NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

thanks. so if Apple uses Clarkfield in the new iMacs a vanilla install will work on the core i5?

No way to tell... Apple could easily put this code in their next update:

if (core i5) FAIL!

But the architecture of Clarksfield and Lynnfield are identical, so I think there's a pretty good chance that Lynnfield will work vanilla if they put Clarksfield in the iMac. The biggest risk was (and probably still is) them never using Clarksfield or Lynnfield in the first place. I was really doubting they would go with Clarksfield since its a completely different architecture than anything else (other than Lynnfield), the iMac is the only likely product for it (and for only one revision), and nVIDIA is not making integrated chips for it. I think they will really have to go out of their way to support it in their EFI and either use intel's crappy integrated chips or have separate PCI graphics cards. Maybe they realized it would be hard marketing a new iMac once the blu-ray fell through, so they jumped on "quad core."

I was really doubting they would go with Clarksfield since its a completely different architecture than anything else (other than Lynnfield), the iMac is the only likely product for it (and for only one revision), and nVIDIA is not making integrated chips for it.

My best guess is that clarksfield will be in the new iMacs, that they will be released within a few days (apparently they've been rolling off the production line in Taiwan for over a month now) and will come with a hyperthreading option. (There is an in-depth review on hothardware.com that shows great numbers vs. even the i7 9xx) Since they are essentially the same chip with all the same features as the i5 and i7 8xx, we should be looking at a vanilla SL install by the end of October.

///Update: Aug 29, 2009. CPUs & Motherboards are now on sale in the world! You can see how cheap the price!///

///Gigabyte Motherboard GA-P55M-UD2 is now only $98 in the States. Read the review by Anandtech.com here///

I know it's too early to tell, but what are peoples guesses as fast, cheap, cool as these mobos/CPUs working with OSX86?

Lynnfield is a codename for the new CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture by Intel.

Core i7 860 is 2.80GHz 4 cores 8 threads. USD $284 MSRP. Official lunch date is Sep 6th, 2009. (Ship date: late Aug!)

Core i5 750 is 2.66GHz 4 cores 4 threads. USD $196 MSRP. Official lunch date is Sep 6th, 2009. (Ship date: late Aug!)

Better than i7 920: 95W=Low power consumption+heat+noise!, LGA1156=long lasting, No northbridge=cheap!

P55 is a new chip-set name for the motherboards. (cheaper than the X58 motherboards)

Almost every motherboards companies now are pretty ready to ship at the middle of August 2009. (Also, m-ATX size!)

You can even find the specific model number & pictures of the motherboards (Gigabyte: GA-P55M-UD4, Asus: P7P55 , DFI, MSI, Foxconn and etc.) Many of them just use ICH10R? PCH? for southbridge, ALC88X for sound, and RTL811XX for LAN.

How do you guys think? Please reply your opinion. Do you think it is possible to install OS X? (both retail or another)

could you pls write down what you actually do with you motherboard?

because i am used p55-ud3r too and i7 860....but i tried used usb-dvdrom to boot idneb 10.6.1 lite..

but it said " can not find com.apple.Boot__.plist" and restart....

please

:help: I'm happy to report Snow Leopard retail install worked! :D

We have to use the Qoopz voodoo variant: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f214/91881.htm

Also, you need to use this new patched Chameleon rc3 boot: http://putisima.net/qoopz/i5boot.zip

Here's the guide I used with all necessary downloads: http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

In my Extras folder I have:

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

JMicronATA2

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (may be unneccessary)

Also, I had to patch DSDT to prevent CMOS from resetting on reboot. And used VoodooHDA for sound (in System/Library/Extensions) Good luck to all!

I got Snow Leo working with my GA_P55_UD3R I7 860, Kingston DDR3 2000 Mhz. I don't have to type (busratio=20) any more. It run very stable, but some problems for sleeping, shutdown and reset CMOS after reboot.

Sok5 :wallbash:

If anyone's having the problem with syncing iPhone or iPod touch, I just solved it I think. I didn't have the problem on 1st install, but after Snow Leopard fun the past couple of days, I reinstalled Leopard to a second drive and the issue popped up.

Here's what I did using iAtkos i7:

Install Chameleon rc3

Use USBBusFix=yes in com.apple.boot.plist

Delete LegacyAHCIPort.kext and LegacyIOACHIBlockStorage.kext from /Extra/Extensions

From Chameleon rc3 folder, install AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to /Extra/Extensions

Also, I was using a USB to PS2 adapter for keyboard- switched to PS2 port and VoodooPS2 package.

