Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

guys..

i have a D-link G122 wireless Usb .. i have installed the ralink software but my d-link adapter doesnt show any activity when plugged in.. no lights nothing..

in the software .. the usb utility.. it says NO Device!!!..

can anyone help plz?

Bingo, we have wireless!

It's fairly simple:

1)Buy the Belkin wireless USB adapter.. I've been told that this will work with the PCMCIA version as well (since the Tiger drivers exist), but I don't know first hand.

2) Go to the Ralinktech website and download the 11g-RT2500 USB driver for OSX 10.4.X.

3) Install the driver in Tiger before you plug in the device.

4) After reboot, plug in the wireless adapter and go to the network settings.

You're good to go.

The only problem I have is that after a reboot, I have to unplug then re-plug in the USB adapter as the OS doesn't seem to recognize it. Any ideas?

UPDATE: See post #36 for my steps to get it working.

I have bought the Belkin and downloaded the driver. Would you tell me how to install the driver. Just looks like a bunch of nothing in OS86...no dmg or anything to install it with.

thanks

any help here will be appreciated people!!

guys..

i have a D-link G122 wireless Usb .. i have installed the ralink software but my d-link adapter doesnt show any activity when plugged in.. no lights nothing..

can anyone help plz?

well i have read in many posts abt d-link, for people it actually worked.. you need to replug it in after each reboot and repeat the steps u initially used to install it.. (i mean the Ralink driver install and everything...)

i just find it strange how right after i installed, the wireless & ethernet worked great, but as soon as i reboot, it doesn't work @ all. Why would it work right away then not @ all?

well i have read in many posts abt d-link, for people it actually worked.. you need to replug it in after each reboot and repeat the steps u initially used to install it.. (i mean the Ralink driver install and everything...)

sorry, i should've specified, my laptop has a built in HP W500 wireless card & it worked great right after install....then i rebooted & it doesn't work any more. So un-plugging it really isn't an option :P

well. my friend, then i might not be the best person to answer this.. i apologize..

am such a loser that i'v been trying to make this damn thing (d-link g122) work since the day one, even though most of the peolpe have managed to make it work, but i am a total failure in this :P

sorry, i should've specified, my laptop has a built in HP W500 wireless card & it worked great right after install....then i rebooted & it doesn't work any more. So un-plugging it really isn't an option :angry:

i guess i'd head to lunch now.. no one's bothering to reply to this anyways :D

guys..

can anyone help plz?

help ppl .. where are all the geniouses now?? :P os X doesn't even detect my wireless dlink usb (g122)..

anyone???

well. my friend, then i might not be the best person to answer this.. i apologize..

am such a loser that i'v been trying to make this damn thing (d-link g122) work since the day one, even though most of the peolpe have managed to make it work, but i am a total failure in this ;)

i guess i'd head to lunch now.. no one's bothering to reply to this anyways :(

UPDATE: See post #36 for my steps to get it working.[/b]

Broken Link.

I bought this device and it is revision B1, but unfortunately Firmware 2.03!!! i looked for alternative firmware cause i think that might be why i get "no device detected" in osx. I've tried just about everything, im about to give up, oh also, im using 10.4.5 is anyone else using this device with this version of OSX?

Thanks

Dre

Broken Link.

I bought this device and it is revision B1, but unfortunately Firmware 2.03!!! i looked for alternative firmware cause i think that might be why i get "no device detected" in osx. I've tried just about everything, im about to give up, oh also, im using 10.4.5 is anyone else using this device with this version of OSX?

Thanks

Dre

I just bought the exact same device, I'm using 10.4.5 and it worked with no problems at all (up to this point).

Model DWL-G122 h/w ver: B1 f/w ver: 2.03.

Though my computer assigned en0 to it, when I plug it in the wireless utility pops up and i can configure it from there with no problems... wep works. It doesn't appear as an airport device, but it works.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'm using the "STA_2500USB D-1.1.2.0 OS-10.4.X 2005-11-29.dmg" file found on the ralink site.

