NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

Thanks for the work,

you give pretty useful informations...by the way still looking for musicians with the p7p55d who could tell me how they're doing with their setup. I've my system at home and I'll begin my installation of snow leopard. since it's my first time, could someone tell me where to look for my initiation ? for example do I have to install a dual boot with windows for example ??

Thanks a lot to everyone here.

Sorry for the delay!

Here is Version 0.2 of the parts guide:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zolywzl2zdx

Please critique, edit, praise, etc. - VGM10000

thanks!

but why dont you just attach the pdf to your post? using Mediafire is slow for me and adds a few more clicks.

When I try to, I get an error saying "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file."

I wish it DID work :D

To alleviate some of the issues that people have been having, I've decided to write my method (not definitive by any means) to install Snow Leopard retail on P55 boards with a Core i5 750. And more importantly, the files that I use currently for a smooth running stable system. This guide may be modified to do it with other boards, but here are my build specs:

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 -

Sparkle Nvidia Geforce 9400GT

4GB Ripjaws DDR3 (2 x 2gb)

To install, all you need to do is follow Prasys' guide specifically under the #1 USB Install method. http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

After installing, you can use the patched Chameleon RC3 i5 boot file, DSDT.aml file and /Extras folder in the filepack tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip.

Also, download the Qoopz voodoo variant here (you'll need it to boot): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191606

And I included 2 kexts currently only working when placed in System/Library/Extensions directly: NVEnabler.kext and RealtekR1000.kext. Install these with Kext Helper b7 (google it). Kext Utility is included in the zip as well. Use it after installing kexts.

Good luck! Thanks to everyone in this thread! And to those who helped me!

EDIT: I took down the zip file located here, and moved it to my blog- that way I can keep the latest kexts I'm using updated in one spot. Check my signature for the link. :)

Thank you VERY much for this, it should help a lot of people out there.

Hopefully one can be made for the i7 as well, but I would imagine that we should wait until the vanilla kernel is out before anything else, in terms of purchasing and installing. Should be any day now.

Great for what you've done,

Sure it will benefit for many users here. Hoping someone could do the same for an i7 core using an asus p7p55 board. By the way I should be able to do some tries tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Regards

To alleviate some of the issues that people have been having, I've decided to write my method (not definitive by any means) to install Snow Leopard retail on P55 boards with a Core i5 750. And more importantly, the files that I use currently for a smooth running stable system. This guide may be modified to do it with other boards, but here are my build specs:

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 -

To install, all you need to do is follow Prasys' guide specifically under the #1 USB Install method. http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

After installing, you can use the patched Chameleon RC3 i5 boot file, DSDT.aml file and /Extras folder in the filepack tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip.

Also, download the Qoopz voodoo variant here (you'll need it to boot): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191606

And I included 2 kexts currently only working when placed in System/Library/Extensions directly: NVEnabler.kext and RealtekR1000.kext. Install these with Kext Helper b7 (google it). Kext Utility is included in the zip as well. Use it after installing kexts.

Thank you sooo much for your efforts!

I followed the same route installing SL and it worked right from the start.

I still have probs with my Leopard 10.5.7 install on the same machine. After fiddling for days

with gigabytes of codecs and patchers I had to give up since I don´t understand DSDT patching. I can´t get my sound to work on Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 with corei5 with Leopard 10.5.7. Do you have any clues?

Thanks in advance..

Thank you sooo much for your efforts!

I followed the same route installing SL and it worked right from the start.

I still have probs with my Leopard 10.5.7 install on the same machine. After fiddling for days

with gigabytes of codecs and patchers I had to give up since I don´t understand DSDT patching. I can´t get my sound to work on Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 with corei5 with Leopard 10.5.7. Do you have any clues?

Thanks in advance..

On Leopard I used VoodooHDA.kext.

On Snow Leopard I use LegacyHDA.kext with Audio DSDT patch.

(Download the previously posted zip file for the exact version of the LegacyHDA kext.)

