[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

Is there anyway to get an apple remote to work with this machine? Or is there a decent alternative?

If you have an iTouch device, there is a great app called "Snatch" that I use as my Plex remote. I tried out Boxee and it works great for that too. I made a video showing how Plex and Snatch work together. Check it out HERE.

I'm up and running without any problems. 1900x1200, no artifcats, qe/ci enabled. QuartzGL enabled, everything is great.

However, I have no sound. I installed all of the kexts from the package, and I downloaded VLC to see how it would handle a divx video, however i get no sound output at all.

Any ideas on next steps?

I'm up and running without any problems. 1900x1200, no artifcats, qe/ci enabled. QuartzGL enabled, everything is great.

However, I have no sound. I installed all of the kexts from the package, and I downloaded VLC to see how it would handle a divx video, however i get no sound output at all.

Any ideas on next steps?

Try using this. [ Download ]

@iSynapse: Thanks. right before I got this I figured maybe I missed the azalia kext install when I installed everything using osx86tools, so I went ahead and re-installed only that kext using the tool, voila, I have a working volume control slider and sound out.

Also, thanks for your guide, it completely inspired me to get this system and I'm so glad I did. This little mac is awesome, especially now that sound works :(

I guess the major missing piece here is the ALC662 audio. I've been reading the guides for the codec extraction, and how to extract the codes from the codec dump, so I think I might take a shot at the 662 audio piece here and see what I can come up with.

What did you install to get the 1900x1200? I have a 28" LCD that does 1920x1200 but I don't have that option. Did you have to edit something to get this option or is there a different video driver I should install?

I have been getting some errors that make me reboot the computer when I try to install something. It seems to always happen after the download is done and it shows that it is "mounting image."

I tried to install 2 different screenshot apps SnapNDrag and Copernicus and they both gave me the same message (See attached)

I also got this message when trying to install PLEX.

However I was able to install VLC and Office 2008 for Mac...

FWIW: I did not do a full retail install but used iPC_OSx86_10.5.6.

I also was having problems with sleep and so I reinstalled the OS with the 9.4 sleep kernel. Is there a way to revert back to the stock kernel? I know I could just reinstall... Sorry if the questions or problems are dumb I am kinda new to this hack-a-mac world and need a little help. :)

post-347837-1232679748_thumb.jpg

I used OcciJano's DSDT.aml in this post - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1031871

And the stock 10.5.6 kexts in this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143340

and now I have no screen artifacts anymore, even in places where I had them before. Screen rotation shows up in displays, System Profiler reports that Core Image is hardware accelerated and QE is supported.

Thanks for that fella, following the install of those my resolution is now sorted and it looks a lot better.

I have been getting some errors that make me reboot the computer when I try to install something. It seems to always happen after the download is done and it shows that it is "mounting image."

I tried to install 2 different screenshot apps SnapNDrag and Copernicus and they both gave me the same message (See attached)

I also was having problems with sleep and so I reinstalled the OS with the 9.4 sleep kernel. Is there a way to revert back to the stock kernel? I know I could just reinstall... Sorry if the questions or problems are dumb I am kinda new to this hack-a-mac world and need a little help. :huh:

Dude y do u bother installing a hacked version of osx on a board that fully supports the retail...non sense....

Download the guide and the drivers read the entire thread..install the retail and u shouldn`t have any problems...

I'd like if possible to use a PS2 keyboard, but when I installed the PS2 package last time the system refused to boot afterwards, even if I tried doing so using the boot-132 CD.

Is there a workaround for this?

I had problems as well with the whole ps2 thing. I have a ps2 keyboard, and a usb mouse with a usb-to-ps2 adapter. When I boot, I have to have both the mouse and keyboard attached as ps2 or the machine has problems, but then the mouse and keyboard don't work. Here is the solution!

Here's my perfect install method:

1. do a motherboard firmware update, as found on the Intel website.

2. download the awesome pack iSynapse prepared for us, and burn the boot123 iso onto cd-rom

3. download these PS2 kexts ( http://www.sendspace.com/file/ht3v94 ), and also the 10.5.6 combo update ( http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL754/M...Combo10.5.6.dmg ) and copy them along with the rest of iSynapse's file onto a usb stick.

4. Boot from Boot132 , and swap cd's to do a Retail 10.5.4 install. Have both the mouse and keyboard plugged into ps2. If the mouse doesnt work after you have entered the installer, unplug the mouse from the ps2 adapter and use usb. Important: dont enter an administrator password yet!!

5. Alway reboot using ps2 mouse and keyboard, swapping the mouse over to usb if it doen't work. As you haven't entered a admin password you can click to log-in with just the mouse :) Copy all the files from the usb stick onto the desktop and do the 10.5.6 combo update you downloaded. The reboot after the update will crash the machine, so after about 5 minuter, do a hard reset.

6. After reboot (use ps2 again!) Install video kexts and both ps2 kext's I linked too. Don't install the ps2 fix from iSynapse's package, they messed up my system so I couldn't reboot. Then repair permissions and clear extension cache, forced reboot after no disk activity

7. Your ps2 mouse and keyboard should work perfectly now! yay! Install System and Audio Kexts + repair permissions and clear extension cache, reboot

8. Install the bootloader

9. Run the fdisk command from iSynapes guide (nothing happens if you just press p, you have to hit enter, it's a command)

10. Add ethernet EFI string using OSX86 tools, and reboot into OSX 10.5.6 bliss....

Dude y do u bother installing a hacked version of osx on a board that fully supports the retail...non sense....

Download the guide and the drivers read the entire thread..install the retail and u shouldn`t have any problems...

