NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

the smbios.plist is optional. It wasn't included in anything. Someone posted an example of one earlier. Some of us that use applemsmbios.kext realized you don't need the smbios.plist.

You need to delete the contents of or the entire "extentions" folder within the Extra folder if you are using an .mkext.

Also after using Carbon Copy in the past, I found that I needed to repair permissions on the drive before use.

Thanks, seanmcd--that did the trick. Tried simply deleting just the contents of the folder, and the machine would die with the multilanguage "You're screwed-please restart" screen. Deleting the folder as well allowed booting and restarting without a hitch.

Now if I could just get my ATi HD4830 video card working... :D

the smbios.plist is optional. It wasn't included in anything. Someone posted an example of one earlier. Some of us that use applemsmbios.kext realized you don't need the smbios.plist.

Thanks for the info. I went in the opposite direction, by not adding a modified SMBIOS.kext and using the smbois.plist, I can leave more things 'vanilla' on my installation and edit that plist to more accurately display my hardware.

On a side note and since others have asked on this thread, I will dig though my notes and post the answer to the "unknown processor" edit which is really simple to do if you know where to look.

So, this Gigabyte board seems really solid. What other boards (or models from Gigabyte) are people using with a lot of success? I used to love the old Asus P5W boards and wished I could find something like that with as few modifications as possible.

On a side note and since others have asked on this thread, I will dig though my notes and post the answer to the "unknown processor" edit which is really simple to do if you know where to look.

do you know a way without touching the system?

here's a way I found today, but you must modify a system file, however it won't interfere with updates, I believe it's different than the installer that you can find around, or the modification using OSX86Tools.app (which modify more stuff that I don't like)

This little trick is nice, clean, simple and will only change the "unknown" string:

goto \System\Library\Coreservices\Resources\English.lproj\

(if you use a different language I guess you just go to the language folder you use)

and modify the file AppleSystemInfo.strings

due to file permission, copy it to your desktop modify and replace,

in the file look for "UnknownCPUKind = "unkown";

When the cpu is unknown by the system, this is the string it will display,

this trick doesn't let the system know what cpu we are using, so it will still look for the UnknownCPUKind string

so we just need to change the "unkown" to whatever you want

on mine I set it up as:

"UnknownCPUKind" = "Intel Core 2 Quad";

on real mac the cpu string for dual core system is "Intel Core 2 Duo"

the change is done instantly, if you have the "about this mac" window open, close it and reopen it...

post-309790-1240889551_thumb.png

To fix UUID 35 Errors (From sneosx86). Don't use ionetworking or kexts as they just break other features (bonjour for example). The below adds a dummy entry into your networking config which fixes the UUID error

1.) BACKUP your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

2.) Open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

3.) ADD AFTER <string>Ethernet</string></dict> the following:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en3</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/

IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

4.) IF you have more than 3 interfaces or there is an "en3" interface change it to "en4" or a higher number, don't forget to change this "<integer>3</integer>" to "<integer>4</integer>".

5.) You need to REBOOT

Now for a strange problem...does anyone running a dual- (or triple-) boot system have any system clock instability?

I've checked my control panels under Win XP and OS X 10.5.6 and the time zones are set correctly. Yet, I can reboot from WinXP (with the clock set correctly) into OS X then go back into XP and my clock is exactly four hours ahead.

yes, only the GA-EP45C-UD3R handles ddr3.

I'm on a EP45T-UD3LR and it has (and uses) DDR3, even reported in "About this mac" without modification.

(Can't get Audio working and having issues getting 1680x1050 working on my Nvidia 9500GT but apart from that it's working great)

"Now for a strange problem...does anyone running a dual- (or triple-) boot system have any system clock instability?

I've checked my control panels under Win XP and OS X 10.5.6 and the time zones are set correctly. Yet, I can reboot from WinXP (with the clock set correctly) into OS X then go back into XP and my clock is exactly four hours ahead. "

I used the "Dual Boot Time Sync" patch in the iPC 10.6.5 distro to fix the problem.

"Now for a strange problem...does anyone running a dual- (or triple-) boot system have any system clock instability?

I've checked my control panels under Win XP and OS X 10.5.6 and the time zones are set correctly. Yet, I can reboot from WinXP (with the clock set correctly) into OS X then go back into XP and my clock is exactly four hours ahead. "

I used the "Dual Boot Time Sync" patch in the iPC 10.6.5 distro to fix the problem.

You don't need any patch to fix this. All you need to do is apply a reg hack on the Windows side.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31198 <---- it's the red text here

I have a very similar board - the only difference is that I have a plain ICH10 instead of ICH10R

It's an EP45-UD3R. Audio isn't found AT ALL. lspci doesn't even list audio; the only audio listed is my Radeon 3850 (?!). So as a result, no kexts I add have worked. I have Azalia in the BIOS set to Auto. It shows up in Ubuntu because I got a Linux codec dump. But I can't get anything out of OS X - every kext I try shows no outputs in the Sound prefpane.

Other than this, it's 100% working on a 100% vanilla install - anything I've added has been to the Extras folder for Chameleon 2.0 RC1.

edit: Oh, hell, this board has ALC888 not ALC889a.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...me=GA-EP45-UD3L

I'm a moron. Something new for me to try after work.

Ok I have used this guide to instal OS-X and it has work but I have EP45-UD3L

E5300

Ep45-ud3l

4gb ram

xfx 9600GT

only problem I am having is that I only have one setting for the screen size 1440x900., dont have audio yet (my board and ur3r have the same audio) and ,my fans are going mad, they wont slow down. Also when I scroll or move the windows they go blury. I know I have seen a fix but cant find it

Solution anyone??

greatly appreciated.

Hi, I've got the GA-EP45-UD3R up and running (iPC, 10.5.6 final) but the onboard NIC is giving me some trouble. At first it worked fine for a few days, then today OS booted and the NIC would come up and go back down once every 3 seconds or so.

The drivers I tried: Psystar, iPC, SourceForge, and vanilla in S/L/E/IONetworking and S/L/E/. Nothing seems to work (of course doing permissions every step of the way. I also checked that the green mode is turned off.

I have a Realtec 8169 working now, the odd thing is that the built in 8111 is now working again. Crazy making. I remember somebody with a X58-UD5 board having the same trouble but I can't find thread and/or solution. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Khan

Khan_Man I had the same problem. Network just stopped working one day; I could get it going by forcing the settings to 10M/HalfDuplex (no good); I then installed the official realtek drivers which got things going again (but no bonjour support). I ended up going for a FA311 PCI which worked OOB

I did read that enabling the NIC Boot bios could help (never bothered though)

E5300

Ep45-ud3l

4gb ram

xfx 9600GT

only problem I am having is that I only have one setting for the screen size 1440x900., dont have audio yet (my board and ur3r have the same audio) and ,my fans are going mad, they wont slow down. Also when I scroll or move the windows they go blury. I know I have seen a fix but cant find it

Solution anyone??

greatly appreciated.

did you add the efi string for your card...

as for the fan for me it's just a bios setting... well I mean for the CPU fan

for other fan I hard wire them to the needed voltage to get the speed I want

Hi, I've got the GA-EP45-UD3R up and running (iPC, 10.5.6 final) but the onboard NIC is giving me some trouble. At first it worked fine for a few days, then today OS booted and the NIC would come up and go back down once every 3 seconds or so.

The drivers I tried: Psystar, iPC, SourceForge, and vanilla in S/L/E/IONetworking and S/L/E/. Nothing seems to work (of course doing permissions every step of the way. I also checked that the green mode is turned off.

I have a Realtec 8169 working now, the odd thing is that the built in 8111 is now working again. Crazy making. I remember somebody with a X58-UD5 board having the same trouble but I can't find thread and/or solution. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Khan

RealtekR1000.kext works great, bonjour too...

in S/L/E (install it with kexthelper so you don't have to worry about permission)

And I didn't change anything in the bios related to that...

E5300

Ep45-ud3l

4gb ram

xfx 9600GT

Solution anyone??

greatly appreciated.

Update,

have fully functioning hackintosh incl sound, saying that the rear channel has become my front channel so will have to find a fix for that

I feel like I'm becoming the UUID Nazi. ;)

After much research into the UUID error 35's I believe the cause is based on the fact that with real Macs OSX creates a UUID based on the MAC address of the first onboard NIC. Since in my hackintosh I use a pci NIC (the very reliable Netgear GA311) instead of going with our mobo's onboard NIC which can be a bit buggy, the errors are being created (even though I thought the RealtekR1000.kext is suppose to fool the system into believing the pci NIC is an onboard NIC).

All of the usual solutions are IMO not good ones for they try to edit items that will get broken during OS updates from Apple (especially the "fix" of editing the NetworkInterfaces.plist). No, the right solution is to maintain the pure vanilla install that our mobo allows us to have. Our mobo is one of the best if not the best way to have a vanilla leopard install. And our fixes should (again IMO) try to maintain this luxury.

As such, my current band-aid solution is the use of a simple kext which assigns a UUID during boot. I should also mention that there are many many UUIDs that are used in OSX (each user account has one, all storage devices have them, etc.). But the one that we need to avoid the error 35's can be manufactured by using this kext without modifying anything within the /s/l/e folder.

So....

If you have various UUID errors (mainly at boot) and wish to eliminate them without touching key system files merely add the attached UUID.kext into your /Extra/Extensions folder (using Chameleon v1 or v2). It has a UUID inside which it will assign to your hackintosh. You can also go a step further and create your own unique UUID (which is a bit of a syntax error I guess since UUID stands for "Universally Unique Identifier") by using the also attached UUID Generator app. Create one just for you and then copy and paste it into the Info.plist within the UUID.kext (in this spot):

<key>UUID-key</key>
		   <string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016174EE065</string>

Make sure you do this PRIOR to loading the kext into your /Extra/Extensions folder of course.

Well that's it for now until I can figure out a better solution.

UUID.kext.zip

UUIDGenerator.app.v1.0.zip

thanks gmacman

I'll use it even though I don't have uuid error 35 for now :)

You may not need it. If you're doing fine without any errors it probably means that OSX is correctly generating one at boot from the onboard NIC.

