[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

I purchased a Jetway Mini Barebones PC with the following motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813153131

..and it's been quite difficult to get it running.

At any rate, if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Like I said, I'm trying to get iATKOS but currently it says it's going to take two days. Apparently it's not a popular seed. :unsure:

Did you try the boot 132 file in the " D945GCLF2_driver_pack_v2.5.zip" that is linked to in the first post on this thread? maybe thats a stupid question.. but i have to ask.

this is my method:

1. Boot 132 + Retail 10.5 install

2. 10.5.6 combo update, manual install. Forced reboot

(Skip step 3 if you want to use S-video out)

3. Install video kexts + repair permissions & clear extension cache, reboot

4. Install System network and Audio Kexts & repair permissions and clear extension cache, reboot

5. Install bootloader: Chameleon-1.0.12.pkg

6. Run the fdisk command w/ osx86 tool and install eiff for chameleon reboot

7. OSX86Tools and enable QuartzGL.

8. repair permissions and clear extension cache... reboot

Did you try the boot 132 file in the " D945GCLF2_driver_pack_v2.5.zip" that is linked to in the first post on this thread? maybe thats a stupid question.. but i have to ask.

this is my method:

1. Boot 132 + Retail 10.5 install

2. 10.5.6 combo update, manual install. Forced reboot

4. Install System network and Audio Kexts & repair permissions and clear extension cache, reboot

5. Install bootloader: Chameleon-1.0.12.pkg

6. Run the fdisk command w/ osx86 tool and install eiff for chameleon reboot

7. OSX86Tools and enable QuartzGL.

8. repair permissions and clear extension cache... reboot

Hi and thanks for the response! I did use the boot 132 file in the "D945GCLF2_driver_pack_v2.5.zip" and the only way to get that to boot was using the cpus=1 flag. There doesn't seem to be any way around it! I even turned off hyperthreading in the BIOS and turned off "APIC" (not to be confused with ACPI) in the BIOS. The only way to get it to boot up was with that flag.

Even WORSE, I was able to get the iATKOS_5i installer (thank you Torrent Gods) and actually boot from it with no problem. I used the method that UnaClocker described in another thread (making the exact choices he did) and unfortunately, same problem -- system restarts immediately after "Starting Darwin." Of course, the bloody cpus=1 flag allows that method to work (even after updating to 10.5.6.)

So the end result is, indeed, there is something about the Jetway bios that is screwing everything up. This is SO puzzling to me as just about every aspect of the motherboard are the same as the Intel one (processor, chipset, sata/ide). The fact that the Foxconn 45CSX also works fine makes me think Jetway really went out of their way to screw this up!! (Of course I'm kidding -- I'm sure they'd just say OSX is not supported -- which they have every right to say!).

So my remaining questions to anyone that knows are:

1) What boot method/Kernal does the iATKOS_5i installer disc use? How do I keep THAT once I'm done installing so that I can have full Atom 330 processor dual core/hyperthreading ability (because clearly those WORK when booting from the disc before I start making choices and do the actual install)?

2) What is so different about my bios and the way that it handles OSX? I do note that I have choices for APIC Mode (Enable or Disable), MPS Version Control for OS (1.1 or 1.4), Hyperthreading (Enable/Disable), and Limit CPUID MaxVal (Enable or Disable). I suppose those choices are moot because whatever combination I have tried enabled/disabled (and believe me I have tried them ALL), the system won't boot unless I add that cpus=1 flag. Just listing them to display the full "wonders" of the Jetway bios. :unsure:

3) Why was I stupid enough to believe the Jetway mb would be no different than the Intel one and why do I continue to try and make it work? :(

Thanks again for the help!

Hi and thanks for the response! I did use the boot 132 file in the "D945GCLF2_driver_pack_v2.5.zip" and the only way to get that to boot was using the cpus=1 flag..........

Are you sure you dont just have a bad mother board? is it possible the the board is just only reading 1 core?

Did you try installing some recent version of windows just to see if it can read the dual core?

I buy off brand stuff a lot. its (usually) cheep but the 1 big drawback is the fail rate. i have had to exchange about 30% of the components i have purchased over the years. throw in the new part and it works fine.. in fact just today i received a replacement video card. old one had green trails and weird glitches, new one works just fine. you will have to pay to ship it back to newegg but its better than living on 1 core.

Are you sure you dont just have a bad mother board? is it possible the the board is just only reading 1 core?

Did you try installing some recent version of windows just to see if it can read the dual core?

I did consider that as a possibility at one point, but once I realized all cores/threads were showing up at initial boot of the MSIWindosx.iso and the iATKOS installs, I figured that it was something to do with the kernal.

