NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

You know what, I'm going to buy the same combo tomorrow. I don't want to wait until I can - if ever - go vanilla with the P55 chipset. I hate having to use a legacy kernel on a new Intel CPU. And this iPhone-not-syncing problem really gets annoying.

That is simply unacceptable. You must keep trying! Think of the children! Think of my children. How am I going to explain the extra 13.5 minutes it takes for their latest {censored} animation to finish rendering? It's just got to be vanilla SL on a P55.

anyone with a Lynnfield build tell us know how it goes. ive just bought a Core i5 build, but havent got all the parts yet, and interested in how it goes with a vanilla Snow Leopard install. just gonna hang out in Windows 7 first until its as easy to install as Penryn... and in Snow Leopard on my MBP of course.

I just bot a GA-P55-UD4P, i5-570, 8gb of g.Skill DDR3 RAM, and a gtx260 video card. I've tried iDeneb, iAtkos, and Leo4All. None of these seem to work, I've tried recommendations found in this thread as well as the ones from this link.

iATKOS v7 Main System

Chameleon v2

/Extra directory

DSDT

AppleDecrypt

9.7.0 Kernal voodoo

Disabler

OHR

Remove TyMCE

nVidia DVI/VGA

AHCI

Intel SATA

JMicron SATA

Voodoo HDA driver

Voodoo PS/2 driver

ext2fs

NTFS-3G

Realtek R1000

Post install-actions

GTX 2XX

EFi string for nvidia

I'm able to get the install fine using cpus=4 busratio=20 and using that at the boot loader. It loads up the Apple screen with the spinning icon then the screen goes black. My system doesn't reboot, it just sits there until I reboot it. If anyone can offer some insight that'd be much appreciated. Am I missing a driver? Am I selecting something I shouldn't be?

Thanks in advance!

PS-- Yes, this is my first attempt at an OSX install.

You should wait until the release of the new iMacs before giving up the P55 chipset. There's still hope for you, guys. :)
Oh, I'm not giving up! I'll go with a patched kernel if that's what it takes. I bought this hardware specifically for this purpose and it's killing me to see it sit with Windows 7. No, Windows 7 isn't that bad, but I want Leopard or Snow Leopard! :-)

I'm able to get the install fine using cpus=4 busratio=20

You can change that to simply busratio=20 the other part isn't necessary.

And for everyone else- I bought the P55 hardware for gaming on the windows side and to run at least Leopard on the Mac side. If running a vanilla kernel or snow leopard isn't possible (maybe ever), I'm ok with that.

A recommendation for anyone purusing this thread (it is part of the buying thoughts and recommendations section) if you are looking to buy new hardware, I would recommend to go with something that you KNOW is going to run on a vanilla kernel- maybe the x58 i7 build or an older Core2 build. As of now, this hardware WILL NOT.

:P :P :P-_-

You can change that to simply busratio=20 the other part isn't necessary.

That and use -v so you can see where it hangs. There's an instance where it hangs at times on boot in one of two places. I haven't seen anyone report that they've fixed this.

And for everyone else- I bought the P55 hardware for gaming on the windows side and to run at least Leopard on the Mac side. If running a vanilla kernel or snow leopard isn't possible (maybe ever), I'm ok with that.

A recommendation for anyone purusing this thread (it is part of the buying thoughts and recommendations section) if you are looking to buy new hardware, I would recommend to go with something that you KNOW is going to run on a vanilla kernel- maybe the x58 i7 build or an older Core2 build. As of now, this hardware WILL NOT.

:P :P :P:)

Yep, same here. I would rather end up with a great PC and no hackintosh than an ok PC and a hack that works for sure and with ease. For now I'm fine using a custom kernel.

Success! (at least so far). After following the lead of our other early adopters, I think I have a stable system. Below is a compilation of the steps I've pulled together from everyone's posts. If I missed anything, or borked something up, let me know and I'll change it. Thanks to everyone here and in the hackintosh community for all the great work.

MY SYSTEM

GA-P55M-UD4

i7-860

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 260 896 MB

3 SATA Hard Drives & 1 SATA Optical Drive

WHAT WORKS

-LAN

-Sound (line out)

-Restart

-Shutdown

-Video QE & CI (one monitor)

-Firewire - See FLAKEY

-USB Highspeed - See FLAKEY and later post.

