EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

Hi !

Anyone here running 10.5.6 on a external drive on the eee 701 4g ? I am interested if you have sleep working ok ... I already created a 10.5.6 slimmed down image, but i have this problem with screen not resuming from sleep. If it works for you please tell me what distro you used for install and what video package... Thanks

PhilK, thanks for the tip with Fn keys, i gave up on that. GMA res-change/qe is don with framebuffer and Elliot's enabler. I'l play around to see what happens.

After googling around for a while i found a site where they got rid of the sleep problem in 10.5.6 on a Dell mini9

maybe that works also for our eee. In the tutorial it says: "***For sleep to work you must deselect usb wake from sleep and usb legacy mode in bios***" (found here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/howto-inst...7-1-t1106.html)

Maybe you can try this ...or read through the following post with some approaches on that http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...p:/t145866.html

Hope this will help!

I hope you can find a way to "merge" the file from ipis and the file that djoser posted then we could dim the brightness..although without the OSD

Have you deleted the spotlight-function and Time-Machine in your 10.5.5 image to slim it down?

The A-Data 16gb sdhc eeepc-edition seems to be just 3-4 mb/s slower than the internal ssd.

Hope somebody will find a solution to get the headphones and mic to work!

Hi PhilK

Actually the brightness control works for me ... just no video after sleep...

Time machine is erased only from preferences, applications, and a terminal command (should work just fine once theese are restored). Spotlight also should work if two files are restored.

Be careful about the sd install.. osx seems to unmount sd at sleep... should be a problem from resuming the OS.

No way at all for mic support. Maybe someone resumes the VoodooHDA project ... that's the only hope for the eee.

My current osx 10.5.6 is 3.42 GB (309 MB left) including latest itunes, airport updates, safari 4 beta. A lot of issues in current state... i think it can also be slimmed down even more. Problem is with the frameworks ...

Hi PhilK

Actually the brightness control works for me ... just no video after sleep...

Time machine is erased only from preferences, applications, and a terminal command (should work just fine once theese are restored). Spotlight also should work if two files are restored.

Be careful about the sd install.. osx seems to unmount sd at sleep... should be a problem from resuming the OS.

No way at all for mic support. Maybe someone resumes the VoodooHDA project ... that's the only hope for the eee.

My current osx 10.5.6 is 3.42 GB (309 MB left) including latest itunes, airport updates, safari 4 beta. A lot of issues in current state... i think it can also be slimmed down even more. Problem is with the frameworks ...

Jip i already noticed that problem with the sdhc and that unmounting at sleep!

I thought this is a problem that's already solved ....but seems like i'm wrong or do you have a idea on that!

Talked to a friend of mine who works at a Research Centre here in Germany!

He said it shouldn't be a problem to solder the missing mpcie slot or an internal usb-hub.

So maybe i drop the idea with the sdhc although this would be the easiest way to upgrade disk space if theres a way to stop that unmounting-problem.

Now i'm torn between 2 alternatives:

1. soldering the mcpie-slot on the mainboard an plug in a fast runcore ssd

or

2. soldering a 4 port usb-hub on the mainboard and use a fast corsair voyager usb stick

The first alternative is straight and the second alternative is more extendible e.g. touchscreen, bluetooth...)

Argh its hard to decide which solution is the best...but i can't live with those 4gb only ...i need iwork or office! What would you prefer?

What do you mean with no video after sleep? Screen stays black?

Would be great if we could extend the existing file from djoser with the commands from the ipis-file...that would help to save a lot of battery-power.

If theres a way how i can help you, just let me know!

What would you prefer?

What do you mean with no video after sleep? Screen stays black?

i for one would prefer a Dell mini 9 ... this eee thing is becoming more and more a PITA. But my wife won't let me buy another one :censored2:) hehe

About sleep... yeah... just black. P lus network problems(edit:fixed that), so i am still working ... BTW... latest version is 2.97 GB ( i finally broke the 3GB barrier but i have no video sleep support ) so ... damn. (edit2: fixed that too !! (tanks PhilK, i did not realize taht on wake the display was set to minimum, i just pressed Fn-F4 and everything was up. Frack the solution was in my face the whole time.. Stay tuned for a release update the following days.

-

i for one would prefer a Dell mini 9 ... this eee thing is becoming more and more a PITA. But my wife won't let me buy another one :) ) hehe

About sleep... yeah... just black. P lus network problems(edit:fixed that), so i am still working ... BTW... latest version is 2.97 GB ( i finally broke the 3GB barrier but i have no video sleep support ) so ... damn. (edit2: fixed that too !! (tanks PhilK, i did not realize taht on wake the display was set to minimum, i just pressed Fn-F4 and everything was up. Frack the solution was in my face the whole time.. Stay tuned for a release update the following days.

