NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

OOPS I missed one kext reposting:

PACK_for_10.5.7.zip

you need LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage to fix the yellow icon

that's the one I forgot to add to the pack, sorry

now the pack is complete, the way I have on my setup

(I don't use voodoo, but I do use jmicronata for IDE)

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext is what I meant to ask.. lol. I have way too many folders and backups. I have to do some cleaning up.

I had kernel panics with the old smbios.plist(derived from Chameleon). I have this new version which seem to be working. I think it has only a cosmetic value, but hey it is nice to have it!! Attaching the file, if anyone wants to give it a try. Modify the file to match your config.

EDIT: Removed the bad smbios.plist file. thanks gmacman

Ok so i did what you said.

Removed all the colorful ones from s/l/e and installed the ones you gave me.

Went to my disk and went to extra/extensions dragged all the basics and also the sound into the extensions folder.

rebooted the system and i sitll dont have sound ;)

Ok so i did what you said.

Removed all the colorful ones from s/l/e and installed the ones you gave me.

Went to my disk and went to extra/extensions dragged all the basics and also the sound into the extensions folder.

rebooted the system and i sitll dont have sound ;)

how about the <key>-f</key><string></string> in the com.apple.boot.plist located in the extra folder

does the volume icon next to the clock shows up?

if so just go to the sound preference and set the output to whatever you are using

how about the <key>-f</key><string></string> in the com.apple.boot.plist located in the extra folder

does the volume icon next to the clock shows up?

if so just go to the sound preference and set the output to whatever you are using

i added that string.

volume icon doesnt show up.

also no ouput device or input device

in your pack for 10.5.7 everything goes to the extra/extensions folder correct ?

and the s/l/e will not have hdaenabler or what?

i got it working.

all i was missing was the applehda.kext

THANKS ELIADE:)

When i go to about this mac.

it shows 2.67 unknown

how can i fix that

i added that string.

volume icon doesnt show up.

also no ouput device or input device

in your pack for 10.5.7 everything goes to the extra/extensions folder correct ?

and the s/l/e will not have hdaenabler or what?

i got it working.

all i was missing was the applehda.kext

THANKS ELIADE:)

When i go to about this mac.

it shows 2.67 unknown

how can i fix that

yes from my pack everything goes into extra/extensions...

you mean you were missing the original applehda.kext in s/l/e right?

for the unknown cpu:

Go to System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj

You will find a file "AppleSystemInfo.string"

copy it to your desktop (due to permission issues)

open it using Textedit and find "UnknownCPUKind" = "Unknown";

change the Unknown to whatever you want: for example:

Intel® Core™2 Quad

copy it back to the folder

yes from my pack everything goes into extra/extensions...

for the unknown cpu:

Go to System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj

You will find a file "AppleSystemInfo.string"

copy it to your desktop (due to permission issues)

open it using Textedit and find "UnknownCPUKind" = "Unknown";

change the Unknown to whatever you want: for example:

Intel® Core™2 Quad

copy it back to the folder

yes i was cause i was reading ppl were having KP so i removed before updating.

Thanks for all the help :)

After applying the 10.5.7 update, my xbench score has gone down from 19X to 17X.

It seems that the reason is because harddrive performance has suddenly taken a big dive. :)

I tried applying the orange drive icon fix in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...08479&st=0 

xbench recovers slightly to 18X. Harddrive icons are fixed but disk performance is still bad. 

iTunes 8.1.1 + QuickTime 7.6 do not play well together. Lots of mouse stuttering when iTunes is open. Had to use Pacifist to downgrade QT to 7.5 to fix this. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t154444.html

FYI for anybody on the same hardware who runs into this issue.

May have to go back to 10.5.6

:(

After applying the 10.5.7 update, my xbench score has gone down from 19X to 17X.

It seems that the reason is because harddrive performance has suddenly taken a big dive. :)

I tried applying the orange drive icon fix in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...08479&st=0

xbench recovers slightly to 18X. Harddrive icons are fixed but disk performance is still bad.

iTunes 8.1.1 + QuickTime 7.6 do not play well together. Lots of mouse stuttering when iTunes is open. Had to use Pacifist to downgrade QT to 7.5 to fix this.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t154444.html

FYI for anybody on the same hardware who runs into this issue.

May have to go back to 10.5.6

:(

something fishy here

I have two hackintosh

Shuttle K45, 10.5.6 (my "slow" machine technically should be about half the score of the ud3r at least in some area)

and Ud3r running 10.5.7 (my fast machine)

in my Shuttle K45

the WD 2.5" sata HD has better read write is about 20MB faster (about 50MB/s)

than my UD3R using a 3.5" 7500rpm sata... (about 30Mb/s)

but then....

the aja system test tells me that I do get 53MB/s on the UD3R

something still strange, but maybe xbentch isn't that good at bentchmarking HD...

