Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

Well, I suspected it wouldnt! PS. I am not sure (you may want to check the ralink site forums) if the ralink or belkin drivers needed to be installed fist, or whether it mattered.

Anyway, I have bought my very own DWL-G122 rev B1 card (had to go to 2 locations, out of 9 cards, only 1 was B1, the rest were A1 and A2) at Office Depot, and will fool around with it later ...

Did exactly what the guy in the forum said : first the Belkin OSX 10.3.9 drivers and than the Ralink OSX 10.4 drivers. It backfired.

Good luck with your DWL-G122 rev B1 card.

cmond lagnat share the instructions <_ or host it on one of those upload sites>

He already did, check the drivers forum. And, it works, provided you have a supported PCMCIA chipset on your laptop (which I do not). If your PCMCIA subsystem initialises, it will let the Broadcom chip that is in the Apple Airport and some other cards to work.

Yeah sure WEP has been cracked, but it requires a significant amount of "interesting packets" to crack the key. On my home network with a single, lightly used wireless laptop (all the big downloading is done on my wired desktop) this will take A LONG TIME.

I know my neighbors aren't doing this, so it'd mean someone would have to be parked outside my house for several weeks.

That's not accurate, the packets can be forced to be sent/received to the AP, there is no reliance upon how much traffic you generate...so we're talking in the 1-10 minute neighboorhood to open your network. But as long as people aren't concerned their neighboors or anyone else is doing it, so be it. I'm just posting a word of warning for those that don't realize it.

I tried RT2500 based PCMCIA wireless card again to see what errors i get...

dmesg returned this:

ACPI: Supported S-states [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

AppleMTRRSupport: Enabled Write-Combining for memory range e0000000:800000

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI 4520 rev 01

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: , TI 4520 rev 01

USB caused wake event (EHCI)

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH4 ATA/100 (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0x1868)

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH4 ATA/100 (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0x1860)

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE0@1F,1/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRIM@0/AppleIntelPIIXPATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/HTE726040M9AT00 Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Detected 82540EP LP on PCI (32-bit / 33 MHz)

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 6): vendor 0x1814, device 0x0201

IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 1 function 0 to card services.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_config(bus 6)

IOPCCard info: fn 0 bar 1: mem 0xc0262000-0xc0263fff

IOPCCard info: irq 11

com.CardBus.driver.WirelessDriver isn't a valid mach-o

error mapping module file com.CardBus.driver.WirelessDriver

can't map com.CardBus.driver.WirelessDriver in preparation for loading

Can't determine dependencies for com.CardBus.driver.WirelessDriver.

Couldn't alloc class "CardBusWirelessDriver"

Jettisoning kernel linker.

Resetting IOCatalogue.

VID: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 0

Matching service count = 1

ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v5.9

AppleAC97CodecAD198x: 2-to-4 channel spreading enabled

IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled

AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:0d:60:7d:08:a4

VID: vram [e0000000:08000000]

bsd_write_page_cache_file: Can't write header 5c

bsd_write_page_cache_file: Can't write header 1f6

prepare_profile_database: Can't write header /var/vm/app_profile/fffffffe_names

bsd_write_page_cache_file: Can't write header 0

Another interesting thing is that system is much slower when PCMCIA card and Ralink wireless drivers are installed. If i uninstall drivers system is fast again, even with PCMCIA card in... Are Ralink drivers for PCMCIA cards somehow corrupted or not compiled for x86?

That looks like your PCMCIA system works... If you can find a card w/the Broadcom chipset that Airport (or Rev. 1 WPC54G), there is a driver that will run. But no other current PCMCIA NIC drivers.

Bugger.

Will give it a go anyway.  With no ethernet, I need wireless!  Such a shame, because it's working so well otherwise (on a fairly mediocre-specced laptop).

Although the Dlink software installed fine, when I rebooted, the adapter would not work. Sigh. Still not internet access.

I guess I could get one of these adapters that do work, but I think I can just wait until someone figures out how to make my Broadcom ethernet work, or my Netgear MA111 USB wireless adapter work.

This kind of sucks, I wish I had read the whole thread before buying the adaptor on Amazon. Apparently it's through a third party, Tech Depot, and I cannot simply cancel my order. Perhaps there is hope in getting the automatic configuration to work.

Also, could anyone on a native Mac try searching for your SSID in /System and /Library/Preferences?

Perhaps changing it to something clearly unique would help, like MYMACSSID:

egrep -R 'MYMACSSID|mymacssid' /System

egrep -R 'MYMACSSID|mymacssid' /Library/Preferences

Maybe we could also find where it stores the WEP/WPA keys in this fashion, but due to the possibility of encrypted keys this may be difficult/impossible.

