EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

I am having some problems installing this.

Since I was not able to prepare it from windows I first installed JaS osx86 Tiger in my eeepc900. I am having those timing problems, but it is "usable".

So I proceeded to prepare a 4Gb SD card to install your Leopard version.

I deleted it using the first option MacOs Extendend Journaled (should I mark the option to install the osx9 drivers??).

Then I restore the dmg image into the formated SD card (I guess I don't need to erase it again).

Finally I execute the chamaleon and I choose the SD card as the install destination.

That should be all, right?

But when I restart the eee900 and I choose to boot from the SD card it seems like it can't find a booting partition in it, so the computer just boots the old tiger intallation form the hard drive.

What am I missing???

I don't know what else can I try. (And the osx86tools are not compatible with Tiger)

Please tell me if you have any idea.

Thanks.

I am having some problems installing this.

Hi griguol

Unmount disk and install chamemelon again - sometimes the chameleon package does not succeed blessing the partition. If not, start over again the procedure should guarantee it

Sorry about the dvd thing, i promise i'll fix it in a future version (if and when i get full audio/wireless working - it's under development)

Unmount disk and install chamemelon again - sometimes the chameleon package does not succeed blessing the partition. If not, start over again the procedure should guarantee it

I have tried it a lot of times, but it is still not booting from my SD card.

Something strange is that, after restoring the image into the 4Gb SD card, it still shows 1.4Gb of free space. Is that normal or is something going wrong with the restoring process?

I am running out of ideas.

Is there any way to modify your dmg image to make it bootable if burned into a dvd??

I can also try to install Leopard using iDeneb distro in the slow 16Gb ssd of my eee900 and then try to build the bootable SD card again. May be in Leopard I have more luck than in Tiger, but I don't think it is so easy to install it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

I have tried it a lot of times, but it is still not booting from my SD card.

Something strange is that, after restoring the image into the 4Gb SD card, it still shows 1.4Gb of free space. Is that normal or is something going wrong with the restoring process?

I am running out of ideas.

Is there any way to modify your dmg image to make it bootable if burned into a dvd??

I can also try to install Leopard using iDeneb distro in the slow 16Gb ssd of my eee900 and then try to build the bootable SD card again. May be in Leopard I have more luck than in Tiger, but I don't think it is so easy to install it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Hi

Are u sure u did not just copy the dmg to the usb ? (given the space left it looks like that - in that case use Disk Utility/Restore tab)

if not : check again downloaded data - might be u have a corrupt download

About the dvd boot : I'll fix it this weekend (hope) and release a ppf patch

Are u sure u did not just copy the dmg to the usb ? (given the space left it looks like that - in that case use Disk Utility/Restore tab)

if not : check again downloaded data - might be u have a corrupt download

About the dvd boot : I'll fix it this weekend (hope) and release a ppf patch

Yes, of course, I am using the Restore tab in the disk utility. I think the free space after restoring is not a problem, because if I mount the dmg image on the desktop and check the properties it also has that same free space.

I can try to download it again but I guess my data should be OK or I wouldn't be able to decompress the 7z file.

I think my best choice is to wait for your patch to build a bootable dvd.

I'll keep on trying until I get it running.

Thanks for all your help.

1st Post

Writing this from my EEEPC 900 using this image, got wifi working :D

Triple booting, 4G = XP 16G = 7G fat32 + 8G Ubuntu 8.10 Vanilla

I installed this image to an external USB hard drive and then installed it via the Eee on a class 6 4G SD card.

Not many changes required to get Wifi going, installed the AirPortExtremeUp2008004 and IO80211Family_kext_v.2.1.2, repaired permissions before reboot, one kernel panic and then booted.

After loading AirportExtremePassive Mode driver in Kismet, selecting network and exiting kismet my saved network auto connected. After a reboot, I still need to use Kismet to activate Wifi.

Before I had success with this I installed an Intel Wifi 3945ABG from an old Lenovo but it was not recognised by the BIOS, did not spend much time trying to get the Intel card working (I have the latest BIOS) and reinstalled the original wifi card.

Again, thanks for all the work on this, Class 6 SD card is flying, spaces, expose all work great @ 1024X600.

