HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Note: The dsdt.dsl its ready for inject anything you want. Have notes and complementary information about changes. I hope special attention and help from BlackCH and yushir, and everyone who want to help us... I will appreciate it guys... Thanks and Good Luck.

Hi, thanks for sharing! I will have a look to it

Attached my last dsdt, with some changes. In the .dsl you can see all you need to know about it.

Information:

No more sata and usb hack code, all the old code has been commented for reference, the lines commented starting with "/*" w/o quotes, and ending with "*/" w/o quotes. These commented method has the same effect than to erase code, as resulted in the DSDT.aml. If you want, you can to erase all the commented code in the .dsl.

Changes:

UPDATE 31/01/2010: To much less code DSDT. And I prefer AppleACPIBatteryManager (32 bits) attached from E/E/, instead Voodoobattery.

Continue in post 156...

Juanerson, does your battery meter work flawlessly (no KP) now that you are using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext? Did you apply any DSDT code for making it more compatible?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Juanerson, does your battery meter work flawlessly (no KP) now that you are using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext? Did you apply any DSDT code for making it more compatible?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Hi, in my signature you have the AppleACPIBatteryManager (32 bits) Im using... that extension load from Extra/Extensions/ or S/L/E and do the job perfectly... no KP... so, its important please, dont forget rebuilt the cache. Then, you can use the dsdt_v0.09_generic from BlackCH (post 1), of course you need open the file and compile it with DSDTSE 1.4.3 to make a DSDT.aml, or you can use the last one compiled by me (MAY 01)... Both worked fine. Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed SL on my hp6720s following the post in this topic... THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT WORK ;-)

I fought every step with the compatibility of my CPU Celeron 550, but has passed! (thx Kate for your good post)

now I'm running SN 10.6.4 and everything works right, except (obviously) the video card.

I read all the posts about the brightness bug but I'm not able to fix it, also with the Keyboard Maestro controller..

when I try to execute the script (or try the application 'brightness') I read the response:

bad CPU type in executable

is there a way to edit or to resolve this?

PS I don't mind the brightness res, so if there's a way to exclude any setting of it and run only the video card with screen res and QE enabled it would be ok for my use...

hello

i had to give up with Snow Leopard and revert back to 10.5.8 as the x3100 video drivers for Snow Leopard are not 100% used to suffer many panics when accessing OpenGL part of programs like CS5 ,CS3 ,also frequent panics when editing photographs in iPhoto . the panic message always pointed to the video drivers .

10.5.7/8 works flawlessly so until a solution to 100% working drivers for Snow Leopard 10.6 to 10.6.4 appear 10.5.7/8 is best for me right now on HP 6720S . :(

...i had to give up with Snow Leopard and revert back to 10.5.8 as the x3100 video drivers for Snow Leopard are not 100% used to suffer many panics when accessing OpenGL part of programs like CS5 ,CS3 ,also frequent panics when editing photographs in iPhoto . the panic message always pointed to the video drivers .

10.5.7/8 works flawlessly so until a solution to 100% working drivers for Snow Leopard 10.6 to 10.6.4 appear 10.5.7/8 is best for me right now on HP 6720S . :(

Hi, I agree with you... even after apply the Snow Leopard Graphics Update. Therefore, request some help please, can you upload your x3100 Leopard 10.5.8 stuff (from S/L/E)? Its about 4MB file size into .zip... because maybe works in S.L. (i386 boot)... I will to test it. Those extensions files are (6):

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Can anyone tell me if its safe to apply the Snow Leopard Graphics Update ?? Does the ID patch need to be redone afterward?...

Hi, the graphics update (10.6.4) its completely safe…, so probably that ID need it to re-apply, because the framebuffer driver X3100FB.kext has changed.

P.D. also the Security Update 2010-005 (Snow Leopard - Client) its safe.

hey there.. I´m using my 6720s with macOS 10.6.4 and all is running very well, except of one thing.. after around 2days I have to restart because somehow my macOS freezes, I can move the mice and also open applications, but after some time, these app´s also freeze and I can´t close them...

