[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I swear I had commented earlier today, but that post is nowhere to be found! ^_^

Anyone experiencing high CPU temps?

At idle I am running at 80 celcius....

This hasnt ever been a problem until recently. I am having all sorts of problems pop up and go away randomly... starting to get really frustrating. Going to get a Noctua U12P cpu cooler today to see if that does the job.

Im not overclocked or anything either, so I am very confused to why I am running so hot.

I'd hazard a guess that the contact between CPU and cooler is suspect.

Are you using the stock cooler? Make sure the clips are secure.

You may need to redo the thermal compound: Clean both surfaces with alcohol and apply a razor thin layer of thermal compound.

MAJ and others,

I've had a rock solid system for months but recently I've noticed a strange sleep issue (always worked 100%).

I've started to see a random system shutdown when selecting sleep. This seems to occur approx 1 in 10 times I select sleep. The machine goes through the motions of sleeping but actually just cuts out.

As I mentioned earlier sleep has always been 100% reliable on this machine and nothing has changed hardware, hibernate mode etc.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Any ideas?

thanks

Sleep issues in my case has always been a 1 out of n chance of failure. But, I'm not saying that my system is the benchmark others should go by. :whistle:

Lately, I haven't been using sleep, as I'm constantly downloading SL updates and other times just shut off the system.

Thanks for pointing that out. Since I originally installed a distro and it was dispayed correctly there, I was assuming that this info was detected correctly automatically.

Mike

Better yet, you can just delete that "SMmaximalclock" key and string entirely from the plist and let the BIOS supply the info in its place. Works for our Gigabyte boards. The rounding may be a little suspect, but it's a great solution for OCers.

kind regards,

MAJ

I noticed Cutterpillow got his MSI X58M running. Anyone else have this board?

I managed to get iDeneb running on my original hack box and ran through the script.

I used the gigabyte kexts included in the script since the chipsets are nearly the same. Only differences are audio ALC889 vs ALC889A and lan 8111C vs 8111D. Firewire isn't a concern right now.

I run into a "MAC Framework successfully initialized". I've tried booting with cpus=1 busratio=20 -f -v -x

Everything I could find about this problem points to needing to downgrade the bios, at least on other boards. I tired booting using the old 1.2 using M-Flash, but that didn't help.

Is there something else that could cause this? Kext's? ide drive? Like I said the little I could find on it pointed to the bios, but there's only 2 versions out for this board. If Cutterpillow has his going, I know it's possible. ;)

I just can't get this working.

I have the UD5 motherboard

I install Kalyway, and it runs fine.

I start the patch installer and it progresses to the osx installer.

The OSX installer gets to about a minute left, and my computer keeps getting the GSOD. I dont know whats going on. I have an imac I am going to try to run the patch installer from, but I dont know if that will work either.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?

Ditchmagnet:

Make sure you have your SATA controllers set to AHCI or RAID (there are 2 different controllers to set in the bios).

I thought hardware based Raid does not work. Setup Raid with OSx install disk.

I just installed 10.5.7 with the Script in my Gigabyte X58

Hi, a few Questions:

1)I repair permitions and always get the same results over and over again is this normal? (CoreVideo and Quicktime something )

screencapturet.png

2) Final Cut Pro Qmaster Doesn't Work always get a Error (I have ltest updates in evething)

This is in the Logs:

<mrk tms="269545039.926" tmt="07/17/2009 18:37:19.926" pid="201" kind="end" what="service-request" req-id="6C584AF6-04A7-4644-BB92-517620581B5A:1" msg="Processing service request error: Final Cut Pro generated an error or unexpectedly quitUser aborted Media Server"></mrk>

3)I have two OSX86 system one Q6600 and i920. in Premiere Pro CS4 Media Encoder Exporting times are the Same in Booths Machines :D

Thanks

I just can't get this working.

I have the UD5 motherboard

I install Kalyway, and it runs fine.

I start the patch installer and it progresses to the osx installer.

The OSX installer gets to about a minute left, and my computer keeps getting the GSOD. I dont know whats going on. I have an imac I am going to try to run the patch installer from, but I dont know if that will work either.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?

What SATA ports are you using? The GA/Jmicron (White) ports? If so, I'd switch to the green/blue Intel ports, at least until the install is done.

I just installed 10.5.7 with the Script in my Gigabyte X58

Hi, a few Questions:

1)I repair permitions and always get the same results over and over again is this normal? (CoreVideo and Quicktime something )

screencapturet.png

2) Final Cut Pro Qmaster Doesn't Work always get a Error (I have ltest updates in evething)

This is in the Logs:

<mrk tms="269545039.926" tmt="07/17/2009 18:37:19.926" pid="201" kind="end" what="service-request" req-id="6C584AF6-04A7-4644-BB92-517620581B5A:1" msg="Processing service request error: Final Cut Pro generated an error or unexpectedly quitUser aborted Media Server"></mrk>

3)I have two OSX86 system one Q6600 and i920. in Premiere Pro CS4 Media Encoder Exporting times are the Same in Booths Machines :unsure:

Thanks

That permissions log looks okay. The expected permissions is 644 (or rw-r--r--) and that's what it really gets changed to, 644, plus that "L" metadata label. Don't know what that is.

