NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Actually, I guess it's not really a problem. But what I meant was getting us back to having something where we don't have any changes in the s/l/e.

I've been working in my secret laboratory :( on a solution that gets us there. I'm working with the VoodooHDA and have had some minor success. I do have sound and I have nothing changed in the s/l/e folder.

But (and this is a big but) it shows up as "Unknown" in the system preferences under output (instead of say "internal speakers" etc.). And I can't test if it works with 5.1 since I don't have that kind of setup.

I'm going to continue to work on it and then post some more info when I know it really works.

but we are there already, thanks to xgenius, did you miss the post ?

(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1155661)

as of right now I have everything in the extra/extensions, s/l/e remains untouched

use the new hdaenabler from my latest pack (check my sig)

as for the system preference it is the same as in 10.5.6

post-309790-1242416862_thumb.png

I'm not telling you to stop playing around in your top secret Lab, because you may step into a better way to do things...

OK, thanks. ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin was changed by the 10.5.7 update as is confirmed by the BOM.

I probably missed your point. How does this help me. I compared the 10.5.6 ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin and the error line is not contained in the old binary. I did not find the source code at Apple.

I think ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin tries to read the _PSS table which fails. Afterwards power management is broken. But why?

My only point was that it shows what was impacted by the update. As far as "why" that is way beyond my knowledge and I suspect most folks. The power management changes are done by Apple to handle Macintosh computers and future products and I suspect the changes are either fixes for their products or for future products.

as of right now I have everything in the extra/extensions, s/l/e remains untouched

I'm not telling you to stop playing around in your top secret Lab, because you may step into a better way to do things...

I did miss that one. Will revert to it, thanks.

Geekbench!!! Been using this one myself almost since day one of my hackintosh experience. My UD3R is getting 7100+ but I'm running a Xeon 3370 Quad processor @ 3 ghz with dual 300gb 15k SCSI drives RAIDed together at hardware level for incredible transfer speeds.

I guess xeon are not worth the price compared to core 2 ... :P

with "cheaper" Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz I have 7700

I guess xeon are not worth the price compared to core 2 ... :P

with "cheaper" Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz I have 7700

Maybe not, but money was not the issue when I built this thing. None of my machines are overclocked. No telling what I would get if I did.

Maybe not, but money was not the issue when I built this thing. None of my machines are overclocked. No telling what I would get if I did.

I'm teasing you, I know they are sturdier in built, made to last long... and usually have more L2 cache than the equivalent desktop chip

Thanks for the fix for audio (GA-EP45-UD3P) worked for me - except sleep has been non-existent (well timed sleep, selecting sleep still works) since the 10.5.7 upgrade, don't know if it is audio related or not. I am not seeing the messages in the console like before when i was getting 2 messages a second around audio...

Problem with Time Machine and 10.5.7.

I have a great 10.5.6 installation.

On a scratch disk, installed stock Leopard, then combo update to 10.5.7. Then Chameleon 2.

Fairly sanitary install with kexts from PACK for 10.5.7:

AllpeSMBIOS

AppleUSBEHCI

Disabler

dsmos

HDAEnabler

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

OpenHaltRestart

RealtekR1000

UUID

All seems to work perfectly EXCEPT when configuring Time Machine:

Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found.

Tried swapping RealtekR1000 from 10.5.6, tried adding IONetworkingFamily - no go, Tried deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist & rebooting - no go.

Anyone with similar problems? Any suggestions? This is a show-stopper for me, so I can't upgrade until I resolve this.

Thanks in advance.

keep your secret lab running. I don't get any front headphone jack output with that current kext in Eliade's pack. I do get it if I use the original Skx audio kexts, but those of course go in /s/l/e...

The VoodooHDA is really pretty far from being useful for our board. Of course it's being worked on by the same people that gave us Chameleon so I'm sure it will eventually be good. I was giving it a try because I thought our only solution was modifying the s/l/e.