Can someone help me with this, please?

@BlackCH, Please take a look there, courtesy of pyildirim (its another simple way, also from scratch):

Worked perfect for fix our factory dsdt (F.0D N)... and only three steps. So, in our case delete the first one line, then search for C39F (first patch), and \_TZ.C39F (second patch)... replace it and done! My god, this guy is a genius! Im testing now the dsdt with those fixes + USB (injection) + HPET (simplified) + RTC, TIMR (IRQs removed). Note that thermalzones are perfect called from ssdt... and I almost sure of feeling more efficient fan job.

(see edit) Seems to be than HP-compaq bioses structures is not the problem, maybe always was the Compiler... and the problem (compile errors) re-appears on C39F section if you attempt to re-compile the resultant .aml file... Im using DSDTSE 1.4.3 (installed from the official last .pkg).

(see edit) Please, see the post 2. I think there is the key for a final solution, to obtain the more clean result, maybe using the MSASL for decompile from windows, and following his instructions. I will try. Good luck.

EDIT: Excellent found by pyildirim, less code (thermalzones) in dsdt now, BUT talking about bios structure (bad) and decompile/compile method, at the end I get the same results, same errors, same optimizations... and all things BTW.

In Spanish: pyildirim aplicó ingeniería inversa para darse cuenta de los dos errores y posteriores correcciones (parches), porque en el primer paso al obtener el .ASL se ve claramente el primer fix (C39F), y en la segunda corrección lo que se hace es aplicar el mismo criterio de las llaves cerradas "()", y el compilador IASL se encargará de aplicar el fix, es decir, el código correcto... luego se eliminan un par de llaves sobrantes y listo. En fin, esas son también las dos mismas secciones de errores (que corrigen los 45 errores totales) que yo encontré, ahora bien, yo lo hice de una manera más larga y con más código... mientras que él desde mi punto de vista, lo encontró y resolvió mucho más inteligentemente. Saludos.

Hi guys! New member here and wanted to share some info for other osx86 newbies. Thanks to this thread I am up and running on a 6820s, dual boot (of sorts) xp and osx 10.6, This version was required to install the iPhone sdk, so I'm a very happy camper! Everything appears to be working except wifi (I have the Intel/Pro wireless. As I understand it, broadcom will work, or maybe some usb cards) Here are some important steps which helped me, a total osx86 newbie, reach this happy ending.

Equipment used:

*The list of things referred to in the text guide found in the poster's boot disk directory.

*Second 2.5 hard disk and USB adapter/enclosure (Philips -probably any type will work though).

*Ethernet cable (I'm ok with not having wifi for my purposes)

*Small phillps head screwdriver

Notes

Signing up for this forum: I was perplexed for some time as to why I couldn't download anything from the forum. Finally I realized that clicking the verification link allows you to log in, but does does not fully verify your account. You have to also go back to your original email and type in the code. Without that step, you will only get a very uninformative "you are not authorized" message when you try to download anything, such as the Kext Utility that you need to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4.

Re the retail 10.6. disk: if you only have your backup copy of this disk, burned to a dual layer dvd, that seems to work fine.

The steps.

Note: This is to the best of my recollection, after a lot of trial and error and many dead ends. Your mileage may vary.

Follow the guide contained in the txt file in the boot disk download. It's easier to follow all the steps from his blog, linked from the first post. You will find all the files and current information about updates there. Using the info in the posts there, I got updated to 10.6.4.

I had originally tried to keep my original xp installation and attempted to install osx86 to a second FAT partition. This did not work for me however. The install did not recognize the FAT partition, and Disk Utility insisted on wiping the entire drive. Maybe this problem had something to do with my existing XP installation being on an NTFS partition. Anyway I finally gave up and bought a second SATA 2.5 drive and took out my xp drive and set it aside. It was smooth sailing from that point on and I was soon updated to 10.6.4. on my new drive.

At this point I had proof of concept that osx86 would work on my laptop, but my "dual boot" consisted of swapping out two SATA drives, which would be not so convenient, and would put a lot of wear and tear on the internal drive connector. So, I decided to gamble $15 on an external drive enclosure. I took the completed osx86 drive out of the laptop and left the internal connector empty. I put the drive into the SATA 2.5 enclosure (scary - it fit really tight. I didn't like putting that much pressure on the drive case. Be sure to push on the edges and not apply pressure to the center of the drive). To my utter shock it booted up perfectly on the first try! Booting from USB seems a little slower, but acceptable.

When I put my xp internal drive back inside the computer, I had a problem at first with it booting straight into XP, apparently not recognizing the external drive as a valid boot device. I played around with bios (F10) and these setting seem to have resolved the problem:

Boot order:

Optical Drive

USB Hard disk

Hard drive

USB Device Detection Delay: 4 seconds.

So, obviously the lucky part here is that the external drive, if plugged in, will boot up! I assume it doesn't matter what OS you are using on the internal drive, so this "dual boot" system should be compatible with any OS on the internal drive. When you boot up, it will first look for the external osx86 usb drive. If it is not plugged in on bootup, you will boot to your internal OS.

I don't know if I actually *had* to switch the drives out to begin with. Maybe it is possible to do this install directly onto an external usb drive in the first place. However, switching them out just requires a few minutes and a small phillips head screwdriver, so it could be the easiest way to go.

Thanks so much for all the time and hard work that is being put into this project!! Really amazing cooperative effort!!!!!

After freeze, reboot. Then look at your console log for more info. (Console.app).

After few days without a freeze I actually had one... but my log didn´t say anything about it... the last 2hours, the machine run, the only logs where from adium and chrome.. nothing about some system-errors or so on...

I will try another DSDT and will see how it works and post, whats happening

Hello great founders of this topic :) I own a hp 6720s dual core and I was really looking forward to use osx on it. I have the installation disk of my imac (osx 10.6.2). And according to the first post I can download a complete installation package incl. a guide. But the download on mediafire? does not seems to work.

I am a complete beginner on installing osx on "pc" therefore all the information is welcome :) That is why I want to know if that package or a similar product is available? You could really help me by telling me where to download so I can begin this journey.

Many thank.

funkyole

Ok for some reason, the downloads seams to work now. When finished I'll give it a try, many thanks for developing this!

Hello great founders of this topic :unsure: I own a hp 6720s dual core and I was really looking forward to use osx on it. I have the installation disk of my imac (osx 10.6.2). And according to the first post I can download a complete installation package incl. a guide. But the download on mediafire? does not seems to work.

I am a complete beginner on installing osx on "pc" therefore all the information is welcome ;) That is why I want to know if that package or a similar product is available? You could really help me by telling me where to download so I can begin this journey.

Many thank.

funkyole

I downloaded all your files and installation guide. Made mij HDD an unformatted one, booted from the bootdisk, changed to IMAC osx 10.6.2 original disk and started intallation.

But then I get the message: cant install on this computer, restore from backup or restart.

Can it be that the installation disk is for Imac? the problem?

kind regards

...But then I get the message: cant install on this computer, restore from backup or restart. Can it be that the installation disk is for Imac? the problem?

kind regards

Probably yes, the disc from your iMac give you that error message, if is not a dvd retail (10.6) one! Also, I think the retail 10.6.2 disc its not full supported by the set of extensions, maybe Im wrong... But, additionally would be fine your specifications for we better help to you.

Probably yes, the disc from your iMac give you that error message, if is not a dvd retail (10.6) one! Also, I think the retail 10.6.2 disc its not full supported by the set of extensions, maybe Im wrong... But, additionally would be fine your specifications for we better help to you.

Thankyou,

my configuration is ( I believe, according to your signature similar to yours)

HP Compaq 6720s

intel T5470 @1.60

2gb ram

chipset: Intel 965 GME/GLE

hitachi 120 (standard)

Video: 965 express chipset family

HP Compaq 6720s

intel T5470 @1.60

2gb ram

chipset: Intel 965 GME/GLE

hitachi 120 (standard)

Video: 965 express chipset family

Graphic x3100 2A02 or 2A12? Everest hardware report give you that information.

