[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

I have Asus M50vm-B4. i did the whole retail patch thing. no luck, i get stuck on the white and grey apple logo screen without any spinning spores. The reatial dvd stops spinning and if you want to wait all day you could but nothing will happen.

OK, first of all I'd like to thank iSynapse for taking the time to make this guide, as well as everyone else for the fine work they're doing.

Now my problem is this:

I've built my machine with a D945GCLF2, 2 gigs of Crucial RAM, an 80 gig SATA 2.5" HDD stripped off my MacBook and a Pioneer slim SATA DVD/RW.

I downloaded this guide and burned the boot-132 iso on a CD, then proceeded to boot from it.

Now when I swap my Leopard DVD into the drive and have it boot I get a few flashes of the classic grey screen + Apple logo and the machines immediately resets.

I googled this and found some people with other boards have been using Boot-132 ISOs custom made for their board (which I assume is also the case for iSynapse's ISO), however I could not find any info on this problem regarding the board in question.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

has anyone updated using software update to 10.5.7 yet? it was just released today and i built this system for my sister...would like to have an idea if this is gonna crash her 'mini'. i did a retail install only with DSDT for gma950....thanks

10.5.7 boots up with cpus=1 for me

else: uhohx.th.jpg

(kernel panic: "Should have 2 Cores, but only found 1 for Die 0")

Fresh 10.5.0 retail install with Boot 132 + 10.5.7 combo update.

I am getting the same error. I'm trying to go back as I type this.

I have this board, and last night installed the update - of course I get the same kernel panic as is posted - kind of a bummer.

I'm using a retail 10.5.6 installation disk - uefi/refit install - no chameleon. - Same error.

I thought it might be the machine identifier as mine is set to Mac Pro (its looking for more cores than I have) but nope.

thats not it.

Kind of stopped this machine dead in its tracks hey.

Same error here, i guess we need a fix :)

Hey everyone,

I just picked one of these up this week and updated to 10.5.7 today as well.. While there may be a better fix - to atleast get things running again go into your BIOS and disable hyperthreading

This isnt the best solution as it will impact performance some - but its better than disabling the 2nd core by using cpus=1.

Hope this helps, still haven't found a better fix and I've spent an hour on it tonight.

...when I swap my Leopard DVD into the drive and have it boot I get a few flashes of the classic grey screen + Apple logo and the machines immediately resets...

Anyone have some idea on what I could do about this?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Boot with -v and report where it stops...

Patrick

OK. I managed to record it with my cell phone as it boots. I've attached two images.

It appears to be booting, then (with -v) it prints out a bunch of messages and the last batch is seen on the first picture.

Then the screen flashes, and the text on the second picture appears so briefly (like a 1/8th of a second) you can only tell there's text. The machine immediately resets after that.

PS: Sorry for the crappy image quality and not actually typing the text to make it easier but most of it is blur and I've no idea what it would read like (though someone more experienced with this would).

post-426179-1242324908_thumb.png

post-426179-1242324920_thumb.png

Hi Guys,

I have a "clean" retail OS X Server Installation and sure had the same problems. Booting with cpus=1 does work, but I found out that then USB is crippled to 12 MBit (USB 1.1). My Elgato EyeTV Stick left no room for speculation and gave a precise error before it stopped working.

Thanks to fuka it now works again. Disabling hyperthreading is the much better cure. At least for now.

But what are we going to do next?

Is hyperthreading actually used in any real macs?

So there is a bit of a performance loss by dropping out HT, not very noticeable in just running apps.. compression / any integer work will possibly see about a 20% increase in time.

I ran some test benchmarks in my uEfi install before I junp into .7 - results are here:

With HT

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/134698

Without HT

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/134703

more to come.

10.5.6 RETAIL INSTALLATION

Working on 10.5.7 - dropping the hyperthreading currently works with the combo update as mentioned before in this thread

New installation method - Proper DSDT.aml file built specifically for the 945GCLF2 motherboard

Hey folks.. I've got a new way to install here for you - at this link http://rapidshare.com/files/233285517/945gclf2_new.rar.html

you will find an install kit for uEFI for this motherboard.

Inside the package is a specific to the 945gclf2 dsdt.aml file, a bootsector kit, and all the files you

should have on your flash key.

Note this install does NOT use chameleon at all. No modified kernels and must be installed from a

retail installation disk (meaning no ideneb, kalyway,etc )

Apple Installation disk only !

