NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

I think you can open the applesmbios kext and you should have something similar to the smbios.plist

compare and maybe you'll find the entry that solves the sound pop...

look for anything realted to sound first of course

The Info.plist file within that applesmbios.kext contains:

<key>system-audio-volume</key>

<data>bw==</data>

Interesting stuff. If you extract the .kexts in Windows it automatically extracts the contents of them. This will keep me busy for a while reading through some of the plist files...

** EDIT:

Excellent thread on this subject:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129930

My head is spinning so I hope what I've got here is somewhat correct.

Okay, so based on what I've been able to put together I think I have a starting list for the Essential Kexts (this is somewhat based on the original April 10th Extensions.mkext file from Eliade). I've then tried to piece together the various posts and "slim downs" to try to get to a discrete list of Essentials. And of coruse is only for Chameleon 2rc1.

Absolutely essential:

dsmos.kext (this is the Don't Steal Mac OS one which should keep the DontStealMacOS.kext from appearing in your Extensions folder during updates from Apple)

Disabler.kext (I think this also helps with updates from Apple)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (needed for proper restart and shut down, and I think sleep too)

Things I think also should be essential:

RealtekR1000.kext (I thought it is impossible, maybe I'm wrong, that you can't get networking to work without it)

I should note that I am NOT using the onboard ethernet and instead using a Netgear GA311

the Sound kexts

HDSEnabler.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

All the ones for AHCI including:

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

Specialized kext that in some cases are absolutely needed:

JMicronATA.kext (this is a MUST if you have IDE drives)

EDIT: As Eliade has been so diligent in saying (sadly folks like myself who don't use IDE haven't been): "...disable the option: "put the HD to sleep when possible" in system pref / energy saver, if the option is enable (by default it is) some kernel panic may happen..."

Now the grey area:

IONetworkingFamily.kext (the difference being as Eliade mentioned somewhere in the thread there is no AppleRTL8169Ethernet (not sure why tho). As a result, I'm not sure the benefit of this one.)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (this is needed to fix SMBIOS readings, like CPU speed, etc. However, I still like doing the fixing via the SMBIOS.plist which Chameleon uses and is placed within the /Extra folder. BUT, I think this, the AppleSMBIOS.kext, may be needed anyway to fix that damn "CFGetHostUUIDString....Error 35" {censored}. Which by the way is really ticking me off. I can't seem to figure out a simple fix. For my system running Chameleon v1 I used SuperHei's SMBIOSResolver.kext and that fixed things but I don't believe it can be used with Cham2) Now more intrigue on this subject. The other concern I have about this particular AppleSMBIOS.kext is that it's Andy Vandijck's and I believe he pushes Voodoo kernels and not vanilla kernels. Don't know if this matters much but I thought I'd mention it.

Additionally I have found this helpful info on the SMBIOS.plist file and what can go in there (there may be other stuff but I haven't found anything else). This list comes from a very helpful dude on these forums named Beerkex'd.

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
 <string>Apple Inc. or Apple Computer, Inc. depending on mac model</string>
 <key>SMbiosversion</key>
 <string>boot.rom.string.goes.here</string>
 <key>SMmanufacter</key>
 <key>SMproductname</key>
 <string>mac,model goes here</string>
 <key>SMsystemversion</key>
 <string>1.0</string>
 <key>SMserial</key>
 <string>serial.goes.here.doh</string>
 <key>SMfamily</key>
 <string>for Mac Pros put 'macpro', for iMacs just put 'mac'</string>
 <key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
 <key>SMboardproduct</key>
 <string>Apple.motherboard.model.goes.here</string>
 <key>SMexternalclock</key>
 <string>Your CPU FSB in MHz, non-multiplied</string>
 <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
 <string>Your CPU max speed in MHz</string>
 <key>SMmemtype</key>
 <string>put 19 for DDR2 RAM, 18 for DDR RAM</string>
 <key>SMmemspeed</key>
 <string>Memory speed in MHz</string>
 <key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
 <string>For example Kingston Technology</string>
 <key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
 <string>Or OCZ or whatever you have</string>
 <string>SMmempart_1</string>
 <key>manufacturer part number</key>
 <string>SMmempart_3</string>
 <key>as listed in datasheet or find it with CPU-Z under Windows</key>
 <string>SMmemserial_1</string>
 <key>Again use CPU-Z...</key>
 <string>SMmemserial_3</string>
 <key>...under Windows to find your serial numbers</key>

I'd appreciate any corrections/additions that folks feel should be added to the "Essentials" list so that people with slightly differing hardware know the minimum they need. Sort of the bare-bones list of kext that may not get their system running perfectly (due to additional kext for their hardware-specific needs), but are kext that all systems (with our mobo of course) MUST have no matter what.

