QT 7.6 DEFINITE MOUSE LAG FIX for ALL 8800 GT/GTS 512 & 8600-8500-9800 series

cyclonefr

294 posts in this topic

http://support.apple.com/downloads/NVIDIA_...ics_Update_2009

Description:

About NVIDIA Graphics Update 2009

This update improves cursor movement when using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter with the Mini DisplayPort enabled MacBook Air, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

It also improves playback of HD video running on systems with NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT or GeForce 9600M graphics.

What do you guys think?

-Stell

EDIT: Installed via Pacifist. I was hopeful, but this update sadly did not deliver the goods we were looking for. :P

-Stell

Just some issues Ive noticed:

- With 2D3D.rom, I can't install Nvidia official drivers for Windows, the screen goes blank when the driver initializes.

- Opening the 3D.rom with NiBiTor, gives me wrong data, but 2D3D.rom is just fine to edit.

Now I'm using 3D.rom, because of compatibility with Windows, but I would like to rise up my voltages and clock values.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

As I posted in this thread, you can edit it : just choose 8800 series, then PCIE 8800 GT, save the bios, and reopen it, and voilà you will be able to edit it.

This works perfectly, in my case I edited it to have all my original ram timings, etc (although the untouched one worked perfectly too).

I'm not surprised at all these new drivers aren't fixing this issue, and unfortunantely I doubt it'll be "fixed" in 10.5.7, I mean, why would they fix smthg that isn't broken on their product ? Hopefully we can eventually isolate the culprit so we can mod any bios from any card that is suffering from this issue...

hello cyclonefr,

i have a question for you.

i too have been trying to extract the x86-only part from the 8800gt mac pro rom, but have failed.

i have compared the 2d3d.rom to the x86-only part, and there are only two different bytes, the first one being the one where the last rom indicator bit has been set and the second one being the very last byte.

do you know what the last byte is for?

i am still trying to understand why the unmodified first part of the mac pro rom is not working when flashed to a 64k 8800gt. i could imagine that without the last rom indicator bit being set, the computer/os tries to read the next rom which just isnt there, but thats only an educated guess until i know the meaning of the last byte.

cheers, raz

Because 9600 is not on the list of re-flashable cards I am looking for a replacement. 8800 is not available, but a friendly shop would exchange it for a Leadtek 9800gt 512.

Do think i should give it a try? Is is reflashable based on this tutorial?

The last byte is simply the checksum, and when modifying the rom for the "last rom" thing, you need to modify the rom checksum too, that's why this is changed too, that's all :wacko:

hello cyclonefr,

i have a question for you.

i too have been trying to extract the x86-only part from the 8800gt mac pro rom, but have failed.

i have compared the 2d3d.rom to the x86-only part, and there are only two different bytes, the first one being the one where the last rom indicator bit has been set and the second one being the very last byte.

do you know what the last byte is for?

i am still trying to understand why the unmodified first part of the mac pro rom is not working when flashed to a 64k 8800gt. i could imagine that without the last rom indicator bit being set, the computer/os tries to read the next rom which just isnt there, but thats only an educated guess until i know the meaning of the last byte.

cheers, raz

SoSa : 9800 GT 512 should work since it's G92 but you'd need to edit the bios I guess (not 100% sure !).

Your 9600 is the 9600 GT based on G94 ??? I thought it wasn't affected by the bug, was it ?

Sorry for the stupid idea, but I think the best way to solve this issue is to flood the apple support forum or "bugreport.apple.com" with bug reports without mentioning "8600" or "hackintosh"... Tell about 8800 mouse lag or something similar :) and don't use your insanelymac username.

If mouse lag disappear with rosetta tell this to apple. I think the guys at apple check the code.. but more people reporting the same thing is better than one.

SoSa : 9800 GT 512 should work since it's G92 but you'd need to edit the bios I guess (not 100% sure !).

Your 9600 is the 9600 GT based on G94 ??? I thought it wasn't affected by the bug, was it ?

I am using EFI-X, and 9600 is not on the supported hardware list of efix. It works, but rather buggy (system crashes, etc), so i have to replace it anyway.

My other card which i am using is a 8600, but evidently it is not supported by 8800 bios.

@zoliky : i've reported the problem to Apple, and they were surprised and didn't understand why I had this because they couldn't reproduce this. I sent them videos, etc, but they didn't understand, as a nice way of saying : "sorry, we can't help you" although i'm not sure they knew i was using a hackint0sh, because they sent me at least 3 emails about this, but eventually in the last one I didn't reply, because they always asked me for more info to reproduce the problem (while they couldn't of course).

Leadtek Winfast 9800GT has been reflashed with 2D3G.ROM.

I am using it right now from OS X with default settings. I compared the settings in NiBiTor. Not a big difference with the exemption of first page 2D which used to be 0 0, now 300 600.

So i left at default

However, there is a drawback: speed-control of the fan to cool the GPU no longer works. It spins at full speed all the time.

After intensive testing I have to say that even accepting minor artifacts the 64kb bios is not reliable - I got random system freezes in windows. Now I'm back with factory default bios and QT 7.5.5 :(

@zoliky : i've reported the problem to Apple, and they were surprised and didn't understand why I had this because they couldn't reproduce this. I sent them videos, etc, but they didn't understand, as a nice way of saying : "sorry, we can't help you" although i'm not sure they knew i was using a hackint0sh, because they sent me at least 3 emails about this, but eventually in the last one I didn't reply, because they always asked me for more info to reproduce the problem (while they couldn't of course).

thanks for your reply! np, anyway I sent a bug report :( hehe

You can change this with nibitor (temperature tab)... Just put the ones that are the same as your original bios, and it should work.

I am not sure. It seems to me fan control is handed differently on my ex 9800 board. nibitor shows nothing for fan, every item is empty.

I checked with google: On an nvidia forum i found "We have checked it and in fact this BIOS has no fan speed control table and as such can't display anything. This is like the GeForce 9800 GT actually and your BIOS is actually the newest. You could try to flash an older PNY BIOS and see what it does, though sometimes flashing to an older BIOS doesn't always work as good, just so you know and if so just flash back. "

@Leoopardoo : the 64K bios WORKS, just not on all cards it seems. I'm running 3D.ROM atm, and it works perfectly there :(

Just a note of confirmation - I have a MSI NX8800GT; flashed 2D3D.ROM with basic clock changes to match my old ROM, and it works great - no BIOS screen corruption or any other problems after a couple days of heavy usage. The card also has a 64K EEPROM chip.

Thanks much for your efforts!

@SoSa : too bad about the 9800 GT...

No problem here, i'm sure fan control can be fixed somehow.

The most important thing is: QuickTime 7.6 issue is fixed works as it should, and otherwise the card works in OS X and WinXP as it used to.

So i'm happy with it. ;)

http://support.apple.com/downloads/NVIDIA_...ics_Update_2009

Description:

What do you guys think?

-Stell

EDIT: Installed via Pacifist. I was hopeful, but this update sadly did not deliver the goods we were looking for. ^_^

-Stell

Aparently it dint't fix what it is supposed to fix, Apple pulled the update. I got it early.

Tried the Roms on my 9800GTX. No go. This quicktime issue is very irritating, as I had pretty much a perfect install before this issue cropped up. It will be even more disappointing if it prevents me from running iLife '09.

Tried the Roms on my 9800GTX. No go. This quicktime issue is very irritating, as I had pretty much a perfect install before this issue cropped up. It will be even more disappointing if it prevents me from running iLife '09.

iLife '09 requires quictime 7.6 :thumbsdown_anim: