NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

i'm having great luck with this board. I'm curious though, why do I need the networking kext? Before modifying anything, my network seems to works fine for me by default. I have the EP45-UD3R rev 1.1

I'm working on coming up with the bare min. kexts that I need. Thanks to all the people that have contributed, expecially skx, Auzigog, and grindliner for sure.

Here are some of my notes:

EP45-UD3R v1.1 with E8600 running at 4.0Ghz (8*500, ram 1:1 @ 5-5-5-12 ), 8800 GTS 640mb. Using a 74gb 10K Raptor HDD, 4gb Mushkin Ram, Asus SATA DVD drive. So, JMicron is disabled. serial and ppt disabled. Firewire enabled.

Using Auzigog's guide as a starting point, I basically use the boot CD to boot off the retail 10.5.6 dvd, then upon first reboot use the Uinstaller and load only the following:

OSx86 Essentials with apply kext package, everything else checked/chosen, and the following custom kexts: (I believe most of these came from GRINDLINER - I would use grindliner's plugin pack v3 but I don't want or need the jmicron driver, and my audio setup requires different kexts.)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily

After doing that and forcing a reboot - I'm good to go!

Both AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext came from the 889A audio thread. They were the first ones that gave me audio in the back of the pc and from the front (headphones).

I think I have a pretty solid install. I am just wondering if I need to include a realtek network kext. ICH10-R is recognized in my system info SATA section, audio works great. I could pull images and video off my digital camera via USB, I can access the internet and my local NAS device just fine. I've seen specific USB kexts but not sure if I require them. I also want to customize the "About this Mac" screen.

i'm having great luck with this board. I'm curious though, why do I need the networking kext? Before modifying anything, my network seems to works fine for me by default. I have the EP45-UD3R rev 1.1

I'm working on coming up with the bare min. kexts that I need. Thanks to all the people that have contributed, expecially skx, Auzigog, and grindliner for sure.

Here are some of my notes:

EP45-UD3R v1.1 with E8600 running at 4.0Ghz (8*500, ram 1:1 @ 5-5-5-12 ), 8800 GTS 640mb. Using a 74gb 10K Raptor HDD, 4gb Mushkin Ram, Asus SATA DVD drive. So, JMicron is disabled. serial and ppt disabled. Firewire enabled.

Using Auzigog's guide as a starting point, I basically use the boot CD to boot off the retail 10.5.6 dvd, then upon first reboot use the Uinstaller and load only the following:

OSx86 Essentials with apply kext package, everything else checked/chosen, and the following custom kexts: (I believe most of these came from GRINDLINER - I would use grindliner's plugin pack v3 but I don't want or need the jmicron driver, and my audio setup requires different kexts.)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily

After doing that and forcing a reboot - I'm good to go!

Both AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext came from the 889A audio thread. They were the first ones that gave me audio in the back of the pc and from the front (headphones).

I think I have a pretty solid install. I am just wondering if I need to include a realtek network kext. ICH10-R is recognized in my system info SATA section, audio works great. I could pull images and video off my digital camera via USB, I can access the internet and my local NAS device just fine. I've seen specific USB kexts but not sure if I require them. I also want to customize the "About this Mac" screen.

if you look 8 posts above I posted the "perfect" pack of kext

with absolute minimum

and few pages before on how to install it...

if you want to have access to individual kext instead of my one mkext, use MKextTool (google it)

the last remaining issue for me, is USB speed of storage devices (usb hd and flashdrive) that stays connected while you sleep the machine, after you wake the machine the speed is about 12MB/s on my usb HD, when it was 35MB/s right after a fresh boot...

without Realtekr1000.kext, networking is not fully working

internet works, but local networking is a different story... :)

Hi

well I don't know if you read the last few pages of this thread here, but our setup is almost perfect,

all from a retail disk install with minimal steps to get the system up and running :)

but there's one little thing that bothers me to get the perfect setup

, and since you seem to have a great iPC setup and most likely a different set of Kext

could you please try the following for me:

plug a usb Hard drive or fast flash drive, and sleep the machine while it's still mounted.

and finally wake it up...

do you get the device removal error... if so then never mind... iPC didn't fix that issue

if you don't, then great,

could you then download this free utility to check usb storage device speed (just set the drive in the list and press start)

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_System_Test_v601.zip

well first do a fresh reboot of the machine, test the speed of that device

then sleep & wake the machine and test again

if the speed are about the same then please let me know, and I'll try to extract the pack of kext you're using that is bundled with iPC, and target the one that fix that issue...

if the speed is significantly slower, then too bad, we'll all wait until someone finds a fix...

thanks

ok, finally got around to doing this for you. I used your test writing program. Data is below.

Before "menu" sleep using default settings. 3 tests

test 1 2 3

W19.6 19.0 18.6

R28.9 31.5 29.9

After forced menu sleep

W17.5 18.1 19.1

R32.8 33.2 14.6

no notices difference. I'm using iPC with the kext dinosaures is using.

ok, finally got around to doing this for you. I used your test writing program. Data is below.

Before "menu" sleep using default settings. 3 tests

test 1 2 3

W19.6 19.0 18.6

R28.9 31.5 29.9

After forced menu sleep

W17.5 18.1 19.1

R32.8 33.2 14.6

no notices difference. I'm using iPC with the kext dinosaures is using.

thanks

so you didn't disconnect it at all, and did not get the device removal warning?

if so that's good new, and would it be possible that you zip all the iPC "special" kexts and post it?

I'll figure it out from there

thanks

thanks

if so that's good new, and would it be possible that you zip all the iPC "special" kexts and post it?

thanks

i had a 16gb usb flash card plugged into the USB at all time. I do get the "warning" when I come out of sleep. I did not disconnect it at all. I just used the kext in this thread for ipc. My mic in does not work. I'm still unclear if anybody has that working or not. I monitor this thread so if there is anything i can test for you let me know.

Also, my system does not sleep by the "system prefs". Only by a force sleep in the apple menu. Otherwise, everything is perfect.

thanks

thanks

Whoops! (maybe?) Those write/read data I gave you were for writing to a XP harddrive (I have dual boot). Here is the data for writing to the USB card itself. Is this good or bad?

Test before forced sleep (3 tests)

W 13.0 13.1 13.0

R 20.1 20.5 20.3

Test after sleep (3 tests)

W 13.1 13.1 13.0

R 20.1 20.5 20.3

No noticeable difference between normal and then awake after sleep.

i had a 16gb usb flash card plugged into the USB at all time. I do get the "warning" when I come out of sleep. I did not disconnect it at all. I just used the kext in this thread for ipc. My mic in does not work. I'm still unclear if anybody has that working or not. I monitor this thread so if there is anything i can test for you let me know.

Also, my system does not sleep by the "system prefs". Only by a force sleep in the apple menu. Otherwise, everything is perfect.

Whoops! (maybe?) Those write/read data I gave you were for writing to a XP harddrive (I have dual boot). Here is the data for writing to the USB card itself. Is this good or bad?

Test before forced sleep (3 tests)

W 13.0 13.1 13.0

R 20.1 20.5 20.3

Test after sleep (3 tests)

W 13.1 13.1 13.0

R 20.1 20.5 20.3

No noticeable difference between normal and then awake after sleep.

ok thanks

but you do get the warning, And I don't want it

few days ago someone firgure it out, but now the speed is slower

your speed seems resonable for a flash drive, they are much slower than HD

(no considering those new expensive super fast SSD HD)

I still prefer slower speed than the warning

get my latest mkext (about 10 posts above )

and use MKextTool (free, google it) to extract the kext

use the voodoo kext (instead of openhaltrestart if you have that, probably not considering your problem) that should solve your sleep problem by the "system prefs"... and you get speedstep

if you don't want speedstep for some reason use openhaltrestart google it there's only one version

again should solve your specific sleep problem

as for sound still from that latest mkext

you have 2 versions one I suppose allows digital, which I don't have, so I use the full analog version since it makes no difference to me.

rear panel microphone works, I use it with skype (not the front panel microphone though, but audio out from front panel works)

so you need all 3 from my mkext:

HDAEnabler

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

and don't forget to remove any other sound related kext you already have installed, and restore orginal sound kext if they have been replaced, few pages before I posted original kext from 10.5.6 in case you don't have a backup

if you look 8 posts above I posted the "perfect" pack of kext

with absolute minimum

and few pages before on how to install it...

