NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

So far so good with my P55M-UD2 build. I only have three problems left.

1) Real Time Clock isn't keeping time correctly. It is a bit fast and I keep getting VBL too high errors for IOHIDSystem. I don't have my i5 over-clocked, just my ram has a performance profile applied to it.

2) About this Mac I cant seem to get to behave correctly, it crashes the finder and boots me back to the desktop.

3) VoodooHDA only recognizes my front analog audio out port, not the back port. I am just using the standard VoodooHDA.kext, is there a patched one that fixes this?

You can see what I have applied bellow. I got most of the files from kexts.com and Netkas's website. Only difference is my dsdt.aml that I got from Tony's thread a few pages back. The RTC issue is my only major concern as it prevents animations and 3D games from being run due to the timing issues. Unless something requires precise timing calls it all seems to be ok.

The RTC issue is because you aren't using the special Chameleon boot for i5. I made the same mistake and was like- THIS COMPUTER IS TOO FAST! Just use the i5boot from my other post. Try a different smbios.plist in your extra folder for the About this Mac issue.

;)

The RTC issue is because you aren't using the special Chameleon boot for i5. I made the same mistake and was like- THIS COMPUTER IS TOO FAST! Just use the i5boot from my other post. Try a different smbios.plist in your extra folder for the About this Mac issue.

:angel:

So I have to use the modified boot for the i5 and cant use Netkas's 10.5 boot? Here I thought the i5boot was because it would panic/hang durring boot, not an RTC issue (which is normally linked it the DSDT, OCing, or FSB issue.)

Hey there good ppl.

I am trying to set up my new HTPC to run OS X.

I do not care if it is SL or just Leopard.

My setup is this:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 - MB

Intel Coreâ„¢ i5 Quad Processor i5-750 - CPU

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB - RAM

PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 - Graphics Card

Maxtor 300GB IDE - HDD

My goal is to be able to dual boot Windows 7 and OS X.

I have installed OS X on two dell laptops earlier, so i am not the biggest of noobs, but my experience is limited.

So far I have tried iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition, but i can not get the installer to boot properly. I have tried cpus=4 busratio=20 when i boot. I have enabled AHCI in BIOS (no firewire to disable on UD3.).

when i run with -v the last message i get is:

Still waiting for root device

Do i need an SATA disk to install?

Anyone want to point me in the right direction? I see that most ppl here use i7 instead of i5.

-Kringon

I have a feeling that it's an issue with the UHCI/EHCI USB ports not showing up as built in.

I'm still not able to get my iPhone to sync, all but one of my USB ports are showing as Built-In now. (Device 0x001D0003 is shown as Add-in)

I'm booting using PC EFI v10.5 to 32Bit mode, I don't have USBBusFix enabled.

I've attached my GA-P55-UD2 DSDT.aml, it has RTC & SOUND patched in too, the ALC887 is remapped to a ALC888 codec and I have LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext in /E/E

DSDT.aml.zip

I'm still not able to get my iPhone to sync, all but one of my USB ports are showing as Built-In now. (Device 0x001D0003 is shown as Add-in)

I'm booting using PC EFI v10.5 to 32Bit mode, I don't have USBBusFix enabled.

I've attached my GA-P55-UD2 DSDT.aml, it has RTC & SOUND patched in too, the ALC887 is remapped to a ALC888 codec and I have LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext in /E/E

Thanks- I modified my DSDT with the audio patch and used your LegacyHDA suggestion and it works. As far as the iPhone thing, the only way I can get it to work is to have my USB 2.0 extension cable plugged into the port next to it. It always works this way for me.

I am still working away on the compatible parts list, and rather than put out a final version on the 31'st, I have decided to post a rough draft by the 25'th that others can edit and help revise (due to my unfortunate inability to devote my life to this project :)). I will THEN make a final draft and publish it at the end of the month.

Call it OS candy for halloween.

Also, if anyone knows of a motherboard that isn't gigabyte or intel branded that presumably works in a hackintosh, please email me (or respond in the thread) at vgm10.000@hotmail.com! I am one to prefer gigabyte, but I imagine there are some motherboards from asus, msi or otherwise that could work.

As with any guide, I need input!

Thanks

VGM10000

I was able to successfully install SL on my Asus P7P55D build using the myHack RC4 installer with the kernel that supports i5/AMD. I left everything else set to the installer defaults.

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

I have my i5 750 OC to 3.8GHz. I have a Radeon 4890, and it is stuck using 1024x768. I can't find any working drivers for my Belkin F5D8055 wireless USB device. Sound only works through USB to my Apple Cinema Display, and it doesn't sound very good. It cracks up a lot. Also, Sleep won't work.

I'm amazed it installed and booted without a hitch though!

Oh, I'm unable to boot into Windows 7 with SATA set to AHCI in BIOS. I have to change it back to IDE to be able to get past the loading Windows screen without it rebooting. Shouldn't I be able to go Windows with it set to AHCI mode?