AHCIPortInjector.kext

Specialized kext that in some cases are absolutely needed:

JMicronATA.kext (this is a MUST if you have IDE drives)

Now the grey area:

IONetworkingFamily.kext (the difference being as Eliade mentioned somewhere in the thread there is no AppleRTL8169Ethernet (not sure why tho). As a result, I'm not sure the benefit of this one.)

cool

so you can simply remove

AHCIPortInjector.kext

you need to add if using JMicronATA

disable the option: "put the HD to sleep when possible" in system pref / energy saver, if the option is enable (by default it is) some kernel panic may happen...

IONetworkingFamily is supposed to fix the uuid error 35... (no matter what ethernet interface you use, intagrated or pci card), the one on my mkext pack is a modification of the original kext from 10.5.6...

but I'm sure we could do other more efficient modification, but that option should do it for the moment from the extra folder.

The fix linked by chris2k seems like a nice way to do it, but I really want to leave the system itself untouched, and do whatever modification from the extra folder only...

AppleUSBEHCI.kext is a very nice kext to have, especially if you sleep the system with usb storage devices attached

so that your device doesn't get disconnected abruptly and reconnected right after waking up the system, along with a nice device removal warning...

the side effects of this kext for the moment is a usb speed slowdown after waking up (on my machine from fresh boot it's at 35MB/s but after sleep it's at 12.5MB/s after sleep), physically disconnecting the device and reconnecting it, will speed it up but not as high as after a fresh boot(about 28MB/s)

Hi All,

Does anyone know if this will work for all versions of the UD3 board as I have just ordered the GA-EP45-UD3L?

Cheers

do you know the differences between the two? look it up...

but I'm sure they are similar enough that it should work on your board too ...

you need to add if using JMicronATA

disable the option: "put the HD to sleep when possible" in system pref / energy saver, if the option is enable (by default it is) some kernel panic may happen...

I'm so sorry about not including that. You've been so great making sure folks who use IDE do it correctly to make sure it works right. I've edited my post accordingly.

IONetworkingFamily is supposed to fix the uuid error 35... (no matter what ethernet interface you use, intagrated or pci card), the one on my mkext pack is a modification of the original kext from 10.5.6...

but I'm sure we could do other more efficient modification, but that option should do it for the moment from the extra folder.

The fix linked by chris2k seems like a nice way to do it, but I really want to leave the system itself untouched, and do whatever modification from the extra folder only...

Okay, got it. And yes, I've seen and originally tried the chris2k fix with my system running Cham v1 but found SMBIOSResolver more effective. But now I know why my new Cham 2 may be showing the UUID errors because I didn't including the IONetworkingFamily. Let me give that a shot tonight and then I'll fix everything on the post.

AppleUSBEHCI.kext is a very nice kext to have, especially if you sleep the system with usb storage devices attached

so that your device doesn't get disconnected abruptly and reconnected right after waking up the system, along with a nice device removal warning...

the side effects of this kext for the moment is a usb speed slowdown after waking up (on my machine from fresh boot it's at 35MB/s but after sleep it's at 12.5MB/s after sleep), physically disconnecting the device and reconnecting it, will speed it up but not as high as after a fresh boot(about 28MB/s)

do you know the differences between the two? look it up...

but I'm sure they are similar enough that it should work on your board too ...

I'll look into this and see what I can find out. But because USB externals are so common this may be something we should list as "essential" or at the very least put it into a "nearly essential" category.

On my second system I have multiple USB harddrives connected but never put the system to sleep because it's my AppleTV server and ATV gets all wonky if the iTunes computer it's connected to sleeps.

Hi,

Main diff between UD3L & UD3R:

it only has 6 SATA connections vs 8

has no eSata capabilities

Has no RAID functionality

it has no IEEE 1394 connections

Other than that everything else is the same. Will lack of RAID cause any problems?

Thanks

Hi,

Main diff between UD3L & UD3R:

it only has 6 SATA connections vs 8

has no eSata capabilities

Has no RAID functionality

it has no IEEE 1394 connections

Other than that everything else is the same. Will lack of RAID cause any problems?

Thanks

ok so it's just a downgraded version

then everything should work perfectly well, I mean at least as good as we have it running, which is really good (good enough for me to be my main machine)

whatever is done to a ud3r should work on your UD3L

lack of raid won't change anything...