Because i have not had any luck finding the retail version that I was able to burn... I shall keep searching and try again

Yes, the board supports the retail, but my DVD drive does not: it's a slot loading drive with no "eject" button, so I can't insert the retail DVD once I have booted from the boot CD. I would love to try your retail method with this board - I have 10.5.4 retail - but my DVD drive prohibits it. Any suggestions?

I also was having problems with sleep and so I reinstalled the OS with the 9.4 sleep kernel. Is there a way to revert back to the stock kernel? I know I could just reinstall... Sorry if the questions or problems are dumb I am kinda new to this hack-a-mac world and need a little help. :D

Hi, you can install (Voodoo Kernel) may be can fix your problem.

Here is the codec dump for the sound card. I made it using a live Ubuntu distro.

Be my guest to try it out. Hope it works

dump.txt

Let me know if it worked. Good luck

Just a heads up, according to the main thread on patching AppleHDA, apparently ubuntu codec dumps weren't reliable and they recommended using mandriva because they matched 100% of the time. I'm attaching a dump from Mandriva as well.

BTW, I patched AppleHDA with taruga's 1.20 patcher and had no luck. I have the tutorials on how to manually patch and plan on doing it as soon as I have the time, but I don't know when that will be, it could be weeks, so if someone can do it before me I'd be ecstatic.

file.txt

I'm working on trying to use the drivers that are with this pack to install retail on the D945GCLF. Just finished a fresh 10.5.0 install, networking doesn't work, neither does sound or the PS2 ports. Other then that can anyone tell me why I would want to install the kexts in the "System" folder of this pack?

Edit: No amount of kexts could get PS2 to work, tried every .kext I could find (3 the one in the package, and the two from the "How to: Mice and Keyboards")

Got the ethernet on the D945GCLF working using this. Getting kernel panics when I try to VNC in using Jaadu on my iPod Touch. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Updated to 10.5.6 using the combo updater, first reboot huge at a gray screen and second reboot after that it worked.

Still working on sound.

Sound works using the sound kext included in the package.

Installed Chameleon and patched with the DSDT patcher, ejected the boot 132 CD and it wouldn't boot, but I haven't installed any of the "system" kexts yet. I'll install those 1 by 1 and see what works and what kills the system.

Installing the system kexts makes it so that the system will boot without the boot 132 CD.

First I would like to thank iSynapse for creating this thread and putting the package together. Also thanks for all he other contributors for the helpful hints.

I'm building my machine and will be using this motherboard with a retail Leopard 10.5.0 DVD. I do have a couple of question before I venture down the installation path though:

- I'd like to run as high of a resolution as possible. Should I install all the kexts in the video folder? If so, do they need to be installed in any particular order?

- Should all the kexts in the system folder be installed? Do they need to be installed in any particular order?

Also, is a reboot necessary after OSX86Tools installs each kext file?

Thanks for your help.

First I would like to thank iSynapse for creating this thread and putting the package together. Also thanks for all he other contributors for the helpful hints.

I'm building my machine and will be using this motherboard with a retail Leopard 10.5.0 DVD. I do have a couple of question before I venture down the installation path though:

- I'd like to run as high of a resolution as possible. Should I install all the kexts in the video folder? If so, do they need to be installed in any particular order?

- Should all the kexts in the system folder be installed? Do they need to be installed in any particular order?

Also, is a reboot necessary after OSX86Tools installs each kext file?

Thanks for your help.

I used the non-dual core version of this board but I installed all the kexts in the video folder at once using osx86 tools, Set extensions permissions and cleared the extensions cache also using osx86 tools then rebooted. After that I installed the system kexts and Set extensions permissions and cleared the extensions cache and rebooted after that. Order shouldn't matter if you install all of the video kext or system kext at once.

@gemini: do as conlan says after software update to 10.5.6 (or use combo update). ATM i'm working at 1680x1050@60hz of resolution on a 22" lcd monitor, maybe a higher resolution is possible.

If you get artifacts on the screen try OcciJano' s DSDT.aml and than install these video kexts Stock kext 10.5.6.

I now have full resolution change, QE, CI and rotation! -->and a beer and a big thank for this goes to dqb (and dr.Hurt of course).

bye

Could you upload the drivers?

I am stuck at the black screen with cursor.

I am having this issue as well. What did you have to do to fix it? I have tried to use the installer and also tried to install the video kext files with Osx86 Tools. I keep getting the same thing, black screen with cursor. I have tried this about 10 times now and same thing. I can get into safe mode fine.

PS this is with Retail 10.5.4

Boot into safe mode using -X at the boot menu.

Go into System/Library/Extensions and REMOVE the AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin file. Go into OSX86Tools and turn on QuartzGL. Reboot.

I'm running 1900x1200 on a 24" dell monitor. No artifacts.

TSurge, why are you not at 10.5.6?

Run the combo update, reboot, then re-install all the kexts (EXCEPT for the .plugin file.)

So close, yet so far... ^_^

Fresh install from the new retail 10.5.6 (Mac Box Set!).

Everything went smoothly, including kext installs and persmissions fixing, etc.

Rebooted to EFI (132), then into the OS, then installed the bootloader w/o fanfare.

Did fdisk after that, again, w/o issue.

Upon rebooting now, however... I get the following errors right after the BIOS/post code splash screen:

Boot0: GPT

Boot0: HFS+

Boot0: error

If I boot via Boot132 first, I can go into the OS just fine as always.

So, it appears there's something w/ the Chameleon step that's screwing me up? Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I did NOT do the DSDT patcher per previous posters stating it wasn't necessary...

Even wiped the disk and re-installed this morning, but am still gettin the exact same problem.

Kudos once again to Synapse and others who paved the way. Install was a breeze, despite my little problem.