NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Thanks. Yes so far I have not touched the default /S/L/E directory on this latest attempt (installed fresh from retail 10.5.6 DVD). I haven't even added the Realtekr1000.kext. So it's completely virgin. I will try those audio kexts although that might be the same ones I found last night. I must be missing a step for the mkext or doing something out of order

and maybe you should remove JmicronATA from my mkext since you don't use any IDE device

edit:

there, not realtek, no JmicronATA

no_network__no_IDE.zip

ok i'll try that one. I tried a previous version from the 9th or 10th that I thought you pulled the jmicron out of as well. but I'll try!

Just to reiterate to all - I can make a perfectly working machine using Uinstaller putting kexts in /s/l/e but I want a cleaner install with Chameleon 2.xx

This is now an obsession. I will haunt this thread until I figure it out, or win the lottery and buy a full Mac Pro... :):D

Yeah I have my own boot 132 disk

I even added the EFI string for my video card (8800GTS 320) on it, very usefull since without EFI it's almost unusable (because the screen is not refreshed well)

so after an install I can basically run of the boot132 disk for a while without touching the system at all, it just runs perfectly... :-)

if you want to make your own boot132, use slimbuiltgui:

http://######.com/downloads/SlimbuildGUI-1.0.zip

here is mkext tool:

http://######.com/downloads/MKextTool_1.0.zip

just add the kexts (NOT the mkext) use mkexttool to extract the individual kext from my mkext, slimbuiltgui will actually recreate a mkext on the CD. Add the a plist (com.apple.Boot.plist with the EFI string already on it) if you want boot option or EFI string (full video acceleration and Timemachine fix)

it makes it a perfect boot 132 specific for that board to install and also as recovery disk to boot your system if you mess up the Extra folder for whatever reason

also I forgot to mention if you use my JmicronATA you need to disable the option "sleep Hard Disk when possible" in the energy preference... otherwise you'll get random panic...

if you don't have IDE HD then maybe it's not important, but I'm not sure, to be 100% safe about that you should disable the option...

use my latest mkext:

with realtekr1000 included

mkext___ud3r___April_15.zip

sometimes realtekr1000 doesn't work well when it's in the mkext, I've noticed that after few days

local network (toward other mac at least) and screen sharing stops working randomly...

(sleep and wakeup is one workaound if it's in the mkext)

mkext without realtekr1000, in order to install realtekr1000 in S/L/E for an absolute perfect functionality

ud3r_without_network_april15.zip

and here is realtekr1000:

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

in that case no need for the -f during boot...

and you can install it in S/L/E with kexthelper:

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

Many thanks.

I tried to find the boot-132 link on the main thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288 but the link no longer works, and evidentially quite a few people are trying to get it. I knew you'd be a good source. I'll probably go with the slimbuild thing, I've read a little about that and as you say I can then add the string for my 8400 GS to insure video is working during install.

Will report later on how things go, although I'm like 99.99999% positive it will be a slam dunk. The only issue being can I use the IDE DVD burner for install, the target HD will be SATA (again my other system was all SATA throughout).

And thanks again for the "watch out for's", but I've already copied and pasted practically all of yoru posts as well as the other key posts throughout this thread (grindliners, skx, bigpoppa206, BillaBongo, and of course Auzigog). So the How To I'm putting together is going to be a fairly detailed and far too long to post here, hence my desire to post it on my blog. Of course this How To isn't mine at all. It's really yours and all the folks I mentioned (and probably a few I forgot to mention).

and maybe you should remove JmicronATA from my mkext since you don't use any IDE device

edit:

there, not realtek, no JmicronATA

no_network__no_IDE.zip

Didn't boot at FIRST, but I reset my bios defaults and only set AHCI settings (and no floppy), disabled the jmicron, and what do you know it works! Suh-WHEAT dude! Thanks. I can't believe it was a bios setting the whole time. Now I'm curious to know which one.

So, since my network appears to work fine out of the box (internet and access my Dlink NAS is all I need) I have a completely untouched install except for the Chameleon boot loader + Mkext. Thanks Eliade!! Now I'm going to work on a custom boot cd :D

Didn't boot at FIRST, but I reset my bios defaults and only set AHCI settings (and no floppy), disabled the jmicron, and what do you know it works! Suh-WHEAT dude! Thanks. I can't believe it was a bios setting the whole time. Now I'm curious to know which one.