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x1026)

Wireless Card Locale: Unknown

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Current Wireless Network: BOXY-SLOW

Wireless Channel: 11

That's great!!

I am looking forward to have it working.

And what about the sound? Is it working in your eee900?

May be I should try to upgrade mi bios while sama7896 prepares the patch. Which bios version is yours?

Wifi is not consistent and I started again, I was getting a kernel panic after most reboots, I've no idea what I did. According to the thread (cannot find at the moment) for Wifi many people have the same issue.

I'll try another Wifi card from a Thinkpad to see if the Bios recognizes it.

Not tried sound, but will shortly.

I have now a dell 1390 wifi Card but when I installed the Card into my eeepc 900 I could not turn on the eee anymore. Must I up or downgrade the BIOS to get this Card working in my eeepc 900. Please could anybody with a eeepc 900 post a Report about a full functional dell 1390 mini pci in an eeepc 900 not A or HD or 702. I could'n find some.

I found a Post about a 0802 BIOS wo must installed using the dell 1390 wifi.

First Post

PC : EEE 900 (4GB + 16GB)

Bios Version : 802 (default witch came..)

OS : Sama7986´s .dmg of Install of iDeneb 1.4 (now present in Demonoid and TPB)

Created USB thumb drive restoring his image (3.8GB), after that using Chameleon 1.01 patch (included in his torrrent) and DSDT with GUI patcher (ahem, not upgraded to version 10.5.6, still on 10.5.5 - version after instalation, to save space..).

Installed via USB thumb drive in +-40 minutes, using 4GB HD for OS (+-250 Mb free, wich OS uses part of it to run). Instaling applications on 16Gb HD (Mac OS Journaled also).

Everything is working except Sound and Wi-fi. Graphics iniatlly on 800x600 (i think), switched easilly on preferences to 1024x600. VGA out working, and capable of putting image of any resolution out - as an extension of desktop (tried on 1680x1050). Tried the sound procedure (here depicted), with no sucess..when time available (maybe next year.. :D ), will try to mess with wi-fi and see what happens..sound i guess i have to wait (no problem here..use mainly to read articles, books and stuff..)

Would Like to thanks all involved in process here, and fast evolution this install has taken (from no Ethernet, GMA 900, to complete install! :D )

Best luck to all who trie...its as easy as taking time to read this post, looking for what isnt here on Gooooogle, and having your own EEEbook.

Most important : Patience is a virtue...if you run fast trough any part (ie. : Not formating correctlly your external device; making sure it still works ok (not partly broken); selecting the RIGHT boot device - Select HD 1st, and then you -> chose external USB; not taking time to read all posts; not checking witch patchers are necessary; and how to install them - before you boot drive to install; you will encounter problems, and then will start complainig here why it really doesn´t work, and bla bla.. Take it from me, as a kind of noob once (having to install OSX to desktop, searching for right version for MB on OSx86 search, graphic card, kernell errors..), this is REALLY easy..

Again, best of luck

Tchau

Any progress with the ppf patch to build a bootable dvd?

I am trying to find some info to do it myself, but I cannot find nothing about creating ppf patches. Can anybody tell me where can I find this kind of information?

Any progress with the ppf patch to build a bootable dvd?

I am trying to find some info to do it myself, but I cannot find nothing about creating ppf patches. Can anybody tell me where can I find this kind of information?

sorry i have not found the time for that. I'll get to that as soon as i can

Edit: 10.5.6 update is in progress (no point updating the old version) - hope you'll like the boost :)

Edit2: No sleep support for gma driver. Damn !

I'm running sama's image on my EEE 4G 701! I installed it on the internal SSD and it works like charm!! (LAN, Webcam...)

Thanks for that sama!!! This week i'll get my Dell1390 mpcie Card so that even wifi should work.

But i'm having some trouble with the Battery ...when i unplug my eee then just a few seconds later he's telling me my battery is low! Then after a few seconds it shows up the "normal" battery-life of about 1:10 hours. After working a little time the eee again tells me i'm running on reserve battery power. There must be a problem with the power settings or something. But maybe this problem is caused by my BIOS (0511). My fans are also running on a audible high speed and need a lot of power i think. Can i use newer versions and accordingly is there a better version i can use to eliminate those problems?