...and sure enough, it DID. I just installed the latest Voodoo Kernel and everything now WORKS. WOAH. Tears of joy!

I booted into 10.5.6 using cpus=1, then I installed the Voodoo Kernel...rebooted...and it went right into 10.5.6 -- no cpus=1 required! JOY I say!!!!

About this Mac reports "Intel Core Duo" as the processor, System Profiler reports 2 Processors and 3 Cores (?), but most importantly, Activity Monitor correctly reports 4 processes (which is what I mainly care about at this point).

Take THAT Jetway bios....you....you...vanilla kernel killer!!! ;)

I still would have preferred a vanilla kernel install though. But I'll take what I can get. I'm not actually sure of the ramifications of using the Voodoo Kernel or what the future holds (software updates, etc.). I'll just sit tight with this and enjoy it for what it is!

Trying to get svideo to work I already tried that, and can confirm you get SVideo.

BUT: I keep getting kernel panics when I use Screen Sharing, so something isn't right.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Trying to get svideo to work I already tried that, and can confirm you get SVideo.

BUT: I keep getting kernel panics when I use Screen Sharing, so something isn't right.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

I get the Kernel panics as well. I was able to screen share 1 time in s-video, but i cant seem to be able to do it again, and the one time it did work vlc and quicktime would only display a black screen, completely defeating the purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just writing in to verify a working network fix:

I was having constant issues with dropped network connections, unreliable connections, and an inability to see any bonjour clients on the network. I went out and bought a HP wireless all-in-one printer and I was able to set it up using the driver, configure it for wireless networking, assign it an IP, Ping the IP, but no matter what was I able to detect the printer over the network from my Mac.

All I did to fix the problem was to install Pystar's R1000 network driver.

see this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=146849

Simply install it using osx86 tools, or just copy it into the extensions folder, repair permissions, and reboot.

I now have a completely stable networking driver that works with any and all bonjour clients.

This was installed on my D945GCLF2. YMMV on the D945GCLF, I don't have one to test.

I have some question..After install retail Mac OS X with boot 132, i have installed e chameleon package but still cannot boot up. On e screen it show "No bootable device etc" which i forget what is it.

In the end i must boot up with e Boot 132 :huh: , very troublesome. Is there any i do wrong? Btw what is fdisk command? is it a requirement during e installation.

PLs help me.

Cheers

should i get efi or chameleon bootloader for this board?

Chameleon works fine for me

I will get my board tomorrow, i downloaded the pack.

How can I install the kext when they are in a folder and not "packed"? The same way?

Cheers

use "osx86tools" click "install Kexts" select kext files and click choose. if u want you can put all the kext in the same DIR and select them all at once. just make sure to "repair Permissions" and "Clear Extensions Cache" before u reboot.. but some people have had problems doing all the kext at once.. best to do the video kext, repair and reboot then do the rest of the kext and repair and reboot

I have some question..After install retail Mac OS X with boot 132, i have installed e chameleon package but still cannot boot up. On e screen it show "No bootable device etc" which i forget what is it.

In the end i must boot up with e Boot 132 :( , very troublesome. Is there any i do wrong? Btw what is fdisk command? is it a requirement during e installation.

PLs help me.

Cheers

use os86tools utility. click "install EFI/Run FDISK"... click "Disk to use" drop down to select boot drive... click "EFI to Install" drop down and select "Chameleon EFI"... click "Run FDISK".. let it work .. then click "Install EFI".. let it work and reboot. it should boot with no cd now.

In the end i must boot up with e Boot 132 ;) , very troublesome. Is there any i do wrong? Btw what is fdisk command? is it a requirement during e installation

It sounds like you didn't do the fdisk step, which may be why you are having trouble booting without the boot132 CD. In my limited experience, Retail Leopard tends to be picky about what disk/partition it wants to boot from - typically it wants the first partition on the primary master HDD. The fdisk step "marks" your install partition as "OK" to boot.

Open a terminal. first, type

diskutil list

that should give you the layout of your drive(s) and partitions. Identify your install disk (typically disk0, but not always). We'll call that diskX. On that disk, identify your retail leopard partition, we'll call that Y (typically 1).

then, type

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

where X is the disk you identified in the previous step.

At the prompt, type

f Y

where Y is your partition number. note the space.

then type

write

answer y to the question and type

quit

That's it.

Has any one found a good program for playing MKVs on this setup? "XBMC for mac" will work but i dont want all the extra interface stuff. looking for something simple like vlc but that supports the hyper threading, and preferably no buffer like the perian/quicktime combo. Any ideas?