Some progress to report:

I have gotten the Ralink wireless utility to work, and am able to add a profile, using WPA or WEP encryption (I use WPA-PSK on my access point, so I added a profile using that). I got it to work by clicking on the advanced tab, and clicking on the Radio Off button (which shows up w. a green icon) until it said Radio On. Sometimes it would go back to saying Off, and I would click until it no longer indicated Off. I was then able to access all other tabs of the utility (previously, clicking on the profiles tab would crash the app). When the radio switches between on an off, I can see my DWL-G122b1 D-Link USB adapter LED blink green a few times, all the LEDS are otherwise off (In windows, the LEDs are off except when associated with an AP, so not seeing LEDS on doesnt really mean anything). Weird. With the radio on (i.e. green icon and disconnected status, I can see the profile I have created and click on ACTIVATE, at which point the profile gets a red and yellow checkmark icon. After some time, the about tab shows the following (of course, I have changed my real mac address to a fake one below):

Wireless Utility
Version 1.1.0.0       Date: 2005-06-24

Nic Driver
Version 1.0.8.0       Date: 2005-06-17

Mac Address           EEPROM Version
01-02-03-04-05-06   1.1

Nothing ever shows up on the Site Survey page (it also shows status as: ** Disconnected **) There are lots of weird messages in the logs (you can see them in real time by doing a tail -f /var/log/system.log in terminal) as follows:

When inserting the USB wireless adapter:

Aug 27 21:10:49 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver: Ethernet address 00:11:95:85:92:59
Aug 27 21:10:51 tiger-x86 launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[233]: exited abnormally: Hangup
Aug 27 21:10:51 tiger-x86 configd[50]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 27 21:10:51 tiger-x86 lookupd[250]: lookupd (version 365.0.81) starting - Sat Aug 27 21:10:51 2005
Aug 27 21:15:09 tiger-x86 mDNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP sendto failed to send packet on InterfaceID 0180D400   en1/4 to 224.0.0.251:5353 skt 9 error -1 errno 65 (No route to host) 2515736927
Aug 27 21:15:41 tiger-x86 launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[250]: exited abnormally: Hangup
Aug 27 21:15:41 tiger-x86 configd[50]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 27 21:15:49 tiger-x86 configd[50]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 27 21:15:49 tiger-x86 lookupd[280]: lookupd (version 365.0.81) starting - Sat Aug 27 21:15:49 2005

When fiddling with the radio on/off button in the Advanved tab (LOTS of these):

Aug 27 21:16:10 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: !!! MLME busy, reset MLME state machine !!!
Aug 27 21:16:16 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:17 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:18 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:19 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:20 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:21 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:22 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:23 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.
Aug 27 21:16:24 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: RT2500USBWirelessDriver::MlmePeriodicExec - fRTMP_ADAPTER_RADIO_OFF = True.

Also, the packet counts in the Statistics page show really strange counts under Packets Transmitted Successfully, Duplicate Frames recieved, and Frames Recieved with CRC Errors, numbers like: 829010197102761 and -3161821826298361, all other counters are 0.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what was up ... these drivers seem wonky (untested in OSX-Intel by ralink, perhaps???)

Using the Belkin, and watching console while having the WirelessUSBUtility open, I get this over and over and over:

2005-08-28 17:34:09.266 WirelessUtilityUSB[243] *** Assertion failure in -[siteSurveyPageController RescanTimeFunc], SiteSurveyPageController.m:980

2005-08-28 17:34:09.266 WirelessUtilityUSB[243] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: FALSE' that raised during firing of timer with target 479f30 and selector 'OnTimer:'

2005-08-28 17:34:10.240 WirelessUtilityUSB[243] *** Assertion failure in -[LinkStatusPageController OnTimer:], LinkStatusPageController.m:169

Using eight_sixx's post from above, I went in and turned wireless off, deleted my profile, added my profile with WEP, this time without the program crashing. I hit activate, saw some green light activity. I then turned the wireless radio ON and saw some more activity. However, renew DHCP does nothing and still no IP for this.

Also, I run MAC IP Filtering on my wireless router and I see that my router sees my Belkin's Mac Address, so that is progress as well.

So close...

Getting even closer:

I have it that my router recognizes my Mac address as an attached device, but I have no ip address.

if i do "ifconfig -a", and SSID broadcasting is ON, I get this:

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::211:50ff:fe78:9cc9%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6

ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: active

supported media: autoselect

Media autoselect is active

if i turn OFF SSID broadcasting, then I get this:

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive

Again, I turn SSID broadcasting back ON and the status is active again.