I'm completely new to all of this so I don't know what to do next to begin trying to get stuff working. So, I need to figure out how to get the video working at 1920x1200, sound working through the motherboard output, and my wireless USB device working.

glad to know that it worked for you I have that setup here :

Intel I7 860

asus p7p55d Motherboard

asus pcie rad EAH4350 video card

8 gig corsair dominator memory

raptor sata 300g

Pioneer dl 22/22 sata dvd/rw

since I will use a pro soundcard on the pci slot do you think I will have a succesuful setup?

Hope someone could tell me here since I think that the seller at the store doesn't really know what he is talking about...

I was able to successfully install SL on my Asus P7P55D build using the myHack RC4 installer with the kernel that supports i5/AMD. I left everything else set to the installer defaults.

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

I have my i5 750 OC to 3.8GHz. I have a Radeon 4890, and it is stuck using 1024x768. I can't find any working drivers for my Belkin F5D8055 wireless USB device. Sound only works through USB to my Apple Cinema Display, and it doesn't sound very good. It cracks up a lot. Also, Sleep won't work.

I'm amazed it installed and booted without a hitch though!

Oh, I'm unable to boot into Windows 7 with SATA set to AHCI in BIOS. I have to change it back to IDE to be able to get past the loading Windows screen without it rebooting. Shouldn't I be able to go Windows with it set to AHCI mode?

I'm completely new to all of this so I don't know what to do next to begin trying to get stuff working. So, I need to figure out how to get the video working at 1920x1200, sound working through the motherboard output, and my wireless USB device working.

I am using the same installer for my Gigabyte P55-UD4P board, everything work beautifully until I'm booting straight from the harddrive. It would load the white apple screen, then when you think it's going to load OSX, it goes blank and restarts the computer. However, if I put in the USB boot disk and set the USB as the first booting device, then I am able to choose the harddrive at the menu and boot to OSX with USB as the boot disk.

I am using the Chocolate Kernel that's provided and I believe it's updated with the new i5 boot file.

oh, also, my firewire is enabled, I don't know if that could cause the problem? but it didn't seem like an issue when booting with the USB stick.

HELP!?

What degree of certainty do we have that we're going to have a vanilla kernel for the i7 860? I want to buy my parts, but I'm nervous about never having a really stable kernel. I need this to be my main work horse for Logic Studio, Final Cut, etc., though I don't mind waiting a bit more if I need to to be certain.

What degree of certainty do we have that we're going to have a vanilla kernel for the i7 860? I want to buy my parts, but I'm nervous about never having a really stable kernel. I need this to be my main work horse for Logic Studio, Final Cut, etc., though I don't mind waiting a bit more if I need to to be certain.

You can't be certain. Apple has perhaps fewer than 50 distinct models of computer to test with, and they're not going to bother testing the final product on an off-the-shelf mobo. That's a big load off their testing plate but it also means that perhaps some trivial shortcut or proprietary feature present in the gigabyte mobo (or in their own hardware) causes SL to crash intermittently. I watched the video about the 27" iMac and found the statements made about power conservation interesting. What's to say that their fine-tuning for shutting down cores at the kernel level isn't supported by some hardware they designed and added themselves? Perhaps it will mean the lack of that hardware will cause unpredictable crashes or that some cores will peg for no reason. That's the risk we're taking.

I first tried to install from a USB stick, too, and had the very same experience. I tried 5 different guides, all to no avail. I even got my camera out to take pictures (9 pictures per second) to capture the screen before it rebooted. Basically, as soon as it finished loading a few things and issued "Starting Darwin..." (or something like that), the screen flashed white and it rebooted.

At first I thought it was my DSDT file. I had loaded Linux onto this computer to get my own DSDT file and used that on the USB stick. After getting the DSDT files, I wiped the disk and tried to install SL on it. Nothing seemed to work. That's why I'm back to iATKOS v7.

I'm hoping that a DSDT file generated for a working Leopard, PLUS using a different guide to install Snow Leopard to a different partition while in Leopard, will be different. We'll see.

Ultimately I have an older Mac Pro that has a virgin Snow Leopard 10.6.1 install on it, ready to go. If I can figure out what I need to put on it after all is said and done (kext, Chameleon, etc), I'll use that installation and modify as appropriate.

i got the same problem as u after installing macos and rebooting,any sugguestion? thx

You can't be certain. Apple has perhaps fewer than 50 distinct models of computer to test with, and they're not going to bother testing the final product on an off-the-shelf mobo. That's a big load off their testing plate but it also means that perhaps some trivial shortcut or proprietary feature present in the gigabyte mobo (or in their own hardware) causes SL to crash intermittently. I watched the video about the 27" iMac and found the statements made about power conservation interesting. What's to say that their fine-tuning for shutting down cores at the kernel level isn't supported by some hardware they designed and added themselves? Perhaps it will mean the lack of that hardware will cause unpredictable crashes or that some cores will peg for no reason. That's the risk we're taking.

