QT 7.6 DEFINITE MOUSE LAG FIX for ALL 8800 GT/GTS 512 & 8600-8500-9800 series

cyclonefr

294 posts in this topic

The best fix for now (except GFX flash - which is no go for me so far) is to install iLife 09 and then downgrade QT to 7.5.5 (be aware that while using Pacifist you have to reinstall also iTunes - otherwise DRM content will not be playable).

Double check?

Been there lol, yes already did

On which card ? Make sure you are either leaving QT or Itunes in memory to experience the lag. If they aren't launched, then no lag.

G92 9800GTX, both QT and iTunes are open, even playing things a no lag at all. later I'll give you my running processes

That's interesting macgirl. I'm wondering if you can dump your rom and post it there ? Although i'm not sure people there reported any problems with 9800 GTX ? Even though, I might try to flash my 8800 GT with your bios to check if the lags are gone.. Could be interesting for 9800 GT users that have the problem ?

Maybe the 9800 GTX rom is lag-proof after all :) Good to know...

That's interesting macgirl. I'm wondering if you can dump your rom and post it there ? Although i'm not sure people there reported any problems with 9800 GTX ? Even though, I might try to flash my 8800 GT with your bios to check if the lags are gone.. Could be interesting for 9800 GT users that have the problem ?

Here it is, I extracted it with Nibitor.

9800gtx.rom.zip

It scrambled the video on my 8800GT :X

All good though, I'll reflash it later. :D

-Stell

AH HAH!

I think I may have found the main issue! Alright, so I built my mother's hackintosh and installed a 8600GTS in it. This was before I the mouse lag issue came to be. Anyways, 10.5.6 came out, no issue out of that card. Of course I had issues from my 8800GT with the mouse lag. So I decided to borrow her card and let her use the onboard GMA950 video since it's been working perfectly thanks to DSDT. So I wanted the lag to be gone on my hackintosh, so I plug this 8600GTS into my system and bam THERE'S LAG! I'm a little dumbfounded to say the least since it wasn't lagging on her system. Then I realize maybe it's that she's using a DVI to VGA adapter for video. So I do this same on my system. NO MOUSE LAG!

So there has got to be something to do with the VGA/DVI output to where there is no video/mouse lag.

I'll let the brains of the operation figure this one out.

P.S. - I have not tested my 8800GT using VGA output yet, but I will very soon.

EDIT: No lag on G92 8800GT using DVI to VGA adapter. :)

EDIT 2: So I tried tricking the card a couple different ways...

EDIT 3: After further testing with VGA mode I realized there is still a lag. However it occurs like this. Every 8 seconds then every 16 seconds. So you'll notice a lag at the 8 sec mark, then after 16 sec mark it'll lag again for a split second. It's almost unnoticeable since the lag via DVI is every 4 seconds.

When running in DVI Mode and hotswapping with DVI2VGA adapter the mouse lag still occured.

When running in VGA Mode (no lag) and hot swapping to DVI the mouse lag started to occur again.

So it appears it has something to do with a pinout of sorts and how the bios treats it. Very strange... Maybe it's possible to take this part of the Mac Pro 8800GT bios and inject this into a stock 8800GT bios. I'll leave these parts to the geniuses.

-Stell

If you have another card to reflash it, then try and let us know... else if you cant reflash it, don't do it in case you can't "see" anything and can't flash it back...

Dare I flash my 9800gt with that 9800gtx rom? I really would like to try... ;)

I have the PNY GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, it only has a 64k rom.

I flashed it successfully with the 3D version of the rom, and all appears to work fine, installed 7.6 QT, and no lag!!

Yeah!!!!

Thanks for the help !

Update: Both Windows XP, and Vista, detected a new a new card (8800GT same as before), and reinstalled the same drivers, and all appears fine after rebooting.

Here it is, I extracted it with Nibitor.

9800gtx.rom.zip

I tried flashing my 9800GT with it, and unfortunately it scrambled my display. I'm back on the original 9800GT ROM, running a downgraded Quicktime.

I wish I could figure a way to slow the fan down (other than unplugging it!) with the apple 8800GT ROM. Apart from the fan at 100%, it worked perfectly.

Thanks for uploading though, macgirl

I tried flash my 9800GT card. 2d3d rom isnt working - all video is composed from colored squares. But 100% working fans are real trouble. So even if it worked, I stay at original bios... Maybe some one will find what must be changed in original card bios to remove lags.

Ha. I tried macgirl 9800gtx bios. Changed all clocking to 9800gt (as mine original), made voltage lower (as 9800gt original) and flashed. Cooler noise is just as it should be,so fans control works and... NO LAGS with qt 7.6 )

Vista reinstalled drivers and works fine too.

Thank you, macgirl