Hope this works for you! Now to solve the same issue with Snow Leopard- hope it works!

Well the apple Xserve is an i7 machine or dual i7 machine, so OSX server will run on an i7, dunno if its just OSX server or not. But at least it does prove that OSX can run on an i7.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/features/architecture.html

Unfortunately, intel has a slightly misleading naming convention.

They have the high end i7 which run on X58 motherboards. These are high end processors and include i920 and more i9xx processors and came out about a year ago. This is the processor in the xserver you mentioned.

The codename Lynnfield processors that have been recently released are the i5 750, and i7 850/860 etc. which run on the P55 are more consumer-oriented mid-range CPUs with good bang/buck. These came out a month or so ago and Apple hasn't released anything that uses them yet. There are rumors that the next iMac/MacBook Pros will include a mobile version of this processor(Clarksfield), which still doesn't guarantee that they will work with a vanilla kernel.

Luckily, with a custom kernel, many people have successfully gotten Snow Leopard running, although we would all prefer running w/a vanilla kernel.

Hi guys, I am very n00b to all this and I'm debating between waiting for the possible vanilla kernel or just go ahead and install with the custom kernel.

My questions is:

1. Does it make a noticeable difference when using a custom kernel vs vanilla as far as speed and stability?

2. Can I change the custom kernel to vanilla after installation, if a vanilla kernel happens to come out.

Thanks guys!!

oh and my system:

Gigabyte P55-UD4P

i5 Chip

Corsair 4GB

Win 7 - 32 Bit

500GB HDD x 2

nVidia GeForce GTX 260 896mb

tonymacx86,

I am on pins and needles waiting to hear about your progress.

Herb

OK- here's where I'm at. I patched the DSDT as mentioned in thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182925 and it didn't really help. I finally got it to work (at least some of the time) by a combination of things:

1. The UHCI/EHCI DSDT.aml patch (Although the UHCI ports still are not shown as built-in

2. Installing VoodooPS2Controller.kext (Although I don't know if this really has anything to do with it.)

3. There has to be at least 1 USB hub installed at boot (I have a USB extension cord that shows up as a powered 2.0 hub)

...It works, but if you leave it for a while, it will {censored} out on you. I think the USB ports shut down. Still trying to find the definitive answer, but wanted to post my intermediary results.

I have a feeling that it's an issue with the UHCI/EHCI USB ports not showing up as built in. They are recognized as PCI. I'm sure we'll come up with a fix! As I can't use a USB keyboard/mouse and still sync my iPod, I've been using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Actually, I typed this whole post and its still working.

UPDATED:

It seems to be pretty good, but I think all of the USB devices are going through 1 IO path. Can anyone recommend a fix? This is probably the issue. Check out the pic below of my System Profiler USB devices.

UPDATED 2009-10-20

----------------------------------------

With my DSDT altered, it seems like iPhone sync is working fine. Also, the system seems to be pretty picky about where you plug in your iPhone- it needs to be (for me) in the back next to the USB 2.0 extension cord in order to sync. But it works! :D

Here is my DSDT with USB fix, CMOS reset fix, Audio patch (now working with LegacyHDA for 888):

DSDT.aml.zip

post-89646-1256002999_thumb.png

Tony,

I want to build a system. I'm torn between:

the 100% C4D,

the more expensive & hotter i7-920

or what I really want, a P55 system.

If you had it to do over again, would you build the i5 again?

Thanks for all your efforts

Herb

I'd get the p55- but I enjoy monkeying around with stuff. Can't boot Vanilla kernel yet, and need several fixes as of now. That all could change... and soon. Wait at least 1 more day- Apple is apparently announcing some hardware tomorrow (could be quad core Clarksfield iMacs?): http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/rumors...orrow-swirling/

Tony,

I want to build a system. I'm torn between:

the 100% C4D,

the more expensive & hotter i7-920

or what I really want, a P55 system.

If you had it to do over again, would you build the i5 again?

Thanks for all your efforts

Herb

OK- here's where I'm at. I patched the DSDT as mentioned in thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182925 and it didn't really help. I finally got it to work (at least some of the time) by a combination of things:

1. The UHCI/EHCI DSDT.aml patch (Although the UHCI ports still are not shown as built-in

2. Installing VoodooPS2Controller.kext (Although I don't know if this really has anything to do with it.)

3. There has to be at least 1 USB hub installed at boot (I have a USB extension cord that shows up as a powered 2.0 hub)

...It works, but if you leave it for a while, it will {censored} out on you. I think the USB ports shut down. Still trying to find the definitive answer, but wanted to post my intermediary results.

