[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

I just want to say thanks to everyone in this therad, and especially to iSynapse. Order Summary

I just ordered the following from New Egg for $240 total ($267 shipped)

EDIT: make that $228. I just finalized the order today, then realized the case is now $12 cheaper. They said they didn't do price matching or guarantees and it's in their policy, but because it hadn't even been pulled yet they'd refund the $12 to my credit card :(

1 Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Retail

1 SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

1 SAMSUNG 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model TS-H653N - OEM

1 G.SKILL 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL5S-2GBSK - Retail

1 APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply - Retail

I should have it next week sometime. I can't wait to get this together and running. Great thread, keep it up guys!

@ reinstaller: i only get a B&W Screen, on a PVM1444 Broadcast Monitor that normal handle any Resolution (Pal, Secam, NTSC and NTSC4:43) is there any chance to set the YC out to Pal? What for dsdt did you use?

@ dqb: i only get a blue screen, when i remove the dsdt file from root, its boot normal, i used the stock .kexts

@ Bob: i get a non controled device, Digital Out, Line Input and intern Mic, but non off them worked.

I am Hopefull that any off you can help fix this, thanks for your work!

Nips, why you get a SO Dimm? You need a full 240 Dimm!

I'm using my build as a HTPC running Boxee.

It works alright with 720P videos but drops frames every now and then.

Rumours are saying that the new Mac Mini will run on an Nvidia Ion setup. (Atom 330 and Nvidia 9400.) That sounds pretty good to me but since I'm already halfway there I've been thinking about putting a graphics card in that PCI slot in the D945GCLF2.

What do you guys think about putting in a SPARKLE SP94GT512D2LHPP GeForce 9400 GT?

I read in another thread that people got integrated Geforce 9400 running with a vanilla install from one of the new Macbook disks.

I'd order one now to try out but I live in Canada and can't get one on NewEgg.ca yet.

You know what, I thought of that the other day then completely forgot about it. No Boxee doesn't do hardware H.264 decoding.

I guess the only way we're going to get a performance boost is with OpenCL in Snow Leopard. Theoretically the OS will tap into the GPU's processing power for general processing purposes.

Another option for more power in the same form factor (I know this isn't the right forum for this really) is the ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX, when it starts shipping.

Thanks for the great guide. I got mine up and running last night with your download and steps. Running 10.5.6 no problems now.

Would you consider making a UIinstaller plugin for this board?

I initially tried to make my own UIinstaller plugin to save me time using all the kexts from your archive and the DSDT dump in the archive but after I applied it (also selecting to install the Chameleon bootloader), my system wouldn't restart w/o the boot disc and safe mode (it would boot into a black screen with a mouse pointer but nothing else if booted normally).

I went back and did all the steps manually as outlined in your guide and it worked perfectly (I also needed to use the fdisk steps, which might be why my first attempt w/ UIinstaller failed to boot).

I think making a UIinstaller plugin would make the whole process super quick and simple especially for new users: I've used it on my Wind and another hackintosh with great ease and success. Sd you know, once you boot your retail install and get to the desktop you could use UIInstaller to simply apply all the kexts (drivers), EFI strings, graphics card string, Time machine fix, Chameleon bootloader in one step, and you're done (although I'm not sure if you still need the fdisk step - my attempt didn't work as noted above).

- Steve

ok, i reup my questions... I rememebered i didn't buy the pico psu. instead i bought the original 80W psu of the silver noah case...

As of now i'm running into a few things:

1)sleep problem--> when it goes into sleep it shutdowns, just like if i was to unplug the cord...

2)Restart works, Shutdowns once in a while won't work...

3)Front panel's USB works, but front panel audio won't.

Just when I thought all was well, I discovered that in actuality the network port does not seem to see any Bonjour clients. I can connect to the internet just fine, and I get a real DHCP address.

Interestingly, the PC network shares are seen (in fact even my MacPro's Windows network share shows up). I just can't get any of the other Macs (all real Macs) to show in the finder. In the Printer preferences, I can't see any of the Bonjour printers (which are all seen from the real Macs as well). Obviously w/o Bonjour networking I also can't share screens, etc.

I then remembered I had the SAME problem with my other hackintosh build using the Gigabyte DS3L: it was a driver issue, and using a modified Realtek K1000 driver (yes I know ours is RTL8169) and voila! it all works normally now. Printer finding, Mac shares, screen sharing all via normal Mac Bonjour!

I'm happy again.