So, since my network appears to work fine out of the box (internet and access my Dlink NAS is all I need) I have a completely untouched install except for the Chameleon boot loader + Mkext. Thanks Eliade!! Now I'm going to work on a custom boot cd :D

Glad it work, that's great,

good to know the bios can mess the boot

interesting that it work well without realtek

there's a Timemachine related kext in the pack supposed to solve a warning/error, actually it's related to networking too (considering the name ionetwokringfamily), so maybe it solve the whole networking issue

I'm going to try it without realtek and see...

edit:

so without realtek, windows sharing (smb) seems to be working

but I can't access shared folder to my other hackintosh, an no screen sharing either...

could you tell me if you have reboot/shutdown issues...

it looks like it was my overclock alone that kept it from booting from your mkexts. I was running 500mhz bus with an 8 multiplier. It's rock stable in Windows and fine when I loaded OSX from the Uinstaller method only, but weirdly enough it will not boot with your kexts when it's 500 * 8 !! I switched it to 10 * 400mhz and it's booting fine. Speed isn't correct in "About this Mac" but that's easy to fix.

Does true 5.1 sound (built in) work with board? Im only using 2.1 now but my friend needs 5.1. Is there an addon sound card that works? I personally have the creative sound x-fi extreme for my XP boot but i dont think there are drivers for the mac.

Does true 5.1 sound (built in) work with board? Im only using 2.1 now but my friend needs 5.1. Is there an addon sound card that works? I personally have the creative sound x-fi extreme for my XP boot but i dont think there are drivers for the mac.

I never tried 5.1, I don't have a receiver for surround sound

here's a how to:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87336

whenever you try it let us know how it goes

I'd also like to offer my thanks to those that have contributed to this thread, namely Auzigog and Eliade.

I'm up and running - I basically did a vanilla install from Auzigog's method and then used Eliade's method with Chameleon 2 and his mkext.

So far everything seems to be running fine, but I just got going. I'll report back later with more details about my computer's spec's and what I'm doing with it.

One thing, though - I'd like to install BootCamp, but when I fire up the bootcamp assistant, I get an error that says:

"You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant"

Any ideas? Alternatively, my plan is to boot into windows with VMWare Fusion or something that will do a virtual machine. Anybody get that kind of thing up and running? There are just a couple pieces of software that I absolutely need Windows for - namely Rhapsody. I subscribe to them so they are the source of all my music. It's a deal-breaker if I can't get it.

Thanks again!

By the way - I do a lot of audio/video editing, using Logic and Final Cut. For my audio interface, I'm running a PreSonus FirePod, which is a firewire device, so I'll report back later on how those all work out. For now, I'm off to bed.

I'd also like to offer my thanks to those that have contributed to this thread, namely Auzigog and Eliade.

I'm up and running - I basically did a vanilla install from Auzigog's method and then used Eliade's method with Chameleon 2 and his mkext.

So far everything seems to be running fine, but I just got going. I'll report back later with more details about my computer's spec's and what I'm doing with it.

One thing, though - I'd like to install BootCamp, but when I fire up the bootcamp assistant, I get an error that says:

"You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant"

Any ideas? Alternatively, my plan is to boot into windows with VMWare Fusion or something that will do a virtual machine. Anybody get that kind of thing up and running? There are just a couple pieces of software that I absolutely need Windows for - namely Rhapsody. I subscribe to them so they are the source of all my music. It's a deal-breaker if I can't get it.

Thanks again!

By the way - I do a lot of audio/video editing, using Logic and Final Cut. For my audio interface, I'm running a PreSonus FirePod, which is a firewire device, so I'll report back later on how those all work out. For now, I'm off to bed.

Great !

BootCamp is for Macintosh only, because you can't boot the windows install disk on an intel Mac, and therefore not install it (the bootloader on the windows CD does not work with EFI, which is what macs use, and what PC will use if few years). Besides letting you install windows (probably a BIOS emulator), it's just a set of drivers for Windows (video card, sound card, wifi, webcam, etc...) nothing else... and those drivers are made for Macbooks, iMacs, etc, not for your marchine ...

