7 build, and a general-reference guide to a general assembly of an i5/i7 machine. I am looking forward to this in particular :)

If you guys want to help out with the parts list, though, please do! I am focusing more on the motherboards (obviously) and the graphics (obviously again), and any input as to what works and doesn't work would be appreciated. Just e-mail me at vgm10.000@hotmail.com

Thanks

I just wanted to tell you guys that I am in the midst of compiling a list of parts that are tops in terms of compatibility for the LGA 1156 platform, to help me and others in the building process. I will try hard to get this out by Oct. 31st, but I also want it to be thorough for those who are newer to the Hackintosh community. Call it a "Hackintosh for Dummies" if you will.

Sounds great, I look forward to it! Here is my proposed parts list which comes to about $900, but obviously there's not much to worry about beyond the motherboard and video card. The UD4P might be preferable due to its better thermal characteristics. I do wonder if I need a dedicated ethernet card or if the onboard lan will work.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 - Retail

(2x for 8gb) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK - Retail

ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active ... - Retail

As far as P55 motherboards, I think I may pickup the Intel BOXDP55WG. The thing I like most about this board is all the legacy stuff is gone, no more ATA, no more PS2, very clean. I've been very happy with my Intel badaxe2 board for my Hackintosh, but it's time to upgrade.

I liked the looks of the Intel P55 boards as well. Only thing that scares me is the 82578DC LAN chipset on all of them. It's really new and I haven't found anyone reporting success or failure with it in OS X.

Anybody have info on this chipset?

By the way, what's the difference between the and the WG KG? Just the eSATA and the extra two SATA ports? Doesn't seem to justify a $100 price difference...

I do wonder if I need a dedicated ethernet card or if the onboard lan will work.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I am pretty sure that it should work for both the UD3R and the UD4P. They are both on the parts list I am currently building, and either of them will provide full functionality (The UD4P has some sleep issues that I cannot find a solution for; the UD3R has some issues with System Profiler and Sync that I cannot find a solution for).

Quick question to all readers:

Can anyone find any conclusive evidence that the following Intel boards are supported (even if things like profiler, sync, and sleep are buggy)?

They are:

Intel BOXDP55WB

Intel BOXDP55KG

Intel BOXDP55WG

Intel BOXDP55SB

I can only find that, theoretically, all of them should work, since they use "supported" LAN, Audio and whatnot, but after a bit of research I can't find a build with any of these!

Help would be fantastic - Thanks

VGM10000

Sounds great, I look forward to it! Here is my proposed parts list which comes to about $900, but obviously there's not much to worry about beyond the motherboard and video card. The UD4P might be preferable due to its better thermal characteristics. I do wonder if I need a dedicated ethernet card or if the onboard lan will work.

I have a UD4P that I'm typing this on right now. I've gotten an iDeneb 10.5.8 install going, and a retail Snow Leopard install (w/custom qoopz custom kernel) going with the onboard ethernet. You just need the Realtek10000 Kext for it to work.

i cant wait till Apple updates SL to add in the new kernel that supports Lynnfield, but how will i integrate this update into my 10.6.0 retail DVD? can i download the combo update and make a custom install DVD image using Pacifist? or wont this work?

im trying to not download a whole OS X image as i have a data limit here in Australia and dont wont to download 6-7 gigs in one day :D

So far so good with my P55M-UD2 build. I only have three problems left.

1) Real Time Clock isn't keeping time correctly. It is a bit fast and I keep getting VBL too high errors for IOHIDSystem. I don't have my i5 over-clocked, just my ram has a performance profile applied to it.

2) About this Mac I cant seem to get to behave correctly, it crashes the finder and boots me back to the desktop.

3) VoodooHDA only recognizes my front analog audio out port, not the back port. I am just using the standard VoodooHDA.kext, is there a patched one that fixes this?

You can see what I have applied bellow. I got most of the files from kexts.com and Netkas's website. Only difference is my dsdt.aml that I got from Tony's thread a few pages back. The RTC issue is my only major concern as it prevents animations and 3D games from being run due to the timing issues. Unless something requires precise timing calls it all seems to be ok.

So far so good with my P55M-UD2 build. I only have three problems left.

1) Real Time Clock isn't keeping time correctly. It is a bit fast and I keep getting VBL too high errors for IOHIDSystem. I don't have my i5 over-clocked, just my ram has a performance profile applied to it.

2) About this Mac I cant seem to get to behave correctly, it crashes the finder and boots me back to the desktop.

3) VoodooHDA only recognizes my front analog audio out port, not the back port. I am just using the standard VoodooHDA.kext, is there a patched one that fixes this?

You can see what I have applied bellow. I got most of the files from kexts.com and Netkas's website. Only difference is my dsdt.aml that I got from Tony's thread a few pages back. The RTC issue is my only major concern as it prevents animations and 3D games from being run due to the timing issues. Unless something requires precise timing calls it all seems to be ok.

Hey I have this same board. Sound works with DSDT and legacy kext in the E/E Folder instead of VoodoHDA which to be sucks on this board as it is hit or miss if it will even work.

I have audio working perfect. I will get home and attach my DSDT and kext for audo. Just have to remote voodoohda and put back vanilla applehda. I have not touched anything on the install of SL itself expect modbin kernel and PCI 10.4 for graphics injection. Good thing is I finally have it working without being all hacked up, updates and new supported CPU kernel will be a breeze because all the actuall SL installation wont be touched.