Now: I'm noticing the Display prefs shows only one resolution (the one I set using the EFI string) -- is there a way to reenable all the possible resolutions? I'm planning to move this machine to another location once tweaked.

- Steve

does installation work with an ide dvd drive or do i have to use a sata one?

Yes it does.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, especially iSynapse, for making troubleshooting this installation relatively pain free.

Hi All,

I got my system up and running yesterday.

I am running the following:

D945GCLF2

2GB Kingston DDR2 533 MHz DIMM

HD 1: 2.5" 320GB 7200 WesterDigital SATA

HD 2: 3.5" 1TB WD Green

Black Noah 3988 Mini-ITX

It's a pretty cool little system but it's a bit under powered. I was hoping to build a system to use with Boxee and although this works it's not perfect.

Couple of question.

Is there anyway to get an apple remote to work with this machine? Or is there a decent alternative?

Also I am running this through a 24" LCD and it can't display the optimum resolution of 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz, I can get pretty much every other resolution than the one I need. Is there anyway to sort this?

cheers

Hi, help needed !!!

I used your magic tutorial and resources yesterday and everything worked just fined except that I must have done something wrong.

I can boot up the box without the boot123 CD but the screen remains black with a mouse cursor I can move. The box is up because I'm able to ssh this machine and log in.

My mobo is a D945GCLF2 with both sata hd and dvd. I must have done something wrong with kext or EFI but as this box is my very first hackintosh, I'm stucked without knowing what to do.

I installed every kext from your package via the oxs86 GUI, installed chameleon, activated the partition via fdisk and used osx86 for EFI conf.

What did I do wrong

OK, I guess I did not search the forum the right way !!!

I just found this topic which seems to explain my mistake

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=#entry1017796

Regards,

Laurent

@funstuie: if you want an apple remote you need an infrared port, but i suggest to buy a bluetooth dongle (worth 5€) and use salling clicker with your bluetooth phone, it's just amazing...for example you can choose what movie play just seeing the list on your phone..works with eyetv, vlc, quicktime and front row too (and a bunch of other apps).

I see we have the same case & psu, do you have working sleep and front panel audio?

@funstuie: if you want an apple remote you need an infrared port, but i suggest to buy a bluetooth dongle (worth 5€) and use salling clicker with your bluetooth phone, it's just amazing...for example you can choose what movie play just seeing the list on your phone..works with eyetv, vlc, quicktime and front row too (and a bunch of other apps).

I see we have the same case & psu, do you have working sleep and front panel audio?

I have had a look around and apparently remote buddy works with the MS eHome receiver. I have one of those from my mce2005 setup and I have an old Apple remote. So I am going to give that a try.

Anyone got an idea on the resolution problem?

I have 10.5.6 up and running but has anyone figured out how to get the CPU to read correctly in system profiler? Mine also shows 4ghz 2 cores

I am also seeing my screen go black like once every 10 min for just a second then comes back and everything is working fine. Any idea what this might be or what I should try to fix it? I tried changing my refresh rate higher and lower but still same thing. I am running 1400x1050 @60mhz

hi ive been working on this for a couple of weeks and i still cant get the sound to work azalia doesnt work and nothing else does either i have the D945GCLF2 board with ide hd and dvdrw drive i used the xxx 10.5.6 disk

IM SOOO STUCK

please helpp!!!!

So I finally got all my parts and put the D945GCLF2 together.

Here's what i did following some of the posts on the board:

Install 10.5.4 retail using boot-132

Go through setup (enter user name, etc).

At desktop, install video kexts using osx86tools.

Repair permissions, clear cache using osx86tools.

Reboot.

this is about 1/2 way through the steps, and on reboot I get a black screen with a cursor, nothign else. I was able to boot into safe mode without too much of a problem, and from there I tried re-installing video and the rest of the drivers. When I boot up again, I get the black screen once more.

I wiped the partition and am reinstalling now, and am going to grab the 10.5.6 combo update from apple first and go that route.

Any other suggestions how to get around the black screen issue?

This is what u need. [ Download ]

Thanks that got the About Mac to read correctly but the system profiler still shows 4ghz. I guess that really doesn't make much of a dif...

So only 1 issue right now that I would love to fix and that is sleep. It goes into sleep fine but when I try to wake it up it sounds like it is coming up but I get no video output. Just shows no signal. I tried the venial kernel and also the 9.4 with sleep and same thing happens.

Shutdown and Restart work fine.