See here: Apple Support

Don't know about the others.

What Mac model name are you using?

And, do you have QE and CI?

regards,

MAJ

What SATA ports are you using? The GA/Jmicron (White) ports? If so, I'd switch to the green/blue Intel ports, at least until the install is done.

Actually, I am using IDE drives, and no SATA drives for install...would that be causing the problem? do I have to use SATA?

That permissions log looks okay. The expected permissions is 644 (or rw-r--r--) and that's what it really gets changed to, 644, plus that "L" metadata label. Don't know what that is.

See here: Apple Support

Don't know about the others.

What Mac model name are you using?

And, do you have QE and CI?

regards,

MAJ

Hi,

Mac Pro

MacPro4,1

Yes QE and CI are working

Compressor Works Fine is just when I use Qmaster.

Do you have installed FCP? Do you have Working Qmaster to take advantage of all cores?

Hello everybody,

I've had a few problems with my new Hackintosh lately and I am wondering if anybody else experienced this. I got the 10-day World of Warcraft trial (so that I can see what all the buzz i about). My computer restarted without warning trying to play it so I decided to download the whole package. I ended up experiencing several of these unexpected restarts. They come with no warning whatsoever and, while the computer is rebooting, I can normally see the phase leds on the motherboard fully lit. Interestingly enough, this happens both in Mac OS X and Windows. Upon reboot, the computer works fine until I attempt launching the WoW installer (or the game itself), at which point the computer will eventually experience another unexpected restart.

I tried both network ports (disabling the one I wasn't using). No change. This only seems to happen with WoW. Just worked a full day in OS X without experiencing a single restart. I will try larger downloads just to see if this couldn't be related to bandwidth usage...

I'm on the f8e bios. Will try the new f8f to see if it makes any difference...

Must be my computer's way of telling me that I don't have time to play! :unsure:

Colddiver

thx for the nice script, works perfect. but...

about this mac/more infos/hardware - There was an error while gathering this information

and

about this mac/more infos/memory - There was an error while gathering this information

what can i do?

my specs:

corei7/950, ex58-ud5 bios f7, 6GB pc3-12800, hd4870/1Gb

retail and script installed from a second hd with iatkos 10.5.7

I'd hazard a guess that the contact between CPU and cooler is suspect.

Are you using the stock cooler? Make sure the clips are secure.

You may need to redo the thermal compound: Clean both surfaces with alcohol and apply a razor thin layer of thermal compound.

kind regards,

MAJ

Thanks DD

I think it had to be the thermal compound or the cpu and stock cooler not meeting. I decided to just get a Noctua NU12P cooler, thing is amazing running around 28c in bios and 30-38c running mac.

A question to all. What would be the best videocard that will run out of the box? I don't want to mess around with EFI strings anymore, I have a 9800 gt right now and was thinking about switching to a 4870

thx for the nice script, works perfect. but...

about this mac/more infos/hardware - There was an error while gathering this information

and

about this mac/more infos/memory - There was an error while gathering this information

what can i do?

my specs:

corei7/950, ex58-ud5 bios f7, 6GB pc3-12800, hd4870/1Gb

retail and script installed from a second hd with iatkos 10.5.7

What bootloader did you install?

The older one, Chameleon 1012, doesn't work well with 10.5.7 System Profiler info. Note that this is just cosmetic.

Your only option I know of is to install the later version, which uses the smbios.plist to aid in providing this info.

regards,

MAJ

Hey Digital,

Do you still have that script to mount the EFI partition? I am trying to figure out what I did to get my 9800 GT to work on my current install so I can do it again on my new install.

thanks

Not sure if anyone can read this in the mess of messages.

i followed the instruct over and over like 10 times.

i have a ga-ex58-ud5

corsair 6gb

6800gs nvidia vid card

500gb hd

150gb hd

i used kalway for the 150gb got everything booted in 10.5.2

then i used the digital dreamers ud5 patcher

2,3,4 on the patcher

i install osx from the cd onto the 500gb

combofix to 10.5.7

use 5, 7 on the patcher

try to boot into osx on the 500gb and it hangs, i check and am stuck an the mdnsresponder.

im thinking its because i never put in a kext for the video card but not sure.

i think its a 256mb 6800 gs nvidia which works great in kalyway

any ideas greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty happy. Finally got through a complete install without any kernel panics!

But of course, there are problems...

After following DD's script and rebooting, I'm presented with the introduction video of all the different forms of "welcome", then a screen that asks me to insert a keyboard. I also can't move my mouse. So, it's not detecting my ps/2 mouse/keyboard. I'm able to move the pointer with my wacom tablet, but I don't have a USB keyboard.

Weren't the included kexts supposed to take care of ps/2 keyboard / mouse problems?

Maybe I didn't install the kexts correctly?

At step 5, I just left everything default and clicked yes, then moved on to step 6, finished etc.