-Rear eSATA port (p55 chipset) - See FLAKEY

-Front eSATA port (Gigabyte SATA2 chipset) - See FLAKEY.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK (so far)

-Can't wake from sleep. Have to power down.

-Firewire

WHAT'S FLAKEY

-Bus Devices... some connected external bus (USB, eSATA, Firewire) devices (hard drives, KVM, mouse, MBox 2 Pro) can bork rebooting into OS X,. Sometimes disconnecting the device helps. Booting into Vista or the installer disk ALMOST always fixes the problem. This is a bid deal for me. Can't rely on the system until this is fixed.

NO CLUE IF IT WORKS

-7.1 sound

-Dual monitors

DISTRO

-iATKOS v7

KERNEL

-Qoopz 9.8 Voodoo variant

INSTALL

-Use 'busratio=20" kernel flag for start-up option.

-Select the following iATKOS v7 custom options.

---iATKOS v7

---Chameleon V2

---/Extra

---DSDT

---DSMOS

---9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

---APIC driver

---Disabler

---OHR

---Remove TyMCE

---AHCI

---Intel SATA/IDE

---JMicron SATA/IDE

---Voodoo HDA

---Realtek R1000

---Post Install Actions

-Restart

-For now, make sure to continue using the 'busratio=20' kernel flag at start-up.

-Create your user to get to the desktop.

KERNEL & COM.BOOT.APPLE.PLIST

-Use OSX86 Tools to replace kernel with Qoopz 9.8 Voodoo variant.

-Edit com.boot.apple.plist with the following

---change kernel from 'custom' to 'mach_kernel'

---add kernel flag 'busratio=20'

GRAPHICS CARD

-Install Netkas Universal Enabler.

-Install the tweaked Nvidia Retail Mac Driver installer for GTX 2XX

THINGS I WILL TRY SOON

-Updater for Qoopz 10.5.8

-MacFUSE & NTFS-3G (any experience on this messing with shutdown/restart as with other chipset/kernel combinations?)

-Do Snoopy Dance.

WEIRD QUIRKS

This P55 chipset seem less forgiving than others I've had. If there is a system crash, either in Windows or OS X, doing a soft reset does not always reinitialize the hardware layer (ACHI, USB & Firewire). I have to do a hard boot, instead.

EDIT:

FIREWIRE stopped working. Odd little thing happened with my firewire while testing Sleep. I had my MBox 2 Pro plugged-in with an external hard drive. I put the system to Sleep, and since I couldn't wake the system up, I had to restart. Now nothing works with the firewire port. It shows up in system profiler as working. And FW works in Vista. This kind of sucks as I need my MBox for Pro Tools. Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT 2:

OK, WTF? After using Vista to confirm that the FW was, indeed, working, I rebooted back into Leopard and... FW works. I think this should go under the WEIRD QUIRKS category. It's got to be the p55 chipset, again. Once FW was reinitialized by Vista, then FW worked in Leopard? I did several hard and soft reboots with Leopard and no FW. Go into Vista once and FW works again. Weird. Just glad it works.

EDIT 3: FW still working. FW not working. Just having other issues. See my latest post.

PLS tell me what happened and how can i fix it......?thanks

You know what, I'm going to buy the same combo tomorrow. I don't want to wait until I can - if ever - go vanilla with the P55 chipset. I hate having to use a legacy kernel on a new Intel CPU. And this iPhone-not-syncing problem really gets annoying.

I have an iPod Touch 2G and I have absolutely no trouble syncing.

'BSD root: disk2s2, major 14, minor 8' (I've attached a pic of the full screen.) And just sits there, mocking me.

Is there a solution for this boot problem?

I just bought the P55-UD4 with i5 750 and have the same problem. It happend randomly here as well :D

Just wanted to let everyone know that iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite install was painless. This being my first time in OSx86 land I wasn't sure what to expect.