The main problems with Voodoo thing is that even what works doesn't work very well. For example I just found out the output wasn't actually stereo by mono. :wacko:

Thanks for the fix for audio (GA-EP45-UD3P) worked for me - except sleep has been non-existent (well timed sleep, selecting sleep still works) since the 10.5.7 upgrade, don't know if it is audio related or not. I am not seeing the messages in the console like before when i was getting 2 messages a second around audio...

I'm pretty sure the sleep is caused by the changes to the power management system and not audio. Hopefully this will get sorted out. I actually don't sleep because I use a bluetooth dongle for my mouse and keyboard and I can't wake from sleep with either. :)

Problem with Time Machine and 10.5.7.

I have a great 10.5.6 installation.

On a scratch disk, installed stock Leopard, then combo update to 10.5.7. Then Chameleon 2.

Fairly sanitary install with kexts from PACK for 10.5.7:

AllpeSMBIOS

AppleUSBEHCI

Disabler

dsmos

HDAEnabler

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

OpenHaltRestart

RealtekR1000

UUID

All seems to work perfectly EXCEPT when configuring Time Machine:

Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found.

Tried swapping RealtekR1000 from 10.5.6, tried adding IONetworkingFamily - no go, Tried deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist & rebooting - no go.

Anyone with similar problems? Any suggestions? This is a show-stopper for me, so I can't upgrade until I resolve this.

Thanks in advance.

Did you use UInstaller and select "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)" ?

After applying the 10.5.7 update, my xbench score has gone down from 19X to 17X.

It seems that the reason is because harddrive performance has suddenly taken a big dive. :)

I tried applying the orange drive icon fix in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...08479&st=0 

xbench recovers slightly to 18X. Harddrive icons are fixed but disk performance is still bad. 

iTunes 8.1.1 + QuickTime 7.6 do not play well together. Lots of mouse stuttering when iTunes is open. Had to use Pacifist to downgrade QT to 7.5 to fix this. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t154444.html

FYI for anybody on the same hardware who runs into this issue.

May have to go back to 10.5.6

:wacko:

I have the UD3R rev 1.1 and my xbench is working exactly as before with 10.5.7. Not sure how many times you have run it but Xbench is a great benchmark, you just have to run it several times and learn the high end and average scores it gets. It will often vary by 15 or more points. After reading your thread I ran it 3 times. First time, got a 235. Second time got a 222. Third time, got a 243 which was about the same kind of results I got before 10.5.7.

I've run xbench and submitted many scores on different macs for years and it's always been this way.

On geekbench I got a 5633

Yep, same here UD3P and auto sleep is definitely borked. Is this the case for all EP45 boards?

Was looking at the Console messages during boot comparing my 10.5.6 machine versus the 10.5.7 and caught this one from the newer one:

localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" with newer version (3.2.5 -> 3.4.3).

Anyone else (using the new 10.5.7 pack) get this at boot? If so, obviously the one we have in the pack (and thus in our /Extra/Extensions folder) is being replaced by the vanilla one. If I remember correctly I believe we were using this one to fix some issues with USB hard drives and sleep issues (????). If the vanilla one is okay great, but if not we may need to update the modified one with a newer version (I believe this can be done by modifying some of the entries in the info.plist of the kext).

Was looking at the Console messages during boot comparing my 10.5.6 machine versus the 10.5.7 and caught this one from the newer one:

localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" with newer version (3.2.5 -> 3.4.3).

Anyone else (using the new 10.5.7 pack) get this at boot? If so, obviously the one we have in the pack (and thus in our /Extra/Extensions folder) is being replaced by the vanilla one. If I remember correctly I believe we were using this one to fix some issues with USB hard drives and sleep issues (????). If the vanilla one is okay great, but if not we may need to update the modified one with a newer version (I believe this can be done by modifying some of the entries in the info.plist of the kext).

you're right sleep is working again :thumbsup_anim:

I upped the version to 3.4.4

Pack_for_10.5.7___May16.zip

you're right sleep is working again :thumbsup_anim:

I upped the version to 3.4.4

Pack_for_10.5.7___May16.zip

Cool, thanks.

