Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

How about the IFCONFIG command. Can we somehow use that instead of iwconfig?

Example I found on the net:

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.1

iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid

iwconfig wlan0 channel 4

iwconfig wlan0 mode Master

Yeah, depends on how they have ifconfig setup on darwin or whatever I guess. I don't have a wireless card in to test, personally.

It would be something like this, though (type ifconfig -a first to find out the network card name, it might not be wi0):

ifconfig wi0 inet 192.168.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid my_SSID

Replace 192.168.10.10 and 255.255.255.0 with a valid IP address and netmask for your network.

Also, does 'wicontrol -l' do anything on OS X? Like it does in BSD?

OOPS, forgot the WEP part (not sure if it handles WPA). It would be slightly different if you have WEP.

ifconfig wi0 inet 192.168.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid my_SSID wepmode on wepkey 0x1234567890

I'm using the Ralink Tiger driver for the Belkin F5D7050 on my mac mini and it keeps trashing OSX every time there's high network traffic. Beachballing and kernel panics galore. If you check Ralink's forum this seems to be a common problem. Is this the same on OSX/86? Can't test this myself coz I've no USB support on my Mactel. :unsure:

I'm using the Ralink Tiger driver for the Belkin F5D7050 on my mac mini and it keeps trashing OSX every time there's high network traffic. Beachballing and kernel panics galore. If you check Ralink's forum this seems to be a common problem. Is this the same on OSX/86? Can't test this myself coz I've no USB support on my Mactel.  :unsure:

Yes, there seem to be quite a bit of problems for PPC OSX users and these drivers. However, one workaround is to install the Belkin drivers and the ralink drivers. I doubt that the belkin drivers are universal, like the ralink ones are though.

I haven't had a chance to try compiling anything yet. I am still working out making a bigger partition so I can actually install xcode and try somme things out. Hopefully I have a chance next week...

There has to be some command line or file editing that can be done to config SSID, though. Nothing is stored in netinfo manager pertaining to this, so it has to be in a preferences file I'd think. Maybe I'll pick up this USB one so I can find out... Seems to go for like $40 at most places I guess.

Just some more info for this Belkin. Here is what I get when I have it installed and working on my Mac Mini - About This Mac --> More Info --> USB --> Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter

Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter:

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: en1

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Belkin

OS9 Drivers: No

Product ID: 0x7050

Vendor ID: 0x050d

Or we could just get some decent cards :)

MacWireless.com

Also, an mac forum thread discussing the same Belkin card for running on Mac OS on macs:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=225688

Thanks, Setec.

I think the problem is poor PCMCIA support for why all the non-USB cards don't work. This WPC54G card I have works fine out of the box on a Powerbook and it thinks it is an Airport Card. But, with -v I see initialisation errors about PCMCIA on my X86 system (HP Compaq NC6000).

Oh well, I'll have fun trying to figure out manual configuration on that USB one soon at least.

I can confirm that the D-link DWL122G (b1) usb wireless network adapter also works.

Tried it this lunch time and it was working very nicely. :(

If the DWL122 works, then it's possible the Netgear MA111 (which I have) may work too - check out this page:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-22628.html

The OSX drivers for the DWL122 apparently work for the MA111, so maybe, just maybe... will report later tonight (Sydney time). Drivers available at http://www.dlink.com.sg/products/support.asp?pid=175#drivers

My fingers are FIRMLY crossed. My broadcom ethernet (on IBM Thinkpad R40e) does NOT work.

I was just reading through the posts here. I just want to clarify that there are 2 different D-Link DWL-122 usb cards. One is for 11mbs (DWL-122) and the other is for 54mbs (DWL-G122). Just thought I better mention it before people get their hopes up and get the wrong one. I tried installing the older DWL-122 software on my x86 to try and get some kind of access to the WEP/WPA settings but I got no joy.

Here is the old DWL-122 card:

http://www.dlink.com.au/default.aspx?FolderID=89

And here is the one that I know works: DWL-G122 (tried it successfully in a couple of builds for both sse2 processor (centrino banias based laptop motherboard) and an sse3 processor system (MSI915GLM-V motherboard).

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx

oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oUop7hqltbNlwaaRp6zgtAmu5j3cf/YEMAM7u2aLhJ0sTseo=

I was just reading through the posts here. I just want to clarify that there are 2 different D-Link DWL-122 usb cards. One is for 11mbs (DWL-122) and the other is for 54mbs (DWL-G122). Just thought I better mention it before people get their hopes up and get the wrong one. I tried installing the older DWL-122 software on my x86 to try and get some kind of access to the WEP/WPA settings but I got no joy.

Here is the old DWL-122 card:

http://www.dlink.com.au/default.aspx?FolderID=89

And here is the one that I know works: DWL-G122 (tried it successfully in a couple of builds for both sse2 processor (centrino banias based laptop motherboard) and an sse3 processor system (MSI915GLM-V motherboard).

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx

oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oUop7hqltbNlwaaRp6zgtAmu5j3cf/YEMAM7u2aLhJ0sTseo=

To further clarify, there are 2 different hardware revisions for the DWL-G122 USB cards. revisions A1 and A2 are based on Intersil Prism chipsets, whereas revision B1 is based on the ralink chipset. B1's are the only ones that work in OSX (PPC and X86 based), they also work in Linux. A1 and A2's, according to my research, do not function in OSX at all (PPC or X86) or in linux. You can find the HW revision listed on the back of the box, so check BEFORE you buy.

I've been able to get the darwin wireless driver working with the built-in wireless card on a dell laptop. I am not willing to host the modified driver but I can post detailed instructions if people think it's going to be useful.

I guess any wireless device using the RT2500USB driver would work? That would make stuff a lot easier - you just search through the ralink listing of devices that use the 2500 chipset and see which is easiest to get (or cheapest). I'd advice avoiding the dongles with a * behind there name, these don't always use the driver (depending on the version) - I've thrown away 60 euro before due to that...

I think I'm getting myself a Sweex LC100060 (18 euro, so worth the money).

Now all I need to do is convince my dad that I can safely use his brand-new ipod photo 60G ;) .

Sam

I've been able to get the darwin wireless driver working with the built-in wireless card on a dell laptop. I am not willing to host the modified driver but I can post detailed instructions if people think it's going to be useful.

Yes lagnat, I think many people would find it useful. I dont know what the internal wireless card is on a dell but if it is based off centrino then many users will be able to complete their system functionaility and will be very happy!

Yes lagnat, I think many people would find it useful. I dont know what the internal wireless card is on a dell but if it is based off centrino then many users will be able to complete their system functionaility and will be very happy!

Yes, there seem to be quite a bit of problems for PPC OSX users and these drivers. However, one workaround is to install the Belkin drivers and the ralink drivers. I doubt that the belkin drivers are universal, like the ralink ones are though.

I tried that and it made things even worse. Instant kernel panic when trying to smurf the net.

I tried that and it made things even worse. Instant kernel panic when trying to smurf the net.

Well, I suspected it wouldnt! PS. I am not sure (you may want to check the ralink site forums) if the ralink or belkin drivers needed to be installed fist, or whether it mattered.

Anyway, I have bought my very own DWL-G122 rev B1 card (had to go to 2 locations, out of 9 cards, only 1 was B1, the rest were A1 and A2) at Office Depot, and will fool around with it later ...