if you want to have access to individual kext instead of my one mkext, use MKextTool (google it)

the last remaining issue for me, is USB speed of storage devices (usb hd and flashdrive) that stays connected while you sleep the machine, after you wake the machine the speed is about 12MB/s on my usb HD, when it was 35MB/s right after a fresh boot...

without Realtekr1000.kext, networking is not fully working

internet works, but local networking is a different story... :)

Thanks! Sorry, I think I ignored your posts as they talk about "running" Chameleon and I was using the Uinstaller only. :) Is there an advantage to not using Uinstaller and using Chameleon manually? Thanks. Interesting about the network as I can see other Windows machines AND access my Dlink NAS (SMB Share) without ever loading a network kext. I will add the realtekr1000 to my list though. I have a very good install going, I may have to make a Uinstaller plugin for myself now.

Thanks! Sorry, I think I ignored your posts as they talk about "running" Chameleon and I was using the Uinstaller only. :) Is there an advantage to not using Uinstaller and using Chameleon manually? Thanks. Interesting about the network as I can see other Windows machines AND access my Dlink NAS (SMB Share) without ever loading a network kext. I will add the realtekr1000 to my list though. I have a very good install going, I may have to make a Uinstaller plugin for myself now.

you do need uinstaller, but only for EFI string...

You know when installing kext using uinstaller, they get installed in S/L/E

well exept for mkext (I think), so I could or anyone setup uinstaller to install my mkext in the Extra folder for you... doing it manually is just as easy as a drag and drop... so I never looked into it...

1. It's just like having a clean install without touching the guts of the MacOS system, all the "hacking" is done on the side...

2. therefore when you boot with a boot132, Chameleon and the extra folder is totally discarded...

3. And if you are replacing an original kext (with uinstaller), your modified kext will get re-replaced when you get to the next update (10.5.7),

whereas if you do it my way, the chances that everything works with absolutely no modification after the update are close to 100% :angel:

4. So if you update and you have some kext (ones that do not replaces originals one, let say the Realtekr1000.kext, and are not compatible with the update, saving your system won't be easy (not impossible, because you can always boot the OSX install DVD and use the terminal to rescue the system), by this could be made so much easier... Or if you are experimenting new kext in the S/L/E folder and one don't allow you to boot the system you're screwed... :wacko:

Instead if you have all your "special" kext in the chameleon Extra folder , and one kext is not compatible you can very easily save your system by booting with boot132 disk (or grub-dfe) and graphically save your system. :)

5. with chameleon 2 you can also keep your com.apple.Boot.plist in it's original state and use a modified version in the Extra folder...

for example if you decide to add @60 to the video resolution as in 1920x1080x32@60, like many people posted on these forum, and like a did a week ago ;) , the system doesn't boot with our board and my video card (8800GTS)... but all I had to do is use the boot 132 disk and modify the plist in the Extra folder. whereas if I had modified the original plist grub dfe still won't boot... :unsure:

Well I think you get the point, a clean system mean that you can rescue it very easily...

I don't use windows anymore, I've had this UD3R board since December or January and it never saw windows natively ;) , only in VMWare Fusion for some very minimal need of windows once and a while... this machine is my workstation, If I lose the OSX drive I lose a bunch of data too (of course I use timemachine) so if the option to save a system in less than 3min is available, I take it, instead of reinstalling osx and all my softwares, that would be a big waste of time...

ok now I see the difference. I am going to have to change my install routine! I think I might have more fun installing the OS than using it at the moment. ;)

and doing it the way I did was a fun challenge too, but in the end to get a great MacOS workstation

Unfortunately the Realtekr1000.kext is not well loaded from the mkext, if you need networking access or screen sharing it might fail after a while, workaround is to sleep the machine and wake it up again, or install it in the S/L/E folder

if your networking works good enough for you keep your setup with my mkext the way it is...

the challenge continues...

I know there isn't a driver available for the gtx260 cards, but would there be an issue with doing this install with one? I was hoping to build a hackintosh to run FCP. I guess the resolution would be limited?