Is this any different than other mother boards that people are currently using, or is this unique in some way for the 860's (i.e. will we only know once the new iMacs are out, or is this something particular to these chips?)? Would we be better off going with Intel MB's, or does Apple use custom made ones?

Sorry if these questions seem foolish; I'm new to this whole scene :)

Some people say that the new imac with core i5/i7 will probably use p55 express, so it will be a good thing for those who want to switch to Core i5 or i7 :) .

But for now, trying to install SL on P55 motherboard is just a waste of time, when 10.6.2 come out with new kernel you will have to "re-hack" the whole thing :wacko: ...

Once Apple will release 10.6.2 (and if Imac really uses p55) installing SL on P55 motherboard will be as easy as installing on p35/p45.

For those who have problems syncing with their iphone have you tried the "bonjour fix" ?

I would like to add that I will be posting a rough draft of a motherboard list for the P55 chipset later today. Of course, once the kernel comes out, it will change (possibly completely), but for those who are just too impatient, or those who just want a sense of what works well and what doesn't, it should be helpful.

Some people say that the new imac with core i5/i7 will probably use p55 express, so it will be a good thing for those who want to switch to Core i5 or i7 :) .

But for now, trying to install SL on P55 motherboard is just a waste of time, when 10.6.2 come out with new kernel you will have to "re-hack" the whole thing :P ...

Once Apple will release 10.6.2 (and if Imac really uses p55) installing SL on P55 motherboard will be as easy as installing on p35/p45.

For those who have problems syncing with their iphone have you tried the "bonjour fix" ?

Cool, thanks for the explanation :)

I'm definitely going to wait then. I don't want to have to struggle with my main computer every time there's an OS update.

I would like to add that I will be posting a rough draft of a motherboard list for the P55 chipset later today. Of course, once the kernel comes out, it will change (possibly completely), but for those who are just too impatient, or those who just want a sense of what works well and what doesn't, it should be helpful.

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fcb8ab9...04e75f6e8ebb871

Keep in mind its a very rough draft that I put together in my spare time. I have the location of the various kexts and drivers needed, but it wasnt complete enough to publish.

Send me info/suggestions for the final draft at vgm10.000@hotmail.com

Here it is:

Keep in mind its a very rough draft that I put together in my spare time. I have the location of the various kexts and drivers needed, but it wasnt complete enough to publish.

You can add MSI P550-GD65 to the list. It is up and stable now for about a day. I have no issues with it seeing my Iphone. My biggest hurdel has geting it to run with 8 gigs of ram, the chocolate kernel defaults to 32 bit. It works when you give it the -force64 to load 64 bit. With this board I did not have to modify the dsdt, it just works out of the box.

You can add MSI P550-GD65 to the list. It is up and stable now for about a day. I have no issues with it seeing my Iphone. My biggest hurdel has geting it to run with 8 gigs of ram, the chocolate kernel defaults to 32 bit. It works when you give it the -force64 to load 64 bit. With this board I did not have to modify the dsdt, it just works out of the box.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Here it is:

Nice report Josh. I would like to ask about the ratings you came up with though. What makes the UD4P .25 points better than the UD3R? Is it that the UD4P is just a better board, or is the lack of sleep functionality less "bad" than the system profiler and sync?

Nice report Josh. I would like to ask about the ratings you came up with though. What makes the UD4P .25 points better than the UD3R? Is it that the UD4P is just a better board, or is the lack of sleep functionality less "bad" than the system profiler and sync?

Sorry for the lateness of the reply;

I would point out that my ratings are, as said in the guide, pretty subjective; they are simply what I feel about the boards.

I put the UD4P over the UD3R mainly because it has 2 PCI Express slots, faster RAM speeds (although you would have to OC), better LAN and audio parts, and for a price point not far above the "lesser" board.

To me the sleep vs. profiler and sync issues were a wash; Not having sleep is a bummer, but so is not being able to sync your iPhone and have your computer see your i5 or i7 an an "Unknown".

Here it is:

I have the GA-P55-UD6 all seems to be working with the exception of sleep - this might me my video card too. Not a big deal to me so I haven't tried to figure it out.

I know a lot of people will appreciate this guide - so good work!

But for now, trying to install SL on P55 motherboard is just a waste of time, when 10.6.2 come out with new kernel you will have to "re-hack" the whole thing :) ...

Why would we have to "re-hack" the whole thing?

Just run the 10.6.2 update and reboot, the only thing I have changed from retail is the kernel & patched the ATI8400 info.plist, 2 files from a full retail install, everything else is in /Extra.

Also remeber the i5 kernel may not appear in a system update until 10.6.3