Okay, got it. And yes, I've seen and originally tried the chris2k fix with my system running Cham v1 but found SMBIOSResolver more effective. But now I know why my new Cham 2 may be showing the UUID errors because I didn't including the IONetworkingFamily. Let me give that a shot tonight and then I'll fix everything on the post.

The IONetworkingFamily.kext didn't fix the UUID errors. Now I get a new one plus the assortment of UUID errors:

loaded version 1.6.1 of module com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily differs from requested version 1.6.1 (UUIDs differ)

Sooooo irritating. On the positive side, so far none of the UUID errors has done anything to impact the system for what I want to use it for. However, I do want (and will) get it fixed. I've posted a couple of questions here and on the Chameleon forum with hopes someone has the same problem I'm having.

The IONetworkingFamily.kext didn't fix the UUID errors. Now I get a new one plus the assortment of UUID errors:

loaded version 1.6.1 of module com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily differs from requested version 1.6.1 (UUIDs differ)

Sooooo irritating. On the positive side, so far none of the UUID errors has done anything to impact the system for what I want to use it for. However, I do want (and will) get it fixed. I've posted a couple of questions here and on the Chameleon forum with hopes someone has the same problem I'm having.

Do you have firewire enabled? Where do you see these errors?

you'll see those in the Console -> LOG DATABASE QUERIES / Console Message

if you do a search just by typing "uuid" you may see some of the uuid error 35

since yesterday on my system I've seen only 5 of them all winthin a 2h time frame... I really don't know what triggered those

By the way I now have the sound pop, but only during startup, I guess when the sound driver gets loaded, never afterward, so it's not bothering me that much...

interesting. I don't have any. But I'm also not using any kexts with the onboard network...

I ask about the firewire as I was reading Macman's post on the Chameleon forum and someone mentioned something about firewire

interesting. I don't have any. But I'm also not using any kexts with the onboard network...

I ask about the firewire as I was reading Macman's post on the Chameleon forum and someone mentioned something about firewire

the firewire is enabled but I don't use it

Yes, firewire is enabled but I 've also disabled it in BIOS and the errors appear. I've gone through a number of steps including removing firewire networking from the networking system preferences, and again the errors appear.

I want to reiterate that these errors don't appear (and I've heard that they don't in more than appearance) have any real impact on the system performance. And the only time I see them is at boot (as Eliade explains just looking at the Console (one of Hackintosh's best friends :D ). Although innocuous, they are damn annoying.

Since I was able to remove these errors with the system running Chameleon v1, I'm 100% positive I can get it resolved. And on the positive side, I sure am learning a lot about the guts of the OS. :blink:

One other side comment about the alternative kext that we place in Chameleon's /Extra folder.

I just noticed this message:

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" with older/same version (3.2.5 -> 3.2.5)

I've actually got a second one too. Perhaps Eliade you know the answer to this. Does this mean the one in the /Extra folder is being loaded and the one in the /s/l/e is not? Or do I have a problem here because the Chameleon one is not being loaded. So should I be removing the com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI from the /s/l/e folder?

Yes, firewire is enabled but I 've also disabled it in BIOS and the errors appear. I've gone through a number of steps including removing firewire networking from the networking system preferences, and again the errors appear.

I want to reiterate that these errors don't appear (and I've heard that they don't in more than appearance) have any real impact on the system performance. And the only time I see them is at boot (as Eliade explains just looking at the Console (one of Hackintosh's best friends :D ). Although innocuous, they are damn annoying.

Since I was able to remove these errors with the system running Chameleon v1, I'm 100% positive I can get it resolved. And on the positive side, I sure am learning a lot about the guts of the OS. :blink:

One other side comment about the alternative kext that we place in Chameleon's /Extra folder.

I just noticed this message:

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" with older/same version (3.2.5 -> 3.2.5)

I've actually got a second one too. Perhaps Eliade you know the answer to this. Does this mean the one in the /Extra folder is being loaded and the one in the /s/l/e is not? Or do I have a problem here because the Chameleon one is not being loaded. So should I be removing the com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI from the /s/l/e folder?

I don't have this info/warning/error in the console...

even though AppleUSBEHCI is installed in the extra folder... and this kext does too much good, even if I have warnings i'd keep it, I have a usb hd always connected

keep both of them

ok so it's just a downgraded version

then everything should work perfectly well, I mean at least as good as we have it running, which is really good (good enough for me to be my main machine)

whatever is done to a ud3r should work on your UD3L

lack of raid won't change anything...