To all Gigabyte P55 users,

Could you give me favorite? I would like to collect and compare codec dump of ALC888b, ALC889 (P55A), ALC888, and ALC889a. However, I have no idea which Linux supports P55 and i5/7 LGA1156. Basically Codec verbs of them should be the same.

Please post your result in my thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

Thank you for your kindness.

First, thank all of you guys for your excellent job.

I'm about going to built up an P55 hack too and I need some advice regarding parts. I want to use it for video editing (FCP) and sound (Logic or PT) and I have some hesitations.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 with corei5 is my first option because of the price but I'm wondering if will be enough !

Any recomandations are welcome

regards

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 -

Hi tonymacx86,

I'm a newb Hackintosh world, but I use a macbook as my main machine for my daily computing. Building a machine out of Intel Core i5 750, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L and Nvidia Geforce 9800GT. Followed your instructions - went all over the web to seek for help.

I was able to successfully install SL, but I cannot boot into it. I wanna capture the screen with "-v" kernel flag, but the system shuts down every time its booting SL. The pathed kernel seemed to load fine, but the CPU halted after few secs.

Please help me..

---

Update:

Managed to get it to boot by specifying "maxmem=4096" in boot options. Most probably the kernel still don't support > 4GB of RAM. I have 8GB of RAM.

Hi tonymacx86,

I'm a newb Hackintosh world, but I use a macbook as my main machine for my daily computing. Building a machine out of Intel Core i5 750, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L and Nvidia Geforce 9800GT. Followed your instructions - went all over the web to seek for help.

I was able to successfully install SL, but I cannot boot into it. I wanna capture the screen with "-v" kernel flag, but the system shuts down every time its booting SL. The pathed kernel seemed to load fine, but the CPU halted after few secs.

Please help me..

Are you using the good kernel ?

"Qoopz voodoo variant here (you'll need it to boot): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...ic=191606"

First, thank all of you guys for your excellent job.

I'm about going to built up an P55 hack too and I need some advice regarding parts. I want to use it for video editing (FCP) and sound (Logic or PT) and I have some hesitations.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 with corei5 is my first option because of the price but I'm wondering if will be enough !

Any recomandations are welcome

regards

Theoretically the i7 would be better, since for video editing, having more cores and threads typically does wonders to performance. Most video editing software has been optimized to use many threads... one for audio, one for the program itself, one for the actual track, one for other tracks, etc... That is an oversimplified way of putting it, but it gets the idea across.

However, the extra $80-90 you aren't spending on an i7, if put towards a better graphics card, would probably make up most (if not all) of the difference. I have no clue as to whether or not Final Cut, iMovie (which I presume you don't use, but for the sake of argument I will throw in) or any of Adobe's offerings can utilize 8 threads, simply because only one 8-core (and thus 8-thread) Mac exists right now: the Mac Pro. I personally doubt it.

As for PC video editing software, I think you might be more lucky in that regard.

Of course, Snow Leopard itself will thank you for the boost. Grand Central with 4 threads will tear through anything but multiple video editing and graphics-intensive applications. 8 threads is almost too much for any sane variety or amount of programs, really. You would probably run into other bottlenecks before hitting the ceiling, although keep in mind GC has yet to be fully utilized by every program out there... it will be a while before this technology is mainstream.

In as few words as possible, an i5 should do the job, but don't go crazy in your editing of three 1080p movies at once. If you want to spend as little as possible, get a good-value graphics card that works well with current available fixes.

If you would be willing to buy an i7, you can either go with that, or get an even more powerful graphics card and stick with an i5. I see either choice as a wash... if you play any games, opt for the card; otherwise, the CPU.

Either way it makes for a powerful workstation.

Good luck with the build! Tell us how it goes. - VGM10000

Hello again ppl.

I have been trying to install OS X SL for a while now. (can not get Leopard to install either).

My setup is:

Gigabyte p55 ud3

i5 750 intel cpu

4 gb ram

powercolor ati 4870 GPU

When i use iDeneb latest release with -v cpus=4 busratio=20 and rdisk=1 i get a kernel panic.

I have also tried building a usb-stick like tonymacx86 suggests above here, but it wont boot at all. (must be doing something wrong here).

