NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

I have the GA-P55-UD6 all seems to be working with the exception of sleep - this might me my video card too. Not a big deal to me so I haven't tried to figure it out.

I know a lot of people will appreciate this guide - so good work!

Thanks for the tip - I would think it is the motherboard, not the card, but I know that there was an issue in Leopard of cards refusing to start back up when sleep was on.

Who knows? If everything else works, that's great.

Just a quick update to those following me on the guide I am building...

Thanks to takecontrol and strats37, I have added the two motherboards they have had success with. I am looking into MSI's other offerings to see if more boards might presumably work.

If anyone else has any success on a motherboard that wasn't in the guide, please enlighten us so that I can add it.

Also, I am going to try (and I know I will regret this later) to find all the kernels and kexts needed to get the motherboards working. I mean EVERYTHING; all the drivers for LAN and Audio, chipset support, USB, Firewire, all that stuff.

Now, I cannot do this alone (not even close to it), so if you want me to include this, you guys really have to help me find the proper downloads to get these parts working. For those who have made builds with the motherboards, you should have done this already, so if you could spend a minute or two just typing it out, it would help A LOT.

Hopefully I can get a lot done in the next 5 days. Ive done some cosmetic changes (like making the charts landscape and removing the rating system) that should make it easier to read.

That's all - VGM10000 (Joshua)

Is this any different than other mother boards that people are currently using, or is this unique in some way for the 860's (i.e. will we only know once the new iMacs are out, or is this something particular to these chips?)? Would we be better off going with Intel MB's, or does Apple use custom made ones?

Sorry if these questions seem foolish; I'm new to this whole scene :P

The P55 is a completely new chipset. iMac mobos are completely custom, and I think the rest are too.

hey guys,

I've just read that there are already developpers working with the OS 10.6.2 has someone heard about that ? If so couldn't we find a copy and work with this in order to have somnething working for our I7 and I5??

A build of 10.6.2 has been seeded to developers for testing. Not the final build, just a build. The last I heard from those in the know is that the current dev 10.6.2 build offers no additional compatibility, (Core i5/P55 supported kernel is not included/working/finished yet)

It certainly is possible the support will be added in a future build of 10.6.2 prior to its release, but for all we know the hardware support could be rolled out in 10.6.3, or all stealth-like as a higher # build but still called 10.6.2 (like what happened last time)

Why would we have to "re-hack" the whole thing?

Just run the 10.6.2 update and reboot, the only thing I have changed from retail is the kernel & patched the ATI8400 info.plist, 2 files from a full retail install, everything else is in /Extra.

Also remeber the i5 kernel may not appear in a system update until 10.6.3

New imac uses core i5/i7, and will be released in the first two weeks of november... Support for p55/i5 will probably be in 10.6.2, i don't think apple will release their new imac with a custom build of 10.6.1 including a new kernel.

Personally i will get a p55 hack but only when it will be "officially" supported by Apple. My p35 hack works great for now and I don't want to waste my time using temporary solution for p55+SL, ;) .Unfortunately, for now i cannot spend a whole day searching for the cause of a KP because i also need to work with my hack sometimes.

The P55 is a completely new chipset. iMac mobos are completely custom, and I think the rest are too.

They are using custom boards but with chipset manufactured by intel or nvidia, and we know for sure that they have abandoned Nvidia 9400M with their last imac running core i5/i7. Apparently Intel refused to give Nvidia the access of some technologies for making a compatible chipset with the Intel core i5/i7 processor on LGA 1156. Don't forget Intel manufactures the processor AND the chipset that goes with, and for now only p55 is known to work with core i5.

So P55 express would be an excellent choice for the new imac (and for our hackintosh :()p55_diagram.gif

To confirm, the config in my sig (i5, gigabtye p55m-ud4) does support dual monitor spanning.

Two problems persist, however:

1. USB keyboard support is flaky on boot. I've done a dozen or so installs, it's always the same. For example, I can hit del or other keys on boot to bring up the bios or boot order. However, if I try to boot from a disc when the prompt comes up "Press any key to boot from DVD or press F8..." the keys don't function unless I unplug and then replug the keyboard. I finally plugged in a PS/2 keyboard to deal with this, but would rather that not be the final solution.

Another instance where this comes up is when I press the key to choose the boot device it works, but once on the screen that lets you choose HDD, DVD, Floppy... it no longer works unless I unplug and replug.

2. I'm still getting a hang on boot about a third of the time.

Anyone else having these issues or found a fix for them?

Thanks

To confirm, the config in my sig (i5, gigabtye p55m-ud4) does support dual monitor spanning.

1. USB keyboard support is flaky on boot. I've done a dozen or so installs, it's always the same. For example, I can hit del or other keys on boot to bring up the bios or boot order. However, if I try to boot from a disc when the prompt comes up "Press any key to boot from DVD or press F8..." the keys don't function unless I unplug and then replug the keyboard. I finally plugged in a PS/2 keyboard to deal with this, but would rather that not be the final solution.

Another instance where this comes up is when I press the key to choose the boot device it works, but once on the screen that lets you choose HDD, DVD, Floppy... it no longer works unless I unplug and replug.

