QT 7.6 DEFINITE MOUSE LAG FIX for ALL 8800 GT/GTS 512 & 8600-8500-9800 series

cyclonefr

294 posts in this topic

I don't exactly know whats up with my card and either of the provided Mac Pro 8800GT bios. It's just not stable for me, personally. My motherboard bios is showing different characters where others should be and also some artifacts as well. :)

post-133961-1232953542_thumb.jpg

post-133961-1232953551_thumb.jpg

2D3D bios works pretty ok, but is fairly unstable with my card.

3D bios doesnt even let me play around with the OS before it freezes.

Back to Quicktime 7.5.5 ;)

Later,

-Stell

In worst case I remove Quicktime.. Sorry for my post, but I think this is the crapest software I ever seen, VLC is much better.

Any problem happen if Quicktime is completely removed with CleanApp ? In other words, any program is quicktime dependent ?

Compare your original bios with for example 2D-3D bios, and put the same memory timings (all 7 of them), same boot up clock, same t°/fan speed, same perf table (although i couldnt edit the 4th one) and then retry, it could work. I have no problem at all and tried games etc.

I don't exactly know whats up with my card and either of the provided Mac Pro 8800GT bios. It's just not stable for me, personally. My motherboard bios is showing different characters where others should be and also some artifacts as well. :blink:

post-133961-1232953542_thumb.jpg

post-133961-1232953551_thumb.jpg

2D3D bios works pretty ok, but is fairly unstable with my card.

3D bios doesnt even let me play around with the OS before it freezes.

Back to Quicktime 7.5.5 :(

Later,

-Stell

I am an interesting reader of the Mouse Lag problem.

Q: What has QT 7.6 to do with the GPU type used ?

Apple apparently calls BIOS feautures that are not available; in for example the installed 8600GT/512MB but in their own 8800GT.

I wonder if the browser plugins for Safari/Firefox are affected as well, or that it is the QT core only.

The same problem happen on 8500GT. This problem affect a lot of 8xxx cards. Not only the 8800GT and 8600 are affected.

If Apple call BIOS feature that are not available why older cards work ? For example 7300GT...

Well, older 7xxx cards probably work because the problem is caused by a feature that Apple added to the 8xxx series cards found in the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro.

My activation woes were solved by a terse phone call to the automated Microsoft activation line. This is not the first time I've had to call that line, and this probably won't be the last. I've got a copy of XP Home that I purchased back in 2002 that has probably been installed on 20 machines over its lifetime (Never more than one at a time) and it's long since passed the time where I can activate it without calling Microsoft and yelling at the rep to just activate my legit copy already. :lol:

I've played some games in Windows and run benchmarks in OS X. All appears well and the flash seems to have caused no issues with non-QT performance.

It also bears mentioning that this isn't the first BIOS flash needed to run OS X on nVidia cards. Back in the dark ages of Tiger, nVidia cards with 512 MB of video ram would not run correctly and required a BIOS flash to correctly report the available video ram to the Darwin bootloader. This issue has long since been resolved at the software level, but back in 2006 the only way to run a 512 MB nVidia card was to flash. I had a 7900 GTO back then and was one of the first people to try gotoh's fix.

Thanks to all people who worked with this fix.

I flashed my 64K 8800GT with 2d3d.rom, but I also experienced bad frame drops using Exposé.

After setting all clocks for 2D to 0Mhz (as the original card is), I managed to get rid of them.

Now I think I have a 100% working machine.

Cheers!

I´ve flashed my GTS with the 2D3D bios and i´ve changed the clocks, volts. etc... to the GTS values ... all is working fine on leo and Snow... thx ;)

I saw that nibitor could add values for 2d and other states.

Could that make the 9800GTX bios work?

if u set 2d freq to 0/0 - then better to use 3d bios. it will act same after all.

9800GTX i think will work, since 8800GTS512 works, it's basicaly same cards, tune clocks/voltage/deviceid in nibitor and try.

p.s. woot at my posts number :)

Here are my results... I've flashed my card (Gigbyte 8800GT - GV-NX88T512HP) using 2D3D.ROM since I also have 64k ROM. I've got rid of all issues in OS X (no more mouse lags... and no more ugly corrupted background image showed during boot).

HOWEVER, I have gained various strange graphical artifacts in lower resolutions (e.g. in BIOS or during apple boot screen) - small dots or pixels with different colors. Even after restoring all settings (frequencies, timings, etc.) from my original GFX bios.

Only way how to get rid of it is to flash back to my native bios.... :)

Unfortunantely it seems it doesn't work well with all geforce then, specially the 64K ones.... Try the 3D.ROM, maybe it'll work good for you in the bios.

Cyclonefr, have tried both - no luck. Having the same issue as I have described above. If it can help somehow to resolve this issue I'm posting my factory default BIOS (Gigabyte 8800GT NX88T512HP).

Thanks for your efforts.

NX88T512HP.ROM.zip

Here are my results... I've flashed my card (Gigbyte 8800GT - GV-NX88T512HP) using 2D3D.ROM since I also have 64k ROM. I've got rid of all issues in OS X (no more mouse lags... and no more ugly corrupted background image showed during boot).

HOWEVER, I have gained various strange graphical artifacts in lower resolutions (e.g. in BIOS or during apple boot screen) - small dots or pixels with different colors. Even after restoring all settings (frequencies, timings, etc.) from my original GFX bios.

Only way how to get rid of it is to flash back to my native bios.... ;)

Ditto.

Here's a link to my original XFX 8800GT 512MB Zalman Fan Edition bios. Maybe Kabyl or any other pros can dissect it to see where the problem is.

XFX8800.ROM.zip

-Stell

9600 GT isn't affected (G94) by this problem as far as I know. About the bugs that people have, I'm not sure what to do, it seems not all 8800 GT are the same, and in your case it doesn't like that firmware. Well if it's only dos characters that are affected but not OSX, then I guess it isn't horrible.