Is there any success on getting the internal mic and/or the headphone/microphone jacks to work?

What about the f-keys? Sound works but how do i get the brightness-keys to work?

Is it possible to merge the ssd with a sdhc card? I tried to load some of the updates but it tells me i need over 1gb of free space that i actually don't have (165,8MB free on SSD)

I've read about merging two hard drives with raid ... so maybe it is also possible to merge the ssd with the sdhc. Has anybody tried that already?

@labiri: If you still search for a solution with the dock (i've read your post on demonoid) just delete the com.apple.dock.plist file (you'll find it under User->Library->Preferences). Then open Terminal and type "killall Dock" ...the original Leopard-Dock should appear now!

Greetings

Philipp

My fans are also running on a audible high speed and need a lot of power i think.

Is there any success on getting the internal mic and/or the headphone/microphone jacks to work?

What about the f-keys? Sound works but how do i get the brightness-keys to work?

I tried to load some of the updates but it tells me i need over 1gb of free space that i actually don't have (165,8MB free on SSD)

I've read about merging two hard drives with raid ... so maybe it is also possible to merge the ssd with the sdhc. Has anybody tried that already?

Hi PhilK, here's what i can answer:

Fans running high - it's because of the 511 bios... switch to latest version and you'll be fine. Power reserve dialog usually comes up when battery drains 10%. Try disabling camera and wireless in bios, this prolongs battery life.

Audio in : no way so far, i worked with The King on this, he has the same problem. Nothing so far. It seems to be related to powermanagement. Pinconfig is fine, verb data is fine. Just no sound. For now azalia is the only way. The problem does not seem to be in AppleHDA, it is from other kext ... Something disables sound.

Fn - keys: I'm afraid Fn keys are not software related - they work directly in bios. So : dunno :)

Apple updates: DON'T !!! If it works, don't fix it. Trust me, Apple does not release fixes for hackintosh... They're more trouble than fix for us usually. On EEE that multiplies a couple of times. I did manage to make a 10.5.6 version, hell i even slimed down everything to less then 3.2 GB, but it is way too unstable, plus permissions are a mess. Need to work more on this.

No merge- i think i've read somewhere about moving swap files to another location, but that's it.

Hi PhilK, here's what i can answer:

Fans running high - it's because of the 511 bios... switch to latest version and you'll be fine. Power reserve dialog usually comes up when battery drains 10%. Try disabling camera and wireless in bios, this prolongs battery life.

Audio in : no way so far, i worked with The King on this, he has the same problem. Nothing so far. It seems to be related to powermanagement. Pinconfig is fine, verb data is fine. Just no sound. For now azalia is the only way. The problem does not seem to be in AppleHDA, it is from other kext ... Something disables sound.

Fn - keys: I'm afraid Fn keys are not software related - they work directly in bios. So : dunno :thumbsup_anim:

Apple updates: DON'T !!! If it works, don't fix it. Trust me, Apple does not release fixes for hackintosh... They're more trouble than fix for us usually. On EEE that multiplies a couple of times. I did manage to make a 10.5.6 version, hell i even slimed down everything to less then 3.2 GB, but it is way too unstable, plus permissions are a mess. Need to work more on this.

No merge- i think i've read somewhere about moving swap files to another location, but that's it.

Wohoo! Thanks for your detailed answer!

With updates i meant things like Airport, iTunes, etc. I'd never update to 10.5.6 with "Software Update" :-) Even if this would be nice because ilife09 and iwork09 would work.

I was unsure with the bios cause i thought there are just a few that work with OS X - dunno where i got this info from.

I searched for some benchmarks of the internal ssd and found out that it seems like the ssd is not way faster than the A-Data 16gb SDHC eeePC-version. Maybe i'll give it a try and buy one to install the image onto the sd-card. - I need more space!!!!

It's a bummer that you can't install any software because of the small ssd!

Even just one of my IMAP-Mailaccounts filled the remaining space on the ssd!!

I temporarily fixed that problem with portable apps that i installed on an

old 1gb sd card. It works but it's not a solution that i wanna use permanently because of the delay-times and the problem that i couldn't find a way to get dock icons for these apps to work properly, etc.

I'm still in search of a solution to install applications on the sdhc while having the OS on the SSD!

