Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

Ok guys about the DLink USB Wireless Adapater? is this it ?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...4803&cid=NT.541

I live in canada  :(

and I saw this thing too

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...7452&cid=NT.541

but its not available on my area, but hey its intel it might work on my laptop  :P

the first link, DWL-G122, will work ONLY if it is hardware revision B1 (read some more posts in this thread for more), i got mine from office depot in Vancouver, and it cost less than $39!

not sure about the second link, but Dell TrueMobile 1350/1400/1450 miniPCI cards do work (they use the same chipset as apple airport cards). You can find them on ebay for reasonable prices.

Ok quick (stupid) question, i just got the Dlink USB Wireless, How do i install

the drivers? when i try to click on the install.pkg it asks me what program to use, all i know is when u click it its gonna install by itself. please correct me if im wrong.

Nice work everyone, but I have one quick question, is it the Belkin F5D7000 v.2000 or v. 3000 that works with this Ralink driver? The HCL Component List @ the Wiki states v.2000, but @ < http://ralink.rapla.net/ > it states v.3000. Which is it? I just purchased v.3000 and want to be sure I got the right one before I open it. Thanks!

Guys,

I picked up a DWL-G122 (b1) and installed the ralink driver (dated today... v1.1.1.0.

Got connected to my AP fine. Shows as connected and the MAC address is listed on my AP with a corresponding IP.

However how do I select to use this device in System preferences?

I can't appear to ping my router at all, it just says no route to host.

What did you guys do to use the device ?

Ifconfig -a shows en0 (the device with my MAC address set on router) as active....

Little stumped.

Cheers

I have been in touch with YL at ralink regarding the WPA issues their drivers have been having, for the past week or so. He sez that the new release (dated 9/13/05) on their site for OSX 10.4.x (Universal Drivers) should hopefully solve the problems for many of us who want WPA to work. I have just seen the drivers on the site now (away from my computer most of the day), and havent tried em out yet, but fingers are crossed .... :)

Edit:

the doc for these drivers states:

Fixed WPA-PSK (TKIP & AES) disconnecting problem.

If this works, YL deserves a cold beer ...

I have tried WPA-PSK with TKIP using the new drivers. It has been working for a while now ... transferred 860MB file over the LAN using SFTP, worked great. Slower than WEP of course, due to the better encryption. I will judge these drivers over the next couple of days before I am convinced of their stability.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the DWL-G122, it worked with the ralink drivers the first few times i used it, but failed to function after hibernating/suspending(closing laptop lid) and then after a cold start works fine....doesnt work if its plugged in when computer is booting or restarting....only after in OSX....and now it wont work regardless of when i plug it in...i've uninstalled and then installed the drivers again....the drivers know its connected and the packet logs show i have conectivity but nothing actually works as far as browsing or trying to use the conection....anybody experienced similar issues?

Using the DWL-G122 (b1) and installed the latest ralink driver (v1.1.1.0 9/05):

Almost identical to your problem, it worked the first time after driver install and reboot, then it will not connect properly afterwards. The thing is it works properly nearly always under WinXP and you assumed it can't be the router/access point and the DWL-G122(b1) and so it must be the driver or OSX.

Well, I think it is partially the driver and OSX, but, it is also the choice of router. I had this problem of no sustained connection with a Netgear MR814 router/DWL-G122(b1), however after changing the router to a DLINK DI-624, it worked fine and reliably.

The conclusion is that the driver is obviously not optimized and may not work reliably with certain wireless routers/APs. If you are having problems, try a DLink wireless router

• 2 weeks later...
umm. what link are you referring to? the ralink site still has the download, and wiki still has the link to ralinks driver page.

The links are there but when you try to download the link on mac drivers there is no link the other drivers still work.

The links are there but when you try to download the link on mac drivers there is no link the other drivers still work.

Duh!!! The other lists ie next to the arrow Linux, Windows all were active the Macintosh was not. I thought it was a list and the drivers ie USB were not active. Sorrry

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adapter (Rev 4) wihch is listed on the Ralink site as using the 2500 chipset. I tried the mentioned procedure... with no luck. the device lights up the power button as soon as i plug it in (it does that even before installing the ralink drivers) the device is recognized in system profiler as the Linksys Wireless G adapter... (Again recognized even before ralink install) so I suppose all that´s missing is getting the ralink kext loaded with it... should i modify any files to include my vendor id and product id??

VID: 13B1

PID: 000D

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to confirm

Using the D-Link DWL-G122 Rev. B1 with no major issues (like so many others have said, I'm posting this wirelessly on my "mac" right now). Using the latest drivers from the site that's been posted here (radlink, I think). I'm using a Netgear Rangemax router.

Now, the minor issues.

First, a tip to get security (WEP, WPA, etc) working on the wlan. I had upgraded the Rangemax router to the very newest firmware (the beta version where when you select security you can select WEP, WPA, and WPA2). No matter what setting I choose, I was unable to connect to the network when ANY security was enabled. If I turned off all wireless security, I was able to connect. Like so many others, no security wasn't going to fly. I went onto Netgear's site, and downloaded the lastest "stable" or "final" firmware for the router. Flashed it with that firmware (the newest non-beta firmware), set the protection for WPA, and VILOA! I'm able to connect.

Second, when I connect to the wireless network, I choose WPA, input the info, and off I go. When I look at the Wireless Utility "Site Survey", it shows that the Encryption is WEP and the Authentication is Unknown. Unsure as to what this is. But it leads to the next minor issue.

In the "Profile" section, when I setup a profile to use the WPA, I'm unable to connect. It seems like each time I want to connect, I have to specify the information each time. Minor issue, considering how many network cards either don't work at all or work with very limited (or no) security.

Third, as posted by others, if you reboot the machine you need to unplug the network card and plug it back in for it to be recognized. Just wanted to confirm that this action is still needed.

Fourth, "other" wifi utilities aren't able to access the network card. The one program that I've tested is Boingo (as I was going to try using this before I decided to flash the router to a "stable" firmware). The software errored out that it was unable to find the airport card. All well.

I think that's everything, hope that this helps.

I bought the Belkin FD57050 USB Wireless Adapter and I can connect to the internet via WirelessUtilityUSB.

However, to connect to my school network I have to use Internet Connect and PEAP authentication. On windows I have to use IBM Access Connections and enter in a usernmae/password.

Yet, when I go to Internet Connect the only option for network port is Built-in-Ethernet, no Airport. If I could get it to go to Airport I could configure the rest of it. Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

I bought the Belkin FD57050 USB Wireless Adapter and I can connect to the internet via WirelessUtilityUSB.

However, to connect to my school network I have to use Internet Connect and PEAP authentication. On windows I have to use IBM Access Connections and enter in a usernmae/password.

Yet, when I go to Internet Connect the only option for network port is Built-in-Ethernet, no Airport. If I could get it to go to Airport I could configure the rest of it. Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

That's the only option your going to get. OS X isn't managing the wireless, a different client is doing so. OS X reports it as a wired device because it knows that it's a networking device, but it's not a Airport (so it must be a wired controller).

As far as I know, there isn't any way (yet) to get it to go to Airport. So if the program you're using to manage your wifi doesn't have "feature X" built in, "feature X" isn't going to work.

Hope this helps.

Well my native (dual boot) installation went incredibly well on my Compaq Presario x1000 laptop. In fact, the only thing that doesn't funtion is the built-in 802.11b wireless. Everyhting else was recognized and

hi there, will you tell more about the dual boot configuration? i'm also looking for such info.,

but not much found.

thanks.