My last option was to try Psystar´s Rebel EFI, but that did not even start the loading of kexts etc. It just rebooted instantly after inserting the osx dvd.

My goal is to be able to dual boot windows 7 and mac os x on this machine.

Anyone able to help me?

Screenshot of the kernel panic:

web.jpg

On Leopard I used VoodooHDA.kext.

On Snow Leopard I use LegacyHDA.kext with Audio DSDT patch.

(Download the previously posted zip file for the exact version of the LegacyHDA kext.)

Hi there.. thanks for the clue! ;) Voodoohda 0.2.2. (incl. it´s pref.pane) just works great with Leopard 10.5.7. I owe you a beer...! ;)

Hey... your guide makes it possible to build a pretty neat machine running Leo and SnowLeo on the Gigabyte p55-UD2! Thank you very very much indeed!

Intel Core i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 -

Hello tonymacx86,

I trying your installation procedure w/usb stick but get stuck at:

Bug: launchctl.c.2325 (23930):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT , S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR))!= -1
launchctl: dubious ownership of file (skipping): /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
nothing found to load

My rig:

Intel Core i7

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 -

MSI ATI 4870 1GB

4GB Kingston (2 x 2gb)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello tonymacx86,

I trying your installation procedure w/usb stick but get stuck at:

Bug: launchctl.c.2325 (23930):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT , S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR))!= -1
launchctl: dubious ownership of file (skipping): /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
nothing found to load

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Make sure you uncheck "Ignore Permissions on this Volume" on the USB drive. I think that's your issue.

Make sure you uncheck "Ignore Permissions on this Volume" on the USB drive. I think that's your issue.

Thanks tonymacx86. I thought that might be it. I tried that at the end of the steps, but it didn't work. I will try it again from scratch and make sure its done in the right step.

I'm also wondering if the P55/i7 combo requires a different procedure.

Gee

Hello,

me being a complete newbie to the hackintosh scene wants to know if the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P can be exchanged by a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4? I'm from Germany and the P version isn't available here. A research showed that the only differences are a second Gbit LAN controller, a TPM chip and ALC889A with Dolby® license for the P, the version without P features ALC888 instead. Would the version behave similarly? If not, what's about the new GA-P55A-UD4? It features USB 3 and S-ATA 6 GBps. If that would work too (maybe with deactivated USB 3/ S-ATA 6 GBps in the beginning) I would prefer that board. It also comes with more voltage converters which would be better for OC'ers!

Thank you very much,

Arne

Just another suggestion: according to anandtech all boards with the FOXCONN socket (so the older Gigabytes without the A) suffer from contact problems http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3661 and the LOTES socket is far better.

Everything I just said onlyseems to apply if you're overclocking,elsewise it should be tolerable. The new P55A-UD4P uses the better LOTES socket as mentioned here: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13357/video_...ower/index.html

What do you think? The benefit of the old motherboard is the mature BIOS and the smaller price and being very new, there are no reviews of this board until now....

Hello everyone!

If you recall, I said a while ago (right before the first version of the guide) that I would publish a final version by 10-30.

That has turned out not to be the case, but I am actually happy that this happened. I am still getting tips, help, and advice, and I wish I could list off everyone who has given their input!

I will be posting a revised Version 0.3 within the next few days. I plan to continue revisions until the vanilla kernel is out and distro-ready; within the next few days after that, the final version will be made.

Outside of the obvious inclusion of more possible boards, needed kexts/patches, etc, I am considering expanding the guide more. I wanted to know if any of these categories may spark one's interest:

- Graphics Card Support

- Base Builds (different price points, different uses, different needs, etc.)

- Motherboard Reviews

- Complete Step-By-Step Installation Guide (See LifeHacker's SL guide as an example here: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...e=true&s=i)

- Other Ideas?

As much as it is a pain to do the research and all, putting it together is, for me, quite enjoyable. I would again like to say that without you guys plugging in what you know, we wouldn't have any of these guides, but keep in mind that the more I add, the more I will need to reach out! I am sure we could put all those things in the final document if we put ourselves towards that goal.

Keep it up! Thanks - VGM10000