[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

Glad its moving in the right direction.

I also had to do a force reboot after the update. I did not have to force reboot while repairing permissions. I think it took 10 or 15 minutes, I just let it go until it was done. Also, after installing Chameleon, you should not need the boot-132 disk anymore. As for the ethernet, I have no idea. Mine worked out-of-box.

As far as the sleep problem, I can see from your pix in the "cube" thread that you are using a pico psu. Have you seen this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...623&st=637#

Someone on the linked ubuntu forum thread has actually modified the PSU to fix the problem themselves...

I checked it out, and it seemed to make perfect sense. Actually though, my Pico was made after August. I after having a bit of trouble in terms of display resolutions, I wiped all of the kexts and reinstalled them from the v2.5 pack. I guess I missed something the first time around because Sleep works no problem now. I can say though that on the D945GCLF, sleep does not work out of the box, and neither does the network. Either way, everything's working now and the only problem is minor minor minor occasional artifacts on the screen. They don't happen enough to bother my wife, and she's in Photoshop all the time.

Photoshop, BTW, runs just fine of this machine (CS3)

I'd like to thank iSynapse and the mega-contributors on this site in advance. I've been leary about this whole OSX86 thing, due to my tech naivety. That is, until this forum's post...I have a question before I start my work on this project. There's a gent down the road selling this system, If any1 could tell me if this is compatable with iSynapse's tutorial, I'd sure appreciate it! Keep up the great work, I'm your newest fan!

--------------------------------------------------------

Processor Dual Core Intel Atom N330 1.6Ghz

Motherboard Intel 945GC Express Chipset

Memory 2GB DDR2 667Mhz SDRAM

Graphics Intel GMA 950

Hard Drive 500GB Seagate SATA II HDD (ST3500320AS) (3.0 Gb/s)

Sound Card 6 Channel High Definition Audio

Optical Drive None (can be added - slot available in case)

Chassis Slim Mini ITX

I/O Ports Up to 8x USB 2.0

Power Supply 250W

Hello All,

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for all the great information. I was able to get my d945gclf2 motherboard up and running with a retail install. My other hardware is an LG sata dvd burner and a seagate sata hard drive.

Big Thanks to iSynapse for the boot 132 image , driver + tools package, and instructions. This is the thread for d945gclf2 owners. It has everything you need to know summarized to save a lot of time and get an install working right away.

Thank you to Aargh-a-knot for sharing his experience and information. I followed his more detailed steps to get my install working flawlessly. Mentioning the fdisk command and dragging the OSX86 tools to the desktop for the EFI string helped tremendously :unsure: Also, the instruction regarding the black screen and video kext driver helped as well as the repairing permissions and clearing extension cache.

Here is what I did to get mine working:

1. Boot 132 + Retail 10.5.4 install

2. 10.5.6 combo update, manual install. Forced reboot

3. Install video kexts + repair permissions and clear extension cache, reboot

4. Install System and Audio Kexts + repair permissions and clear extension cache, reboot

Note: If I install all the kexts at once, my monitor would not get detected, this is why I installed them separately

5. Install bootloader

6. I did not patch using the DSDT patcher gui

7. Run the fdisk command

8. Add ethernet EFI string using OSX86 tools, reboot

9. Install is working great :unsure:

Time Machine works, I am able to change resolution just fine, I can play World of Warcraft ( it is playable, not enjoyable) , and the machine sleeps just fine.

Time machine also works great through migration assistant after a fresh install. I just wish it was possible through the install disc.

Thanks again all!

^MrEfini,

Glad my verbosity was actually of use to somebody...

You know, it's funny because after I had made the comment about dragging OSX86Tools to the desktop, I thought "well that was dumb, I should have just told him to right click it and choose 'keep in dock'.."

...but then, I was re-installing on my MSI Wind with boot-132, and I tried that way and got an error saying "can't find file Desktop/OSX86Tools" or something like that. Dragging the app to the desktop actually fixed it and let me proceed. I usually keep OSX86Tools in my Apps/Utilities folder for post install use, and have never had a problem with it there.

All I can say is ??

Sometimes we learn a lot from our mistakes.

I've done that like MrEfini and also I've optimized my system a bit using MacPilot. Everything works fine exept sound - I'm using Azalia. Nevertheless, i have that stupid video artifacts while using heavy applications like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. Does anyone know gow to kill them?

MacPilot - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/syst...s/macpilot.html

Also, I've used Taruga patcher to get alc662 working. I've got something, but this is not a what i want. So, after this operation System Preferences tool can see all inputs/outputs and System Info can show something about this audio card. But actually sound does not work(

Sorry, can't give any pictures, cause i've done that long time ago. I don't want to do that again. Good luck!

I have a question to everybody who using this mobo. How many artifacts do you "collect" while using the machine? For expamle, i attached screenshot of photoshop launching process. I was moving cursor like red arrows showing. Cursor was changing from "WaitingWeel" to normal arrow and otherwise. So, the main idea is that cursor leave his old version on the place where he changed. I have an idea - make the cursor static eveytime. Make it unchangeble. But I have a question - how to do it?

