HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

I can't buy broadcom card

but with this tuto I think change the bcm43xx fils with fils for arbxb63

correct me if wrong

no, what it does is to change the SUBSYS ID in the card firmware, so it passes the BIOS check. The vendor and device ID for this card is already in the BIOS, so they can remain as they were. Besides it uses a software specially designed for broadcom firmware

I dont think this HP compaq series ship with Atheros wifi (maybe Im wrong), so probably the device ID is not on the BIOS. In that case you do need to modify the BIOS (I guess modifying the vendor/device ID in the card would probably render it unusable). I dont recommend you to do that if you dont have experience. You could end up with a dead laptop easily

Are you sure this Atheros card you have its even supported natively in OSX?

A broadcom card will cost you 10 euros (or even less) out of e-bay... Maybe you even get one from a HP laptop and you dont have to do any hacks

Hello I have a hp compaq 610 running snow leopard 10.6.3 everything works except brightness control ( when i dim it down one side is darker then the other side 0.O ) and i cant get sleep to work just wont turn back up when put to sleep :( plz help me.

thanks i got it to sleep now but, when I turn it back on it seems like my fan isnt working is there a fix for that?

A couple of things before anything:

Please dont quote whole long posts like you did in post #432. It makes the topic difficult to read. Please edit it. Thanks

In order to help you we need to know a lot more: your machine specs (cpu, chipset, graphics, wifi chip, audio chip, ethernet chip); Is best if you do a signature with all this data. We need to know which method you used to install in the first place, which packages did you use, etc.

Last, read the whole topic (or at least the last 10 pages) before asking; Im sure there are already many answers to your question there

Now, regarding your problem:

Did you install sleepwatcher package from post #1?

cpu:intel celeron 1.87ghz x 2

chipset:GM965

video card:GMAx3100

wifi card:HP Mini 1000 PCI Wireless Card 504593-001 802.11B/G (bought on ebay)

ram:3gb ddr2

audio: used voodoo HDA

installed method: used empire [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disc to boot up snow leopard, used combo update to 10.6.3

yes i have installed sleepwatcher idk if its working, but it does go to sleep now and starts up right just that my fan doesn't wake up also idk if my tempture is normal it idles at 42 C.

installed method: used empire [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disc to boot up snow leopard, used combo update to 10.6.3

yes i have installed sleepwatcher idk if its working, but it does go to sleep now and starts up right just that my fan doesn't wake up also idk if my tempture is normal it idles at 42 C.

Install the packages from post #1 (Extra and Extensions), also update the DSDT file with the v0.09 (needs to be compiled with iASLme.app before). Have in mind this files are ment for HP 6720s, so you might have some compatibility issues

42C idle is fine

well firstly let me say I have been curiously watching this thread for a while now ,and I am glad to tell you I have a fully functional HP 6720S with Snow Leopard 10.6 thanks to your v2 cd you just released.

I had perfect 10.5.8 on this machine it became main user machine , however curiosity got the better of me so i bought a retail disk to work with your boot up cd .

i followed instructions to the line yet it kept hanging on a blue screen or non functional keyboard and mouse after applying your installer once I applied and installed the 10.6.3 COMBO !

So I started again every time 5 times i got the same result ,the last time I decided not to install the 10.6.3 Update i just let the 10.6 retail install finish and applied your Hp install and patched the video for resolution 1280x 800 AND SUCCESS 100% .

whilst im happy to have fully functional snow leopard on hp 6720s i am baffled that is breaks after the 10.6.3 UPDATE any ideas ??

on that thanks for all your persistent hard work wouldnt have it running without the HP boot cd you released yesterday.

update

slight alteration to applying 10.6.3 update

instead of applying 10.6.3 update after successful install with your boot disk and 10.6 retail

i applied your hp installer then rebooted then ran the combo 10.6.3 update let it do its thing and reboot then applied your x3100 patch for video

result 100% 10.6.3 thanks to your cd ,full brightness control working will look at temps once I installed a few programs .