GMac; can you confirm if you kext's play nice with Bonjour? I've tried a few and they tend to mess up Bonjour. Hoping this gets us to 100% vanilla

BTW whats the consensus on kexts now? I'm down to the following in my extras (i'm not sure why i have the ? ones)

AppleDecrypt

IntelCPUMDisabler

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx ?

LegacyJMicronATASATAIDEmode ?

Openhaltrestart

voodoopower

in /S/L/E

my audio fixes

jmicronata

appleSMBIOSEFI ?

GMac; can you confirm if you kext's play nice with Bonjour? I've tried a few and they tend to mess up Bonjour. Hoping this gets us to 100% vanilla

BTW whats the consensus on kexts now? I'm down to the following in my extras (i'm not sure why i have the ? ones)

AppleDecrypt

IntelCPUMDisabler

Openhaltrestart

voodoopower

in /S/L/E

my audio fixes

jmicronata

appleSMBIOSEFI ?

MY PACK OF KEXT AS OF TODAY, all compressed into an mkext

this is the absolute minimum, every single kext in my pack has a purpose...

STEP 1, you need all those no matter what:

kext___step_1.zip

Step 2, you need one of the two (using neither or both is not an option, both fixes reboot/shutdown):

kext_step_2.zip

one has speed step, the other does not

if you are overclocking the speedstep one may result in an unstable system

Step 3 : consider those as add-ons

kext_step_3.zip

you'll find built-in ethernet support with bonjour (if in mkext use -f as a boot flag , otherwise it won't get loaded, your internet will still work, windows sharing will work, but bonjour won't: so add <key>-f</key> <string></string> in com.apple.boot.plist in extra folder)

built in sound

and IDE support (read the readme if using it)

gacman's fix for uuid error 35

for correct cpu / ram values

I use an smbios.plist in the extra folder

you may use mine as a base, change the values to your need:

smbios.plist.zip

for video driver use EFI strings

and EFI string for "time machine fix" (I don't know if it's really doing anything but it does no harm)

-------

HOW TO MAKE mkext my way

create a folder "/Extra/Extensions1/"

copy all the kext you want to be in the mkext into the "Extensions1" folder

download this simple script I made (based on netkas way of creating mkext)

move it into the Extra folder (it can actually be anywhere you wish):

compile_mkext.sh.zip

open the script with "terminal.app"

that's it...

now more optional info :

to have the terminal in the "open with" list, copy the script to your desktop, [Command]+I to get the "Info" in the "open with" section select other in the drop down and find the terminal.app (in applications/utilities), change the "enable appllication" to "all application" and you'll be able to select it... check the "Always Open with", and "Add" button, close the Info panel and drag the script back to the Extra folder, I think that should do it, you may have to run it from the desktop once, this is due to permission issues...

when you run it in the terminal you'll be asked for your password, type it in, press enter... it's done...

it will replace previous mkext, your kexts must be in Extensions1 (double check for no typo)

the mkext will be located in the extra folder

you don't need to remove "Extensions1", as long as it's not called "Extensions" chameleon will discard it...

any way you know to check if it's correctly generating one ?

Good question. I really can't say for sure. I do know for sure that the one that shows up in the Console during boot (I think it says something like "Waiting for boot volume with UUID....") is NOT the one that causes the issues. That UUID is from your particular boot drive.

But I'm pretty sure if you don't get "Error 35" a bunch of times during your boot then your system is correctly generating one based on the NIC MAC address.

AppleDecrypt

IntelCPUMDisabler

Openhaltrestart

voodoopower

in /S/L/E

my audio fixes

jmicronata

appleSMBIOSEFI ?

Definitely stick with Eliade's list, to me they are THE ones to use as the base, then modify depending on your specific setup. Currently I run the following in /Extra/Extensions folder (note: I just like to have them separate instead of in an mkext file, but that's just me).

AHCIPortInjector

AppleUSBEHCI

ATAPortInjector

Disabler

dsmos

HDAEnabler

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage

OpenHaltRestart

RealtekR1000

UUID

Some of these may not be needed, and I may try to cut the list down a bit more (from what I started with). However, currently both my Hackintoshes are using this same set (both computers are based on our mobo).

Also note, I have ZERO modified ones in my s/l/e folder, everything is in the Chameleon /Extra folder.

AHCIPortInjector

AppleUSBEHCI

ATAPortInjector

Disabler

dsmos

HDAEnabler

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage

OpenHaltRestart

RealtekR1000

UUID

Some of these may not be needed, and I may try to cut the list down a bit more (from what I started with). However, currently both my Hackintoshes are using this same set (both computers are based on our mobo).

Also note, I have ZERO modified ones in my s/l/e folder, everything is in the Chameleon /Extra folder.

you can safely remove: :)

AHCIPortInjector

ATAPortInjector

Sorry, forgot to reply to this.

Bonjour is working fine for me. I have a printer connected via USB to an Apple Airport Express and I am able to print fine. I can also do file sharing and screen sharing both ways (meaning from a real Mac to my Hackintosh and from the Hackintosh to my real MacBook).

I believe the use of the RealtekR1000.kext is what is making Bonjour work okay.