With all this talk about the xBench and Geekbench numbers I'm leaning towards overclocking my main machine which has the quad core Q6600 (currently at stock 2.4Ghz).

I know our board's BIOS has that easy to use overclocking gui, but how did you proceed with that? I mean, did you first go up to 2.5Ghz and see how it runs and then go higher? And also what exactly did you change in that screen? They have settings for "CPU Clock Ratio" and "Fine CPU Clock Ratio", etc.

Cool, thanks.

With all this talk about the xBench and Geekbench numbers I'm leaning towards overclocking my main machine which has the quad core Q6600 (currently at stock 2.4Ghz).

I know our board's BIOS has that easy to use overclocking gui, but how did you proceed with that? I mean, did you first go up to 2.5Ghz and see how it runs and then go higher? And also what exactly did you change in that screen? They have settings for "CPU Clock Ratio" and "Fine CPU Clock Ratio", etc.

with the Q6600 (G0 stepping, 9x Watt cpu) (if you have windows installed, not vmware, use cpuZ to be sure you have G0 )

the speed I consider the best for my machine is 3.2Ghz if I go higher I have to increase the vcore for stability, but then the temperature starts to gets too close to the intel "safe" for Q6600 G0 stepping, which is 71°C for Core temp (for previous stepping 1xx Watt cpu the max safe temp is lower)

max safe vcore is 1.5 according to intel (but my air cooler doesn't keep the temperature lower)

CPU temp (not core) the max safe temp is 60°C

If you have installed a speaker for the motherboard you can set an alarm in the bios for when the cpu temp gets to 60°C (which in my case rang when the core temp was at about 72°C but I was testing 3.4Ghz then)

so I guess CPU temp will usually be 10°C cooler thann core temp

use a temperture monitor to check the temperature

to run at full load download mprime (it prime 95 but for mac os), it's a terminal utility...

first time you run it ask you some question, tell it you want to benchmak (it will ask for it), then keep the default value (just press enter), then afterwards second time you run it, just use the option 15 in the list (and keep pressing [Enter] about 4 times to use and accept the default values)

if the core temp gets above 71°C cancel the process ([CTRL]+[C])

now that you are aware of the requiered safety if you don't want to burn you CPU

now the BIOS part:

just enable manual option to be able to set the FBS

type in 333 for the FBS to get 3Ghz on each cpu core :)

depending on your ram, using the ram ratio keep it below a 50Mhz overclock, any ram should handle that easily

you'll see there are same ratio option for different FBS speed, I just use the closeset one to the FBS....

reboot and enjoy the speed...

unless you are doing cpu intensive application you won't really see a difference

(I do 3D rendering on this machine and every single 100Mhz overclock gives me a nice increase in render speed)

I would set the vcore to your default value manually, on mine it's 3.25xx v

so that it doesn't increase too much automatically...

with my cpu I can keep the default vcore up to 3.2Ghz after that I have to increase it (but that is the main factor of temperatue increase)

if you want to go above 3Ghz let me know, you'll need to change more option (like north bridge voltage)

if you have a G0 stepping, you should be able to get up to 3.6Ghz, but you'd need water cooling...

at 3.4Ghz it rise up to around 75°C so to much for me

3.3Ghz is an option for me with my cooler but rises up to 68°C so I don't want that

at 3.2Ghz at ususally doesn't go above 63°C

but if you don't have a G0 or latter stepping those temperature are too high

I was having a similar issue(timed sleep not working, but forced sleep works) for some time with my UD3R, which was really bugging me. I was suspecting SMB and Bonjour until I figured it out that Firefox was the culprit, at least in my case. This may or may not be the problem with your rig, but if you use Firefox give it a try if you feel like it :D Once I identified the culprit, I was able to recreate the problem and it has been solved ever since. Here is the story for everyone's reading pleasure :) (This issue also used to bug my MBP, so it is not specific to the board)

Fireup Firefox, type in about:config in the address bar. It will open up the config values, after a warning.

