EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

Some screenshots of EeePC 701 running Leopard on the native 4 GB SSD with Voodoo kernel

What works : video (including vga out - minor problem once in a while a small artifact, no issues), speakers, battery-awareness (battery time about 1.40 hours), usb devices, shutdown/restart/sleep support (fast too),webcam(though dumped ichat and photobooth), external WL167g_v2 wifi_dongle

Not working : headphone/mic, native wifi, lan

Tweaking in progress... Either way it is a heavily hammered down version ( of course ) Activity monitor does not work (permissions problem? doesn't even fit on the screen so who needs it) but the few applications left run ok

XBENCH result : 22.66 (excluding SSdrive in test - with it is about 16.6) YEAH BABY ! Beat that :P

post-7528-1234902226_thumb.png

post-7528-1234902237_thumb.png

post-7528-1234902245_thumb.png

post-7528-1234902257_thumb.png

post-7528-1234902264_thumb.png

I don't want to release it yet because there is a somewhat serious issue : Internal disk performance is very poor .... xbench disk-only result ~6. I don't get it ... SSD are supposed to be fast as hell, right ?

Edit: well it seems that cheap comes with poor quality, seems this is all it can (actually) - checked some benchmarks on windoze and it's about the same... plus it seems the controller is neither a sata nor a usb - it seems it's something in the middle :) it's IDE (PCI detection is bugged)

Attached is a pic of the dcpi output and also of the disk xbench result

post-7528-1234969204_thumb.png

i don't want to release it yet because there is a somewhat serious issue ... Edit: I'm starting to xbench result is false due to the little space left (155MB) - most people recommend 10% at least for proper performance..

internal disk performance is rather poor .... xbench disk-only result ~6. I don't get it ... SSD are supposed to be fast as hell, right ? If you can , please help, this is the only thing that needs to be fixed, and then i'll post result on the bay. Strange thing is that the dcpi manager lists a sata controller, but i know 701 4G is soldered in ... that makes it what ??? IDE/SATA ? I've read that the sata version is called 701SD. I don't recall, what is the read/write speed on the windows platform, and how does XP list the disc in device manager ? Thanks

Either way the general speed is ok, but fixing this disk controller should make it fly...

Attached is a pic of the dcpi output and also of the xbench result

Well good luck on fixing the last of the issues... i can't wait to get this off my sdhc card...

i have released it on the demon, hope you like it :)

(search for eee)

I snagged it before I even read your post. Thanks for putting it up there! I'm loving it.

You should check this out:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153503

LAN driver! I installed it with kexthelper, and it worked even before I got a chance to reboot!

Edit:

OOPS! This is where I got mine from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102835

I snagged it before I even read your post. Thanks for putting it up there! I'm loving it.

You should check this out:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153503

LAN driver! I installed it with kexthelper, and it worked even before I got a chance to reboot!

Edit:

OOPS! This is where I got mine from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102835

glad you liked it

thanks for the lan driver

what i'm hoping for is a healthy wifi driver it it should be great !!

PS i've managed to slim it even more : 3.2 GB !!! hehe

PPS: Anyone has had any success on using the gma video card with dsdt fix ? that would be great to get rid of some artifacts ... Done

would you rather have a fully updated (all software updates and xslimmed) install image, or would you rather have an image that you would get if you only followed djosers instructions?

Regarding to keatonreckard's question, I would prefer a fully updated install image, if possible.

I thought some people had the native wifi working. Is it possible to do the same here??

I have an eee900, but I guess it works in the same way, isn't it?

You are all doing a wonderful work. Let's keep it up!!

Thanks!!

done !!!

install image (can be used either for booting from a sd card either to burn a dvd), plus corrections to the previous build (including restoring most of the apps deleted last time plus permissions are fixed now)

plus, attansic L2 fixed, wireless is detected as airport extreme, but does not function (yet). Need to work some more on the damn ALC662 card on the eee. Anybody ever understood codec verbs/stuff ???? if you do i can provide you with codec dump/whatever

just need to try some more things and i believe it is ready (maybe tomorrow night or the day after tomorrow - busy tomorrow)

btw, it takes 15 seconds to boot from the sd to install gui

boot time for the installed system is (still) big :unsure: - working on it

i released it at the demon site (search for Leopard - it's not yet indexed)

enjoy

i can't get registered there, demon is closed... :) can you share it in the pirate bay? or can somebody provide me with an invitation code?

Could anybody please help me? I tried installing it on my Eee Pc 702 8g. I downloaded the image off of the demenoid, followed the instructions, boot when I boot from my USB drive to install it on the eeepc I get a Boot 0 error. Does anybody have any idea why im getting this? Is there a certain Bios I need installed or did I mess up the Chameleon boot loader install?

Could anybody please help me? I tried installing it on my Eee Pc 702 8g. I downloaded the image off of the demenoid, followed the instructions, boot when I boot from my USB drive to install it on the eeepc I get a Boot 0 error. Does anybody have any idea why im getting this? Is there a certain Bios I need installed or did I mess up the Chameleon boot loader install?

problem is with the chameleon install. Even if i/others tested it and it is working ok

Try osx86tools/installEfi

i had some progress on modding the applehda codec... Nothing solid yet, but looks promising: audio recognized in profiler, plus audio icon showed up on the bar, seems mic is recognized in prefferences/sound. Problem is atm it freezes the system if i try to play something. I' ll investigate further this issue and keep you posted.

Edit: Well i can't get past this...

Everyting shows up fine... but no sound. Oh well... Long live Azalia. :rolleyes:

I'll attach all files needed, maybe someone else wants to experiment with it. External mic is 9-34-24 but if u put it in it will crash. Headphone is 27-12-2, internal speakers is 20-12-2

Dunno what pin config is internal microphone (4-14-24 is an output device! ). Hope it helps someone just to get u started. Careful Audio mixers must have an Amp. Don't link [N/A] devices. If you decide to test this on another type of eee (for ex 901 uses the same card) make sure you change the codec id to the decimal codec dump value in base info.plist, hdacontroller, platformdriver, and hexedit replace 6206ec10 to your deviceid in /macos/applehda.

A word of advice : i asked The King about this and he said he experienced these same issues with the same card and it's hopeless, so don't loose too much time with it (like i did :P )

I have just downloaded the image, but I cannot make it work.

I don´t have a mac available right now. So I would need some solution to create a bootable SD card from a windows pc.

I tryed to burn the image to a dvd using Transmac, but the result is not a bootable disk.

Please can anybody help me? Any way to do it from windows?

Thanks.

Any way to do it from windows?

sorry about that, it should have worked but it don't (i don't have much experience with these things, plus no external dvd to try).

Just a idea, if you manage to extract from my image system.pkg rename it to Leopard-1055.pkg and replace it into a image of iDeneb 1.3 dvd (path: system/instalation/packages). Sorry i don't know if you can do that on Windows

sama7896.. i'll never try the slimmed install image but Nice Work!

For the microphone i've found this but i don't have time to try...

ok? :thumbsup_anim:

i think i did try that already...

i think it was my first try ... What I want is headphone and internal mic support - external is easy pin : 9-34-24. Let me see internal mic or headphone and then i will be impressed

If however someone does insert internal pin, it shows up at output devices - that's because it starts from a blue pin. So ... bump