Also, I found this thread. But really, i didn't catch the idea.

Final solution (FIX) for GMA950 Desktop edition

post-328860-1231272267_thumb.png

Just another FYI,

I hadn't done the EFI strings on my Media Server, because I wasn't planning on using Time Machine. Well, I just tried to do a backup using SuperDuper!, and kept getting an error that said "unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"

So, I went ahead and did the EFI Strings, and lo and behold, SuperDuper! is working as it should now.

;)

Hi again! I discovered one interesting thing. Try to boot with your boot-132 disk in safe mode (type -x when booting). There are not any artifacts at all!

That's because you're not using the video driver, you're using the stock VGA driver - no QE/CI.

Patrick

Hello.

Just wanted to say everything is working great. Thanks to all for your tips.

I followed the steps you recomended:

1. Boot 132 + Retail 10.5.4 install

2. 10.5.6 combo update, manual install. Forced reboot

3. Install video kexts + repair permissions and clear extension cache, forced reboot after no disk activity

4. Install System and Audio Kexts + repair permissions and clear extension cache, reboot

5. Install bootloader

6. I did not patch using the DSDT

7. Run the fdisk command (nothing happens if you just press p, you have to hit enter, it's a command)

8. Add ethernet EFI string using OSX86 tools, reboot ( this one didn't work automaticly, so i had to enter the HEX string manualy ).

9. Boot working. And even dual boot with the F8 key pressed during the boot.

And one more thing, might help someone. If i didn't manualy update to 10.5.6, i always got the black screen after i applied the graphics kexts.

Here's a pic of my finished build:

There's more pics and info on my blog.

Check it out!

:pirate2:

This is very nice. The case sold with 110/230V PSU (i am from EU, and the EU standard is 230V)?

Can you/or anyone else post xbench results?

p.s: where i can buy that sexy hackintosh sticker?

SFME

Hi guys, first a HUGE THANKS to you all! I've just finished instaling my hackmini and it's all thanks to you. Anyway i came accros several problems following install guide but fixed them, and now the machine is sweet. I installed retail 10.5.1 and updated o 10.5.6 via auto updater then instaled all kexts, chameleon, efi etc. Everything OOB, even Bluetooth (i attached a mini usb bluetooth dongle during install and it simply worked).

As of now i'm running into a few things:

1)sleep problem--> when it goes into sleep it shutdowns, just like if i was to unplug the cord...

2)Restart works, Shutdowns once in a while won't work...

3)Front panel's USB works, but front panel audio won't.

@adriankoooo: xbench here is around 53 d945gclf2_test.txt

Ok i'm stupid, i now see the other post for the pico psu problem...

Hi guys, first a HUGE THANKS to you all! I've just finished instaling my hackmini and it's all thanks to you. Anyway i came accros several problems following install guide but fixed them, and now the machine is sweet. I installed retail 10.5.1 and updated o 10.5.6 via auto updater then instaled all kexts, chameleon, efi etc. Everything OOB, even Bluetooth (i attached a mini usb bluetooth dongle during install and it simply worked).

As of now i'm running into a few things:

1)sleep problem--> when it goes into sleep it shutdowns, just like if i was to unplug the cord...

2)Restart works, Shutdowns once in a while won't work...

3)Front panel's USB works, but front panel audio won't.

@adriankoooo: xbench here is around 53 d945gclf2_test.txt

Ok i'm stupid, i now see the other post for the pico psu problem...

Thank you!

I used OcciJano's DSDT.aml in this post - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1031871

And the stock 10.5.6 kexts in this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143340

and now I have no screen artifacts anymore, even in places where I had them before. Screen rotation shows up in displays, System Profiler reports that Core Image is hardware accelerated and QE is supported.

Could someone confirm they are able to get the following resolutions 1366 x 768 or 1440 x 900? I would be pairing this board with an LCD

thanks

Yes, I can confirm 1440x900 on a 17" small lcd screen. I don't see 1366x768, did you mean 1360x768? That one is working as well. These are only available after the video kexts are installed of course.

Regarding Realtek ALC662 sound codec, one of my Asus mainboards (the P5WDH Deluxe) uses the ALC662 codec, which works perfectly with the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and also can be easily patched for full 5.1 surround support by just dragging ALC662.txt [attached] onto Taruga's AppleHDApatcher v1.20 (should be able to find Taruga's patcher here in the forum or using Google.

See attached codec dumpfile or try here and here too.

See here

" Audio: Realtek* ALC662 audio codec (5.1 channel HD audio) (For the moment I didn`t found any kext that would work with this sound card. All kext found for this model worked without sound. ATM I`m using Azalia. If someone has a working driver for ALC662 for D945GCLF2 please post it here) "

Also just found this board cheap in the UK - see here

Finally, for users with different Realtek ALCxxx codecs, try THIS) link to other codec dump text files (under the Realtek section ALC662.txt is missing - see attached file.)

alc662.txt