I know with my 8800GTS 320MB without the driver or EFI string, it's unusable, basically nothing get refreshed automatically, only if you do a drag select with the cursor, the area selected get refreshed, anyway totally unusable. I can't predict the behavior of the gtx260...

if you have a spare drive you'd know in 15Min (that how long it takes to install MacOS on my Q6600)

the fastest Nvidia card with EFI string is the 9800GTX 512MB

I know there isn't a driver available for the gtx260 cards, but would there be an issue with doing this install with one? I was hoping to build a hackintosh to run FCP. I guess the resolution would be limited?

I built my hacky with a gtx260. I only used the default VESA drivers. It did have the refresh problem as stated. Basically unusable. I had to swith back to my 8800gts 640 until snow leopard comes out and supposedly support the 200 cards.

I did read last week or before on these forums that somebody did find a patch to make the 260gtx work completely in VESA mode. It still would look like {censored} but refresh would work. Just do a search.

well I'm a bit confused on the Chameleon 2.x route. I kept reading where Elide states to "...delete the extensions folder" - well if I do that It won't boot. If I put an extentions folder there with my kexts it boots but audio and video not working right. Other method using strictly Uinstaller works great though....

Hi

well I don't know if you read the last few pages of this thread here, but our setup is almost perfect,

all from a retail disk install with minimal steps to get the system up and running :)

but there's one little thing that bothers me to get the perfect setup

, and since you seem to have a great iPC setup and most likely a different set of Kext

could you please try the following for me:

plug a usb Hard drive or fast flash drive, and sleep the machine while it's still mounted.

and finally wake it up...

do you get the device removal error... if so then never mind... iPC didn't fix that issue

if you don't, then great,

could you then download this free utility to check usb storage device speed (just set the drive in the list and press start)

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_System_Test_v601.zip

well first do a fresh reboot of the machine, test the speed of that device

then sleep & wake the machine and test again

if the speed are about the same then please let me know, and I'll try to extract the pack of kext you're using that is bundled with iPC, and target the one that fix that issue...

if the speed is significantly slower, then too bad, we'll all wait until someone finds a fix...

thanks

Would def prefer a retail install as I actually own the Leopard disc which I bought for my ancient G4 but since I got the iPC working so well I've been reluctant to try. :(

I'll try the sleep/USB speed test tonight and report back in this post.

Thanks again for the heads up on the JMicron kext, can't wait to test that out too.

I do get the device removal error for USB drives after waking from sleep, but the funny thing is I always got that with my G4 running Leopard too. Very annoying and worrying to me if any of my files were being corrupted.

well I'm a bit confused on the Chameleon 2.x route. I kept reading where Eliade states to "...delete the extensions folder" - well if I do that It won't boot. If I put an extensions folder there with my kexts it boots but audio and video not working right. Other method using strictly Uinstaller works great though....

you need to delete the the content of /Extra/Extensions/ folder (or the /Extra/Extensions/ folder itself) ONLY IF you use my mkext, which should be located in /Extra/

(and just in case do not delete System/Library/Extensions)

Would def prefer a retail install as I actually own the Leopard disc which I bought for my ancient G4 but since I got the iPC working so well I've been reluctant to try. :)

I'll try the sleep/USB speed test tonight and report back in this post.

yeah retail is best

you don't need to try the sleep/USB, someone else tested it with iPC, the iPC install does not take care of the device removal warning after slep/wake at all ...

you can fix it with the same kext I use but you'll get the speed issue then...

thanks anyway

about JmicronATA, I forgot to mention that you need to disable the option "sleep HD when possible" in the energy preferences, or your system will panic once and a while...

same fix if you use my mkext

you do need uinstaller, but only for EFI string...

You know when installing kext using uinstaller, they get installed in S/L/E

well exept for mkext (I think), so I could or anyone setup uinstaller to install my mkext in the Extra folder for you... doing it manually is just as easy as a drag and drop... so I never looked into it...

Well I think you get the point, a clean system mean that you can rescue it very easily...

I don't use windows anymore, I've had this UD3R board since December or January and it never saw windows natively :) , only in VMWare Fusion for some very minimal need of windows once and a while... this machine is my workstation, If I lose the OSX drive I lose a bunch of data too (of course I use timemachine) so if the option to save a system in less than 3min is available, I take it, instead of reinstalling osx and all my softwares, that would be a big waste of time...

