ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Sweet!!! You guys Rock! Thanks so much after searching everywhere! I finally got sound on 10.5.6 Next I have to reinstall Retail 10.5.7 to test:)

MY Board GA-EP45-UD3L!!!

AppleHDA.kext for ALC888 (Gigabyte)

1.6.2a37 888.zip

Please Sticky This Thread!

tmongkol,

I am also expereincing the same KP as seanmcd. I am trying to get 889A Legacy with 4outs3ins to work on a GA EP45-DS3R motherboard.

1) If I install the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip kext with the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext, my system KP's.

2) I tried the same test that seanmcd did, 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext, Legacy kexts from Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip, and HDAEnabler.kext for 10.5.7. This time my system will not KP, but boots up normally but with no audio.

3) I am successfully using L4_4outs2ins_analog_regular_headphone or n4_1.6.2a37_4outs3ins_analog_regular_headphone without any problems as a reference point.

Please help me with this one.

Regards,

ccg

tmongkol,

I am also expereincing the same KP as seanmcd. I am trying to get 889A Legacy with 4outs3ins to work on a GA EP45-DS3R motherboard.

1) If I install the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip kext with the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext, my system KP's.

2) I tried the same test that seanmcd did, 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext, Legacy kexts from Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip, and HDAEnabler.kext for 10.5.7. This time my system will not KP, but boots up normally but with no audio.

3) I am successfully using L4_4outs2ins_analog_regular_headphone or n4_1.6.2a37_4outs3ins_analog_regular_headphone without any problems as a reference point.

Please help me with this one.

Regards,

ccg

Q1. If I install the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip kext with the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext, my system KP's.

A1. You need HDAEnable.kext for 1057.zip, not the one in the Laegacy_4outs3ins. However, I did layout-id of the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip to be 889 and layout-id of HDAEnabler.kext for 1057 to be 885. So, your Q2, you could not get it loaded.

You can change layout-id in info.plist of HDAEnabler,kext from 885 to 889. The Hex of 885 is 0x00000375 and the Hex of 889 is 0x00000379. You need to enter layout-id as <75030000> for 885 or <79030000> for 889. For example, if you set and save layout-is as 889, you will get "y."

post-93383-1247148017_thumb.jpg

post-93383-1247148042_thumb.jpg

Q1. If I install the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip kext with the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext, my system KP's.

A1. You need HDAEnable.kext for 1057.zip, not the one in the Laegacy_4outs3ins. However, I did layout-id of the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip to be 889 and layout-id of HDAEnabler.kext for 1057 to be 885. So, your Q2, you could not get it loaded.

You can change layout-id in info.plist of HDAEnabler,kext from 885 to 889. The Hex of 885 is 0x00000375 and the Hex of 889 is 0x00000379. You need to enter layout-id as <75030000> for 885 or <79030000> for 889. For example, if you set and save layout-is as 889, you will get "y."

post-93383-1247148017_thumb.jpg

post-93383-1247148042_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. However, when I changed the layout-id in HDAEnabler.kext (1057 version) to 889, I get the KP.

What do you think?

ccg

Edit: I can install Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip kext with the 1.6.2.a37 AppleHDA.kext and get audio. The KP comes when trying to use 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext.

Edit1: I can install Legacy_4outs2ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip kext with the 1.6.2.a37 AppleHDA.kext or 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext and get audio.

Hi guys,

i got sound in my 6920g now, and plugging in headphones changes the internal speakers label to headphones in system preferences. However i cannot get any sound out of the headphones. I have checked the mute checkbox, the headphones work with an iPhone and have no volume control etc on the cable. As soon as i unplug them the label in system preferences changes back to internal speakers and i have sound out the speakers again.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into making all of this work!

Thanks a lot tmongkol. The "L3 4out2ins analog HDA headphone" works on EP45 ds3. Music (MP3) sound is crystal, 720p HD movies works fine, although it gets stuck now and then when playing Bluray files with VLC or Plex. Really appreciated for your work ~:)

i am having a hard time configuring this flippin audio codec.