My Hardware:

GA-P55-UD4P

i7 860

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

Nvidia 9500 GT 512MB

500GB Hitachi HD

USB wireless mouse keyboard

Setup procedures:

1. BIOS : disable firewire, enable AHCI

2. Boot DVD: iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite using the -v cpus=4 busratio=20

3. Custom options selected from iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite menu:

---Intel SATA/IDE

---JMicron SATA/IDE

---Voodoo HDA

---Realtek R1000

---Qoopz 9.8 Voodoo

---Netkas Universal Enabler Nvidia 512MB.

--- I believe that was all I selected.

4. Post Install: edit com.boot.apple.plist with the following

---add kernel flag 'cpus=4 busratio=20'

Being a mac virgin :wallbash: , and new to OSx86, I've not kicked the tires long enough to see what is not working correctly or where to look. The firewire doesn't, when I re-enable it in BIOS it appears to be recognized during boot log, but the boot process stalls at "BSD root: disk". Sleep doesn't work.

So with firewire disabled and AHCI enabled, I'm able to boot/surf/play/shutdown/reboot with Leopard 10.5.8. Pretty cool. :wacko: Geekbench gives me a score of 6281... I guess not that good. I see from http://www.trick77.com/2009/10/03/dsdt-dsl...gabyte-p55-ud3/ were able to get 10968!

So what next? I stuck with the minimum options that I understood when installing.

My Hardware:

GA-P55-UD4P

So with firewire disabled

Why do you have FW disabled? Works for me.

Geekbench gives me a score of 6281... I guess not that good. I see from http://www.trick77.com/2009/10/03/dsdt-dsl...gabyte-p55-ud3/ were able to get 10968!

that's a pretty good score. The one you linked to is an i7... plus I think it has something else going for it. If you look at the geekbench site, the only i5 scores higher than yours are either 64bit tests or overclocked.

The one you linked to is an i7... plus I think it has something else going for it. If you look at the geekbench site, the only i5 scores higher than yours are either 64bit tests or overclocked.

Yes, the i7 was moderately overclocked to 3.4 GHz if I remember correctly. I used 1333 DIMMs. The i7 860 is a beast! It's at least as fast as my 1366 i920 2.66 GHz CPU with triple channel 1600 RAM even when running it at 2.8 GHz stock speed AND gets less hot. It's so sad it doesn't run vanilla on Mac OS.

Actually, it is still possible to install the retail version of Mac OS 10.5.6 on Core i5 machines with a customized Boot123 CD.

There is a guide (originally for AMD) about creating a Boot123 CD with preinstalled Voodoo kernel:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140683

I created a Boot123 image based on that guide with the following Kernel extensions:

AppleDecrypt.kext

seatbelt.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

System.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

and then boot the retail DVD with:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v boot-uuid=INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE

Being a mac virgin :unsure: , and new to OSx86, I've not kicked the tires long enough to see what is not working correctly or where to look. The firewire doesn't, when I re-enable it in BIOS it appears to be recognized during boot log, but the boot process stalls at "BSD root: disk". Sleep doesn't work.

Sound like the same problem I had before ;). Try using USBBusFix=Yes at Chameleon boot prompt and see if this works.

I had some difficulties trying to figure out what kexts to install to get the sound to work. I have finally made it work and wanted to share for those that have the same board as I do.

I deleted any existing kexts that had the same name as the ones I was planning to install.

The kexts are found at System/Library/Extensions

I used OSX86 Tools to install the kexts.

The kexts that I used were found on this thread in post #1

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

I used three kexts - the first two were from the "Series of LegacyHDA.zip" and in the series of LegacyHDA 889 (ALC889a) folder

1. HDAEnabler.kext

2. LegacyHDA.kext from within "4outs2ins regular headphone" folder

The third kext was a vanilla AppleHDA.kext found in "Original_AppleHDA.kext_1.6.2a37.zip"

3. AppleHDA.kext

Once I installed them using OSX86 I then used the Run Selected Tasks for:

- Set Extensions permissions

- Clear Extensions Cache

I restarted and hoped for the best. When it booted up I found I had sound in my speakers once I changed the Sound Output settings in the System Preferences and also had some information populated in the System Profiler under the Audio (Built In).

I don't know if it I am getting surround sound or special, all I know is that I am getting 2.1 sound from the green plug on the board and that is what I need for now.

I have finally managed to have Leopard installed with iDeneb 1.5.1 OS 10.5.7.

