ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

Hi, I installed this and fine got sound working now with my Gigabyte ep45-ds3p, the only problem is that when something starts to play a sound (im assuming opening the sound device) then i get a slight click before the sound starts playing. Any idea what that can be?

All info I got was from ipis and this thread.

For the commands:

reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470500 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

-w tells to write to physical address the verb 0x01470500, -a tells the memory address to write to (0xfc300000 + 60)

You can learn more about it in the second link I posted.

To get the memory address, you can run the following in terminal:

Replace AppleHDA with AzaliaController if using Azalia.

Script needs to be run every time you cold boot, or wake from sleep. I installed sleepwatcher and did the following:

Place script in /Users/user1/sound.sh

Make executable (sudo chmod +x sound.sh)

Give root ownership (sudo chown root sound.sh)

Tell sleepwatcher to run script by editing file /etc/rc.wakeup

Add the line ./Users/user1/sound.sh

Replace user1 with your username.

Dear DPyro

I'm an 6920g howner, I folow your procedure, my OSX is 10.5.4 from kalyway from external usb Hard disk.

I created a file colled sound.sh like your indication, I installed CHUD and sleepwatcher, to load the script, speaker and external mic works, but internal mic and headphone doesen't work.

I missed some steps?

Thaks for your help

Hi guys,

There's great work going on here! I've spent many days trying to get my 889a to work. I keep having the same issue. I'm hoping someone here can help. I have 2 of these motherboards, 1 desktop where i'd like 5.1 analog and 1 htpc that needs spdif.

info:

-GA-EP45-DS3L (ALC889a)

-currently using EFI-v9 (but also used chameleon 2 rc1 before i hosed my system)

-theres no SMBios resolvers etc in my 'extra' folder (only AppleDecrypt, CPUDisabler, OpenHaltRestart & network files)

-using AnV AppleSMBios.kext (33)

-modded AppleHDA.kext is being placed into S/L/E w/ HDAEnabler to keep things simple for now (using 'extra' folder mkext made things worse)

1.6.2a37 4outs 3ins analog regular headphone:

1.6.2a37 4outs 3ins digital HDA headphone:

1.6.2a37 3outs 2ins analog regular headphone:

1.6.2a37 3outs 2ins digital HDA headphone:

&

1.6.2a37 AppleHDA.kext from LS8v15 (Gigabyte board kext pkg):

All give same result:

-system profiler-

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 889

Available Devices: (none listed)

error is:

HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

Now for my questions......

The 1st is obviously most important...

1) Can anyone tell me where to fix the "pathMap"? (i've read the kings guide and others, but its over my head)...

2) Is it possible to use coax instead of optical? (this is more for convenience, as my stereo doesnt have enough optical inputs, but not critical)

3) Can i use the same kext for both analog & digital outs? (again, more for convenience)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated... I'm tired of banging my head on my desk....

Hi guys,

There's great work going on here! I've spent many days trying to get my 889a to work. I keep having the same issue. I'm hoping someone here can help. I have 2 of these motherboards, 1 desktop where i'd like 5.1 analog and 1 htpc that needs spdif.

info:

-GA-EP45-DS3L (ALC889a)

-currently using EFI-v9 (but also used chameleon 2 rc1 before i hosed my system)

-theres no SMBios resolvers etc in my 'extra' folder (only AppleDecrypt, CPUDisabler, OpenHaltRestart & network files)

-using AnV AppleSMBios.kext (33)

-modded AppleHDA.kext is being placed into S/L/E w/ HDAEnabler to keep things simple for now (using 'extra' folder mkext made things worse)

@d3t0x

GA-EP45-DS3L has Realtek ALC888, not ALC889a. For my understanding, any GA..w/DS3L UD3L UD3LR has ALC888.

post-93383-1240364891_thumb.jpg

try these files.

1.5.7a24 888.zip

1.6.2a37 888.zip

LOL !!!! OMG !!!!

I'm building the EP45-UD3P for a friend, that must be where i got 889a.

Well thanks man! I kinda feel like an idiot now, theres a few days i wont get back!

I should have caught that!!!

OK, I'll give it a try!

Thanks again!

edit: tmongkol, I owe a cold one my friend! I used the 1.6.2 version and 5.1 analog seems to work. However, after creating an aggregate audio device all channels work properly except for the subwoofer. The subwoofer (& test signal) comes out of my right & left channels and not the subwoofer. The result is unwanted distortion. Any ideas?