MOBO: EVGA X58 3x SLI.

CODEC: ALC889A

I have tried various different kexts. It show up in the profiler with the id under built-in audio. but there are no audio devices available.! please help! i have deleted all audio kexts, even done a clean OSX installation. but i always get no audio devices available.

After new installation of OSX using the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip driver, the sound output is default set ti Headphones.

Is there anyway through plists or other way to change the default to Internal Speakers (Built-in Speaker)?

Thanks,

ccg

After new installation of OSX using the Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip driver, the sound output is default set ti Headphones.

Is there anyway through plists or other way to change the default to Internal Speakers (Built-in Speaker)?

Thanks,

ccg

@ccg

Is it happenning every time after your system boots up? Normally the OS should keep as Internal Speakers on the next boot if you select this choice.

@ccg

Is it happenning every time after your system boots up? Normally the OS should keep as Internal Speakers on the next boot if you select this choice.

tmongkol,

No it is sticky, once I set it to Internal Speakers, it stays set.

It only initializes to Headphones immediately after booting the first time after installation. Example, when the initial OS X movie plays after booting for the first, audio is playing to Headphones instead of Internal Speakers.

Obviously this is not a serious issue. I just wanted to know what determines the initial sound output setting and if there is a way to change it, i.e. through Info.plist or something else.

Also, is there any fix yet to the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext (10.5.7) KP issue?

Thanks for the help,

ccg

tmongkol,

No it is sticky, once I set it to Internal Speakers, it stays set.

It only initializes to Headphones immediately after booting the first time after installation. Example, when the initial OS X movie plays after booting for the first, audio is playing to Headphones instead of Internal Speakers.

Obviously this is not a serious issue. I just wanted to know what determines the initial sound output setting and if there is a way to change it, i.e. through Info.plist or something else.

Also, is there any fix yet to the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext (10.5.7) KP issue?

Thanks for the help,

ccg

@ccg

I don't know what controls the defualt setting after installation.

Which one you used with 1.6.8a3 cause KP?

@ccg

I don't know what controls the defualt setting after installation.

Which one you used with 1.6.8a3 cause KP?

@tmongkol

What I found out is the KP is caused by the HDAEnabler.kext with the iokit set to 6.9.9 in Info.plist and the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext. Changing the iokit to 7.9.9 stops the KP, but there is no sound. This is with Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip.

Legacy_4outs2ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip works with either 1.6.2.a37 or 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext and with either the iokit set to 6.9.9 or 7.9.9 in the HDAEnabler.kext Info.plist.

Thanks for listening,

ccg

@tmongkol

What I found out is the KP is caused by the HDAEnabler.kext with the iokit set to 6.9.9 in Info.plist and the 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext. Changing the iokit to 7.9.9 stops the KP, but there is no sound. This is with Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip.

Legacy_4outs2ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip works with either 1.6.2.a37 or 1.6.8.a3 AppleHDA.kext and with either the iokit set to 6.9.9 or 7.9.9 in the HDAEnabler.kext Info.plist.

Thanks for listening,

ccg

ccg

Try this Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip You will see why I didn't make front mic for using with 1.6.8a3.

I tested this zip files with my patched DSDT, not using HDAEnabler.kext.

tmongkol.

ccg

Try this Legacy_4outs3ins_analog_regualr_headphone.zip You will see why I didn't make front mic for using with 1.6.8a3.

I tested this zip files with my patched DSDT, not using HDAEnabler.kext.

tmongkol.

@tmongkol,

I tried your Legacy4outs3ins file + 1.6.8.a3. I see the None for the front mic (sound output does work, though).

I think I will stick to what works (Legacy4outs2ins).

You said you used your patched DSDT, not using HDAEnabler.kext. I have the EP45-DS3R motherboard. Is there a place to look for a DSDT patching guide to understand generating a custom DSDT for the EP45?