Hehe! Sometimes a small inattention turns into a big problem and when you finally solved it you're annoyed cause you didn't thought of it earlier! I made that experience a thousand times in my life ;-)

Damn!

I'd also prefer the Dell mini...but due to the fact that the eee701 came along with my mobilephone contract for free and i just used it very seldom and i already have a macbook pro i think i'll better not buy a third laptop. My girl would also give me the boot :-)

I think i gonna give the mpcie ssd a go! Found a affordable 16gb card on ebay with good benchmarks (read 90mb/s write 55 mb/s) and a shop where i can buy a single pack (5pieces) of mpcie slots.

16gb is not much, but enough for the first test and the essential applications.

My goal is running your image including time-machine, spotlight, iphoto, iwork, ms office, photoshop cs3 (not sure if it has to high requirements), skype, adium, thunderbird, firefox and zattoo.

I think these are the main apps i'd use on my mini macbook.

Dunno if this is interesting for you but i found an app called Xmarks which automatically syncs your bookmarks over the air (through a server) on different machines and different Browsers.

So you can keep your bookmarks and passwords up-to-date on both systems.

Can't wait to get your update-release!! I'm sure i'll gonna love it!

Thanks for keeping me updated! The rest of the forum seems to bee dead ;-)

[update:]

I made progress in upgrading the 701 with an internal ssd!

This afternoon i'll meet a friend who said that he can etch a card with CF-socket so i can just plug in a CF card (good performance at a comparative low price)!

Would be so sick!!!! wooohoo

After a few hours of booting dvd's , restoring images, carbon clone copying I have leopard installed and work. Even the wifi DOES work.

I recommend getting the newer version chameleon instead of the one supplied with the eeeleopard image.

Also wifi does work...

m188867058.png

1) Install AirportExtremeUP2008004.dmg, reboot.

2) install the IO80211 networking .kext with kexthelper

3) repair permissions, in a shell 'diskutil repairPermissions /'

4) reboot with the -f on boot, might get a KP, reboot all should be fine.

5) alot of people have been claiming that kismac isn't detecting.

a) use the Airport card passmode, not the airport/airport extreme on.

:) check advanced settings, I had to change EN1 to EN4 (which was my airport interface)

c) scan, channels show up

d) quit kismac

e) go to your airport fan icon and select your network. DING! working wifi...

with the voodoo kernel it's very responsive at 630Mhz, but is nice at 900Mhz. I am using the 0511 bios with the cpu performance settings.

YAY! :D

First of all, Thanks! Lots of effort put in here and it is appreciated. I am now working on an eee701 4g.

Ok, I have Sama's installer image, and it's installed and booting off my USB stick. So far so good. Installer fires up, Disk utility formats my internal 4g flash, proceed to install.. guess what? Not enough room on target disk!

Is there another method I should be using to format the internal drive? I am -57.4M short of space according to the installer. Am I missing a step perhaps?

Can I edit the installer image and pull some app out that is 60M or so?

-R

First of all, Thanks! Lots of effort put in here and it is appreciated. I am now working on an eee701 4g.

Ok, I have Sama's installer image, and it's installed and booting off my USB stick. So far so good. Installer fires up, Disk utility formats my internal 4g flash, proceed to install.. guess what? Not enough room on target disk!

Is there another method I should be using to format the internal drive? I am -57.4M short of space according to the installer. Am I missing a step perhaps?

Can I edit the installer image and pull some app out that is 60M or so?

-R

Do you have sama's image from demonoid?

I installed this image with a bootable usb-stick!

Maybe your SSD is splitted into two or more partitions.

Your drive should have 3.73 gb....at least thats the size of my internal drive.

Hope this helps!

;-)

Thanks Philk,

It appears that there may be differences between our internal flash drives, as mine, when clean, is 3.71G unformatted, and when I use Diskutil to make an apple partition, it formats out to 3.4G (3,657,318,400 Bytes).

This is 57.4 megs too small lol.

Is there a way to further prune this image?

-R

Thanks Philk,

It appears that there may be differences between our internal flash drives, as mine, when clean, is 3.71G unformatted, and when I use Diskutil to make an apple partition, it formats out to 3.4G (3,657,318,400 Bytes).

