QT 7.6 DEFINITE MOUSE LAG FIX for ALL 8800 GT/GTS 512 & 8600-8500-9800 series

cyclonefr

294 posts in this topic

Ha. I tried macgirl 9800gtx bios. Changed all clocking to 9800gt (as mine original), made voltage lower (as 9800gt original) and flashed. Cooler noise is just as it should be,so fans control works and... NO LAGS with qt 7.6 )

Vista reinstalled drivers and works fine too.

Thank you, macgirl

Wow, GutWulf -- how did you adjust those things, and would you be willing to share your modified bios? I'd be VERY grateful.

Well, I notcie a very little lag, but only when I launch QuickTime Player, the icon sttuters for a fraction of a second (when is bouncing) the mouse has lag for that fraction, but after is loaded no lag, wiht iTunes there is no sttuter and no lag at all.

Well, I notcie a very little lag, but only when I launch QuickTime Player, the icon sttuters for a fraction of a second (when is bouncing) the mouse has lag for that fraction, but after is loaded no lag, wiht iTunes there is no sttuter and no lag at all.

Are you connected via DVI to VGA dongle or just straight DVI?

-Stell

My monitor is VGA, so I use DVI to VGA adapter.

Hope soon I will get a flat panel with DVI.

Macgirl,

The amount of lag you're experiencing could be in correlation to the VGA adapter. I noticed lag in VGA mode, but it's harder to spot. It would lag at first when itunes or quicktime opened up then you almost won't notice it. The lag occurs in intervals of 8 and 16 seconds. This is at least how it is with the 8800GT connected via VGA.

-Stell

Wow, GutWulf -- how did you adjust those things, and would you be willing to share your modified bios? I'd be VERY grateful.

Hi shawnp0wers,

What are your experience with this bios?

I you are happy with it, i will make a try.

I have no problems with 8800 bios but after all it is a downgrade from 9800.

Macgirl,

The amount of lag you're experiencing could be in correlation to the VGA adapter. I noticed lag in VGA mode, but it's harder to spot. It would lag at first when itunes or quicktime opened up then you almost won't notice it. The lag occurs in intervals of 8 and 16 seconds. This is at least how it is with the 8800GT connected via VGA.

-Stell

Mine monitor is connected to PC via DVI (1900x1200). And no lag with macgirl bios.

UPDATE.

There is lag during Quicktime or iTunes launch time (icons jumping + little freeze just after launch), but when apps become ready, everything is smooth.

Hi shawnp0wers,

What are your experience with this bios?

I you are happy with it, i will make a try.

I have no problems with 8800 bios but after all it is a downgrade from 9800.

I'll give it a try. When macgirl said she use VGA, and had occasional issues, I was tempted not to try. Based on GutWulf's luck though (and willingness to share the modified bios) I'm going to try. At this rate I'll wear out the NVRAM on my card. LOL!

(I'll report back too)

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, this one scrambled my display just like macgirl's. I actually remembered the key sequence, and re-flashed my card without putting in a second video card. hehehehe.

I just got this card from newegg, I think I might just return it and get an 8800GT (which are in stock now).

Which software I need to use in windows to get my Nvidia card BIOS ROM ?

In the first post of this topic you can get all the software you need. It is much safer to use DOS, not Win that is why there you can find freeDOS image link too.

Hey Sampledi, I have the same card as you (confirmed G92 chip) but unfortunately I couldn't get my card working with either 2D3D or 3D.ROM

I was getting artifacts and mismatched characters. I didn't bother backing up my current BIOS but got one from www.mvktech.net so I'm back up and running again.

I was disappointed to see I only had a 64k chip, would've been great to get the Mac Pro BIOS on the board.

Did you edit the BIOS in NiBiTor?

Just to confirm, it's the XFX8800GT 512Mb G92.

cyclonefr

I guess your description of the problem is right. So, if Quicktime tends to try switching to 2D mode, then system thinks that all 8800 GTs (just an example with my card) are 2d gen. Switching to old 10.5.5 drivers helps than because they maybe did not have such feature. Downgrading QuickTimeComponents.component helps because it is maybe a feature (switching to 2D mode) introduced in 7.6 version when new MacBooks were introduced. I suppose it is one of the features for them to save battery.