On a PC in order to install OSX it's the exact opposite problem, we need EFI to be able to boot the OSX install disk, only way is to do some kind of EFI emulation during boot (boot 132, grub-dfe, chameleon, etc).

So using Bootcamp on a hackintosh would be like setting up a BIOS emulator (probably installed on a mini partition) which thinks it will boot on an EFI machine (so something like an EFI booter will be installed on it) but it actually is a machine using a BIOS, so why would you need an BIOS emulator since you have an already working real BIOS... what a mess :D

Don't worry I know you didn't know that and many other don't know that either... :D

So, since you have a PC (with a BIOS not EFI) you can install windows just by booting on the windows CD, so no need for bootcamp at all ... and you should know that ! :P

just be careful that windows doesn't replace the bootloader on the osx drive, so the easy and safe way is to remove the osx drive when you install windows :)

well the only little problem afterwards is that you need a booter that can boot both windows and mac (something similar to Grub, which can boot both linux and windows), chameleon 2, may be the answer (will be in the final version), but I don't know if that's fully functionning on the chameleon 2 RC1, I never tried it... I don't have windows installed (well just in VMware Fusion)

anyway this was resolved before chameleon 2, just google "boot windows and osx on a hackintosh"

I'm sure you'll find your answer ;)

or the other way is to change the boot drive during boot ([ESC] or [F12] during boot) and choose either the drive with OSX installed on it or Windows...

Thanks for the super-fast response, Eliade. That makes sense.

If you've got Windows working via VMWare Fusion, that's all I need to know. I was actually planning to just use Fusion to run the boot camp partition - that's what I've done on my laptop before (a MacBook Pro). I'll try and get it going tonight.

Thanks again!

OK, so here is my setup and a walkthrough of how I got this thing up and running so far...

Computer spec's:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0 GHz

Video Card: XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

Hard Drive: Seagate 750gb Barracuda (SATA)

Optical (DVD) Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X (SATA)

RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM - DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

So, all that ran me about $700ish or so - not bad.

Here's my walkthrough - I'd like to note that I don't take any credit for this. This is all the workings of Auzigog and Eliade (and others). I just wanted to provide a concise step-by-step method for what worked for me in one place. I'm not in front of my hackintosh right now, so I'm trying to remember it as it went.

Misc:

When you're building your computer, there are two different connections for SATA devices. A row of yellow connections toward the bottom, and two purple connections along the right side. I did NOT use the purple connections - just the yellow one's. I read somewhere in this thread not to use the purple one's, so I didn't.

BIOS:

- So, first things first - set up your BIOS. When the computer boots up, hit "delete"

- When you're in the BIOS settings, on the right there is a setting that says "Load optimized defaults". Apply that setting.

- Before you exit BIOS, under "integrated peripherals", there are two settings you need to change. On the first option called "SATA RAID/AHCI mode", hit enter and choose "AHCI". Next, on the "onboard SATA/IDE device", choose "AHCI". (I think that's the 2nd one - somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

- Save and exit your BIOS settings.

Install Mac OS X from a retail disc:

Prep:

I used Auzigog's method to do a vanilla Mac OS X instal. I tried using Eliade's Boot-132 disc, but for some reason couldn't get my computer to boot from it, so I used Auzigog's GRUB-DFE disc, which worked like a charm. Here is Auzigog's tutoria.: http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/. On that page, under "required goodies", you'll see a link to "UD3P-package". Grab that - it contains the GRUB-DFE boot disc and UInstaller, which we'll need later.

Open Auzigog's package, and burn "grub-dfe.iso". Use "disco" to burn it (link on Auzigog's tutorial).

Install:

- OK, boot from the GRUB-DFE disc. You'll come to a screen that wants you to put in a two-digit prompt. At this point, take out the GRUB-DFE disc and put in your Mac OS X install DVD. Now, at the prompt, enter "fe" to boot from the disc. You should see a screen that has the option "boot from Mac OSX Install DVD" or something highlighted. Press enter.