I have a feeling that it's an issue with the UHCI/EHCI USB ports not showing up as built in. They are recognized as PCI. I'm sure we'll come up with a fix! As I can't use a USB keyboard/mouse and still sync my iPod, I've been using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Actually, I typed this whole post and its still working.

UPDATED:

It seems to be pretty good, but I think all of the USB devices are going through 1 IO path. Can anyone recommend a fix? This is probably the issue. Check out the pic below of my System Profiler USB devices:

I've got a P55UD4P.... using usbfix chameleon causes all my USB high speed devices (which the phones show up as) to display as Built-In USB. Unfortunately, I still get errors when trying to plug in my iPhone. Do you have a UD4P as well?> I'd be interested in trying out your dsdt on my hack.

:D I'm happy to report Snow Leopard retail install worked! :D

We have to use the Qoopz voodoo variant: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f214/91881.htm

Also, you need to use this new patched Chameleon rc3 boot: http://putisima.net/qoopz/i5boot.zip

Here's the guide I used with all necessary downloads: http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

In my Extras folder I have:

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

JMicronATA2

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (may be unneccessary)

Also, I had to patch DSDT to prevent CMOS from resetting on reboot. And used VoodooHDA for sound (in System/Library/Extensions) Good luck to all!

I'm trying to do the same but with mitigated success. The SATA controller doesn't seem recognized and I get a "Still waiting for root device" error. I tried both the P55 controller and Gigabyte controller, same thing. What am I missing? I have all the kext you listed above (except mine reads JMicronATA.kext, not v2).

Any ideass?

I'd get the p55- but I enjoy monkeying around with stuff. Can't boot Vanilla kernel yet, and need several fixes as of now. That all could change... and soon. Wait at least 1 more day- Apple is apparently announcing some hardware tomorrow (could be quad core Clarksfield iMacs?): http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/rumors...orrow-swirling/

The store is still down, but businessweek let this slip...

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/Byt..._announces.html

The 27-inch model is something else entirely. It’s aimed at the professional who might otherwise buy a Mac Pro, but who wants an iMac, because they look better. I saw the screen on this monster last night and it’s really impressive in person. It starts at $1,699, but there’s another model that has a quad-core Intel Core i5 chip, that starts at $1,999, and which won’t ship until November.

Yes, it looks very promising for vanilla kernel support. The technical specs at the Apple Store list the following options for the 27" imac:

• 2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.2GHz
  • 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46GHz; Hyper-Threading for up to eight virtual cores

These are the exact specs for the i5-750 and the i7-860... not the PM55 chipset mobile Clarksfield quad-core variants, as some of us here were worried about. Not available until November... but surely the 10.6.2 update should include support? Very exciting news...

iMac page on Apple.com has been updated.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

core i5 and i7 on the iMac :rolleyes: soooooo pleased :P

I am literally dancing about! I can finally make my plans final on an i7 build! A SNOW LEOPARD i7! The joy...

I wonder when we will see the vanilla kernel, but when we do, it will be a great day!

I am also surprised that they used both processors (i5 and i7)... I am sure they are the Clarkdale ones, but it wouldn't matter; the architecture is the same (I believe - anyone know for sure?). It's a shame that they ask for $200 to upgrade from i5 to i7 though... as much as I can appreciate the price drops, they are still great at ripping you off with upgrades.

I bet this will liven the forums up! I hope to see as much traffic on this particular thread as there was when it was started (after the i5/i7's were released). Many people will be interested in either a guide as to how to set this up or otherwise, myself included.

Yes, it looks very promising for vanilla kernel support. The technical specs at the Apple Store list the following options for the 27" imac:

• 2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.2GHz
  • 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46GHz; Hyper-Threading for up to eight virtual cores

These are the exact specs for the i5-750 and the i7-860... not the P55M mobile Clarksfield quad-core variants, as some of us here were worried about. Not available until November... but surely the 10.6.2 update should include support? Very exciting news...

Wow, really? I would be very surprised if they put the Lynnfield ones in... then again, it's about time, right?

Good to know.

Great news!

But i have to say, with new displays I am really considering towards a real iMac, even though it is so expensive... Still, the display alone would cost well over 1000 €, so the AOC price of 1700 € for the i7 model is not really unreasonable...

Great news!

But i have to say, with new displays I am really considering towards a real iMac, even though it is so expensive... Still, the display alone would cost well over 1000 €, so the AOC price of 1700 € for the i7 model is not really unreasonable...

Indeed... if you build a hack pro you'd spend close to $1000, but then where are you going to find a 27" LED backlit monitor to match the specs? The largest one I can find is 24".