NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

- Graphics Card Support

- Base Builds (different price points, different uses, different needs, etc.)

- Motherboard Reviews

- Complete Step-By-Step Installation Guide (See LifeHacker's SL guide as an example here: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...e=true&s=i)

- Other Ideas?

As far as mobo reviews go, links to other sites (and youtube videos, some of those are really well done) are sufficient, it seems like Tom's Hardware and others have done a really thorough job of enumerating the differences between all the boards. Graphics cards would be a good addition as they tend to make my eyes glaze over. I don't want to be stuck with a $200 card that doesn't work right in SL. The step-by-step installation guide would be awesome. I nearly gave up on P55 because the simplicity of the LH guide was so attractive, but I snapped out of it.

I'm about going to built up an P55 hack too and I need some advice regarding parts. I want to use it for video editing (FCP) and sound (Logic or PT) and I have some hesitations.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 with corei5 is my first option because of the price but I'm wondering if will be enough !

Any recomandations are welcome

VGM10000's advice is mostly right, the rule should be if you prefer maximum performance for work OR games, therefore invest your money either in i7 860 or better graphics.

personaly my advice is buy better cpu, as you were asking for advice for >editing< system. FCP and Final Cut Studio in particular benefits the most from CPU power, only Motion and Color uses GPU. Some of the FCP filters can be procesed using graphics card, but 99% uses CPU.

i5 doesnt have the hyperthreading and has lower frequency than i7 860, FCP is very good at threading and more cpu power+threads = faster work (especialy if you setup compressor as local cluster, u will see what im talking about). of course a lot of this procesing power in FCP depends on the filters u use, some of the companies (like magic bullet) dont care about threading and their filters dont scale well. but all of stock fcp filters work wery well with threading as does all the work in fcp. none of them use GPU

GPU in this state of FCP/FCS play very little role (except for Motion, Color). FCP programming architecture is old, so it cant use opencl and grand central dispatch as of yet. they plan it in next revision, but they have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch. so GPU will be useful somewhere in the future, just not now or in say half a year at least. (think i read somewhere they will show new fcp at NAB)

if you can afford it, buy i7. if you dont, i5 will suffice (at sacrificing hyperthreading/your time)

ps: example worth the words: in pc/windows benchmarks for h.264 i5 750 is 22% slower than i7 860 . i5 750 has the same power as old q9650 in this benchmark

pps: im looking into new editing rig too, going from lga775 q6600 nvidia 8800gt. i will buy core i7 920 rig. easier overclocking, well known motherboards and excelent support on these forums are worth the extra money. editing pays for my living so i want 100% reliability...

Thank both of you for yours advices.

Before the new i7,i5 are out, I was thinking about i7 720 DO too. Is not easy to choose. i7 860 seems to be a little better than 920 and it has low consummation !!!

Not easy at all

Hi all,

I have a set of ASUS P7P55D + i5 750. XP + Windows7 + Ubuntu installed.

Now Mac is running smoothly except the audio. Strangely once I boot into Mac, then back to either of the systems above, they do not sound at all. The first time I had this problem I thought my MOBO had defeat. I went back to the retailer, they installed a new xp, it worked! All my systems worked too. Now I boot into Mac, the same thing happens. Any idea?

I have VoodooHDA installed.

To alleviate some of the issues that people have been having, I've decided to write my method (not definitive by any means) to install Snow Leopard retail on P55 boards with a Core i5 750. And more importantly, the files that I use currently for a smooth running stable system. This guide may be modified to do it with other boards, but here are my build specs:

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 -

Sparkle Nvidia Geforce 9400GT

4GB Ripjaws DDR3 (2 x 2gb)

To install, all you need to do is follow Prasys' guide specifically under the #1 USB Install method. http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

After installing, you can use the patched Chameleon RC3 i5 boot file, DSDT.aml file and /Extras folder in the filepack tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip.