Thanks

I had the hang every third time problem, but not the keyboard problem. The hang every third time problem went away by installing Snow Leopard. I have a P55-UD4P w/i5

Thanks

Hi snokarver,

I had the same problem as you with the USB keyboard, but the bios update on my p55-ud3r resolved many issues including this very , very annoying bug . Hope this will resolve your problem to :D

I pretty much have given up on the P55 rig until 10.6.2 comes out. I can either get the GPU to work or the RTC clock to work. It is a bit frustrating. without GraphicsEnabler that supports the 4850 I simply cant get it to behave. Without the stupid modified RC 3 boot I cant get the RTC to keep time correctly. And of course RC 3 doesn't include any support for Radeon auto config and detection.

Guess this is what I get for trying to go the route of who has the best drivers for the mac instead of what just works. x

P.S. Yes I know NVIDIA Kexts have better OpenCL support, but AMD Kexts are the most stable and have the fewest glitches/quirks.

Another update for you guys;

I expect to post a newly revised version of the parts list, 0.2, today. It will include more parts, all the information I have on necessary kexts/kernels for support, and all the new features I mentioned yesterday.

Keep the help coming! Thanks to many posts on this thread the list has grown quite a bit, to the point where some motherboard entries are already complete.

Thanks - VGM10000

Hi snokarver,

I had the same problem as you with the USB keyboard, but the bios update on my p55-ud3r resolved many issues including this very , very annoying bug . Hope this will resolve your problem to :blink:

Thanks. I have the latest BIOS that isn't beta. Maybe it'll be fixed in a future one for the p55m-ud4

Thanks. I have the latest BIOS that isn't beta. Maybe it'll be fixed in a future one for the p55m-ud4

Not sure if this will help or not, but in your BIOS setup is there a configuration setting to enable "USB Keyboard/Mouse/Legacy support"? Supposedly if this is not set the keyboard may not work right until the main operating system takes over.

Not sure if this will help or not, but in your BIOS setup is there a configuration setting to enable "USB Keyboard/Mouse/Legacy support"? Supposedly if this is not set the keyboard may not work right until the main operating system takes over.

Correct, USB legacy support adds support for USB KM to the BIOS level and DOS-like OS support. So if it isn't enabled then those devices wont be initialized until a "modern" OS starts loading them. And of course I use the term Modern OS in this sense in the loosest way possible. ^.~

I liked the looks of the Intel P55 boards as well. Only thing that scares me is the 82578DC LAN chipset on all of them. It's really new and I haven't found anyone reporting success or failure with it in OS X.

Anybody have info on this chipset?

By the way, what's the difference between the and the WG KG? Just the eSATA and the extra two SATA ports? Doesn't seem to justify a $100 price difference...

I've been doing some i5/i7 research. I can tell you the Kext for this NIC chipset is included with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 (I've verified on my hktosh). If it has the proper hdw IDs would be the only issue. I am planning on picking up the KG version of this board. I find it extremely odd that every mobo maker is adding in an Enet chip when this Intel NIC is built into every P55. Apple will surely use what is built-in and just add the PHY to lower costs.

KG adds: 2 more phases to the power supply, 2 eSATA, heat sinks on the MOSFETs, includes Turbo Boost drive for Vista/Win7 & has a normal USB plug on the motherboard. This means you can plug in an EFI'd 16+ GB USB flash drive inside the case and leave it forever, recovering, installing, updating as you wish with no externally visible drive. I love it. Plug one of these in and forget it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820609381

Also only $65 difference now.

As promised, here's my iDeneb setup. It is MUCH more stable than with iATKOS v7. Other than the occasional reboot glitch, it seems solid.

Thanks once more for everyone's help.

MY SYSTEM

GA-P55M-UD4

Core i7-860

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 260 896 MB

3 SATA Hard Drives & 1 SATA Optical Drive (no IDE)

Dual-Boot Vista on separate drive

WHAT WORKS

-LAN

-Sound (line out)

-Restart/Shutdown

-Video QE & CI (one monitor)

-USB Highspeed

-Rear eSATA port - see Flakey

-Front eSATA port (Gigabyte SATA2 chipset)

-Firewire

-About this Mac correctly reports processor and memory

WHAT DOESN'T WORK (so far)

-Can't wake from sleep. Have to power down.

-System Profiler

--Hardware gives error gathering info message.

--Serial ATA gives Unknown AHCI Standard Controller

WHAT'S FLAKEY

-When restarting from within OS X, boot-up will stop occasionally at the line 'BSD root: disk2s2, major 14, minor'. If I shut down or go into Vista, then I can get back into OS X. I still think this is chipset related. Something gets reset by a cold boot or Vista that doesn't in OS X on restart. That's my unscientific theory.

-Rear eSATA port might have a problem with sustained file transfers. See note below in WEIRD QUIRKS.