- You'll see a gray apple screen with the little spinning icon for a while, and then you'll go in to the Mac OS X setup.

- Before you start the installation, you need to format your hard drive. This step tripped me up a bit because I had previously had a windows install on my hard drive, so here's what you do.

- Across the top, you should see "Utilities" Under that is ""Disk Utility". Select that.

- In Disk Utility, you should see your hard drive on the left - you need to format it.

- Select your hard drive - make sure and select the top level of your drive - not the partition. Basically, select the drive that actually has the hard drive space labelled.

- Go to the "Partition" tab across the top.

- Under "Volume Scheme", select "1 partition".

- For name, put whatever you want to name your hard drive. I put "Mac OS".

- Under "format", make sure it's set at "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

- Now, this is what tripped me up - you need to make sure you're using GUID. Under "options" (toward the bottom left of the screen), choose the first option - "GUID". Mine was set at something different when I first tried to format, and it would let me complete the format.

- Hit "apply", and marvel at how quickly Mac OS X formats a drive - I remember the old days of waiting hours for Windows to format a hard drive....

Back to the OSX Install:

- Close the Disk Utility, and proceed with the installation. You should be able to install on the drive you just formatted. If it doesn't show up for some reason (it did to me), force a restart and boot from the GRUB-DFE disc again (hit "fe" to boot from the OS X disc, and the switch them out).

- OS X should install just fine. Once it's done, you'll need to re-start. You probably will have to force a restart here - that's how it worked for me. It just spins and spins if you try and get it to restart on its own.

- Boot from the GRUB-DFE disc again, only this time, instead of entering "fe" to boot from a disc, enter "80" to boot from your hard drive.

- Finish the OS X installation. I had to verify my keyboard. When it comes to the registration, you can hit "apple-q" or, if you're like me and using a windows keyboard "windows button-q" and select "skip". You do have to set up an account.

Update your vanilla OS X install to 10.5.6:

- Alright, now you've got OS X installed and actually running. With my hardware, the video card fan was going full-bore - sounded like a jet taking off in my office. Graphics and sound don't work, etc.

- Choose "Apple (the icon on the top left) -> Software update...". Let it run. I had internet access going just fine. I'm using a Netgear wireless router, but I'm running ethernet from that to my computer. Software update will give you a bunch of stuff to update, but you only really need to choose the OSX 10.5.6 update at this point. It's 600-and-some MB big, so it will take a long time to download - 25 minutes or so for me. I had previously downloaded it form Apple and burned it to a disc, but for some reason it wouldn't let me install the update when I tried to install it from the disc. Software update worked just fine, though.

- Before you restart, you'll need to make one more change...

- If you have IDE device, especially HD, you need to go in the system pref / energy pref, and disable the option "turn off Hard disk when possible" (or something similar). Otherwise you get Kernel Panic once and a while because of the JmicronATA in Eliade's pack, which on the good side allows IDE device to work perfectly....

- You'll need to restart. Go ahead and click "restart" - this will install the software updates. Once they are done installing, you'll get the endless circle thing while the computer tries to restart. When you're sure the software is done installing, force a restart again.

- Boot from the "GRUB-DFE" disc again, choose "80" to boot from your hard drive (this is the last time...)

Now that you've got a totally Vanilla OS X install:

OK, from this point, I'm using Eliade's info and offerings...

- After you've booted back to OS X running 10.5.6... MAKE SURE YOU DO THESE STEPS IN THIS ORDER:

- Install Chameleon 2 - you can google it to find a download. Just agree and hit install.

- OK, now you've got a folder called "Extra" - it's in the system directory. So, bring up your finder window, and at the very top left is your system directory. It will be called whatever you named your hard drive back when you formatted it - Mine's called "Mac OS"

- Under System/Extra, delete the "Extensions" folder

- Next, you need to put Eliade's latest "Extensions.mkext" file in the "Extra" folder. I'm using the download labeled "mkext___ud3r___April_15.zip", which you can get in post #372 in this thread.

- So, just download that .zip file, and extract it - you should have a file called "Extensions.mkext". Drag that into the "extra" folder. It will ask you to authenticate and for your password - i think.