Also, download the Qoopz voodoo variant here (you'll need it to boot): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191606

And I included 2 kexts currently only working when placed in System/Library/Extensions directly: NVEnabler.kext and RealtekR1000.kext. Install these with Kext Helper b7 (google it). Kext Utility is included in the zip as well. Use it after installing kexts.

Good luck! Thanks to everyone in this thread! And to those who helped me!

Thank you for the guide, I have an almost identical setup but have been unable to get SL to boot. Have recreated the USB stick several times and the SL install goes fine. The problem is when I try to boot into SL it shows the Apple logo for a split second and then reboots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the guide, I have an almost identical setup but have been unable to get SL to boot. Have recreated the USB stick several times and the SL install goes fine. The problem is when I try to boot into SL it shows the Apple logo for a split second and then reboots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

first copy the Qoopz voodoo file from tonymacx86

Then try to boot using -v busratio=20 cpus=1 -x

to write it you need to press twice the tab button when you see the chamaleon logo

that worked for me.

The latest Gigabyte P55-UD3 BIOS beta (F4o) seems to address the iPhone sync issue:

"4. Fix iphone sync issue"

I just updated to the Gigabyte P55-UD2 Bios (F4n) and can confirm that I no longer have to have my USB 2.0 hub plugged in at boot to sync iPod Touch/iPhone. And with all of that testing, it turns out it was a bios issue. :)

Also, in reference to the restart loop at boot in Snow Leopard, upon 1st boot, you need to stop Chameleon in the boot 'countdown' by pressing any key, then enter either

arch=i386

or

-force64

As soon as you can, put my Extra folder in your root- it has a kernel flag in the boot.plist for this. Then you won't have to pause the Chameleon loader anymore. The Qoopz kernel will take care of the busratio=20 part in SL. Also make sure that you are using the modified boot for i5 boards.

Fortunately, 10.6.2 will be out in a matter of days, and the entire process will be much easier. Can't wait to have a fully vanilla OSX! :) I'm going to do some testing as soon as the update comes out. I'll try to post a guide to update anyone's non-vanilla 10.6.1 to vanilla 10.6.2. I think we're going to need someone with a new iMac for the smbios.plist. Then we can monkey around with the kexts.

Should be an interesting week! :D

Fortunately, 10.6.2 will be out in a matter of days, and the entire process will be much easier. Can't wait to have a fully vanilla OSX! :) I'm going to do some testing as soon as the update comes out. I'll try to post a guide to update anyone's non-vanilla 10.6.1 to vanilla 10.6.2. I think we're going to need someone with a new iMac for the smbios.plist. Then we can monkey around with the kexts.

Should be an interesting week! :)

I am wondering as to what degree this will simplify things... I can understand that no matter what you do, it can get complicated, but still...

I would love it if a more automated process could get set up, sort of like what you see with the auto-install in the Lifehacker guide, only because it would concentrate everything - the vanilla kernel, the nvidia graphics drivers, the motherboard kexts, etc. - into a dead simple installer that you could find easily. Even if it weren't just a few clicks but rather a package of everything you would need... that would be awesome.

This will hopefully be seen as the new quad-core imacs are released around the corner... I am still working on the guide, and I hope that we can compile an easy guide to getting a p55 hackintosh up and running. My $ is just collecting dust in anticipation!

As said earlier, I plan to release the final guide shortly after the iMacs come out.

VGM10000

first copy the Qoopz voodoo file from tonymacx86

Then try to boot using -v busratio=20 cpus=1 -x

to write it you need to press twice the tab button when you see the chamaleon logo

that worked for me.

Thanks for the reply, I was able to get it working earlier today by copying the modified mach_kernel file from the flash drive to the hard drive after the SL install so I guess I was missing a step somewhere. Everything is working great except my IDE DVD-RW drive is not being detected at all, any ideas for that?

Thanks again.

On my i7 860/ASUS P7P55D Deluxe in SL 10.6 with Qoopz Voodoo kernel clock run too fast (kernel option fsb=133333333 in com.apple.boot.plist partialy corrected this problem), with modbin.432 kernel all ok.