I'll verify the digital outs in the morning....

edit: tmongkol, I owe a cold one my friend! I used the 1.6.2 version and 5.1 analog seems to work. However, after creating an aggregate audio device all channels work properly except for the subwoofer. The subwoofer (& test signal) comes out of my right & left channels and not the subwoofer. The result is unwanted distortion. Any ideas?

I am also using a UD3P with a pre-packaged 10.5.6 install made over at anandtech by kaido. Getting this error which looks like the digital output error.

4/22/09 Apr 22 | 3:39: 20 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler

Trying to figure out which kext will work too... Or how to edit the HDA kext to get rid of the error anyway.

I am also using a UD3P with a pre-packaged 10.5.6 install made over at anandtech by kaido. Getting this error which looks like the digital output error.

4/22/09 Apr 22 | 3:39: 20 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler

Trying to figure out which kext will work too... Or how to edit the HDA kext to get rid of the error anyway.

akatsukix

"Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler"

I used to try to set pathmap without digial in/out and then I got this errors. I added NodeIDs of Digital In and this error was gone.

akatsukix

"Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler"

I used to try to set pathmap without digial in/out and then I got this errors. I added NodeIDs of Digital In and this error was gone.

Is there an explanation for how to do this somewhere?

tmongkol - wanted to say thanks again. the optical out seems to be working!

regarding the 5.1 analog....

any suggestions about the test signal for subwoofer (out #4) sending out the the right & left channels (out #1 & out #2) instead of its proper channel? does yours do this as well?

If you dont have time/cant help, i understand.

I'm going over 'the kings' guide again to see what i can try.

Tried it out... f'ed it up royally. Thanks for the pointer but I am definitely out of my depth at this point...

Nothing is ever simple... can't get an accurate codec dump from alsa in either Ubunty 8.10 or Mandriva 1. The alc889a shows up as an alc885 in both of them in the dump. Mandriva is using version 1.0.18rc3 which supposedly should be able to find the 889a and not have this problem, but there it is.

So I am really unsure how you were able to get codec dumps for the 889a chips.

tmongkol - wanted to say thanks again. the optical out seems to be working!

regarding the 5.1 analog....

any suggestions about the test signal for subwoofer (out #4) sending out the the right & left channels (out #1 & out #2) instead of its proper channel? does yours do this as well?

If you dont have time/cant help, i understand.

I'm going over 'the kings' guide again to see what i can try.

d3t0x

It's weird that testing subwoofer and sending out to front speakers. Could you test your speakers on Windows? I tested my subwoofer and it was OK.

Nothing is ever simple... can't get an accurate codec dump from alsa in either Ubunty 8.10 or Mandriva 1. The alc889a shows up as an alc885 in both of them in the dump. Mandriva is using version 1.0.18rc3 which supposedly should be able to find the 889a and not have this problem, but there it is.

So I am really unsure how you were able to get codec dumps for the 889a chips.

akatsukix

Gigabyte ALC889A is ALC885. You can see in Windows Properties, device id is 0885.

Which AppleHDA.kext did you install?

d3t0x

It's weird that testing subwoofer and sending out to front speakers. Could you test your speakers on Windows? I tested my subwoofer and it was OK.

akatsukix

Gigabyte ALC889A is ALC885. You can see in Windows Properties, device id is 0885.

Which AppleHDA.kext did you install?

I tried the both the 1.6.2a37 4-3 kexts - both of them still had the sound assertion line 2742 error, which is the digital out one from what i understand.

tried patching but couldn't get the codec dump to convert using the method described. Tried using Apple HDA Patcher 1.2 - that created a codec that didn't work at all.

Codec dump and modified kexts here: http://drop.io/8riadxx

Not quite sure what to do next.

I tried the both the 1.6.2a37 4-3 kexts - both of them still had the sound assertion line 2742 error, which is the digital out one from what i understand.

tried patching but couldn't get the codec dump to convert using the method described. Tried using Apple HDA Patcher 1.2 - that created a codec that didn't work at all.

Codec dump and modified kexts here: http://drop.io/8riadxx

Not quite sure what to do next.

akatsukix

I tested 1.6.2a37 4-3 kext on EP35-DS3P and EP45-UD3R. I didn't get the sound assertion of 2742. It may be because I am using AnV AppleSMBIOS.kext, see my signature (below).

d3t0x

OK, well after installing win-blows... same thing...