OK, no problem... so, try with "RETAIL DISC" 10.6, please dont forget the readme instructions of the boot disc by BlackCH, also consider that retail disc take long time to load. Then tell us what happened. Good Luck.

Graphic x3100 2A02 or 2A12? Everest hardware report give you that information.

OK, no problem... so, try with "RETAIL DISC" 10.6, please dont forget the readme instructions of the boot disc by BlackCH, also consider that retail disc take long time to load. Then tell us what happened. Good Luck.

Not sure about that graphic card version, see the output of a everest report below. If everything goes well I'm able to get a Retail version tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

Thnx

[ Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family ]

Video Adapter Eigenschappen:

Apparaatbeschrijving Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Adapterserie Mobile Intel® GMA X3100

BIOS Versie Intel Video BIOS

Chiptype Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

DAC Type Intern

Geinstalleerde Besturingssoftware igxprd32 (6.14.10.4906)

Geheugengrootte 384 MB

Video Adapter Fabrikant:

Firmanaam Intel Corporation

Productinformatie http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm

Besturingssoftware download http://support.intel.com/support/graphics

[ Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family ]

Video Adapter Eigenschappen:

Apparaatbeschrijving Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Adapterserie Mobile Intel® GMA X3100

BIOS Versie Intel Video BIOS

Chiptype Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

DAC Type Intern

Geinstalleerde Besturingssoftware igxprd32 (6.14.10.4906)

Geheugengrootte 384 MB

Video Adapter Fabrikant:

Firmanaam Intel Corporation

Productinformatie http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm

Besturingssoftware download http://support.intel.com/support/graphics

Not sure about that graphic card version, see the output of a everest report below. If everything goes well I'm able to get a Retail version tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

Thnx

That info you posted not help to much, a full "hardware related" report (not resume report) from everest ultimate 5.50 it can tell you all about your laptop. Once you save it to .html, open it and search first for 2a02, and second for 2a12, and let me know what you found, the first or the second? Thats your x3100 variant... the first one dont need pacth driver, but second (the BlackCH patcher) post installation.

after my last post, I tried everything I found on the forums... but I still can't have good results on my video card (2a12): with the right kext installed the brightness function is still reverted, and I can't change the brightness with the Maestro shortcut because of my CPU (Celeron 550)...

so at this point I have to choose: graphic card installed with black screen, or snow installed without screen res and QE enabled (that I need to work) :rolleyes:

please, someone on the forum with my configuration (celeron 550 and X3100 2a12 with well-known brightness bug) has solved this or has any idea that I can try?

thx and congratulations for your great work!

That info you posted not help to much, a full "hardware related" report (not resume report) from everest ultimate 5.50 it can tell you all about your laptop. Once you save it to .html, open it and search first for 2a02, and second for 2a12, and let me know what you found, the first or the second? Thats your x3100 variant... the first one dont need pacth driver, but second (the BlackCH patcher) post installation.

Yes, I was very lucky to recieve a retail osx 10.6 today. I installed it according to the guide included in the package. Everything worked fine but when I installed the 6720s install file After the first reboot the backlight went off.

I have got the 2a02 version of 3100. So I think I dont need use that "HP6720s_Installer" but install only the things I need? Am I correct about this?

One other point of doubt is manually add P-states data. I have no idea what is means and if I need it.

I'm going to reinstall the whole OSX and wait for reply after combo update. (i wont reboot after and leave it on)

Cheers!

@funkyole, the entire installer its optional, you dont need patched x3100 kexts, and almost all the set of extensions you need are present in my signature... But, of course after read to you, its obviously for me that you didnt have read the post! I meant, about speedstep (optional custom p-satates), kexts folders (/E/E and S/L/E)... so, please that doubts has been discussed - explained - clarified here... Therefore, please take your time to "understand" all the things. Good Luck.