I suppose the score are linear (so if I get score 100 on a machine, the machine getting 200 would be considered about twice as fast...)

because that doesn't seems to be the case

my opengl graphic test scored 209 on a freaking 8800GTS

where on the sguttle using a low GMA950 I received 261...

weird

I can definitely tell you the 8800gts is not slow... especially compared to a gma950

-----

Then again about CPU test the shuttle has a dual core E6600 @ stock 2.4GHz

On the ud3r I have a q6600 so basically the same cpu twice... so the score should be close to twice

but I overclocked it to 3.2Ghz so it should definitly be more than twice....

well it's not even close

scored 142 on the E6600@2.4

scored 201 on the quad Q6600@ 3.2

overall score of the two system is 177 on the ud3r

and 150 on the shuttle K45

My point is xbentch seems totaly unraliable in some area...

at least cpu and graphic don't make sense

memory test seems alright

if you are interested here are my score output:

ud3r, 8gb ram 800MHz, 3.5" 7x00rpm sata HD, 8800GTS 320MB, Q6600@3.2Ghz

post-309790-1242356419_thumb.png

shuttle k45,3GB ram 667Mhz, 2.5" 5x00rpm sata HD, intel gma950, E6600@2.4Ghz

post-309790-1242356442_thumb.png

I don't think xbench is too reliable either.

Does anybody know of another benchmarking suite for OS X Leopard? Looks like xbench hasn't been updated since 2006..... 

(edit) I've dled geekbench 2.1.2 , I'll give that a go.

I don't think xbench is too reliable either.

Does anybody know of another benchmarking suite for OS X Leopard? Looks like xbench hasn't been updated since 2006.....

(edit) I've dled geekbench 2.1.2 , I'll give that a go.

I just found this:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

trial though, but still works

using the regular app (you'll understand what I mean)

I received 6600 total on the ud3r

and 3148 for the shuttle k45

that makes a lot more sense

may be a little off because I have heavy duty programs running on the ud3r right now (Photoshop, Maya, itunes, firefox with 15 windows, etc...)

and a webserver in vmware on the shuttle...

I know that it is a stupid request, but please, can someone post a short "how-to" install PACK_for_10.5.7 file?

Thank you! :)

first you need chameleon 2

download the pack for 10.5.7

inzip it

drag the content of the folder Basic into extra/extensions located at the root of your HD

then go to the "shutdown fix" folder and either choose the content of one of the two subfolder folder (with or without speedstep) drag to extra/extentions

then in the optional folder drag the content of whatever you need into extra/extention

add the following to your com.apple.boot.plist located in the Extra/ folder

<key>-f</key><string></string>

enjoy

I just found this:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

trial though, but still works

using the regular app (you'll understand what I mean)

may be a little off because I have heavy duty programs running on the ud3r right now (Photoshop, Maya, itunes, firefox with 15 windows, etc...)

Try this one http://www.demonoid.cc/files/details/1851658/4099552/

it's 64bit

7780 is my score today

And again I've not problems at all with 10.5.7 and XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2 this Distro.

smile.gif

7780 is my score today

And again I've not problems at all with 10.5.7 and XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2 this Distro.

smile.gif

that's good about the XxX_x86 Disk !

after a fresh reboot I scored 7500 when running at 3.2Ghz

and now up to 8400 when running at 3.6Ghz... I just wish I had a much better cooler so that I can stay at that speed, because it seems very stable... I think water cooling would be the best solution...

anyone wants to make a donation to me for all the "hard work" I did in this thread... so that I can get a nice cooling setup in order to run at 3.6Ghz... :)

I observe a strange problem after updating from 10.5.6 retail to 10.5.7:

The idle power consumption (wall plug) rose from about 75W to 90W!

(Yes I checked the machine is really idle)

Can anyone confirm this?

I have in my log:

May 14 23:43:07 localhost kernel[0]: AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(iMac8,1)

May 14 23:43:07 localhost kernel[0]: AppleTyMCEDriver::probe fails

May 14 23:43:11 u2c kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

May 14 23:43:11 u2c kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::getCPU_PSSData - _PSS evaluation failed

the third line was in 10.5.6 I think the rest is new. Is this common with 10.5.7 or did I mess up something?

Any hints appreciated!

Ah that should be about right. I got 4215 for my UD3R 3 GHz E8400. :) Nice that geekbench in System Information reports processor & bus frequency etc correctly, including the fact that the model is a Hackintosh! :)

I observe a strange problem after updating from 10.5.6 retail to 10.5.7:

The idle power consumption (wall plug) rose from about 75W to 90W!

(Yes I checked the machine is really idle)

Can anyone confirm this?

