Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

just been and picked up one of these belkin usb adaptors working perfectly.. automatically brought up the configuration program and immediately found my AP in a scan.. good stuff and thanks to the original poster

malty

I envy thee. I checked that RAlink chipset page, and attempted to buy a Buffalo USB solution. $45 and when I plug it in it detects "A NEW USB KEYBOARD"

Fantastic.

Any ideas? I'm using a laptop, maybe I could delete the usb keyboard kext and it'll go for wireless?

Maybe this is a dumb question, I am trying to connect to the school network with my belkin USB adaptor which works just fine with my home network, I have checked with the school techs and they say that all I have to do is select HCCwireless, of course I do so but I am only getting a one way connection, uplink, I cannot get a proper IP address assigned, there is no encryption on this network, however when u first sign on (and I can in windows XP) I get a redirect to a login page which is where u would normlly log in. so I am wondering if anyone else if having an access problem where they should not be? also I am totally new to macs so maybe I am missing a setting somewhere?

I envy thee.  I checked that RAlink chipset page, and attempted to buy a Buffalo USB solution.  $45 and when I plug it in it detects "A NEW USB KEYBOARD"

Fantastic.

Any ideas?  I'm using a laptop, maybe I could delete the usb keyboard kext and it'll go for wireless?

check to make sure your adapter is based to the Ralink RT2500 chipset. For a list of supported devices, check here: http://ralink.rapla.net/

Buffalo does not have this problem.

My D-Link also requires a pull-out and plug-in to start, even though system profiler sees the USB card on boot. Arminius, if you reboot to the login screen, does your adapter startup and connect? Or does it do so after logging in? I suspect the issue may be with some StartupItems somewhere not having correct permissions or something. Can you list what ralink related folders and files are in /System/Library/StartupItems and what their permissions and ownership are?

Thanks.

Bump :blink:

I have reinstalled OSX using the DVD installer, the wireless utility now fires up after login and the card connects. Strange that it wasnt working when using the deadmoo VMWare image in a native install. For those who want it to start at login if it doesnt do it by itself, in System Prefs/Accounts, you can create a LoginItem to run whatever app you want ...

The Drivers work just fine on my Mac Mini, but not on OSX x86 (Laptop) :(  Nessus, how did you get it working?  Have you tested it (Just assumed it worked becuase you get the proper port settings and Belkin USB 54g shows up in profiler in the USB section?)  When you plug the device in the WirelessUSB driver does show up, but all information is blank including firmware and mac information, but it will not scan, and shows no other signs of life, except that you can turn the card on/off which seems to make the light flash breifly.  I think we will have to wait for Ralink to produce an x86 driver, but if any company does it will be them.

UPDATE: Sorry, found the fix some posts before....first read, then think, then post...

Sorry

Hmm, strange... i bought this one from the list:

Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI

And no success till now....

Has anyone tryed the buffalo version?

Regards

Tob

I have the DWL-G122, it worked with the ralink drivers the first few times i used it, but failed to function after hibernating/suspending(closing laptop lid) and then after a cold start works fine....doesnt work if its plugged in when computer is booting or restarting....only after in OSX....and now it wont work regardless of when i plug it in...i've uninstalled and then installed the drivers again....the drivers know its connected and the packet logs show i have conectivity but nothing actually works as far as browsing or trying to use the conection....anybody experienced similar issues?

I have an Inspiron 1100 Notebook

Bought a D-Link DWL-G122 Ver b1 (You can find the version near the barcode on the box).

Works fantastic and the Wireless Utility offers tons of configuration options I don't plan on messing with. Only problem is the card has to be removed and reinserted upon a reboot.

I envy thee.  I checked that RAlink chipset page, and attempted to buy a Buffalo USB solution.  $45 and when I plug it in it detects "A NEW USB KEYBOARD"

Fantastic.

Any ideas?  I'm using a laptop, maybe I could delete the usb keyboard kext and it'll go for wireless?

move the little switch on the side of the adapter so that it is opposite the little dot.

the default setting (switch next to dot) is for the autosetup under windows

the dongle contains a small flash memory that autoloads the drivers in windows when you plug it in (so you don't need a driver cd)

OSX doesn't recognizes the flash as a usb keyboard.

Ok guys about the DLink USB Wireless Adapater? is this it ?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...4803&cid=NT.541

I live in canada  ;)

and I saw this thing too

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...7452&cid=NT.541

but its not available on my area, but hey its intel it might work on my laptop  :(

that is the right adapter(the first link link) but the second link will NOT work...as far as the DWL-G122 goes though, im having trouble with it(as mentioned in my previous post) i would go for the buffalo one seems to be less problems