If you install Plex you can play the mkvs from the finder by right clicking(control-click) and choose "Open With", you don't have to use all the extra xbmc type library stuff. I normally use mplayer extended but it doesn't work so well with mkvs

Can someone please post the EFI string they are using for the GMA 950 on this board(D945GCLF2)? I'm having issues with a retail install using boot 321.

So I can get EFI+chameleon working using the munky install method everyone knows well to the point it doesn't require boot 321 disk but can't get drivers to load from the EFI partition (attempt to udated to chameleon 2.0RC1 failed miserably). I assume the overall issue is that they system can't Identify the UUID of the EFI partition (it actually gives me an error of 'can't get UUID') for some reason - a fix for this would be great!!! needless to say as you can tell by my first question of the post...video not working great.

I'll take suggestions but my goal is to have a completely native install with needed drivers ONLY on the EFI partition leaving the extensions folder of the system completely virgin. I think this will give me the closest to a real mac experience with respect to updating the system, time machine, etc.

install method retail disk 10.5.4 using boot 321, munky efi/chameleon method - working but no drivers/kexts supported from EFI partition (i've never gotten the kexts to load from the EFI partition on this board).

Can someone please post the EFI string they are using for the GMA 950 on this board(D945GCLF2)? I'm having issues with a retail install using boot 321.

So I can get EFI+chameleon working using the munky install method everyone knows well to the point it doesn't require boot 321 disk but can't get drivers to load from the EFI partition (attempt to udated to chameleon 2.0RC1 failed miserably). I assume the overall issue is that they system can't Identify the UUID of the EFI partition (it actually gives me an error of 'can't get UUID') for some reason - a fix for this would be great!!! needless to say as you can tell by my first question of the post...video not working great.

I'll take suggestions but my goal is to have a completely native install with needed drivers ONLY on the EFI partition leaving the extensions folder of the system completely virgin. I think this will give me the closest to a real mac experience with respect to updating the system, time machine, etc.

install method retail disk 10.5.4 using boot 321, munky efi/chameleon method - working but no drivers/kexts supported from EFI partition (i've never gotten the kexts to load from the EFI partition on this board).

i seeen a boot132 cd for that motherboard somewhere around here. the repository. if u get kexts from the .iso inside of it theres a .bin (i think.. forgot details how to grab kexts from file inside iso)

i seeen a boot132 cd for that motherboard somewhere around here. the repository. if u get kexts from the .iso inside of it theres a .bin (i think.. forgot details how to grab kexts from file inside iso)

So I have the boot 132 disc. I have the kexts from the disc. I've installed a retail version of OSX 10.5.4 via boot 132, then installed EFI-boot-v6.1 with chameleon and placed those kexts into /Volume/EFI/Extensions. After that I can boot my retail version without boot 132 disc in drive but sound doesn't work and GMA950 is stuck at low resolution without option to change.

once again can someone give me the EFI string for their GMA950 for this board?

Also does anyone have a solution to my 'can't get UUID' error that I think is preventing me from using the updated version of chameleon and preventing my system from functioning optimally?

Once again my goal is to have a completely native install with needed drivers ONLY on the EFI partition leaving the extensions folder of the system completely virgin.

googled and found

You need to go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and edit NetworkInterfaces.plist and add a new dict with the IEEE80211 config..

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en3</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/

IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

not sure this is the permanent fix i was hoping for as it'll probably be removed once I update but I'll try to put it in the EFI partition (i didn't make this or figure it out myself, found the solution on google on hackintosh.org website, can't remember the creators name to give credit but if you did this....thanks!)

terminal results of 'diskutil info disk0s1'

DiskManagementTool[417:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Just use the time machine fix from UInstaller or add the network card efi strings using OSX86 Tool...and it should fix it

Everything working perfectly except audio now like everyone else. Just so I don't try to reinvent the wheel, because it's a somewhat long process... has anyone tried to create a custom applehda.kext using a linux codec dump from this board with taruga's patching program? looking through the topics it seems everyone has just tried changing the deviceID in the kext and not making a custom kext unless i'm missing something. Am I right or wrong cause If I'm wrong I wont waste time trying to get this to work and chalk it up as a loss and just buy a StarTech ICUSBAUDIO 2 Channels USB stick and move on...

I'm posting the linux codec dump from the D945GCLF2 with ALC662 audio. i havent tested this yet but thought i would share it in case anyone wants to give it a try with taruga's appleHDA patcher. I dont' think this approach has been tried, most people have tried using prebuilt applehda.kexts or 'drivers' from other boards with the same audio set. post results if you beat me to testing it out...

D945GCLF2_ALC662.rtf