Some apps like skype for example work fine but others like e.g. MS Office 2009 allow installation just to the System-drive.

Anybody got a solution for that?

LAN works! But after putting the EEE to sleep i couldn't get a connection to the internet (although it recognizes the LAN-connection) ...maybe just an issue with the DHCP or something.

Greetings from sunny Germany!

Philipp

Finally I have sama7896's image running in my eee900. My SD card must be damaged because I tried with another usb stick and it worked in the first attempt.

The sound is not working in the eee900, but I am planning to buy a usb sound like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21558

Do you think it will work?? Or do you know any other better model or brand?

For the wifi I will try to install a Dell 1390 card, but I haven't found anybody who has succeded in this in an eee900.

Anyway, thanks a lot to sama7896 and all the other people for your help.

I'm running sama's image on my EEE 4G 701! I installed it on the internal SSD and it works like charm!! (LAN, Webcam...)

Thanks for that sama!!! This week i'll get my Dell1390 mpcie Card so that even wifi should work.

Wlan-card is installed and works out of the box! Just had to plug it in and activate it in Bios!

Mac OS recognized the card without any problems!

Bought it at ebay for 16€ (postage & packaging already included)!

I love my new macbook mini!

Now i just have to find a solution to get some more disk space to install apps etc.

Maybe i'll get an A-Data 16gb sdhc on monday!

Then i'll put the OS on the sdhc!

I'm curious about how the performance will be!

Greetings

Phil

i found a solution to use the f-keys for brightness!

At Ipis OSX Wiki you'll find a kext which enables the brightness-keys (fn+f3/f4)

I tried it and it works! Only problem is, that my resolution is now 640x480 instead of 800x480!

I'm a little confused because i can't remember the way to fix that problem but i'm sure i already did that once!

- So it would be great if somebody can jog my memory ;-)

For so long i'll keep the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer with the 800x480 resolution...maybe someone can fit the file from ipis to the right solution.

Greetings

Phil

Hi !

Anyone here running 10.5.6 on a external drive on the eee 701 4g ? I am interested if you have sleep working ok ... I already created a 10.5.6 slimmed down image, but i have this problem with screen not resuming from sleep. If it works for you please tell me what distro you used for install and what video package... Thanks

PhilK, thanks for the tip with Fn keys, i gave up on that. GMA res-change/qe is don with framebuffer and Elliot's enabler. I'l play around to see what happens.

Hi !

Anyone here running 10.5.6 on a external drive on the eee 701 4g ? I am interested if you have sleep working ok ... I already created a 10.5.6 slimmed down image, but i have this problem with screen not resuming from sleep. If it works for you please tell me what distro you used for install and what video package... Thanks

PhilK, thanks for the tip with Fn keys, i gave up on that. GMA res-change/qe is don with framebuffer and Elliot's enabler. I'l play around to see what happens.

Wohoo can't wait to get my fingers on the 10.5.6 image! How small is it? Hope you'll find a way to fix that sleep-problem! I would help if i had a notion. But sadly i don't have enough experience with all that tweaking and hacking.

I can just help with some ideas and google-search results ;-)

I hope you can find a way to "merge" the file from ipis and the file that djoser posted then we could dim the brightness..although without the OSD

Have you deleted the spotlight-function and Time-Machine in your 10.5.5 image to slim it down?

Would be great if there is a way to get them back because i'm planning to install the OS on the a-data 16gb sdhc that i'll gonna buy on monday or tuesday and then there'll be enough space for these functions!

I also found a site with some interesting benchmarks (ssd, sdhc and usb sticks)! http://wiki.eeeuser.com/diskbenchmarks

The A-Data 16gb sdhc eeepc-edition seems to be just 3-4 mb/s slower than the internal ssd.

Also i'm planning to install an internal usb-hub with a fast corsair usb-stick and maybe a small CF-reader or to buy a mpcie-slot (the european-version doesn't have a free mpcie slot) and a fast mpcie ssd!

I've read some posts where they said that the internal ssd that is soldered to the mainboard will be deactivated when i plug the second mpcie ssd...is that right?

Hope somebody will find a solution to get the headphones and mic to work!

Greetings and thanks for all the support here!

Philipp