With it active, my Belkin wirless card blinks every second.

With it inactive, it blinks every 5 seconds, but does it more rapidly (perhaps looking for SSID)

Something I found interesting:

I created a profile for my wireless connection, specifying the SSID and everything else. I set my router up to open (no WEP, no WPA), just like the usb dongle likes it.

Upon connection, the red and yellow checkmark never turned green even though it connected to my router and should have realized that it was a connection that has a profile...

Getting even closer:

I have it that my router recognizes my Mac address as an attached device, but I have no ip address.

if i do "ifconfig -a", and SSID broadcasting is ON, I get this:

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::211:50ff:fe78:9cc9%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6

ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: active

supported media: autoselect

Media autoselect is active

if i turn OFF SSID broadcasting, then I get this:

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive

Again, I turn SSID broadcasting back ON and the status is active again.

With it active, my Belkin wirless card blinks every second.

With it inactive, it blinks every 5 seconds, but does it more rapidly (perhaps looking for SSID)

Setec,

You are doing this with WEP? Try clicking on renew DHCP lease in the properties of your wireless card in System Prefs/Network. If that doesn't work, one other thing to try is assigning a static IP address/router address/DNS address and netmask, again in System Prefs/Network, instead of using DHCP (you should also be able to do this all using ifconfig).

I tried using both DHCP and configuring manually and had no luck connecting to my router using WEP or WPA...

Sure your not picking up your neighbors connection?  ; )

:D no he's not. I can also confirm that I have setup a profile using WEP and a 128bit key, system.log indicates that I associated with my access point on channel1. The access point logs also indicate that my usb dongle successfully associated using WEP. When associated, the dongle's Link LED is continuously lit. I too am having the same issue though ... DHCP doesnt seem to give me an IP address. Configuring a manual address doesnt work either I get lots of "no route to host" errors when trying to access other local area network ip addresses. Damn, we are close.

I am now posting this using my Belkin wireless. The new drivers worked. Even the WirelessUSBUtility is newer.

What's weird was that it found my old profile for my wep network, but I wasn't connected.

When I went to the Site Survey tab, it showed my network with my hidden ssid. When I hit connect, I just had to specify my SSID and then my WEP key - Bam! connected with dhcp, good IP.

I was just checking ralink's site around 10pm last night for new drivers, so this must have just happened overnight.

Thanks admiral!!!

Ah, wonderful! I sent an email to Ralinktech last week asking if they would compile the WirelessUtilityUSB application as a universal binary, seems I got my wish. Previously only the driver had been compiled universally.

WirelessUtilityUSB: Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures

WirelessUtilityUSB (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc

WirelessUtilityUSB (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

Has anyone had any luck using WPA? When I use WPA it keeps connecting and disconnecting on a 5 second basis.

WEP works flawlessly.. but I don't really trust WEP to keep anything safe.

I am now posting this using my Belkin wireless.  The new drivers worked.  Even the WirelessUSBUtility is newer.

What's weird was that it found my old profile for my wep network, but I wasn't connected.

When I went to the Site Survey tab, it showed my network with my hidden ssid. When I hit connect, I  just had to specify my SSID and then my WEP key - Bam!  connected with dhcp, good IP.

I was just checking ralink's site around 10pm last night for new drivers, so this must have just happened overnight.

Thanks admiral!!!

This is great news! Cant wait to get home and try it out .. anyone verify that WPA works??? Also, is the wireless utility now compiled for x86? Someone check the info on the wireless utility app, previous it indicated that it was a PPC binary. I know that a couple of us emailed ralink and posted to the forum requesting universal binaries ... damn, if they listened so quickly, ralink is the most responsive company i have seen ...

This is great news! Cant wait to get home and try it out .. anyone verify that WPA works??? Also, is the wireless utility now compiled for x86? Someone check the info on the wireless utility app, previous it indicated that it was a PPC binary. I know that a couple of us emailed ralink and posted to the forum requesting universal binaries ... damn, if they listened so quickly, ralink is the most responsive company i have seen ...

You might want to read the post right before yours. :( It indicates that the new binary is a universal one.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems with WPA as I am?  Constant connection and disconnection...?

yup. same problem here with WPA on my DWL-G122 D-Link USB dongle. WPA connects and disconnects every 3-5 seconds continuously. At least it picks up non-broadcast SSIDs now! :(

I would not use WEP on my home WLAN, too many smart-ass dudes around here poking about people's networks. So this is a setback. Maybe we should talk to ralink once more ....

Sigh .. for the brief seconds the link is connected, I see 100% signal strength and 99% signal quality .... we are now sooooooooooo close I can almost taste it!