You are super for your responses.

ccg

@tmongkol,

I tried your Legacy4outs3ins file + 1.6.8.a3. I see the None for the front mic (sound output does work, though).

I think I will stick to what works (Legacy4outs2ins).

You said you used your patched DSDT, not using HDAEnabler.kext. I have the EP45-DS3R motherboard. Is there a place to look for a DSDT patching guide to understand generating a custom DSDT for the EP45?

You are super for your responses.

ccg

@ccg

I added how to patch DSDT on the fisrt post.

tmongkol

@ccg

I added how to patch DSDT on the fisrt post.

tmongkol

@tmongkol,

Your guide to DSDT patching is super! Already using a new DSDT with LAN, audio, and video.

I am going to have to get the ACPI spec to understand more, but that is what my degree is for.

Do you know if anyone has been able to fix the restart/shudown issue (OpenHaltRestart.kext) using DSDT?

Thanks,

ccg

those of you with ALC888 and cant get it working, try one of these 3 attached kext folders. the guy over at osxupdate.blogspot.com gave me permission to post them, as long as i mentioned that its all Taruga's work.

I just wanted to report that I'd been having a lot of trouble with getting audio on my ICH10 Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L ALC888 audio. Plenty of kexts are out there for ALC888, and none of them worked for me. I suspect it's because of the Southbridge controller, in this case, mine is ICH10; from what I can gather, this is relatively uncommon and only on new motherboards.

Anyway, of the kexts in the above attached file, v2 works for me. Sadly it's only 2.0 audio, but that's a big step up from zero. None of the other outputs seem to work for me. No subwoofer or center working so far.

I installed into Extra/Extensions and rebuilt the kextcache. It also contains AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, but I haven't figured out if that's necessary or not (it wasn't sufficient on its own, but I removed it at one point and lost sound... doesn't seem logical to me though).

If anyone has any pointers on how I can get 5.1 audio working, that'd be great. I've tried making an aggregate device, but since only one output works on the back, I don't think it's going to help me a lot.

Thanks again for all your work and useful replies, tmongkol (and Reign of Terror).

I just wanted to report that I'd been having a lot of trouble with getting audio on my ICH10 Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L ALC888 audio. Plenty of kexts are out there for ALC888, and none of them worked for me. I suspect it's because of the Southbridge controller, in this case, mine is ICH10; from what I can gather, this is relatively uncommon and only on new motherboards.

Anyway, of the kexts in the above attached file, v2 works for me. Sadly it's only 2.0 audio, but that's a big step up from zero. None of the other outputs seem to work for me. No subwoofer or center working so far.

I installed into Extra/Extensions and rebuilt the kextcache. It also contains AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, but I haven't figured out if that's necessary or not (it wasn't sufficient on its own, but I removed it at one point and lost sound... doesn't seem logical to me though).

If anyone has any pointers on how I can get 5.1 audio working, that'd be great. I've tried making an aggregate device, but since only one output works on the back, I don't think it's going to help me a lot.

Thanks again for all your work and useful replies, tmongkol (and Reign of Terror).

@omatix

Did you try 1.5.7a24 888.zip and 1.6.2a37 888.zip on the first post? They should be installed into /System/Library/Extensions by using KextHelper. If AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is in /S/L/E, remove it. AppleHDA.kext cannot be in /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions.mkext.

tmongkol

Thank you for your great work!

Your latest LegacyHDA.kext for ALC888 works flawless on GA-EP43-UD3L, both DSDT and HDAEnabler ways.

Just curious about HDA Hardware Config Resource Section in plist, it seems to be responsible for nothing.

In fact, LegacyHDA works without that section in my experience.

And under HDA Platform Resource section, i see some Boost and VREF values. After search in last few builds of vanilla AppleHDA.kext, there is none of that values anymore. Maybe Boost still works, but i believe VREF is not valid, because there is new MuteGPIO value instead of VREF. VREF can be traced back to old Tiger kext with Tagua's great work, and disappear when apple rewrite AppleHDA. So i delete these value, nothing bad happened, sound perfect.