Thank you for your awesome post above! This exactly what I came to InsanelyMac for today and what I need to do. I originally intended to setup my system this way, and for all the reasons you mention, but didn't fully understand how Uinstaller, Cameleon, etc worked. I originally used the Munky method to setup my system, then drifted here and there and now my machine is not 100% vanilla. : ( (Woe is me.)

I'm going to try to clean things up by using your posts,

THANKS!

:)

Thank you for your awesome post above! This exactly what I came to InsanelyMac for today and what I need to do. I originally intended to setup my system this way, and for all the reasons you mention, but didn't fully understand how Uinstaller, Cameleon, etc worked. I originally used the Munky method to setup my system, then drifted here and there and now my machine is not 100% vanilla. : ( (Woe is me.)

I'm going to try to clean things up by using your posts,

THANKS!

:thumbsup_anim:

you're welcome

but it should be THE (almost ;) ) PERFECT SETUP for our board

you need chameleon 2 (no guaranty with chameleon 1.0.x, but will most likely work too)

in the Extra folder remove the Extensions folder

and Extensions.mkext if there's one...

EDIT: NEW NEW NEW

same as above, IDE support, No device removal error (but slow usb speed after sleep), and supposedly fix UUID error 35 (please let me know if you do have this error with this new mkext)

Extensions.mkext_GA_EP45_UD3R_April_10_2009.zip

Okay Eliade got my next Hackintosh stuff from Newegg today and will be working on the new system tomorrow. As I mentioned to you before I'll be updating the method my current Hackintosh used (which was based on Auzigog's fantastic blog) to include Chameleon2 and your mkext. Assuming everything runs smoothly I'll then update my current machine to the same install.

However, instead of the Grub-dfe CD I used for my first machine, I'd like to try to use an IDE DVD burner I have lying around and feel it best to be working thru a boot-132 CD (which obviously would need to contain JMicron kext).

My question to you is did you use a modified boot-132 with IDE support? And if so, do you have a link for that?

Also, I plan on providing an extremely detailed "how to" for noobs like myself on my blog, I would like to provide links to your posts and mkext download since I feel at this point it is the most complete for our mobo.

Okay Eliade got my next Hackintosh stuff from Newegg today and will be working on the new system tomorrow. As I mentioned to you before I'll be updating the method my current Hackintosh used (which was based on Auzigog's fantastic blog) to include Chameleon2 and your mkext. Assuming everything runs smoothly I'll then update my current machine to the same install.

However, instead of the Grub-dfe CD I used for my first machine, I'd like to try to use an IDE DVD burner I have lying around and feel it best to be working thru a boot-132 CD (which obviously would need to contain JMicron kext).

My question to you is did you use a modified boot-132 with IDE support? And if so, do you have a link for that?

Also, I plan on providing an extremely detailed "how to" for noobs like myself on my blog, I would like to provide links to your posts and mkext download since I feel at this point it is the most complete for our mobo.

Yeah I have my own boot 132 disk

I even added the EFI string for my video card (8800GTS 320) on it, very usefull since without EFI it's almost unusable (because the screen is not refreshed well)

so after an install I can basically run of the boot132 disk for a while without touching the system at all, it just runs perfectly... :-)

if you want to make your own boot132, use slimbuiltgui:

http://######.com/downloads/SlimbuildGUI-1.0.zip

here is mkext tool:

http://######.com/downloads/MKextTool_1.0.zip

just add the kexts (NOT the mkext) use mkexttool to extract the individual kext from my mkext, slimbuiltgui will actually recreate a mkext on the CD. Add the a plist (com.apple.Boot.plist with the EFI string already on it) if you want boot option or EFI string (full video acceleration and Timemachine fix)

it makes it a perfect boot 132 specific for that board to install and also as recovery disk to boot your system if you mess up the Extra folder for whatever reason

also I forgot to mention if you use my JmicronATA you need to disable the option "sleep Hard Disk when possible" in the energy preference... otherwise you'll get random panic...

if you don't have IDE HD then maybe it's not important, but I'm not sure, to be 100% safe about that you should disable the option...

use my latest mkext:

with realtekr1000 included

mkext___ud3r___April_15.zip

sometimes realtekr1000 doesn't work well when it's in the mkext, I've noticed that after few days

local network (toward other mac at least) and screen sharing stops working randomly...