This is 57.4 megs too small lol.

Is there a way to further prune this image?

-R

What did you select in Disk utility?

I formatted my disk with Mac OS Extended journaled.

Don't forget to select mbr!

Are you sure that theres not a small recovery-partition or else? can't believe that our ssd's are different.

If you can't find a way to solve the problem then wait for sama's next Image (10.5.6). He said that the new image is even smaller!

Good Luck !

Shazam! That was it. I had the same settings but for MBR, I had selected GUID. It now formats out to 3.7G.

Now installing. Thanks for the tip!

-R

Hehe, sometimes things are so easy!

Glad i could help!

Do to the vast amount of kernel panics with the IO80211 kext and unreliability of the 5007EG working. So until there is a proper driver solution or I can get a broadcom mini-pci card I came across another solution...

Use my ipod touch 2G (jailbroken) as a wifi dongle, it totally works...

here is how.. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=630227

also you'll need this little app so you can rescale your windows to see the lower buttons on prefs.

http://mydellmini.com/forum/virtually-incr...179.html#p17545

osx on my eeepc 4g just gets better and better..

Do to the vast amount of kernel panics with the IO80211 kext and unreliability of the 5007EG working. So until there is a proper driver solution or I can get a broadcom mini-pci card I came across another solution...

Use my ipod touch 2G (jailbroken) as a wifi dongle, it totally works...

here is how.. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=630227

also you'll need this little app so you can rescale your windows to see the lower buttons on prefs.

http://mydellmini.com/forum/virtually-incr...179.html#p17545

osx on my eeepc 4g just gets better and better..

Great! I had the same idea a few days ago. But i knew that my dell 1390 wifi-card is already shipped so i dropped the idea . Also i couldn't get it to work one my first attempt. But for using edge this is really interesting cause tethering via wifi drains iphone-battery so much.

By the way..i'm writing this on my EEE Hackbook using the Edge-connection from my iphone with pdanet!

Hope the guys from pdanet bring an update with usb-support for mac not only for windows.

Greetings from a sunny place in Baden-Baden!

Phil

Forgive me for asking too many questions, I just got eeeLeopard working on my machine and I am so exciting and I am going to wet myself. So here they are:

1. I have a TouchKit installed, I installed the drivers and it works fine, however, when I have the Camera enabled in the BIOS (the touch screen is hooked up to the camera port) sleep does not work correctly. In other words, the machine goes to sleep but won't wake up I just get a black screen. If I disable the Camera in the BIOS, sleep works fine. Is there a way to disable it without having to restart the computer? Or are there any other solutions people might have that don't involve me disconnecting it?

2. Other than the iPod touch, is it possible to tether any other wifi enabled devices to a Mac? I have a PPC-6700 phone, and I know it can be tethered to a Windoze machine, but can I use it with this?

3. Is there any hacks available to rotate the screen and does the DellMini resolution hack work on the eee?

4. Is my MacBook going to think I am cheating on it?

5. Has anyone tried using VMWare Fusion or similar to run Windoze software?

Hey there,

i'm still searching for a solution to get rid of the unmount-problem of the sdhc card. when i put my eee to sleep the sdhc card is unmounted or rather swapped. When i wake it up from sleep i always get an error that the drive has not been unmounted properly etc.

I found a thread at a Dell mini-forum including a kext but that didn't fix the problem on my eee

Is there a solution for that? Also the battery acts up when i'm not running on AC-power.

It always says i'm running on reserve power but the recalculates the remaining battery life. After a few minutes of work the message pops up again that i'm running on low batt ....and so on!

Also no fix on that?

Greetings and happy easter days

Philipp

...solution to get rid of the unmount-problem of the sdhc card

Also the battery acts up when i'm not running on AC-power

Hi PhilK

well for the first problem u could use a unmount/remount script. Here's a quick applied how to (swap kext unmounting with drive unmounting - i think the command is umount (google it))

second ... yeah i know it bothers me too. Erase VoodooBattery,kext from s/l/e and apply chun-nan's fix. (it's not that accurate and it does have a few bugs, but it works just fine)

Forgive me for asking too many questions, I just got eeeLeopard working on my machine and I am so exciting and I am going to wet myself. So here they are:

1. I have a TouchKit installed, I installed the drivers and it works fine, however, when I have the Camera enabled in the BIOS (the touch screen is hooked up to the camera port) sleep does not work correctly. In other words, the machine goes to sleep but won't wake up I just get a black screen. If I disable the Camera in the BIOS, sleep works fine. Is there a way to disable it without having to restart the computer? Or are there any other solutions people might have that don't involve me disconnecting it?