Download the archive - you must get it to a working windows computer as the bootsector/flash key

boot enabler must be run there.

Unarchive the file, inside you will find the Bootsector app, Kext Helper B7, the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

and the New 945GCLF2 Install Kit.zip

First, get a flash key, min 32 megs - pop it in your windows computer so its recognized

- note the drive letter, e: d: f: whatever it is.

Copy the bootsector directory to your desktop

Go into CMD, cd to the Desktop\bootsector\ directory type at the prompt

makeusb.bat [drive letter] ie: makeusb.bat f: [enter]

This will format the flash key and make the usb drive bootable.

You must unplug / replug the USB key to work properly before you copy the 945gclf2 files to it!

next, unzip the New 945GCLF2 Install kit to the freshly formatted flash key

so that efi, extra kext, kext unused folders and the files including DSDT.aml are in the root.

Put that flash key into a free usb port on the 945gclf2

go into bios, set your boot order to ' always boot from usb devices first ' (cant remember off the top

of my head, but its in the boot menu)

Have your installation disk in the drive

Boot up, you'll see a cursor for a few seconds, then a bar moving from left to right across the bottom

of the screen - saying ' hit any key to enter setup' dont, just sit and wait a moment

You now get a really nice graphical rEFIt screen, showing your drive to boot from - select the install

disk.. follow through with a normal retail installation.

Note - proper resolution, QE/CI is already enabled, you will see a ton of scrolling text - this is because

I have the loader set in verbose mode in case there are any problems - we will change this later.

Once the installation is complete, the computer will automatically restart - select the installed

OSX hd icon in rEFIt - this will boot you to the welcome screen..

After you hit the desktop - copy over AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and the RealtekR1000.kext

(which is located on the usb drive in Kext Unused) and install them using Kext Helper - reboot

You will now have full audio out, qe/ci, proper resolution with resolution change, bonjour as

well as Real Time Clock, Hpet (sleep, shutdown, restart) 945 GMA 950 Graphics and Gigabit

ethernet with Bonjour enabled.

Have fun.

Special thanks to Stellarolla and the guys behind the rEFIt project

Cheers,

Onetrack.

link updated - re-uploaded to RS

Col. Tigh,

Does this new method allow you to update to 10.5.7 without having to disable hyperthreading?

At this point no. It's possible you could try using the kernel from 10.5.6 to see if that allows the use of HT.

Col. Tigh,

Does this new method allow you to update to 10.5.7 without having to disable hyperthreading?

I have not tested as yet.

I had this installed with nearly the same install method and the other dsdt, failed..

will try this soon.. would like to resolve it.

usbbs32.bin is missing in the File so it wont work!

Format H: ...
Create boot sector ...
ERROR: Read DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
ERROR: Write DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
ERROR: Write MBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
Could Not Find C:\Users\Beklyn\Desktop\945gclf2_new\bootsector\usbbs32.bin
Done.
RePlug device before using it!

@Onetrack: I was hoping to try your method but it seems the file can no longer be downloaded from rapidshare.

I updated the RS link and there are 2 mirrors now courtesy of Beklyn

usbbs32.bin is missing in the File so it wont work!

Format H: ...
Create boot sector ...
ERROR: Read DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
ERROR: Write DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
ERROR: Write MBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
Could Not Find C:\Users\Beklyn\Desktop\945gclf2_new\bootsector\usbbs32.bin
Done.

If you use the trailing slash you'll get this error - remove the trailing slash and it'll create the bootable usb

wrong way f: is just an example here as it is what my flashkey shows up as

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector>makeusb.bat f:\

Format f:\ ...

Create boot sector ...

error E2003: File was not provided!

ERROR: Read DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x3)!

ERROR: Read MBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x3)!

Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector\usbbs3

2.bin

Done.

right way

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector>makeusb.bat f:

Format f: ...

Create boot sector ...

Read DBR: successful!

Patching FAT32 BPB: successful!

Write DBR: successful!

Write MBR: successful!

Done.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector>

MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG / REPLUG THE USB KEY IN BEFORE YOU COPY ALL OF THE 945GCLF INSTALL KIT FILES TO IT

You'll know this is working if it boots from the key and you get a flashing cursor in the middle of the screen, if you

see one in the top left corner of the screen you forgot to unplug/replug before copying files

• Like 1