EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

Version 3 released on dem*****

Basically it is a updated 10.5.6 version, chameleon 2, almost the same driver support. Some packages too for u to play with (including support for some other netbooks). Much more on the included readme. Smaller installation footprint (about 3.1 GB install size, 45sec boot time on guid) on fresh install (620 MB left on the 4GB ssd of the eee 701).

Please give feedback. I really hope this one boots from external dvd.

Thanks for this awesome easter-surprise!

Download is already running and should be finished in about 7h!

I'll give you a feedback a soon as i can!

Maybe i'll need your help in a few weeks on how to get back some of the features and functions like time-machine and spotlight ...german language pack and so on when my 16gb ssd is installed.

I hope that i can just mirror the drive onto the new ssd and then reinstall some of the functions that you deleted to slim the image down.

Greetings and happy easter-days

Philipp

Maybe i'll need your help in a few weeks on how to get back some of the features and functions like time-machine and spotlight ...german language pack and so on when my 16gb ssd is installed.

Hi PhilK

On this version u have the option to restore those functions in the Customize dialog.

Language ... Kind-off impossible i think.... Maybe restoring all apps and all coreservices from a german install (run monolingual on them first, leaving only german)? U could try that... But i'm betting it won't work.

There are two bugs i did not have the time/nerve to fix, but it's fine: Trackpad from VoodooPS2Controller does not wake from spleep - pity 'cose it works beautifully (maybe wrong Appleps2controller ? or maybe the .sleep script removes the trackpad as well?) - that's why i added the option for the old ps2 controller (please re-run this package after install from /system/installation/packages) and a few suid errors ( i'll make a package installer for them when i have the time)

Also something weird ... Brightness of the display seems to be lower on 10.5.6 compared to the 10.5.5 version. No way to fix that.

Hi PhilK

On this version u have the option to restore those functions in the Customize dialog.

Language ... Kind-off impossible i think.... Maybe restoring all apps and all coreservices from a german install (run monolingual on them first, leaving only german)? U could try that... But i'm betting it won't work.

There are two bugs i did not have the time/nerve to fix, but it's fine: Trackpad from VoodooPS2Controller does not wake from spleep - pity 'cose it works beautifully (maybe wrong Appleps2controller ? or maybe the .sleep script removes the trackpad as well?) - that's why i added the option for the old ps2 controller (please re-run this package after install from /system/installation/packages) and a few suid errors ( i'll make a package installer for them when i have the time)

Also something weird ... Brightness of the display seems to be lower on 10.5.6 compared to the 10.5.5 version. No way to fix that.

Sounds great! I'm still downloading cause its sooo sloooow!

Does the voodooPS2controller really support multitouch ( 2 finger scrolling) on the 701?

I'll also try my best to find a way to fix the sleep problem as soon as my download is finished.

I'm thrilled that theres now an easy way to restore the functions that are missing due to the slimming cure. I think i can live with the english language-pack ;-)

Hope that theres not a remarkable loss of brightness.

My impatience drives me crazy.....(still 9h to go) *hmmpf*

dem***** indexes torrents slower, search for it under apps/macintosh. On State filter use both. Name is "Leopard for Asus Eee PC 701/ lesser netbooks (take 3)"

Thanx for your hard work.

I am downloading and will seed from 3 locations when i get one copy down.

Too bad i choose'd the slowest connection to dl it from.

Plz everyone seed as long as you can or at least to ratio 2.5

Version 3 released on dem*****

Basically it is a updated 10.5.6 version, chameleon 2, almost the same driver support. Some packages too for u to play with (including support for some other netbooks). Much more on the included readme. Smaller installation footprint (about 3.1 GB install size, 45sec boot time on guid) on fresh install (620 MB left on the 4GB ssd of the eee 701).

Please give feedback. I really hope this one boots from external dvd.

Please seed! I'm stuck on 99,9%!

Sorry i hoped at least some of you got it... You were supposed to... ( i left computer all day)

I decided to delete it because of some suid errors... they drive me crazy... (i know they're harmless, but i can't stand them...). Sorry, decided to halt everything until i get it right.

Again ... sorry.

I've been trying all day to escape them... can't... I worked on a fix, but no success whatsoever.

Sorry i hoped at least some of you got it... You were supposed to... ( i left computer all day)

I decided to delete it because of some suid errors... they drive me crazy... (i know they're harmless, but i can't stand them...). Sorry, decided to halt everything until i get it right.