Working great with WPA-PSK - TKIP here! OSX 10.4.3 (dtk userdvd + jas 42b)

Installing from: STA_2500USB D-1.1.2.0 OS-10.4.X 2005_11_29.dmg

(http://www.ralinktech.com/drivers/Mac/STA_2500USB%20D-1.1.2.0%20OS-10.4.X%202005_11_29.dmg)

This is on an Asus WL-167g USB dongle. I first tried the driver from Asus' homepage with no luck - strangely the Wireless utility loaded fine but could not detect the NIC. Booting with -v option showed errors loading the driver. This one however just worked!

help ppl .. where are all the geniouses now?? :graduated: os X doesn't even detect my wireless dlink usb (g122)..

anyone???

I'm in exactly the same boat, bought a DWL-G122 today. Install RALINK drivers. No device even found. About to try the Thom Replug driver, but I'm doubting anything is going to happen..

The one I bought today was says its a version C1 on the box, sounds like they've moved on from the B1 version...

edit: nope replug boot up driver didn't have any effect, not surprising being that unplugging and replugging the device does nothing. I'm wondering whether RALINK is no longer flavour of the month in DLINK adapters. In which case I just wasted $50 on it... Someone got another brand of USB adapter that actually works ?

Could someone help me out. I have a belkin F5D7051 and it looks identical to the F5D7050. I can plug it in and it will show the device as what it is in the system profiler "Belkin Wireless USB Adaptor" but I cant seem to use it. I have also tried to install the RT2500 drivers but still dont seem to be able to work it.

I am just being stupid and doing something wrong or I am trying to get something working that just isnt going to.

Belkin 54g USB working

Hello, a few minutes ago, I was reading this thread (I never had tried to use my USB wireless adapter because I connect to Internet through an Ethernet card), then I decided to download and to install the Ralink driver, I plugged the USB adapter after rebooting and... the WirelessUtilityUSB application was showing my SSID !!! Now I'm connected to Internet through the wireless adapter. In a few minutes!

NOTES:

- I had to disable the Ethernet port in the network setup

- The BSD name of the wifi adapter is en2 (Ethernet card is en1)

- I haven't made any change to plists or extensions

- WirelessUtilityUSB says that the WLan can be Open or WEP (I don't see WPA) but in the Belkin's web site says about this product: "Features wireless 64 and 128-bit WEP Encryption" (not WPA?)

- The wifi adapter is Belkin 54g USB, product ID 0x7050, manufacturer ID 0x050d

- But when I boot the PC, if WirelessUtilityUSB isn't loaded, there isn't wlan and I must unplugg and plugg the wifi adapter

Many thanks to Ralink and to you that are helping to others in this thread.

Mine shows up as 0x7051 for the product ID on the mac and just seem to be getting no where. If it is going to work should it just plug in and work and list under network settings or is there some other thing I am supposed to have running, disabled e.g. . I have installed the latest Ralink driver but still doesnt show any details in wirelessusbutility. Also my intel pro 100 S card doesnt even seem to work.

Has anyone come across either of these and had any joy.

I have noticed this: if the Belkin 54g is enabled at startup, WirelessUtilityUSB is launched itself and lists the wireless networks found. But if the system boots with the wireless adapter disabled, WirelessUtilityUSB is not launched and I cann't connect to Internet.

I Have now tried the Belkin F5D7050 v3000, F5D7050 v4000 and the F5D7051 on a iBook G4 and on my PC running OSX86 10.4.5 with the latest RaLink Drivers on and none of them work the v4000 the light comes on and stays on while plugged in but thats it. The only one I havent tried of belkin is the v5000 as they didnt have any. As the only belkin one I havent tried is the v5000 I am just thinking that all the people that got it to work must have just been lucky to have the right one but not realised it.

Hope this helps others or I hope someone can help me to sort this or just confirm exactly what model is supposed to work.

Also just been through belkins uk site under support and looks like they do a F5D7050 v2 which does have a belkin mac OS 10.3 driver perhaps this is the version that works.

Again hopefully someone will be able to help.

Hi Guys,

I picked up a DWL-G122 V.C1 and used the ralink RT71W Drivers dated 2006/04/07 Drv1.1.2.0 10.3.X ~ 10.4.X and it worked right away.

The Wireless app works, Encryption and authentication work.

I am right chuffed :) it was the only thing holding me back

I've got an inspiron 6000.

MacNub