NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

I have almost decided to go for the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R and combine it with Core i5 750 and GTX 260.

But it would feel much safer if someone could confirm the South Korean success of retail osx install on the GA-P55-UD3R!

Or maybe recommend me another 1156 motherboard :(

I think I will buy the new GigaByte GA-P55M-UD4 mATX motherboard and the new Core i7-860 CPU.

Do you think these two will work with Snow Leopard?

GA-P55M-UD4 review here: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1065/1/

I have been looking at this board myself. Unless you specifically want an matx board you would be better of with the GA-P55-UD4. It's cheaper and you get more for you money. Compatibility wise it looks as though it ticks all the right boxes

It looks like the new Intel branded P55 motherboards will be good for hackintoshes as well (if the badaxe2 was any indication). I'm just waiting to pull the trigger until we get some good confirmation that P55 systems are running Snow Leopard as well as other platforms.

I am considering the same system as well, of course it would be nice to wait but I guess some one has to take the plunge at some point.

Do want to wait for a nice case though the Silverstone FT02 is one I am really interested in.

I am considering the same system as well, of course it would be nice to wait but I guess some one has to take the plunge at some point.

Do want to wait for a nice case though the Silverstone FT02 is one I am really interested in.

Have you considered using a G5 aluminum case to build your Hackint0sh ?

I'm keeping my eyes on ebay for a cheapo G5 aluminum case

Have you considered using a G5 aluminum case to build your Hackint0sh ?

I'm keeping my eyes on ebay for a cheapo G5 aluminum case

That would be my first choice of course! But alas these things don't turn up in Sweden very often, and those that do are not exactly cheapo!

FT02 is the cleanest case I have seen for a long time.

I have been looking at this board myself. Unless you specifically want an matx board you would be better of with the GA-P55-UD4. It's cheaper and you get more for you money. Compatibility wise it looks as though it ticks all the right boxes

I specifically want an mATX motherboard, I need it for my Antec NSK3480 mATX case ;)

Does anyone know if the Core i7-860 will work with a "vanilla" install?

The first post mentioned that you need Qoopz kernel, but that's with the Core i5, maybe you don't need it for the 860?

Ok all my computer want to play it tought with me ;)

As I had a couple of hours ahead of me, I tried to install Leopard 10.5.6 via iPC dvd. It didn't work. I couldn't even get to the installation setup screen...

Without booting in verbose mode or other, I had the apple with the white background and with the loading status. But just a few seconds after the look like "restricted access logo" came on the top of the apple.

With booting with "busratio=20 -v" and verbose mode I had this message : "Still waiting for root device" after the verbose mode loading commands. ;)

I have to try other distros and I'll post any further developpment of my situation...

That would be my first choice of course! But alas these things don't turn up in Sweden very often, and those that do are not exactly cheapo!

FT02 is the cleanest case I have seen for a long time.

yes .

I'm also waiting for FT02 availability but not answer from infos@silverstone.com .....

still waiting ....

Ok all my computer want to play it tought with me :D

As I had a couple of hours ahead of me, I tried to install Leopard 10.5.6 via iPC dvd. It didn't work. I couldn't even get to the installation setup screen...

Without booting in verbose mode or other, I had the apple with the white background and with the loading status. But just a few seconds after the look like "restricted access logo" came on the top of the apple.

With booting with "busratio=20 -v" and verbose mode I had this message : "Still waiting for root device" after the verbose mode loading commands. :)

I have to try other distros and I'll post any further developpment of my situation...

did you try with boot dfe 123 CD?

Ok all my computer want to play it tought with me :D

With booting with "busratio=20 -v" and verbose mode I had this message : "Still waiting for root device" after the verbose mode loading commands. ;)

Maybe try a Kalyway distro, I've heard they work well on gigabyte boards. If you can get something up and running, you then might want to try Digital Dreamer's snow leopard installer script for the EX58-UD5 (check the tutorial forum).

it's me again....

I've tried today to install Leopard with a "retail" dvd and a boot 132 but it also failed.. I couldn't even get to the beautiful white apple loading screen... it kept rebooting before getting there.

With the DFE's boot 132 it said that "Determined CPU/FSB multiplier to be 0 - CPU says it's multiplier is 0 which makes no sense." Then it finishes saying that you can press Y to continue but the CPU won't support it and will reboot.

I tried also other modified boot132 cds, but all of them came to the same rebooting process...

Well, I will focus on this error and try to find a good ending to it... Meanwhile I have already put iDeneb and Kalyway distro versions downloading...