IMPORTANT: Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and find the file named "com.apple.Boot.plist". Right-click, copy, and paste it to the desktop. Label it com.apple.Boot_original.plist or something similar.

- Next, we use the UInstaller we downloaded originally from Auzigog. Open up the UInstaller. OK, now you only need to do two things: First, check the "add efi string for time machine fix" box and check the "add efi string for video card" box - not sure if that's exactly what they're called, but you'll see what I mean.

- For the video card, select your card if it's in the drop-down. My 9600 GT wasn't so I selected "custom NVidia". Hit the install button. Make sure, though, that you're installing the data to your hard drive - there's a drop-down at the top to select it.

- If you selected the custom NVidia EFI option, you'll get a dialogue. Enter the name of your card. I entered "NVidia GeForce 9600 GTS". Next, enter the ammount of RAM on the card. Mine was 512 MB. Next, choose the output your card has. My card has two DVI outs - I picked the DVI / DVI option. Keep going.

- OK, so what we've done is modified the "com.apple.Boot.plist" with the EFI strings for the time machine fix and video card. If you don't have a clue what that means, no sweat.

- Navigate back to "Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" and copy the "com.apple.Boot.plist". Remember, now this is a modified version, and we need to put that in the "Extra" folder, so just paste it in.

- Now we need to restore the original "com.apple.Boot.plist" to the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ directory. So grab your original copy on the desktop, rename it back to "come.apple.Boot.plist" and copy and paste it into the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ directory. Now, you've got the modified version of the file in the "Extra" folder and the original vanilla OSX 10.5.6 version in the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ directory.

- OK, now go to the "Extra" directory, and open the "com.apple.Boot.plist" file in textedit. You might have to copy and paste it to the desktop to edit it and then copy and paste it back when you're done.

- Add the following right above the other stuff that looks just like it:

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Save it, and then copy it back if you need to - overwrite the old file.

By the way, make sure and set your audio to "internal speaker" under "system preferences".

Reboot - don't use the GRUB-DFE disc this time. Should boot up just fine. My video card worked perfectly after this.

Go ahead and use the Software Update to update the rest of your stuff. Restarts should work normally now.

Issues:

- I get a popping on sound - any time audio starts there's a pop before it begins, then it works fine.

- I've installed iStat menus to monitor system stuff, and when I monitor temps, it gives me 103 degrees and never changes. I'm assuming OS X can't read CPU temps from the board? Not a big deal, but how does it know when to kick on fans? Maybe the fans just run...

Not tested:

- Haven't tried sleep.

- Haven't tried any of the audio outs except the 2.1 out in the back.

- I'm using a really crappy old case, so I don't have any front-USB/FireWire/Headphone connections. I've got a new case coming today, so I'll try out those options soon.

Tested:

- I've got an SATA USB hard drive and an SATA FireWire hard drive - both seem to be working fine. My FireWire drive is plugged into an old FireWire PCI card I bought years ago. No clue what the brand is, but it worked out of the box.

- Networking with my MacBook pro seems just fine - they can see each other and share files. That's the extent of what I do with networking.

- I run a PreSonus FirePod, which is a FireWire recording interface. It's plugged into the on-board FireWire input on the motherboard, and works just fine so far - haven't recorded any audio through it yet, but I can use it as a sound device, and it shows that it's working as it should.

- Windows XP Pro with VMWare Fusion

- Front-panel headphone out

- VMWare Fusion with Windows XP Pro

- Headphone output (front panel)

Will test soon:

- Final Cut Pro

- Logic Pro

Hopefully this walk-through helps. There is a ton of info in this thread, but it took me many hours to wade through all 20 pages and figure out exactly what I needed. This way if something goes haywire, I can refer back to this post and get up and running agian, and if you're running similar hardware, hopefully you can use it.

Again - credit for this goes to Auzigog, Eliade, and the many others in this thread who have been such a great resource.

Hey guys, i just wanted to let you know that I have a fully working system now. It was all thanks to this thread and a bunch of other ones.

My system specs:

epa45-ud3r motherboard

4gb g.skill 6400 ram

3 500gb sata seagate drives

one extra firewire expansion card

intel core 2 duo e7400 2.8 gighz

I just have a couple of questions. For some reason i cant set a static ip address in the system preferences. os x keeps telling me that the ip is in use by someone else. Is this because i have the realtek1000 driver in the extra folder and not in S/L/E?