Am I supposed to do something different?

The second minor issue I have is I cannot figure out how to get the front audio panel working. I tried installing some of the optional audio drivers that came with the installer, but this results in a kernel panic on start up. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to get this to work?

Did I miss the response to this question? I found this post through google in looking for help on the front panel audio. Mainly I'm wondering whether to connect AC97 or HD Audio (I'm thinking HD Audio). Not a deal breaker if I can't use it, but it'd be nice.

I'm pretty happy. Finally got through a complete install without any kernel panics!

After following DD's script and rebooting, I'm presented with the introduction video of all the different forms of "welcome", then a screen that asks me to insert a keyboard. I also can't move my mouse. So, it's not detecting my ps/2 mouse/keyboard. I'm able to move the pointer with my wacom tablet, but I don't have a USB keyboard.

Weren't the included kexts supposed to take care of ps/2 keyboard / mouse problems?

At step 5, I just left everything default and clicked yes, then moved on to step 6, finished etc.

Could you possibly just get a ps2 > USB adapter? I'm amazed that someone would build a hackintosh and still be using an old school ps2 keyboard / mouse.

the kexts are included... but not set to actually install... they are in a reserve folder,

check thre and drag them into the correct folder.

Could you possibly just get a ps2 > USB adapter? I'm amazed that someone would build a hackintosh and still be using an old school ps2 keyboard / mouse.

Haha... When I built my PC, I ran out of money. I've been using an old compaq keyboard and a 10+ year old compaq mouse...

edit: I found some ps2 drivers online, everything's working fine now except sound. I'm on my way!...

Hi, I read in Apple Forum that my problems with Qmaster are caused by 10.5.7 (Mayme my Slow Performance in CS4 too) This script is optimzed to install 10.5.7 there is any way to find the old scrip to install 10.5.6? or I can use this one and what I need to Change after install?

Thanks for noticing my wiki FAQ for this board. Please please please feel free to and help edit it regularly!

Let's help the big dogs stay focused on Snow Leopard rather than answering the same questions over and over.

You mean a wiki like someone started and linked to on about page 40 of this thread? :blink:http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._Mobo,_Scripted

Hi, I read in Apple Forum that my problems with Qmaster are caused by 10.5.7 (Mayme my Slow Performance in CS4 too) This script is optimzed to install 10.5.7 there is any way to find the old scrip to install 10.5.6? or I can use this one and what I need to Change after install?

I can't remember all the details that changed in 10.5.7, but the biggy is the kernel. So, go ahead and install 10.5.6, but install the Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel and System kext, as well. Remember to add the "busratio=20" kernel flag (without the quotes) to the boot plist for the kernel.

best of wishes,

MAJ

P.S. You could also try to install the included vanilla 9.7.0 kernel and kext, the same one that's used in 10.5.7, but I'm afraid that is the source of your issues in 10.5.7 anyway.

Thanks for noticing my wiki FAQ for this board. Please please please feel free to and help edit it regularly!

Let's help the big dogs stay focused on Snow Leopard rather than answering the same questions over and over.

Hey, luh3417,

Gota say thanks again for that wiki.

Did you ever get a response regarding how to add links and update the main page to later OS versions - beyond 10.5.4?

regards,

MAJ

Hey, luh3417,

Gota say thanks again for that wiki.

Did you ever get a response regarding how to add links and update the main page to later OS versions - beyond 10.5.4?

regards,

MAJ

Here in the forum I ask that someonw fix our Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 wiki so its non-user-editable index page refers to FAQS like mine about later OS versions - beyond 10.5.5 There were no responses to the forum thread, nor the comment page for that wiki, and the Wiki Index Page remains unchanged and uneditable. If anyone in this thread can get any response from the site operators please ask them about this.

In the mean time, please feel free to contribute questions and answers and clarifications to our Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 wiki since at least people in this thread know about it, and it will save both beginners and experts a lot of trouble and make this thread cleaner.

I recently added two passages to the wiki.

"Don't be afraid to actually read through the X58_patch_installer.sh bourne shell script, which is in the ~extra folder of the X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer you will be downloading and using. There is no magic involved, the script is simply a tool to put the right files in the right places with the right permissions, and help you edit a couple of those files to have the right contents."

"If the above fail, try the EFI string approach. To generate the string you should run OSx86Tools.

1) Click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags"

2) Click "GFX Strings" (If your card is not listed, click "Custom GeForce hex" and complete the three dialogs with your card's info)

3) Select the hex at the bottom of the window and copy

4) Replace EFI__HEX_STRING_GOES_ HERE in the text below with the string you just copied.

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>EFI_HEX_STRING_GOES_HERE</string>

5) insert the above text in your com.apple.boot.plist in your /Extra folder

6) Save and reboot

(Thanks to FUT1L1TY http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=1188985)

Actually version 3.9 of X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer makes this even easier. Simply put the raw hex from OSx86Tools into Plists/EFI_string.txt (don't add the <key> or <string> nodes, just the raw hex period) then use step 8 of the script to install."