Again ... sorry.

I've been trying all day to escape them... can't... I worked on a fix, but no success whatsoever.

Hey Sama! What kind of errors?

Is there a way to reactivate the torrent? Just a few kb's are missing!

Maybe we all can help to get rid of the errors!

Greetings

Phil

sama7896, can you add voodooHDA as well? It is definately working on my eee pc 900 =)))

Also, how can I turn on the Spotlight and Time Machine, assuming that I'm using your image ver2?

Hey YureZzZ!

I already asked that question before. Sama's answer:

Apr 5 2009, 03:54 PM

Time machine is erased only from preferences, applications, and a terminal command (should work just fine once theese are restored). Spotlight also should work if two files are restored.

Greetings Phil

Hey YureZzZ!

I already asked that question before. Sama's answer: ......

Oops, my bad ;) Thanx!

EDIT: I've got Spotlight back, but can't do it with Time Machine. I've copied App, prefs, but don't know where to find the console binaries that I need to bring back. Any hints please?

Hey, i've done this package for 10.5.6 ... (i used the 10.5.6 spotlight and tm files, i really hope that does not give issues...)

That is just for u to test some things...

TM... the command was just not to remind u to backup every time u plug a external drive... No function affected, u should be able to manually set TM.

defaults write com.apple.TimeMachine DoNotOfferNewDisksForBackup -bool NO

undoes it

Cool packages! In the package Leopard options you said that voodooHDA gives low volume output. Here is how to fix this: go to Utilities-Audio MIDI Setup- and here set the output channel as PCM, not as Master(raise this on to max as well). You go to Audio Source - choose PCM from the list.

Will try TimeMachine fix now. UPDATE: It crashes when I'm trying to open prefs. Can you tell me which files I need to copy, and where to? Never mind, I fixed disk permissions and it works now. Thanx for help!

Spotlight from 10.5.6 works well on my 10.5.5

Also in your package there is a script which delete unneeded stuff - does it contains all the steps that you did to fit Leo in 4 gigs? I would like to see the script or list of unneded files, if it possible.

Also in your package there is a script which delete unneeded stuff - does it contains all the steps that you did to fit Leo in 4 gigs? I would like to see the script or list of unneded files, if it possible.

no ... it does not... That's some extra stuff u can safely remove...

the process i followed is really slow... Actually trial and error, monolingual and xslimmer ( xslimmer is a real system killer... does some suid errors).

I'll get working again, just that i have only a few hours free and that's just time enough to eat :rolleyes:

Hey sama,

when can we expect the new release? I can't wait to have my hands on the new image!

I installed AppleHDA and sound (also headphone-jack) works. Just system-sounds are scratchy...for example when you emtpy the Trash, etc. ( Theres a new update but still no mic)

I also got scrolling on my touchpad to work (not 2-finger...thought its maybe just a software-thing to get multitouch-support but seems like its not)! I didn't need you fix-command! It worked more or less ootb.

I just had the same problem some people discribed on voodoo-forum with tapping on the dock (only on the dock it is recognized as a right-click). I solved this problem by unchecking the boxes "dragging" and "drag lock" under system prefs -> keyboard & mouse

I tried the battery-solution you posted earlier! the latest beta didn't work for me but an earlier release fixed the problem with those annoying low-batt-warnings ...although the estimated battery life is not really realistic.

Greetings

Phil

I installed AppleHDA and sound (also headphone-jack) works. Just system-sounds are scratchy...for example when you emtpy the Trash, etc......

In Utilities- Audio MIDI Setup - change the format to 44100 and 16 bits. Should be fine.

sama, what happened to the sleep feature? Why screen doesn't wake up? Which kexts have you changed since your first release? (It was working there)

In Utilities- Audio MIDI Setup - change the format to 44100 and 16 bits. Should be fine.

sama, what happened to the sleep feature? Why screen doesn't wake up? Which kexts have you changed since your first release? (It was working there)

hey, the first release was based on the gma950 kexts posted by djoser. I tried to remove some of the artifacts and so i changed the drivers with elliot's gma 950 enabler. So to reset it try removing elliotgmaenabler and reinstall those kexts. Try first if the display is not just dimmed down (Fn-F4 should wake it up)

Awesome! Thanks for the hint! Now the sound is really clear! Did you have any success on activating the mic?