NO CLUE IF IT WORKS

-7.1 sound (I don't use it)

-Dual monitors (I have one monitor)

BIOS

-AHCI mode

DISTRO-

iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite

INSTALL

-Use 'busratio=20" kernel flag for start-up option

-Custom Options

---iDeneb Main System

---Chameleon V2

---9.8.0 Kernel Qoopz

---Apple Decrypt

---ACPI Fix

---Disabler

---Time Machine Fix

---About This Mac Fix

---System Profiler Fix

---IOUSBFamily Fix

---VoodooHDA

---AHCI SATA/IDE

---Realtek R1000

---Cleanup

-Restart

-Continue to use the 'busratio=20' kernel flag at start-up.

-Create your user to get to the desktop.

COM.BOOT.APPLE.PLIST

-Edit com.boot.apple.plist with the following

---add kernel flag 'busratio=20'

GRAPHICS CARD

-Install Netkas Universal Enabler.

-Install the tweaked Nvidia Retail Mac Driver installer for GTX 2XX

OTHER ITEMS

-NTFS-3G 2009 4.4

-MBox 2 Pro on Firewire works good. Did some Pro Tools recording without any problem.

WEIRD QUIRKS

-This P55 chipset seem less forgiving than others I've had. If there is a system crash, either in Windows or OS X, doing a soft reset does not always reinitialize the hardware layer (ACHI, USB & Firewire). I have to do a hard boot, instead.

-Also, this could be a motherboard bug or defect; I cannot sustain large file transfers with the rear eSATA port in Vista. The drive disappears within seconds of kicking-off the transfer. If I use the front eSATA port, it works fine in both Vista and Leopard. The rear eSATA port is Gigabyte's hybrid USB/eSATA contraption, which could be the problem. I might give Gigabyte a call on this. I have not tried using the rear eSATA port for large transfers in Leopard.

-Final Cut Pro 2 is giving me the Dropped Frame message instantly during real time preview. This usually means not enough horse power, or slow memory or disk--which is certainly not the case with this rig. I'll look into it later.

I think, that's it.

hello xkelly,i can installed idneb v10.6 10.58 lite .but i can't active my gtx275.I find the driver for it,and try many times.but still no work.so pls help me .

could you send the 'Netkas universal enabler' and 'tweaked Nvidia Ratail mac driver installer for gtx 2XX' to me or send me a link to download it.

thank you very much

Hi to all, Since I'm stuck with an asus P7P55d ( I will use an i7 860), I wanted to know if there a people who also use that setup.

I plan to also install logic 9, UAD cards and a lynx L22 soundcard. Is there anything I have to consider with that setup? I don't plan to be on Internet with that computer. I will maybe try to link that unit with others using the Vienna Ensemble PRO system( PC or Mac)

Thanks

If your having the stalling on boot error try inserting your boot drives UUID to PlatformUUID.kext

I'm running 10.6.1 and so far the only thing I don't have fully working are iPhone sync (As previously said, it works with having a USB 2.0 device in the port next to it)

The kext's I have in /Extra/CustomExtensions are

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext - not needed but comes from the same Realtek package as IONetworkingFamily
IONetworkingFamily.kext - Seems to enable Realtek R1000 (Using with Bonjour64 to enable promisc)
Framebuffer_Disabler.kext
LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext - with patched DSDT to enable sound (Only tested 2.1 out)
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext - Edited with Boot partitions UUID (Seems to stop the boot freeze)
fakesmc.kext - patched to allow iStat to see CPU core temps.

I also use the pfix.sh script linked earlier in the thread to make /Extra/Extensions.mkext

DSDT.aml.zip

I am using the same installer for my Gigabyte P55-UD4P board, everything work beautifully until I'm booting straight from the harddrive. It would load the white apple screen, then when you think it's going to load OSX, it goes blank and restarts the computer. However, if I put in the USB boot disk and set the USB as the first booting device, then I am able to choose the harddrive at the menu and boot to OSX with USB as the boot disk.

I am using the Chocolate Kernel that's provided and I believe it's updated with the new i5 boot file.

oh, also, my firewire is enabled, I don't know if that could cause the problem? but it didn't seem like an issue when booting with the USB stick.

HELP!?

Hey I tried this one too

but when after I install, it says it works perfectly but then when I try and go into my drive it says can not find chocolate kernel?

Can anyone help me?

I have Core i5 and P55-UD3R board and not have any luck what so ever

Hey I tried this one too

but when after I install, it says it works perfectly but then when I try and go into my drive it says can not find chocolate kernel?

Can anyone help me?

I have Core i5 and P55-UD3R board and not have any luck what so ever

You have to copy the 'chocolate' mach_kernel to the root of your hdd it's not copied over during install.

Correct, USB legacy support adds support for USB KM to the BIOS level and DOS-like OS support. So if it isn't enabled then those devices wont be initialized until a "modern" OS starts loading them. And of course I use the term Modern OS in this sense in the loosest way possible. ^.~

Yes, USB legacy support is enabled by default on my board. I've actually run into issues with this turned on, so I also tried it with that setting turned off. Same result.

It's weird because it works right when the machine boots, but then for things like "boot from disc..." it doesn't work.

Alas, I've just got a PS/2 keyboard plugged in and sitting on the machine.