Soooooo, OS thinks that our cards are new ones, but there are still macs with 1st gen. And since they do not report lags, then I guess we lack some way to tell OS that our cards are 1st gen (something in DSDT maybe). Then QuickTime will stop trying to switch into 2D mode and we will be happy :unsure:.

Update: this two generation of cards are for different generations of Mac Pros. 2nd gen supports PCI Express 2.0. My motherboard and videocard support only PCI Express 1.0. So I definitely have 1st gen card. Need to find a way to tell it to the OS.

Update2: Found in ioreg under IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/GFX0@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/GFX0@0/NVDA,Display-B@1/NVDA

IOPowerManagement->CurrentPowerState:0x2;DeviceChangePowerState:0x2;DriverChangePowerState:0x1.

People with 10.5.5 video kexts, please report your values

It's possible OneSman7, maybe we should try a device-properties from 1 st gen guy, but I doubt it cuz i tried to tweak all the values there with no success (even removing most of them)... If it is indeed something into the bios, then it should be reported into device-properties, and it doesn't seem to be... But maybe I'm wrong, it's worth a try... I have some Mac Pro dumps there but i dunno if they are 2nd gen or not.

Hello.

I successfully updated my ASUS 8800GT 512MB [512 kbit ROM] graphics card using nvflash and 3D.rom (via free dos usb boot stick). The card shows no artifacts and still works flawless on OS X and Vista 64bit.

My thanks go to cyclonefr, netkas, Kabyl and all the other contributors who made this possible.

It's possible OneSman7, maybe we should try a device-properties from 1 st gen guy, but I doubt it cuz i tried to tweak all the values there with no success (even removing most of them)... If it is indeed something into the bios, then it should be reported into device-properties, and it doesn't seem to be... But maybe I'm wrong, it's worth a try... I have some Mac Pro dumps there but i dunno if they are 2nd gen or not.

To be able to say definitely if it is worth trying or not I need DSDT from Mac Pro with 8800GT 1st gen installed + IOReg. Bear in mind that in macs not much info is in DSDT, so IOReg is more important. I want to compare it to mine and find difference.

Maybe the solution is not in changing one parameter, but to pass through DSDT mac pro's 8800GT properties. It may work cause they differ only in bios.

Update: Only now understood that people who flashed bios and stopped mouse lags could provide ioreg and dsdt too :) So please, there are a lot of you :)

I thought real Macs didnt have this problems, isnt this report on Apple Forum talking about more or less the same issue?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...94&tstart=0

They say it happens with 9600M GT, is that G92?

I tried the fix proposed there and it didnt work (unsurprisingly).

They are talking about DisplayPort to DVI adapters, there are reports here that there are less lag when running in VGA mode, and the fact the lag only seem to occur when QuickTime is running... well its just a guess but I think this problem could be related to DVI HDCP protection.

There is no HDCP in VGA right? It would be interesting to find out if this mouse lag happens with a pure VGA connection (no DVI-to-VGA adapters).

I thought real Macs didnt have this problems, isnt this report on Apple Forum talking about more or less the same issue?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...94&tstart=0

They say it happens with 9600M GT, is that G92?

I tried the fix proposed there and it didnt work (unsurprisingly).

They are talking about DisplayPort to DVI adapters, there are reports here that there are less lag when running in VGA mode, and the fact the lag only seem to occur when QuickTime is running... well its just a guess but I think this problem could be related to DVI HDCP protection.

There is no HDCP in VGA right? It would be interesting to find out if this mouse lag happens with a pure VGA connection (no DVI-to-VGA adapters).

Unfortunately it is not related. It is a known bug fixed in Apple NVIDIA Graphic Update.

Guyz, nobody wants to share ioregs? :whistle:

I hope this contains the info you need. It should contain anything that is connected to my systems PCI-Bridge.

I used this command line, but I don't know whether it fethes all the needed data or not.

ioreg -x -l -p IOService -n pci-bridge -r -d 100 -> ioreg.txt

ioreg.txt