EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

I want to suggest:

A: When finished Installing from Sama's Image boot the install disk once more.

Go to Utilities and Repair Permissions before testing your newly installed system.

B: Get a 2Gb+ MemoryCard for the Eee's Built-in card reader and keep your user folder there

(So you can hasve som space for Music, Photos, MailData and Downloads)

Instructions:

1: Create new user

2: Copy Userfolder to the SD card

3: Go to Sysprefs-Accounts right click on your user and select advanced

4: Change the field where you put in your user folder location o the user folder on the SD card)

C: Install Chameleon

@tazli

no bad idea! Would be interesting if its also possible to move applications-folder to sd-card/usb-stick or at least install applications on the sd-card.

I tried portable apps but its not the way to go!

The missing space to install additional apps is the only thing that really bugs me. Finding a solution would be awesome!

@sama

Sleep does not work when something is plugged into the usb-ports.

Otherwise theres nothing i can critizise for now.

you really did a great job! thanks for that!

thanks, PhilK

I also wanna know how you installed... if you used a DVD, were there any problems booting ?

I'll provide you later today with a method of overcoming this... ( no worries ... :rolleyes: )

Hey sama,

I tried to install directly onto a external HDD (the third method you described in Readme) but it didn't boot up so i dropped the idea after the first attempt and installed your image on the internal ssd using an usb-stick. My stick was sooooo slow that i took my external USB-hdd instead -> Installation took about 10 mins instead of 30+ mins.

Don't know why, but i had some problems with a freezing chameleon installer. I tried to boot from the stick/external hdd without the completed bootloader-installation and it worked perfect.

I also had some problems with the Disk Utility. It crashes sometimes...but i tried it several times and that worked for me.

I installed spark for the volume-keys, skype, chax (icq-plugin for ichat), zattoo and itunes 8.1.1

I still have about 140-160mb free space depending on the safari cache...

Deleting the cache could bring a lot of missing space back!

I think thats it for now!

greetings

Phil

Hi

Reboot in safe mode.

Run osx86tools/ add efi strings/gfx strings-->Intel gma950. copy generated string. Integrate to com.apple.boot.plist in extra at device-ids. Alternative: Efi studio.

Next, open library/preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist; delete from displaysets anything but the first item.

Reboot

If that don't work, remove ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext and install old driver.

Cheers.

It doesn't work in safe mode either. (-x in chameleon, right?).

I get a grey screen with a mouse cursor. I tried installing with an external dvd drive and from a sd card with the same result. Repairing disk permissions is not solving the problem either.

I think I will have to wait for somebody else to try it on a eee900. At least I can use your v2 image, which is also really good.

If you have any other idea, please, let me know.

Thanks.

Thanks! Works fine but EEE now needs about 18sec to get into sleep mode after closing the lid...thats a lot :)

Do you have any idea if it is possible to install applications for example on the sdhc while having the system on the internal ssd?

Greetings Phil

can anyone help me with this.

I have installed the latest eeeLeopard_v3.1

i put it on a USB 4GB thumbdrive

i used the instructions in the read me file.

it worked perfect, i loaded the chameleon boot loader.

Then put the USB in the eeePC 701.

Started using esc, to select the USB as start drive.

it took a minute but it booted perfect.

I was in the mac OS, using all the mac features.

the only thing that didnt work was the wifi or the built in lan

so i took the usb out and put it back in the mac, that i had used to install the os on the USB drive.

it is also a OSX86 mac/pc

i figured, i would try the ACL Fix.app

see if it would fix anything

There was no instructions for it and when i googled it, i found nothing

so i just tried dropping the files on the acl programs.

now when i put the thumb drive back in the eeePC, i get an error

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot: error

and it goes to black

so i took the USB, totally erased it, using the macs disk util

and reinstall again. load bootloader.

when i put it in the eeePC, it looks like its going to boot into mac os

i get the apple start up like i did the first time.

but it then restarts back to the eeePC internal drive and i get the same error

so i take the USB out, to see if i can fix the files on it

and when i put it back in the mac, the disk is empty

Any ideas.

did the ACL Fix.app mess up my USB

how can i reset this, or what could be deleting my OS

the first time it did work, i just used the original bios that was installed.

Do i need to install this special bios.

And will my original linux work from the internal drive, if i have to use this new bios

i want it to dual boot

internal linux external USB Mac

can anyone help me with this.

I have installed the latest eeeLeopard_v3.1

i put it on a USB 4GB thumbdrive

i used the instructions in the read me file.

it worked perfect, i loaded the chameleon boot loader.

Then put the USB in the eeePC 701.