And, after poking around in the Klipsch forum, i found others asking the same question. The answer was that the crossover built into the speaker system is the cause of this. I would expect the crossover function to just drop the highs, not send them to other channels. Grrrrr...... I bought theses a couple years ago, so theres not much i can do now. Some things to look for next time around...

So I guess that makes a 2 beers i owe ya man!!!

I appreciate your help & prompt replies, and of course, thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all

Today's Friday 8 May 2009 @ 9:30 am.

I want to share my experience. I had tried to get 6ch outputs of GA-EP35-DS3P for 5 hours last night and it worked. It was not using aggregate devices. I will explain what I did.

First, I openned IORegistryExplorer to see all registries (that I did many times). I expanded Classes, see picture below.

post-93383-1241748091_thumb.jpg

I srolled down to see what they were. It showed me audio devices, see picture below.

post-93383-1241747942_thumb.jpg

And I scrolled down again until I saw DspFunc6ChOutput. It was interesting. I tried to search information how to on Google but nothing.

post-93383-1241748105_thumb.jpg

After that, I explored AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext to see which LayoutID had this function and I found LayoutID 70.

post-93383-1241749199_thumb.jpg

Then, I tried to edit LayoutID and PathmapID to be set to 8851, see attached file. I just copied SignalProcessing of LayoutID 70's IntSpeaker and patsed into LayoutID 8851 (item2 of my edited kext). I still don't know how to get numbers of SignalProcessing and what they are.

8851.zip

Keep in mind;

-- Layout and Pathmap must be related each other. My GA-EP35-DS3P's ALC889a is ALC885 (10EC0885). You may try other output functions.

-- Got only Stereo thru 6Ch., not 5.1.

-- I will not put this information on the first post.

I really want to know which MAC system is using LayoutID 70. I want to get a codec dump of ALC885 and it's inputs & outputs. If anyone can, I appreciate that.

Warning: When I started up my system, I heard annoying sound. So, I got to turn off my speakers. Or, if I unpluged my headphone, I heard the annoying sound one time. The sound was like sparking sound. This is for experiment only. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Like 2

Hey guys, well after a while i managed to get this showing..

Device ID:	0x1458A102
 Audio ID:	888
 Available Devices:
 Microphone:
 Connection:	Internal
 Microphone:
 Connection:	1/8 inch Jack
 Line In:
 Headphone:
 Speaker:
 Line Out:
 Line Out:
 Line Out:
 S/P-DIF Out:
 Connection:	Combo
 S/P-DIF In:

But there is still now sound whats so ever..

In system settings under sound it just tells me that no input devices found any ideas?

Mobo: GA-EP45-DS3R

Hey guys, well after a while i managed to get this showing..

Audio ID:	888
 Available Devices:
 Microphone:
 Connection:	Internal
 Microphone:
 Line In:
 Headphone:
 Speaker:
 Line Out:
 Line Out:
 Line Out:
 S/P-DIF Out:
 S/P-DIF In:

But there is still now sound whats so ever..

In system settings under sound it just tells me that no input devices found any ideas?

Mobo: GA-EP45-DS3R

GA-EP45-DS3R has ALC889A (0x10EC0885), not ALC888 (0x10EC0888). You got the wrong kext.

Could you point me in the right direction? since every kext i download and install.. just doesn't work for me.. i somehow achieved the sound bar to show up and to show it that i have audio.. but then killed it.. and i cant even remember which combination of kext's did the "trick"

Update.... somehow got it working didnt check all in's and outs yet.. but this is what i'm getting in properties

Audio ID:	12
 Available Devices:
 Microphone:
 Microphone:
 Line In:
 Headphone:
 Speaker:
 Line Out:
 Line Out:
 Line Out:
 S/P-DIF Out:
 S/P-DIF In:

As netkas said on his blog

Important notice, legacyhda may not work with newer applehda.kext from 10.5.7, you will need either make sure you legacyhda works with 10.5.7 or use applehda.kext from 10.5.6 (alc889a legacyhda from stickpin and friends need to be updated)

But even if i am using legacy HDA and 10.5.6 AppleHDA in S/L/E i don't get any sound :P ... And using AppleHDA and HDAenabler doesn't work either ... Since 10.5.7 update i can't find a way to get sound working i am just getting a blank sound icon on menubar and the sound preference pane remains blank too -_-

Did someone found a way to get alc889a working on 10.5.7 (without pop/cracking sound if possible) ?