2. Other than the iPod touch, is it possible to tether any other wifi enabled devices to a Mac? I have a PPC-6700 phone, and I know it can be tethered to a Windoze machine, but can I use it with this?

3. Is there any hacks available to rotate the screen and does the DellMini resolution hack work on the eee?

4. Is my MacBook going to think I am cheating on it?

5. Has anyone tried using VMWare Fusion or similar to run Windoze software?

1. any usb device that continuously sends feedback will basically destroy your sleep. That includes clicking a external mouse while in sleep. No answer to that. Try the brightness keys, maybe it's just dimmed down.

2.3.dunno. Dell 1390 ?

4. No it's just your conscience :o) hehe

5. Should work just fine ... did not try (low disk space in my case)

Erase VoodooBattery,kext from s/l/e and apply chun-nan's fix. (it's not that accurate and it does have a few bugs, but it works just fine)

Hey Sama,

thanks for the hint! I tried to install chun-nan's fix but i don't know if i've done everything right.

I deleted the VoodooBattery.kext and installed the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext with kexthelper.

Don't know what to do with all the other files and folders! I downloaded the latest version and still get the low-batt-alert. How do i install it properly?

Try the brightness keys, maybe it's just dimmed down.

Do you have a kext to get the brightness-keys to work with correct resolution? If so, would you please post the file?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and all the progress you made!

Greetings Phil

Hey Sama,

thanks for the hint! I tried to install chun-nan's fix but i don't know if i've done everything right.

I deleted the VoodooBattery.kext and installed the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext with kexthelper.

Don't know what to do with all the other files and folders! I downloaded the latest version and still get the low-batt-alert. How do i install it properly?

Do you have a kext to get the brightness-keys to work with correct resolution? If so, would you please post the file?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and all the progress you made!

Greetings Phil

please be patient until this weekend, i'll do a image of my setup, and share it on the dem****

please be patient until this weekend, i'll do a image of my setup, and share it on the dem****

Okay...your right! I'll better wait for the update! But isn't it strange that when i put my eee to sleep all other drives like usb-sticks and -hdd's are not swapped or rather unmounted?

Seems like there must be something with drivers from the sdhc-reader.

Are there any improvements in 10.5.6. regarding drivers for the eee ?

If everything thing turns out well then i'll solder my mpcie-slots on my mainboard tomorrow!

Then i just have to wait for a bargain (ssd) at the bay!

So i can't wait to get my fingers on your new image ...

Greetings phil

Hi. As this is my first post on the forum i would like to start with thanking the members for there grate work !

Wifi is ok with the Realtek WLAN Client Utility

Quartz works fine

==BUT I STILL HAVE NO AUDIO !

I have the eee 701 SD 8GB 900MZH (out of the box).

Ive added 2gb ram to it.

I have installed the eeeleopardV2 image mentioned here (Demonoid) and also manage to boot another compile i found on Demonoid.

I tried to switch kernels and installed vanilla, still no go.

Installed azalia, chud, audeee. reinstalled azalia but nothing works. found a thread somewhere about some terminal commands and memory adress but i could not figure that part out,

Can anyone help me

Hey sama!

Don't know if you already know it but there a new chameleon bootloader with a nice GUI!

So maybe you can update your upcoming image with that!

Looks really cool!

Greetings

Phil

Version 3 released on dem*****

Basically it is a updated 10.5.6 version, chameleon 2, almost the same driver support. Some packages too for u to play with (including support for some other netbooks). Much more on the included readme. Smaller installation footprint (about 3.1 GB install size, 45sec boot time on guid) on fresh install (620 MB left on the 4GB ssd of the eee 701).

Please give feedback. I really hope this one boots from external dvd.

Version 3 released on dem*****

Basically it is a updated 10.5.6 version, chameleon 2, almost the same driver support. Some packages too for u to play with (including support for some other netbooks). Much more on the included readme. Smaller installation footprint (about 3.1 GB install size, 45sec boot time on guid) on fresh install (620 MB left on the 4GB ssd of the eee 701).

Please give feedback. I really hope this one boots from external dvd.

on demonoid thereisn't anyimage,please where i download it?

thanks

on demonoid thereisn't anyimage,please where i download it?

thanks

dem***** indexes torrents slower, search for it under apps/macintosh. On State filter use both. Name is "Leopard for Asus Eee PC 701/ lesser netbooks (take 3)"