Started using esc, to select the USB as start drive.

it took a minute but it booted perfect.

I was in the mac OS, using all the mac features.

the only thing that didnt work was the wifi or the built in lan

so i took the usb out and put it back in the mac, that i had used to install the os on the USB drive.

it is also a OSX86 mac/pc

i figured, i would try the ACL Fix.app

see if it would fix anything

There was no instructions for it and when i googled it, i found nothing

so i just tried dropping the files on the acl programs.

now when i put the thumb drive back in the eeePC, i get an error

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot: error

and it goes to black

so i took the USB, totally erased it, using the macs disk util

and reinstall again. load bootloader.

when i put it in the eeePC, it looks like its going to boot into mac os

i get the apple start up like i did the first time.

but it then restarts back to the eeePC internal drive and i get the same error

so i take the USB out, to see if i can fix the files on it

and when i put it back in the mac, the disk is empty

Any ideas.

did the ACL Fix.app mess up my USB

how can i reset this, or what could be deleting my OS

the first time it did work, i just used the original bios that was installed.

Do i need to install this special bios.

And will my original linux work from the internal drive, if i have to use this new bios

i want it to dual boot

internal linux external USB Mac

First of all you should tell us what kind of netbook you use!

Have you erased the usb-stick with disk utility?

Your stick should be fine...maybe its just something with the filesystem. So if you have a mac use disk utility to totally erase the stick or if you have Windows use computer administration under system prefs (i'm not sure how its called exactly cause my windows was a german version.)

If you have a EEE 701 then you can use any BIOS for EEE 701. I use the newest version!

There should be no problem with dual-boot!

Wifi doesn't work on EEE 701 without changing the Wifi-Card! Get a Dell1390 from the bay (got mine for about 13€). The Dell 1390 is detected as a Airport Wireless and works perfect!

Greets Phil

First of all you should tell us what kind of netbook you use!

Have you erased the usb-stick with disk utility?

Your stick should be fine...maybe its just something with the filesystem. So if you have a mac use disk utility to totally erase the stick or if you have Windows use computer administration under system prefs (i'm not sure how its called exactly cause my windows was a german version.)

If you have a EEE 701 then you can use any BIOS for EEE 701. I use the newest version!

There should be no problem with dual-boot!

Wifi doesn't work on EEE 701 without changing the Wifi-Card! Get a Dell1390 from the bay (got mine for about 13€). The Dell 1390 is detected as a Airport Wireless and works perfect!

Greets Phil

Thanx for the fast reply phil

i fixed that

, i guess when i reformatted the drive after i messed it the first time, i set it as MBR , so when i reformatted last time I changed the partition format to GUID format. I had it HFS+ formatted but the MBR must have been my install error

and then when i rebooted

it works great again.

Except i have no wifi now.

it so awesome and seems so fast.

Any further work on the wifi

it is Atheros Corp. L1e Gigabit ethernet adapter (rev b0)

with the eeePC701

standard bios

I tried the uitlity it came with, Ralink USB utility and it says, no device

i just tried repairing the disk permissions, i know on my P5K asus and P5W, that the realtek driver always asked to fix permissions at boot. 1st boot. When i installed the OSX86 on them.

I guess i will look at the Dell 1390, thanx for the recommendation.

Going to look a little further to see if i can modify or add an extensions kext file

This is awesome, my dream come true too

cant wait to try my Digi mBox

Samas new image is grate.

But can anyone help me get my trackpad working ? The mouse does not move at all :(

Hey Tazli!

What Hardware do you have?

Check your settings under system prefs (Mouse&keyboard + VoodooPS2Controller) and maybe you can post what is selected.

otherwise you can try to reinstall the VoodooPS2Controller!

If you have a 701 i can post my settings (tapping & scrolling works)!

try reinstalling old driver

@all interested

check this out. It works

Hey Sama,

haven't tried it yet because of the limited space thats left on my drive.

Do you notice any improvements? Is this just interesting for gaming or does it also affect (speed up) "normal" system-performance like system-animations, movies, etc.?

What about the speedstep-thing! Does this work properly already in your image or is there a way activate it ....that should give us some more minutes of battery-life.

greetings Phil

Do you notice any improvements? Is this just interesting for gaming or does it also affect (speed up) "normal" system-performance like system-animations, movies, etc.?

What about the speedstep-thing! Does this work properly already in your image or is there a way activate it ....that should give us some more minutes of battery-life.

greetings Phil

Have not done any benchmarks, but speed definitely improved a lot. There's not that many games that the eee will run anyway ( i don't know if you tried, i did - because of the limited resolution), but system wide performance gets a real boost with this hack tool, without much impact on battery life.