Thanks again to tmongkol, you guys really rock!

tmongkol

Thank you for your great work!

Your latest LegacyHDA.kext for ALC888 works flawless on GA-EP43-UD3L, both DSDT and HDAEnabler ways.

Just curious about HDA Hardware Config Resource Section in plist, it seems to be responsible for nothing.

In fact, LegacyHDA works without that section in my experience.

And under HDA Platform Resource section, i see some Boost and VREF values. After search in last few builds of vanilla AppleHDA.kext, there is none of that values anymore. Maybe Boost still works, but i believe VREF is not valid, because there is new MuteGPIO value instead of VREF. VREF can be traced back to old Tiger kext with Tagua's great work, and disappear when apple rewrite AppleHDA. So i delete these value, nothing bad happened, sound perfect.

Thanks again to tmongkol, you guys really rock!

@ganxiao

Thanks for your comment.

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble figuring out which kexts I'm supposed to download and how I am supposed to install them... There are a lot of them on the first page and it isn't clear to me which ones are for what. I have the alc899a audio chipset and have been successful in getting audio working using some old AppleHDA.kext and alcinject.kext I found on an old post on this forum but it is all crackly. I tried using the HDAenabler.kext for 10.5.7 and one of the AppleHDA.kexts from the front page and my audio chipset shows up in system profiler but not in system preferences and I get no sound.

Can anyone point me to some step by step directions or help me to figure out which kexts I need and how to configure them?

My hardware is in my signature if that is helpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble figuring out which kexts I'm supposed to download and how I am supposed to install them... There are a lot of them on the first page and it isn't clear to me which ones are for what. I have the alc899a audio chipset and have been successful in getting audio working using some old AppleHDA.kext and alcinject.kext I found on an old post on this forum but it is all crackly. I tried using the HDAenabler.kext for 10.5.7 and one of the AppleHDA.kexts from the front page and my audio chipset shows up in system profiler but not in system preferences and I get no sound.

Can anyone point me to some step by step directions or help me to figure out which kexts I need and how to configure them?

My hardware is in my signature if that is helpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which OS X 10.5.x are you using?

OS X 10.5.7: get AppleHDA 1.6.8a3 or lower

OS X 10.5.6: get AppleHDA 1.6.2a37 or lower

OS X 10.5.4: get AppleHDA 1.5.7a24 or lower

remove old AppleHDA.kext and ALCinjext.kext before installing new AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext.

Hi tmongkol

I know this thread is dedicated to ALC889A, but I see you also include a How-To for the EP45 which uses ALC888. Has anybody got audio working for the GA-EP45-DS3L using DSDT?

The reason I ask is I have tried many times to create DSDT using koalala's patcher and although I have successfully got the video and ethernet working, the audio through DSDT for the EP45-DS3L still eludes me. So this morning I tried following your How-To and the audio unfortunately still didn't work. Do I have to add the LegacyHDA.kext as well as the DSDT.aml?

If anybody can help me with this then it would mean the final piece of the jigsaw for the EP45-DS3L can be put in place.

Thanks

Hi tmongkol

I know this thread is dedicated to ALC889A, but I see you also include a How-To for the EP45 which uses ALC888. Has anybody got audio working for the GA-EP45-DS3L using DSDT?

The reason I ask is I have tried many times to create DSDT using koalala's patcher and although I have successfully got the video and ethernet working, the audio through DSDT for the EP45-DS3L still eludes me. So this morning I tried following your How-To and the audio unfortunately still didn't work. Do I have to add the LegacyHDA.kext as well as the DSDT.aml?

If anybody can help me with this then it would mean the final piece of the jigsaw for the EP45-DS3L can be put in place.

Thanks

@blackosx

Can you use DSDT patcher by fassl and post your xxx.tar in Debug folder? I might be able helping you. Actually, if you follow my guide, you should get it working.

Or, can you post your DSDT patched by koalala's patcher?

You may be to add LegacyHDA.kext into /S/L/E or /Extra/Extensions. Don't forget to remove HADEnable.kext.