I have in my log:

May 14 23:43:07 localhost kernel[0]: AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(iMac8,1)

May 14 23:43:07 localhost kernel[0]: AppleTyMCEDriver::probe fails

May 14 23:43:11 u2c kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

May 14 23:43:11 u2c kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::getCPU_PSSData - _PSS evaluation failed

the third line was in 10.5.6 I think the rest is new. Is this common with 10.5.7 or did I mess up something?

Any hints appreciated!

This is probably correct. Again 10.5.7 did massive changes to multiple areas within OSX and related apps. If you are interested in what exactly the updates touch (meaning change), you can view the bom file that the system updates makes.

To do this located the file within the /Library/Receipts/boms (the one for 10.5.7 is called "com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.7.bom"). Just copy and paste this file to your desktop.

Then open Terminal and change the directory to Desktop.

cd Desktop

Then enter the following (of course changing the "file.you.want.to.read.bom" with "com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.7.bom" which will read the bom file

lsbom file.you.want.to.read.bom -pf

It'll shoot out tons of info that show everything, and I mean everything that the update changed.

I had kernel panics with the old smbios.plist(derived from Chameleon). I have this new version which seem to be working. I think it has only a cosmetic value, but hey it is nice to have it!! Attaching the file, if anyone wants to give it a try. Modify the file to match your config.

xgenius-

The SMbiosversion you are using is for an iMac (IM71.88Z.007A.B01.0707251237) but SMproductname is for a Mac Pro (MacPro3,1). I think those need to be for the same type of machine. Also the SMexternalclock seems really high (1333) that would mean a FSB of 5332, is that right? Remember the SMexternalclock should be the FSB on your CPU divided by 4 (so 800Mhz would be written as 200) and the SMmaximalclock is the clock speed of your CPU (i.e., a 3.0Ghz would be written as 3000).

Ah that should be about right. I got 4215 for my UD3R 3 GHz E8400. :) Nice that geekbench in System Information reports processor & bus frequency etc correctly, including the fact that the model is a Hackintosh! :)

I got 8191 score right now at 3.42 GHz Q6600

Not bad but I need to have a new cooler . Idle temps are 45º

Stressed 60º

I love this Mobo so much. I'm at F9 at bios.

It Rocks!

biggrin.gif

Redid xbench on both the 1TB ST31000528AS 32mb cache and the 500GB ST3500320AS 16mb cache drives each with their own install of 10.5.7. Both get 257 minus the disk test. With the disk test, 1TB gives me 185, 500GB testbed is 205. So there you have it. A strange result which I don't know whether to trust or not. Oh well.  

I got 8191 score right now at 3.42 GHz Q6600

Not bad but I need to have a new cooler . Idle temps are 45º

Stressed 60º

I love this Mobo so much. I'm at F9 at bios.

It Rocks!

biggrin.gif

Yep, UD3R ROX, seriously. It's just an absolutely outstanding quality board. -_- 

I had considered getting E8200 quadcore, Q6600 not being available anymore, but I felt that would run too hot, dual core would be fine for my needs for now, and that I should hold off on a quadcore CPU until my next hackintosh with Snow Leopard & Core i7 4 cores, which by then would have gone down in price a lot :P

xgenius-

The SMbiosversion you are using is for an iMac (IM71.88Z.007A.B01.0707251237) but SMproductname is for a Mac Pro (MacPro3,1). I think those need to be for the same type of machine. Also the SMexternalclock seems really high (1333) that would mean a FSB of 5332, is that right? Remember the SMexternalclock should be the FSB on your CPU divided by 4 (so 800Mhz would be written as 200) and the SMmaximalclock is the clock speed of your CPU (i.e., a 3.0Ghz would be written as 3000).

I don't know what I was smoking last night :rolleyes: I have to fix that stuff later tonight !

I don't know what I was smoking last night :) I have to fix that stuff later tonight !

Just make sure you share it, this audio problem is making want something stronger than Corona. :D

It'll shoot out tons of info that show everything, and I mean everything that the update changed.

OK, thanks. ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin was changed by the 10.5.7 update as is confirmed by the BOM.

I probably missed your point. How does this help me. I compared the 10.5.6 ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin and the error line is not contained in the old binary. I did not find the source code at Apple.

I think ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin tries to read the _PSS table which fails. Afterwards power management is broken. But why?

what audio problem... the pop?

Actually, I guess it's not really a problem. But what I meant was getting us back to having something where we don't have any changes in the s/l/e.

I've been working in my secret laboratory :( on a solution that gets us there. I'm working with the VoodooHDA and have had some minor success. I do have sound and I have nothing changed in the s/l/e folder.

But (and this is a big but) it shows up as "Unknown" in the system preferences under output (instead of say "internal speakers" etc.). And I can't test if it works with 5.1 since I don't have that kind of setup.

I'm going to continue to work on it and then post some more info when I know it really works.