Hey everyone! Great news about 10.6.2. I've ordered a new build and am hoping to try out a hackintosh config:

-_-:D

CPU: Intel i5-750 Quad Core Processor - 2.66 GHz, 8MB Cache, 2.5 GT/sec, Socket 1156, 45 nm, 3 Year Warranty, Retail Boxed

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3-SDRAM Unbuffered Non-ECC CL7 DIMM Memory (Kit of 2) (KHX1333C7D3K2/4G)

Graphics: ASUS EN9400GT/DI/512MD2(LP) - Graphics adapter - GF 9400 GT - PCI Express 2.0 x16 low profile - 512 MB DDR2 - Digital Visual Interface (DVI), HDMI ( HDCP )

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-p55m-ud2 Motherboard Core I7 Socket 1156 Intel P55 Micro Atx Raid Gigabit Ethernet Lan

Hard drive: Intel X25-M SATA II, SSD, 80GB

I have an MSI P55-CD53 working pretty well with 10.6.1 and I am currently downloading and installing 10.6.2 using Software Update. I have deleted the SleepEnabler.kext and I am going to likely have to manually copy the new mach_kernel (and old qoopz kernel to be safe to my EFI partition) and I'll let ya'll know what I break. If you don't hear from me within an hour, I broke something with magnificance.

I have an MSI P55-CD53 working pretty well with 10.6.1 and I am currently downloading and installing 10.6.2 using Software Update. I have deleted the SleepEnabler.kext and I am going to likely have to manually copy the new mach_kernel (and old qoopz kernel to be safe to my EFI partition) and I'll let ya'll know what I break. If you don't hear from me within an hour, I broke something with magnificance.

I'm running an i5 with Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 MB, installed SL on a spare hard drive and ran the update. I can confirm that my system is hanging on boot after the update. Really glad I did not install on my main drive...:)

64-bit works on the i5! I am using i5boot and this upgrtade finally automatically detected as quad core xeon and 64bit apps can finally load for me. That was a problem I _was_ having before 10.6.2, but my realtek r1000 ethernet is not working, so I am sending this from my phone.

A few things to note for today's events:

> 10.6.2 has been released, and as far as the vanilla kernel being in the update itself, we don't seem to be too fortunate. However, I have seen one report here and two others in different forums that the fresh update actually improves 64-bit support for i5's.

> However, the kernel not being present is not too large a setback due to confirmed shipments of the i5 quad core iMacs, with the i7's reported to start shipping within the next few days. At last...

> What is unusual is that the update came immediately after the shipments, yet there is nothing to show for a p55 kernel (at least, that is reported). You would expect for the iMacs to have a different version of 10.6.1 that has the kernel, but since the OS must have been installed several days ago, either the update MUST have the kernel and the computers have 10.6.1, or the iMacs have an edited 10.6.2 and Apple held back on the release of the update. The second is not very likely...

What do you guys think? I am drooling over my plans for a build right now...

64-bit works on the i5! I am using i5boot and this upgrtade finally automatically detected as quad core xeon and 64bit apps can finally load for me. That was a problem I _was_ having before 10.6.2, but my realtek r1000 ethernet is not working, so I am sending this from my phone.

me to, my realtek r1000 ethernet is not working, the rest looks pretty good.

I only made a update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 with an GA-P55-UD3 i5-Core

me to, my realtek r1000 ethernet is not working, the rest looks pretty good.

I only made a update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 with an GA-P55-UD3 i5-Core

My RealtekR1000 worked fine after the update, one think you may want to try is re-copying the RealtekR1000.kext file to your extensions folder, running the Kext Utility App and then rebooting. That's what I had to do to get it working for 10.6.0.

My RealtekR1000 worked fine after the update, one think you may want to try is re-copying the RealtekR1000.kext file to your extensions folder, running the Kext Utility App and then rebooting. That's what I had to do to get it working for 10.6.0.

Now it works, but in 32bit Mode (bootflag arch=i386)

i think we need an 64bit RLT8111D Driver, ??