Second, my about this mac information is wrong. It is reporting lower ram speed and 2.33 gighz as opposed to my real 2.8 gighz clock speed. Is this only cosmetic? Other than that, i have full audio working, chameleon 2.0 running perfectly and windows vista installed on a separate hard drive. I did this without an sata drive in the beginning and only using iatkos and an image of the retail disk. If anyone wants my howto let me know and i will make one.

OK, so here is my setup and a walkthrough of how I got this thing up and running so far...

Issues:

- I get a popping on sound - any time audio starts there's a pop before it begins, then it works fine.

- I've installed iStat menus to monitor system stuff, and when I monitor temps, it gives me 103 degrees and never changes. I'm assuming OS X can't read CPU temps from the board? Not a big deal, but how does it know when to kick on fans? Maybe the fans just run...

Not tested:

- Haven't tried sleep.

- Haven't tried any of the audio outs except the 2.1 out in the back.

- I'm using a really crappy old case, so I don't have any front-USB/FireWire/Headphone connections. I've got a new case coming today, so I'll try out those options soon.

Tested:

- I've got an SATA USB hard drive and an SATA FireWire hard drive - both seem to be working fine. My FireWire drive is plugged into an old FireWire PCI card I bought years ago. No clue what the brand is, but it worked out of the box.

- Networking with my MacBook pro seems just fine - they can see each other and share files. That's the extent of what I do with networking.

- I run a PreSonus FirePod, which is a FireWire recording interface. It's plugged into the on-board FireWire input on the motherboard, and works just fine so far - haven't recorded any audio through it yet, but I can use it as a sound device, and it shows that it's working as it should.

Will test soon:

- Final Cut Pro

- Logic Pro

- VMWare Fusion with Windows XP Pro

- Headphone output

Hopefully this walk-through helps. There is a ton of info in this thread, but it took me many hours to wade through all 20 pages and figure out exactly what I needed. This way if something goes haywire, I can refer back to this post and get up and running agian, and if you're running similar hardware, hopefully you can use it.

Again - credit for this goes to Auzigog, Eliade, and the many others in this thread who have been such a great resource.

Just WOW !

You did a wondeful job ...

I just read through it

you're missing one important thing so you should add this, anywhere after the 10.5.6 update (in case in the update changes the setting)

if you have IDE device, especially HD, you need to go in the system pref / energy pref

and disable the option "turn off Hard disk when possible" (or something similar)

otherwise you get Kernel Panic once and a while because of the JmicronATA in my pack, which on the good side allows IDE device to work perfectly....

If you have just an IDE DVD or no IDE at all I don't know if that's really needed

well you can test that by leaving this option activated and if in the following two week you get one kernel panic that will be most likely the reason it crashed, if you don't get a panic (I think you won't) within two weeks then you can consider it safe to leave the option untouched when not using IDE at all....

but add the lines for those that have IDE HD (like I do for data and Timemachine backup)

-----

as for sound I never noticed any pop, which is weird that you do (could it be specific to the 1.1 revision of the board, I have rev 1.0)

I know what those pop sounds like, I had found a kext early this thread that did that (maybe the one from auzigog did the pop).

it usually happened when I was copying or deleting files... not much I can do...

the other option is to remove the sound related kext from the pack and install the one in the first post in S/L/E, which mean that after a major updates you'll hae to reinstal the sound kext...

whereas if you just use the mkext like you do now I won't have to reinstall kext (hopefully, well at least not sound...)

maybe you could temporarly try the mkext I posted few pages ago (post #344) : Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April11_2009_digital_regularheadphones.zip (I guess you can just click this link...)... and tell me if it sound without pop works, then go back to the one you have installed now, if you don't get pops with the other onel I'll update the kext again with the digital regular headphone kext for sound...