With the DFE's boot 132 it said that "Determined CPU/FSB multiplier to be 0 - CPU says it's multiplier is 0 which makes no sense." Then it finishes saying that you can press Y to continue but the CPU won't support it and will reboot.

Hmm.. busratio=20 should fix this error. Try booting with "cpus=1 busratio=20 -v" and see if this helps.

I specifically want an mATX motherboard, I need it for my Antec NSK3480 mATX case :)

Does anyone know if the Core i7-860 will work with a "vanilla" install?

The first post mentioned that you need Qoopz kernel, but that's with the Core i5, maybe you don't need it for the 860?

I just ordered Core i7-860 CPU and GA-P55M-UD2.

I just ordered Core i7 860 CPU & GA-P55M-UD2. (not received yet)

One thing I can tell you guys.

They(The Korean guys) really installed Mac OS X on the Gigabyte's P55 motherboard successfully. They have a good reputation on their website.

Please try and check if you can run "vanilla" kernel with the Core i7-860.

I hope it's just the Core i5 that needs a hacked kernel.

Hmm.. busratio=20 should fix this error. Try booting with "cpus=1 busratio=20 -v" and see if this helps.

Eh... it's me again, still without any good news.

Well, I tried to boot with "cpus=1 busratio=20 -v" but it still continue to reboot...

Tried also to use iDeneb 1.6 distro but it also reboots.

At least, I know now that the "cpu:fsb multiplier to be 0" is my main issue and if I could fix it I assume that the installation would go well... :thanks_speechbubble:

I have looked through the forum and I found some that had the same problem with an i7 and an Asus mobo and apparently he was able to pass through the issue. I haven't had the time to look closely to his case but I'll do it in the next hours...

I'll keep you posted.

I am running a Gigabyte P55 UD4P with Core I7 860.

I've tried so many different ways to do it, but i just made a boot-132 with Chameleon RC3 cdboot, and the extras from a Gigabyte x58 UD5 boot image. I wont be able to try it till 6pm-7pm tonight, but this will be like, the 5th time I've tried. I'm also working with Snow Leopard.

I was getting errors with full images from iAktos, and it didn't work. I'm pretty new to the whole Hackintosh scene (except for my Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh), so I barely know what I'm doing. With a lot of the bootloaders I was working with, I kept getting "Cannot find SMBIOS" error. I hope I fixed it with this new image....

If someone with hackintosh knowledge would like to help if this fails, definitely help out.

I am running a Gigabyte P55 UD4P with Core I7 860.

I've tried so many different ways to do it, but i just made a boot-132 with Chameleon RC3 cdboot, and the extras from a Gigabyte x58 UD5 boot image. I wont be able to try it till 6pm-7pm tonight, but this will be like, the 5th time I've tried. I'm also working with Snow Leopard.

I was getting errors with full images from iAktos, and it didn't work. I'm pretty new to the whole Hackintosh scene (except for my Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh), so I barely know what I'm doing. With a lot of the bootloaders I was working with, I kept getting "Cannot find SMBIOS" error. I hope I fixed it with this new image....

If someone with hackintosh knowledge would like to help if this fails, definitely help out.

I really hope someone here will help you.

I'm very close to ordering my own system!

This guy on YouTube made it all work with iAtkos v7 (except that only 1 CPU core is detected), but I really think you should try and get it working without the distro's :D

Link:

I have looked through the forum and I found some that had the same problem with an i7 and an Asus mobo and apparently he was able to pass through the issue. I haven't had the time to look closely to his case but I'll do it in the next hours...

I'll keep you posted.

Could you please give a link to this asus and i7 guy you mention?

I really hope someone here will help you.

I'm very close to ordering my own system!

This guy on YouTube made it all work with iAtkos v7 (except that only 1 CPU core is detected), but I really think you should try and get it working without the distro's ;)

Link:

Could you please give a link to this asus and i7 guy you mention?

Here is a link to the Leopard instal

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

Guess what operating system I'm currently typing in?

And I have all 4 cores

So yah, it works. Its running voodoo kernel 10.5.7. I'm going to finish putting in the kexts, and get everything recognized.

Without the link

Wow, that's great!

Nice work :rolleyes:

Could you please write here, exactly how you did it?

Does everything work on the motherboard, LAN, FireWire etc?

And, could you try and run GeekBench too?

What about Snow Leopard, are you going to try that, would be nice to have the latest and greatest OS working?