Also the UD3L does not handle DDR3 memory, the UD3R does

I have the UD3R and had it working great until I tried fixing my system profiler info with AppleSMBIOS. The system profiler shows info on my Hardware now. I then tried to install a new IDE drive with JMicronATA kext, now my Firewire won't work.

System profiler does show ATA (didn't before) but no devices. Firewire gives me this Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.

I also have tons of UUID Error 35 in console. I haven't tried the IONetworkingFamily due to fear of my network going out as well! .... I'm using the Linksys with native airport.

Should I go ahead and try the IONetworkingfamily? I can't remember the order that I installed which kext, I was just trying everything. And nope, no backup, that was the reason for the IDE install!!

EDIT* I removed JMicronATA.kext and now I have my external Firewire drives working. What's the best way to get IDE capabilities with this board?? Also, IONetworkingFamily does NOT resolve my UUID Error 35.

I have the UD3R and had it working great until I tried fixing my system profiler info with AppleSMBIOS. The system profiler shows info on my Hardware now. I then tried to install a new IDE drive with JMicronATA kext, now my Firewire won't work.

System profiler does show ATA (didn't before) but no devices. Firewire gives me this Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.

I also have tons of UUID Error 35 in console. I haven't tried the IONetworkingFamily due to fear of my network going out as well! .... I'm using the Linksys with native airport.

Should I go ahead and try the IONetworkingfamily? I can't remember the order that I installed which kext, I was just trying everything. And nope, no backup, that was the reason for the IDE install!!

EDIT* I removed JMicronATA.kext and now I have my external Firewire drives working. What's the best way to get IDE capabilities with this board?? Also, IONetworkingFamily does NOT resolve my UUID Error 35.

the best (and only) way for IDE is the jmicronATA in this thread because most other JmicronATA will panic your system because it's somehow related with RAM, unless you have less than 3GB installed you can try this one:

(if you have more than 3GB remove some stick of ram just to test it... and see if firewire works)

DO NOT USE THIS JmicronATA: it will panic your system very often if you have more than 3GB of RAM INSTALLED

JMicronATA.kext.zip

if you have more than 3GB don't forget to get ride of it so you don't use it by mistake later...

(if you use any JmicronATA don't forget to turn the "sleep HD when possible" option off in energy saver)

I didn't know it had the side effect of messing up the Firewire, that's not good at all...

unfortunately that's all we have now for IDE so you'll have to choose between IDE or Firewire

sure try the IONetworkingfamily, but if you still get uuid error 35 then remove it

(it may work only if installed in S/L/E, which I'm trying to avoid modifying)

if you deside to install it in S/L/E don't forget to backup the original

Eliade--

I've got a mostly-working system now, with a problem restarting. I used your last kext pack from a week or so back, with the network file separate. I first installed to an external, GUID-formatted USB drive, then used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the image to an internal SATA drive, MBR partitioned.

I'd installed Chameleon 2 RC1 on the external drive and all seemed good before the transfer. I then went through a special procedure to install Chameleon 2 on the MBR drive (props to Vinay Prashar on insanelymac for the info). His instructions:

1. Extract the Chameleon archive and open a Terminal window there.  

**  (This step wasn't clear on first readthrough--I eventually used Pacifist to  extract and save the .dmg contents.  -Ed.) **

2. Use sudo -s to assume  root privileges.

3. Install boot0 to the MBR:

fdisk -f boot0 -u  -y /dev/rdisk0

4. Install boot1h to the bootsector of your OS X  partition:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

5. Copy the 'boot'  file to your root partition:

cp boot /

6. Make sure your OS X  partition is flagged as active.

7. Copy Themes and smbios.plist to your  Extra folder:

cp -R smbios.plist Themes /Extra

7. Finally add  any kexts you wish to /Extra/Extensions like you usually would.

I didn't see an smbios.plist file in the extracted Chameleon .dmg file. Is that included in your packages?

I also noticed that, after installing Chameleon, another Extensions folder gets installed in /Extra. (Currently I have your extensions.mkext in there along with this directory.) Should that directory be deleted?

the smbios.plist is optional. It wasn't included in anything. Someone posted an example of one earlier. Some of us that use applemsmbios.kext realized you don't need the smbios.plist.

You need to delete the contents of or the entire "extentions" folder within the Extra folder if you are using an .mkext.

Also after using Carbon Copy in the past, I found that I needed to repair permissions on the drive before use.