I tried a precompiled kext and could hear input from the mic through the speakers but it was not recognized as input.

Do you have the new image from sama?

Greetings Phil

hey, the first release was based on the gma950 kexts posted by djoser. I tried to remove some of the artifacts and so i changed the drivers with elliot's gma 950 enabler. So to reset it try removing elliotgmaenabler and reinstall those kexts. Try first if the display is not just dimmed down (Fn-F4 should wake it up)

Djoser kexts doesn't give the sleep either now. Maybe something wrong with the other kexts. But Djoser kexts are better - less garbage on the screen. With the Elliot kexts I see a squared piece of junk right under the apple button after every restart. With Djoser - just sometimes and in different places. Fn-F4 and F3 not working for me, dunno how to fix it.

Also there is a problem with PCGen kext - it can't load, so maybe this is the cause?

Awesome! Thanks for the hint! Now the sound is really clear! Did you have any success on activating the mic?

I tried a precompiled kext and could hear input from the mic through the speakers but it was not recognized as input.

Do you have the new image from sama?

Greetings Phil

No input thou... But try to move the mic volume slider really slow and see what is going to happen to its volume indicator - it will go mad at some point. Or... you don't have two mics in your input list?

UPDATE: mic is working and its input channel is called Input Mix =)

Yup, I have sama's Leopard v2.

Djoser kexts doesn't give the sleep either now. Maybe something wrong with the other kexts. But Djoser kexts are better - less garbage on the screen. With the Elliot kexts I see a squared piece of junk right under the apple button after every restart. With Djoser - just sometimes and in different places. Fn-F4 and F3 not working for me, dunno how to fix it.

Also there is a problem with PCGen kext - it can't load, so maybe this is the cause?

No input thou... But try to move the mic volume slider really slow and see what is going to happen to its volume indicator - it will go mad at some point. Or... you don't have two mics in your input list?

UPDATE: mic is working and its input channel is called Input Mix =)

Hey YureZzZ,

I've downloaded the new voodooHDA 0.2.2 and theres only one output device and one input ..no input-mix and no pcm and so on but therefor mute works.

Would be great if you could post your kext!

I had an older version of voodooHDA before where i could here sounds from the mic through the internal speakers. But when i tried to use skype none of the mics worked.

So maybe your kext is better.

Yup, I have sama's Leopard v2.

Okay i thought you already have Leopard v3!

Here is my voodooHDA kext LINK

I didn't patch it or anything like that, just downloaded it.

Also, I hear the sound from mic, but can't record it - it is silence when you play it.

sama, about sleep issue - there is a really weird thing when I wake my eee up. Not only it can't start the screen, but also it lit the eeepc hdd led(constantly on, no blinking). But now I use external HDD for Leo... Maybe it can't wake the USB up?

Here is my voodooHDA kext LINK

I didn't patch it or anything like that, just downloaded it.

Also, I hear the sound from mic, but can't record it - it is silence when you play it.

sama, about sleep issue - there is a really weird thing when I wake my eee up. Not only it can't start the screen, but also it lit the eeepc hdd led(constantly on, no blinking). But now I use external HDD for Leo... Maybe it can't wake the USB up?

Jip ..thats the same voodooHDA i had before! Try the new beta 0.2.2! Also no mic-support but you can mute sound with alt+f7.

What kind of device do you use now for your image? Usb-stick? sdhc?

I'm thinking of a new approach to this...

how about a all features included version.. ( i mean a real actual 3.2 GB install after which u can properly set your username pass / what to remove/not ).

Current version works just fine with full features ( almost .. chess don't work - even the 32 bit one), but needs some customization to improve speed.

I'm thinking of bringing those options with an additional multi-package installer ( once u set up your username/pass).

So far i was trying to integrate all updates. The problem i encountered before was with the itunes/frontrow updates... they generate suid errors if installed forced from outside)

I'm thinking of a new approach to this...

how about a all features included version.. ( i mean a real actual 3.2 GB install after which u can properly set your username pass / what to remove/not ).

Current version works just fine with full features ( almost .. chess don't work - even the 32 bit one), but needs some customization to improve speed.

I'm thinking of bringing those options with an additional multi-package installer ( once u set up your username/pass).

So far i was trying to integrate all updates. The problem i encountered before was with the itunes/frontrow updates... they generate suid errors if installed forced from outside)

Don't just think about it - Do it! :-)

That would be sooo great!