(sleep and wakeup is one workaound if it's in the mkext)

mkext without realtekr1000, in order to install realtekr1000 in S/L/E for an absolute perfect functionality

ud3r_without_network_april15.zip

and here is realtekr1000:

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

in that case no need for the -f during boot...

and you can install it in S/L/E with kexthelper:

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

you need to delete the the content of /Extra/Extensions/ folder (or the /Extra/Extensions/ folder itself) ONLY IF you use my mkext, which should be located in /Extra/

(and just in case do not delete System/Library/Extensions)

I have given up on your mkext as my UD3R will not boot when using it. I tried three different flavors of it and she will panic if I use yours. (i use no ide devices and the gigabyte controller is disabled in bios) ;) I HAVE managed to get my own mkext built, but it's not working 100% compared to using the same kexts and adding them to s/l/e w/uinstaller. I used netkas commands you (Eliade) posted back in the beginning to build my mkext. Is that the best way to create one? I made sure the Extentions folder was removed from Extra afterwards. I put my com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder and my video works fine. I boot fine, but My smbios stuff didn't seem to take affect, (drives were still organge too). My audio was working perfect using someone's posted legacy audio kexts that supposedly work well from mkext. (I do get a popping noise every now and then though) I thought I was looking good as the drives and smbios (about this mac infO) would be easy to figure out, but I then noticed that my mouse won't come back to life after sleeping. If I install all my kexts to /S/L/E though, all this stuff doesn't happen. I love the ability to dual boot though with the new Chameleon so I want to make this work! Thanks for all your feedback and info Eliade. You should start your own fresh thread at this point!

I have given up on your mkext as my UD3R will not boot when using it. I tried three different flavors of it and she will panic if I use yours. (i use no ide devices and the gigabyte controller is disabled in bios) :) I HAVE managed to get my own mkext built, but it's not working 100% compared to using the same kexts and adding them to s/l/e w/uinstaller. I used netkas commands you (Eliade) posted back in the beginning to build my mkext. Is that the best way to create one? I made sure the Extentions folder was removed from Extra afterwards. I put my com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder and my video works fine. I boot fine, but My smbios stuff didn't seem to take affect, (drives were still organge too). My audio was working perfect using someone's posted legacy audio kexts that supposedly work well from mkext. (I do get a popping noise every now and then though) I thought I was looking good as the drives and smbios (about this mac infO) would be easy to figure out, but I then noticed that my mouse won't come back to life after sleeping. If I install all my kexts to /S/L/E though, all this stuff doesn't happen. I love the ability to dual boot though with the new Chameleon so I want to make this work! Thanks for all your feedback and info Eliade. You should start your own fresh thread at this point!

If it does not boot that's probably because your S/L/E is not fully original especially regarding uch10 drivers, those can create boot problem

or maybe it's the controler in the bios...

yes I use Netkas method to create mkext

for your audio if you are going to use S/L/E anyway the audio on the very first post works great, without clicking, but it must be installed in S/L/E...

the one one from my latest mkext doesn't click either, I know anothe driver in this thread gives the annoying clicking noise...

I got if from there:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

below the first image and right below the text that says:

"New added OSBundleRequired = Root to legacy kexts. AppleHDA.kext will not loaded since previous legacy kexts put into /Extra/Extensi........"

all four works well

if you had trouble with sleeping/waking with mouse that may be because you had OpenHaltRestart along with Voodoo, they both do the same thing (voodoo also has speedstep), only one should be there

if you have duplicates kext in mkext and Extra/Extension and S/L/E, for some kext it leads to not working kext or even boot failure

especially if you have different kext that are supposed to do the same thing

of if you are missing kext when they are dependent on each other like the ich10 kext(if you miss one of the three it will probably fail booting)

as soon as I have network working perfectly from mkext, I'll create a new thread

Thanks. Yes so far I have not touched the default /S/L/E directory on this latest attempt (installed fresh from retail 10.5.6 DVD). I haven't even added the Realtekr1000.kext. So it's completely virgin. I will try those audio kexts although that might be the same ones I found last night. The audio sounds great, it just has a pop to it every now and then.

I must be missing a step for the mkext or doing something out of order. The nice thing is I haven't touched the default files so I don't have to start over like I used to, just keep playing with Mkexts instead