Celeron processors are not capable of speedstep ( i actually tried voodoo power - it completely destroys system responsiveness). If you want more battery life, disable anything you don't actually use in bios.

Jep! Same thing here!

Do you have samas v3 image? Because on v2 i had no problems with that. My Dell1390 connected automatically after sleep.

I also have problems with audio! After sleep i have no sound until i press the mute-shortcut twice.

Do you have the same problem?

Maybe this is caused by the usb-unmount-script that sama has posted and that i have installed

i'm running the eeepc 701 with the dell 1390 wifi, has anyone else noticed that the card does not auto connect... is there a fix for this. i'm running on verizon fios internet.

Maybe this is caused by the usb-unmount-script that sama has posted and that i have installed

About the unmount issue... Try to make the sleep command more specific.. something like:

umount -f /Volumes/name_of_the_sd_card_or_whatever {use within quotes if the name of the drive has a space in it}

or if that don't work

diskutil umount /Volumes/name_of_the_sd_card_or_whatever

and remove that line in wakeup file... i think it's kind of pointless, since os picks up devices by itself anyway on wake.

about the wireless... have you tried to restore the 10.5.5 IO80211Family.kext ? (backup current one first) OR add to sleep script sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext and to wakeup add sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext {but that somewhat more tricky since you have to authorize the unload/load procedure with sudo visudo}

about the wireless... have you tried to restore the 10.5.5 IO80211Family.kext ? (backup current one first)

ok first off where would i find the that kext. second.. maybe i missed something in the instructions but i can't figure out the sudo password for the life of me. what was it set too??

ok first off where would i find the that kext. second.. maybe i missed something in the instructions but i can't figure out the sudo password for the life of me. what was it set too??

I Think it was "hack"

You should change username & password under system prefs -> User

about the wireless... have you tried to restore the 10.5.5 IO80211Family.kext ? (backup current one first) OR add to sleep script sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext and to wakeup add sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext {but that somewhat more tricky since you have to authorize the unload/load procedure with sudo visudo}

I fear i deleted the old IO80211Family.kext so i can't restore it ...could you pls upload it anywhere?

I deleted the sleepwatcher thing...it just caused trouble ...sometimes eee doesn't want to fall a sleep and it took so long until eee finally sleeps after closing the lid.

no sleep works fine!

Problem with audio & wifi still exists

Greetings

Phil

Hi, Thanks for this version3 sama7896 and all other contributors.

I brought a dell 1390 wifi card off ebay for £13 have installed in my eee 4g, loving this version of osx and it responds suprisingly well on this eee.

It's a shame that the I can't seem to get the system to remember my wifi password, I'm not familiar with osx being mainly PC most my life.

Perhaps there is a possibility to add a icon to the desktop, once clicked this could run a script to connect to a common wifi connection setting. I'm not familiar with osx to know where to start but I'll have a look around and see if I can find something to make this possible.

Once again thanks for everything, you've given my old eee a new lease of life and also a chance for me to experience osx.

Hi all,

Is there any way to help me out ?

I am desperately needing Sama's V3 or even V2 image for my Asus Eee 8G in order to hack it to OSX Leopard.

Please please please upload it to any free server if you want me to be happy.

I know I am a newbie on this forum and on this O.S. but I can assure you I am very experienced on other computer matters and forums.

Unfortunately I got late here in this post and this image file is not in demon now nor in any other site for anynmore and to my knowledge it is easily installable using any windows pc (I have no Mac computer here)

A million thanks for your kind help in advance !

Sabrina

Hi all,

Is there any way to help me out ?

I am desperately needing Sama's V3 or even V2 image for my Asus Eee 8G in order to hack it to OSX Leopard.

Please please please upload it to any free server if you want me to be happy.

I know I am a newbie on this forum and on this O.S. but I can assure you I am very experienced on other computer matters and forums.

Unfortunately I got late here in this post and this image file is not in demon now nor in any other site for anynmore and to my knowledge it is easily installable using any windows pc (I have no Mac computer here)

A million thanks for your kind help in advance !

Sabrina

Hi, I dont have a mac either but it wasn't a simple install I'm afraid. The v3 disk install appears to have disk utitlity disabled, therefore I couldn't erase the eee ssd to the correct format to install osx. I overcame this problem as I had another leopard disk that I had downloaded a few months ago, i used this to get to the point in the install where it allowed me to use disk utility and erase, then I restarted the machine and installed osx with the v3 disk.

I don't have access to an upload facility so I can't place the disk for you anywhere, sorry. I downloaded via torrent and left it up for a couple of days but I've removed mine seed now, sorry my internet connection isn't great anyway.