-----

for temp istat doesn't work

but tempertature monitor works perfectly well:

[email=http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html]http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html[/email]

----

sleep should work perfectly well

front headphone should work

front mic does not

fron usb works

---

as for nour macbook, if you use AFP, after the computer runs for a long time (not sleeping at all) you may some day realizetworking with ye it doesn't work anymore, along with the included screen sharing... (a quick sleep and wake up makes it work for a while again)

if you never notice that then that's great...

if you do and don't want that anymore get one of the latest mkext without realtek in it and install realtekR1000 in S/L/E using kexthelper..

---

Again that's a nicely detailed tutorial,

it should help many people...

Thanks, Eliade!

I added the bit about turning the hard disk sleep off if you have an IDE drive. I don't have one, which is why I didn't add it earlier.

Quick question. Since we're using the Chameleon installer, does this mean we can update through Software Update without fear of bricking our systems? I read somewhere that 10.5.7 is due any day now.

Thanks, Eliade!

I added the bit about turning the hard disk sleep off if you have an IDE drive. I don't have one, which is why I didn't add it earlier.

Quick question. Since we're using the Chameleon installer, does this mean we can update through Software Update without fear of bricking our systems? I read somewhere that 10.5.7 is due any day now.

chance that the update to 10.5.7 will be without major trouble is close to 100%

and without even minor trouble at all should be 99% :)

that's true if you use my mkext

if you use sound kext in S/L/E like I was doing before I used the mkexk, you will just have to reinstall that sound kext... (that's all I had to do for the 10.5.6 update) but the system was still bootable...

if 10.5.7 doesn't boot for some reason, grub-dfe should be able to boot it... so nothing is lost anyway...

if you want to be super safe. and that's probably OVERKILL, but at least you get a operational OSX if 10.5.7 doesn;t work

is to use Carbon Copy Cloner (free, google it) and backup your drive on a second one (GUID partition with journaling) run chameleon and during the install select that backup drive, delete the extra/extensions on that backup drive, it's now bootable and fully operational.

anyway add Carbon Copy Cloner to your list of tools it may be handy someday...

But again I don't think any problem will happened... it should be a nice and smooth update

I've tried a lot of the audio kexts and I always get that stupid POP. I don't get the fact that the P35 Gigabyte board I had previously has the same sound and it was always perfect. Mine is Rev 1.1

then I suppose the rev 1.1 really seems to be problem...

could you check your system profiler and go to "Audio (Bult in)"

do you have exactly ?

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 889

I went to the Gigabyte website, specs are 100% identical

looking at the picture the board is slightly different, some resistors are removed/added, probably just moved around, heatsinks seems a little better in rev1.1

if one of you with rev 1.1 is willing to look for a sound kext that does not pop

use this new mkext which does not have sound kext in it

mkext_nosound_april17.zip

and install the sound kext you find with kextinstaller

don't forget to backup AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E in case you find one with the same filename...

when you find one let me know and we'll see if it work from the mkext...

Could anyone with a rev 1.0 confirm that you don't get the pop with my previously posted mkext ?

as for sound I never noticed any pop, which is weird that you do (could it be specific to the 1.1 revision of the board, I have rev 1.0)

I know what those pop sounds like, I had found a kext early this thread that did that (maybe the one from auzigog did the pop).

it usually happened when I was copying or deleting files... not much I can do...

the other option is to remove the sound related kext from the pack and install the one in the first post in S/L/E, which mean that after a major updates you'll hae to reinstal the sound kext...

whereas if you just use the mkext like you do now I won't have to reinstall kext (hopefully, well at least not sound...)

maybe you could temporarly try the mkext I posted few pages ago (post #344) : Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April11_2009_digital_regularheadphones.zip (I guess you can just click this link...)... and tell me if it sound without pop works, then go back to the one you have installed now, if you don't get pops with the other onel I'll update the kext again with the digital regular headphone kext for sound...

I tried this mkext. Didn't fix the sound pop. It also caused my FireWire external drive to show up with the wrong icon. Looked like a normal internal hard drive icon in the finder window, and showed up as a folder on the desktop.

I copied the other mkext back in the /extra folder and I'm back to normal. I can live with a little pop.

it looks like it was my overclock alone that kept it from booting from your mkexts. I was running 500mhz bus with an 8 multiplier. It's rock stable in Windows and fine when I loaded OSX from the Uinstaller method only, but weirdly enough it will not boot with your kexts when it's 500 * 8 !! I switched it to 10 * 400mhz and it's booting fine. Speed isn't correct in "About this Mac" but that's easy to fix.

