New InsanelyMac!?

123 posts in this topic

@kiko - thanks for the feedback, sadly ads are a necessary evil as running a website as popular as InsanelyMac is difficult and expensive - as mentioned previously though, we are removing the in-post advertising for registered users. The new design was also necessary in order to move InsanelyMac on from just a forum and start to expand our horizons with a database, an integrated WordPress platform for delivering news, and any other useful features that the community would love to see - hence, my invite for feedback :)

@martin15s - we acknowledge that there's an issue with the Edit function which we're currently working on, along with minor spacing/font/margin issues in the forum - is there anything else outside of this that you can be specific about so that we can quickly rectify them you?

Ed - do you mind telling me why almost all the entries in InsanelyMac's Hardware Database are exact clones from OSx86 Library's Hardware Database?

Examples include:

http://www.osx86library.com/hardware/view.php?id=18

http://www.insanelymac.com/osx86db/device?id=307

http://www.osx86library.com/hardware/view.php?id=188

http://www.insanelymac.com/osx86db/device?id=794

Our records in our database contained little footnotes enclosed in square brackets for when we needed to research more information about the item. It's fine if you want to make a hardware database - but don't start ripping off others!

@ Sabr: I told you that you should have linked to OSx86 Library in InsanelyMac. Eventually they did. Listen next time.

I don't know guys, the community is really hating this. You didn't develop the theme with our approval. You put it under an iron cloak and then Sabr showed that screenshot and now it's even completely different for that.

In Latin, the root of the word "community" comes from the word "communis". Communis means "public, common, or shared by all or many". This isn't a community. You guys as Administrators should have upheld the task of being leaders of the community, by asking the people in an orderly manner as to what they want. Not a damn logo competition. IMO; this isn't a community, this is just like any corrupt goverment, the people with power do whatever the hell they want and the people suffer. You don't just come out of your ass with a new design and make it default without our approval.

~MoC

Wait... Calm down!

Don't forget to see the positive sides of all of the advertisements, friends.

Think of the huge Google AdSense check that somebody at Fubra deposits monthly! :angel:

Best,

Abyssian

i really can't belive that these adds are a problem for the regular user, wich is i guess quiet familiar with the use of the internet.

i don't see any adds on this page, not even the ones from google

@ Sabr: I told you that you should have linked to OSx86 Library in InsanelyMac. Eventually they did. Listen next time.

I don't know guys, the community is really hating this. You didn't develop the theme with our approval. You put it under an iron cloak and then Sabr showed that screenshot and now it's even completely different for that.

In Latin, the root of the word "community" comes from the word "communis". Communis means "public, common, or shared by all or many". This isn't a community. You guys as Administrators should have upheld the task of being leaders of the community, by asking the people in an orderly manner as to what they want. Not a damn logo competition. IMO; this isn't a community, this is just like any corrupt goverment, the people with power do whatever the hell they want and the people suffer. You don't just come out of your ass with a new design and make it default without our approval.

~MoC

I agree.

... this is just like any corrupt goverment, the people with power do whatever the hell they want and the people suffer.

Make that any government, they are all corrupt to some significant extent.

Some governments (the US & UK notably) murder their people during staged acts of islamic "terrorism" used to drive their imperial agendas, other governments merely rob their people.

I don't like this. Go back to the old one.

That is an option many have asked for, but it has been turned down flat. The closest you can get is to select "InsanelyBeautiful" from the theme dropdown menu. This doesn't fix the front page however. Sorry :D

Hopefully the powers that be will take in to account some of the complaints registered here and improve the functionality of the new layout, which to me is a much greater problem than how the board looks (which is all about personal taste). Hell, I'd read a length of toilet paper with a message scrawled in feces on it if it told me what I wanted to know (with gloves on, anyway).

For the most part, I think people are pretty resistant to change, particularly when they don't see anything wrong with what they already have.

For the most part, I think people are pretty resistant to change, particularly when they don't see anything wrong with what they already have.

Very true, sir.

Although it should not be overlooked by the Powers That Be that some of the most grossly dissatisfied individuals aren't finding faults with the look (although a big step backwards in terms of general design principles), but function.

As I previously mentioned (numerously so), the new style should not have gone to production in the current state.

And the controversy around the OSx86 Database isn't making the transition any easier.

Ideally, this is how the transition should have happened:

1.  Everyone notified of the impending change.  Admins, mods, news team, community, aunts, uncles, god-parents, and so on.

2.  The new theme would be set as an option, not a default.  Something along the lines of, "Check out InsanelyMac Beta!  Choose the new theme from the drop down and post bugs, feedback and general issues in the Official Thread."

3.  Bugs and issues would be remedied from the Beta (if not before), but not set as default until all is well.  This includes the new front page platform and functionality.

4.  Everything would be switched post-beta.  After the community has had the option to try it out before it is set to the default.

This is how true deployments work in an industry setting, albeit truncated, and the reason why this has caused so much (gonads and) strife.

Excuse my ramble.

[...]

4.  Everything would be switched post-beta.  After the community has had the option to try it out before it is set to the default.

This is how true deployments work in an industry setting, albeit truncated, and the reason why this has caused so much (gonads and) strife.

Excuse my ramble.

I agree with you; I'm surprised that this wasn't done as a public beta for a while to work out the kinks. Equally surprising was how out of the the loop many of the administrators were kept on this. Whether this was due to ignorance or deliberate action is irrelevant in the long run to us pions, but I'd be pretty unhappy if I were an admin myself.

As long as they listen to the complaints of users and improve the functionality it'll work out in the end.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's certainly not been our greatest deployment, but the site is now live and we're working hard and fast to rectify every issue that's been brought to our attention. We're looking forward to delivering the update to the OSx86 DB shortly, and we'll certainly be more careful and giving plenty of notice with this next release. Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's certainly not been our greatest deployment, but the site is now live and we're working hard and fast to rectify every issue that's been brought to our attention. We're looking forward to delivering the update to the OSx86 DB shortly, and we'll certainly be more careful and giving plenty of notice with this next release. Keep the feedback coming!

I'm confident that things will be worked out and future changes will be handled differently. There's always room to learn, right?

Anyway, the content is all the same, it's only the packaging and delivery that change; the former and not the latter is what keeps me coming back.

Fourth.

Additionally, news comments ought to be sorted chronologically. I don't read backwards. And the chain of conversation is incredibly hard to follow reverse-chronologically.

It may be true that there are fixes being made on the new design... but that's putting lipstick on a pig, polishing a turd, whatever you wanna call it. It's a design monstrosity to those who actually know design... the comments and responses speak to this.

And this, Dear Ed, is what I would like to know your response to.