It looks like more or less stable but I still got some issues with :

Shutdown-Reboot --> it gives me a kernel panic

Sound --> have already tried to install ALC889a kext but it didn't solve it

and my OS 10.5.7 doesn't recognize all the cores. It shows only 1 instead of 4.

Otherwise everything looks good... Firewire, Graphics, Lan, Memory Speed, Sata...

Could you please explain to me what you did, i have pretty much the same set up as you apart from i have the gigabyte GA P55 UD3 motherboard but figuring as there really similar should still work, iv tried about 5 other methods without success so has to be worth a shot.

did you follow a guide as such or could you give me a brief description of what you did

im downloading iDeneb 1.5.1 OS 10.5.7 at the moment.

any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Could you please explain to me what you did, i have pretty much the same set up as you apart from i have the gigabyte GA P55 UD3 motherboard but figuring as there really similar should still work, iv tried about 5 other methods without success so has to be worth a shot.

did you follow a guide as such or could you give me a brief description of what you did

im downloading iDeneb 1.5.1 OS 10.5.7 at the moment.

any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Have a look at iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 lite and refer to the process that xkelly has used on post #99 of this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...6155&st=80#

You might have to consider the different options when installing to work with your video card. I have an ATI card and I think that I selected the ATI HD during the install to make it work. I also had to do a bit to get the sound working which is just a couple of posts before this.

Good luck.

I had some difficulties trying to figure out what kexts to install to get the sound to work. I have finally made it work and wanted to share for those that have the same board as I do.

I deleted any existing kexts that had the same name as the ones I was planning to install.

The kexts are found at System/Library/Extensions

I used OSX86 Tools to install the kexts.

The kexts that I used were found on this thread in post #1

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

I used three kexts - the first two were from the "Series of LegacyHDA.zip" and in the series of LegacyHDA 889 (ALC889a) folder

1. HDAEnabler.kext

2. LegacyHDA.kext from within "4outs2ins regular headphone" folder

The third kext was a vanilla AppleHDA.kext found in "Original_AppleHDA.kext_1.6.2a37.zip"

3. AppleHDA.kext

Once I installed them using OSX86 I then used the Run Selected Tasks for:

- Set Extensions permissions

- Clear Extensions Cache

I restarted and hoped for the best. When it booted up I found I had sound in my speakers once I changed the Sound Output settings in the System Preferences and also had some information populated in the System Profiler under the Audio (Built In).

I don't know if it I am getting surround sound or special, all I know is that I am getting 2.1 sound from the green plug on the board and that is what I need for now.

See this post earlier in the thread - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1277838 - try VoodooHDA. Also note that in my case I found that the front ports and rear ports were different settings in OS X.

:) I'm happy to report Snow Leopard retail install worked! :P

We have to use the Qoopz voodoo variant: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f214/91881.htm

Also, you need to use this new patched Chameleon rc3 boot: http://putisima.net/qoopz/i5boot.zip http://www.sendspace.com/file/ak0769

Here's the guide I used with all necessary downloads: http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

In my Extras folder I have:

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

JMicronATA2

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

LegacyHDA_ALC888B

Also, I had to patch DSDT to prevent CMOS from resetting on reboot. Check out my other post for DSDT download with Audio, CMOS, and USB patches applied. Good luck to all!

Some potentially good news today:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10...core_plans.html

Rumor has it that the next iMac will have a Clarksfield processor, which is the mobile equivalent of Lynnfield. The chipset for Clarksfield is the PM55, which is apparently identical to P55 in function. They started to cut back iMac stock a while ago already so I'm hoping they'll make the announcement this coming tues or next. I think there's a small but real chance we'll see an OS X update enabling P55 by the end of the month.

I don't have Lynnfield but I want to build a hackintosh and I'd rather go with P55 than X58 if both can boot a vanilla 10.6.1 kernel. Think I'll take my chances and wait for P55, at least until they announce the iMac. I don't really see Clarksfield or Lynnfield in any of their other products except maaaybe the mac mini. Lynnfield isn't man enough for the Mac Pro (which was rumored to get a 6 core Gulftown next ahead of Intel's general release) and Clarksfield draws way too much power for the Macbooks. Unless they have some awesome new battery technology, I can see them waiting for the 32nm Arrandale.