I took the mkext Eliade posted (the one minus jmicron and minus the realtekr1000 kexts) And studied the contents. It looks like voodoopower.kext was the one keeping my machine from booting while running 8*500. I removed it and replaced it with an AppleSMBIOS.kext (version 1.1.1 dated Dec 26, 2008). Now I can boot again at my desired 500*8 CPU settings. Also my CPU now reads 4Ghz instead of 4.1GHz under "about this mac". I might be crazy but I think my Audio pop has stopped or gone away as well.

I took the mkext Eliade posted (the one minus jmicron and minus the realtekr1000 kexts) And studied the contents. It looks like voodoopower.kext was the one keeping my machine from booting while running 8*500. I removed it and replaced it with an AppleSMBIOS.kext (version 1.1.1 dated Dec 26, 2008). Now I can boot again at my desired 500*8 CPU settings. Also my CPU now reads 4Ghz instead of 4.1GHz under "about this mac". I might be crazy but I think my Audio pop has stopped or gone away as well.

voodoo power handles speed step, so that kind of makes sense,

4GHz that pretty amazing, too bad it's not a quad :-)

but voodoo power also handled the shutdown problem

so you will need to add OpenHaltRestart to the mkext...

could you post the AppleSMBIOS you're using I'll add it to the pack

interesting that don't have any pop anymore

so I'll try one with your AppleSMBIOS and without voodoo, and post it so that

brian wahl (or anyone with rev 1.1) can test it to see if he gets pops

thanks for the openhaltrestart tip. I was starting to wonder why the thing suddenly wouldn't restart... !!! Not only that it would freeze at the desktop without it as well. I would have never figured that one out...

I attached the Extensions.mkext file. It has no Realtek kext, no Jmicron kext, and no voodoopower kext. AppleSmbios and openhaltrestart kexts added.

So far I have not heard the distinctive POP that would happen just before a sound may be played! And best of all I can run at 500mhz bus speed. Not a huge deal if I was going to have to run at 400, but it's kind of the reason I bought the board in the first place. I don't think I changed any of your audio files... but it was pretty late last night when I was making it... ;) I think I have a winner now.

I'm still curious about the networking. Without the realtek kext I have been surfing the web fine, and copying huge .dmg files or ISO files to and from my Dlink Nas device without errors.

Extensions.mkext.zip

thanks for the openhaltrestart tip. I was starting to wonder why the thing suddenly wouldn't restart... !!! Not only that it would freeze at the desktop without it as well. I would have never figured that one out...

I attached the Extensions.mkext file. It has no Realtek kext, no Jmicron kext, and no voodoopower kext. AppleSmbios and openhaltrestart kexts added.

So far I have not heard the distinctive POP that would happen just before a sound may be played! And best of all I can run at 500mhz bus speed. Not a huge deal if I was going to have to run at 400, but it's kind of the reason I bought the board in the first place. I don't think I changed any of your audio files... but it was pretty late last night when I was making it... :) I think I have a winner now.

I'm still curious about the networking. Without the realtek kext I have been surfing the web fine, and copying huge .dmg files or ISO files to and from my Dlink Nas device without errors.

you do have realtek

I check it, all the networking kext are in your mkext, but not unde the name realtek

I just realized now when using mkexttool it will extract all the mkext even if they are within another kext

and the whole bunch that are in your mkext that I didn't recognise at first are just the content of the realteck kext :-)

that explain everything about your internet

so you do need the realteck mkext

but I guess we could use just one of those instead of all, whichever the board uses...

if youy look in the system profiler / extention

AppleRTL8169Ethernet is loaded so I'll extract just that one from the realtek kext

I extracted the one you posted that supposedly didn't have it. What are all those other network kexts in there? DEC, 3com, BCM570, Intel 8254, 8255? Are they part of the Realtek kext as well? Does ionetworking.kext contain several network kexts? I would like to remove any extra fluff I don't need!

I also never chose to load the realtek1000 when I did the straight Uinstaller install and had the same results. Either way, it's working great!