Type in places.frecency.updateIdleTime in the Filter text box. You should see the parameter to 60,000. Click on the parameter and modify the value to 0. Basically, you are disabling the parameter. I have done some reading on this stuff and I feel comfortable disabling it. Here is some background info:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.frecency.updateIdleTime

"Firefox takes into account how frequently and how recently sites in the browser history were visited, combining them into a statistic called “frecency.” The frecency of sites is calculated when the browser is idle. The way frecency is computed can be tweaked by a number of preferences. "

For me, this is not an important feature for firefox, so I disabled it :P

Some other folks were also having problems, so they created a bug in mozilla support system, but is yet to be addressed.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...2&forumId=1

Good Luck!

How essential is the 10.5.7 update? I have Leopard Retail 10.5.6 running fantastically well so I'm hesitant to risk screwing things up.

for that same reason I still running my second computer on 10.5.6 (a Shuttle k45 running as a web server)

for the ud3r

everything seems to have been solved, at the extent to a system running as well as 10.5.6

to be sure wait another few weeks...

at the exception of front port audio not working, if this is important to you stay at 10.5.6 until this is solved

and front microphone which never worked even in 10.5.6 ...

the only major issues for me was changing the CPU multi from the original 9X to 8X (and running at FBS 400Mhz) had the side effect of the machine not waking up properly (infinity loop on/sleep/on/sleep etc... I had to switch off the power supply for 10 secs to get out of this)...

so I went back to a 9X multi (FBS 356Mhz) still running at 3.2Ghz and sleep worked fine

(now I'm actually at FBS 378Mhz with the multi 9X to get 3.4Ghz and sleep still works)

if you don't overclock that won't be an issue...

Thanks to you guys, my computer is runing on 10.5.7 99.9%, except front headphone and mic. Mic is not a problem because I have a web cam with mic. Front headphone will be nice to be active...

Thank you! You have done a great job! :thanks_speechbubble:

I strange situation: on the Retail Leopard, the Eliade's patch is not working on my computer, but is working perfect on iPC 10.5.6 release DVD. :thumbsup_anim: Maybe I have done something wrong, or I have left out something.

Thank you again!

Hi what was your issue with sleep? Was it that you couldn't enter S3 sleep or that auto-timed sleep wasn't engaging?

no actually as posted just above my overclock (using lower 8X mutliplier instead of default to get 3.2Ghz) with 10.5.7 was responsible for my system not waking up from sleep...

after reading about AppleUSBEHCI and fixed it, I tried to sleep again and had to hard reboot due to the sleep problem the bios decided to reset the FBS down to 266Mhz but I didn't notice that right away, and of course it worked because the system was not overclocked, it was actually underclock because the CPU multi 8x was kept, only the FBS was reset to 266Mhz...

so I thought for a moment it was the new 10.5.7 AppleUSBEHCI responsible for the problem

and the modified one somehow helped but after my next reboot I noticed the CPU speed wasn't right...

so for sleep to work in 10.5.7 along with overclocking my system, I have to keep the mutliplier to the default value of 9X

anyway we still needed to change the version number on the AppleUSBEHCI

because using the original one you'd get "warning: device removal" after waking up from sleep

im on 4gb of ram if i was gonna up to 8gb will notice a difference?

Also what is a good case and PSU for QUIET SETUP.

Thanks.

No you won't notice a difference with 8gb of ram (especially if you have to ask). In another words, if you don't have a program you know NEEDS that much ram don't waste the money.

You might search the interweb for your PSU and case question. There are way too many suggestions that people will have. (everyone will be different). Start with Antec they have several quiet case/psu options.

Cool, thanks.

In an effort to keep this thread on track - I suggest you cruise over to Hardforum.com or another overclocking forum and look for some faq's! There's a lot of little gotcha's with doing it. There are several definite settings to change, and several to NOT change. Also the number one thing to remember is, every CPU is different. Your friends may all get to 3.6 but yours may never go past 3.0. It typically takes me about 20 minutes to figure out a cpu's max stable speed. If you find yourself spending all your time trying to squeeze another 10 mhz out of the CPU you know you've gone past the limit... :gun: PM me any questions I'll be happy to answer them about o'clocking!