brian

scre.tiff

Amigo BlackCH, he intentado con varios códigos de resolver el problema "Open the lid doesnt wake up the machine", sin éxito, ni siquiera aparente. He realizado la prueba en windows 7 ultimate 32 bit... y en mi caso tampoco despierta la máquina cuando abro la tapa. En mi opinión tal vez no sea posible de ninguna manera por ausencia de tal función en el propio hardware... pero por supuesto que puedo estar equivocado, puesto que en realidad no se si funciona en xp o linux. Sin embargo, es mi deber sugerirte que no lo consideres dentro de la categoría "Limitations and bugs", ya que al menos a nivel de DSDT está difícil conseguirlo. Saludos, gracias y felicitaciones por tus excelentes contribuciones.

Amigo BlackCH, he intentado con varios códigos de resolver el problema "Open the lid doesnt wake up the machine", sin éxito, ni siquiera aparente.

Yo tambien he probado algunas cosas al respecto y como tu no he obtenido resultados... Hare la prueba con windows XP

Has visto esto?

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

parece interesante

Un saludo

kernel panic

I have removed my extra and install the new in the thread with DSDT

and add kext to extension

i dont now why

boot with -f flag, maybe that helps.

But, I recommend you to do a re-install with the boot CD from post #1, and follow the instructions on the README file to the letter.

Otherwise is difficult to help, 'cos I have to guess many things

Yo tambien he probado algunas cosas al respecto y como tu no he obtenido resultados... Hare la prueba con windows XP

Has visto esto?

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

parece interesante

Un saludo

Lo he leido y nos abre bastantes posibilidades. Básicamente no tenemos activado el sensor de la GPU. Si esta tarde tengo tiempo lo probare y comentare a ver que tal.

:(

post-51637-1275330780.png

get the last version (at the moment rev 93) from the topic and install in S/L/E (otherwise it panics).

Comment out ALS0 device from the DSDT or you get a lot of errors...

The value 'GPU Diode' is locked, but this is in an early state of development

Theres some DSDT customizations to do in order to get the ACPI plugin going (I havent try anything yet), and the sensor chip from my 6720s is not yet supported by the LPC plugin...

Anyway it looks very promesing!

Edit:

This code will make the ACPI plugin to load, but yet we need to find the right addreses to do the readings...

Device (\_SB.C003.C004.C3D6)
   {
       Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C02"))
       Name (_UID, 0x02)
       Name (_CID, "monitor")     //my addition
       Name (\_SB.C003.C004.C267, ResourceTemplate ()
       {
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0010,             // Range Minimum
               0x0010,             // Range Maximum
               0x01,               // Alignment
               0x10,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0024,             // Range Minimum
               0x0024,             // Range Maximum
               0x1C,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x004E,             // Range Minimum
               0x004E,             // Range Maximum
               0x02,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0050,             // Range Minimum
               0x0050,             // Range Maximum
               0x04,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0063,             // Range Minimum
               0x0063,             // Range Maximum
               0x01,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0065,             // Range Minimum
               0x0065,             // Range Maximum
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0067,             // Range Minimum
               0x0067,             // Range Maximum
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0074,             // Range Minimum
               0x0074,             // Range Maximum
               0x04,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0090,             // Range Minimum
               0x0090,             // Range Maximum
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x00A4,             // Range Minimum
               0x00A4,             // Range Maximum
               0x1A,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0500,             // Range Minimum
               0x0500,             // Range Maximum
               0x80,               // Length
               )
           IO (Decode16,
               0x0800,             // Range Minimum
               0x0800,             // Range Maximum
               )
           Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
               0xFFB00000,         // Address Base
               0x00100000,         // Address Length
               )
           Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
               0xFFF00000,         // Address Base
               0x00100000,         // Address Length
               )
       })

OperationRegion (TMIF, SystemMemory, 0xFF800160, 0x20)
       Field (TMIF, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
                   {
                       THS0,   8,     // thermometer, used by Thermal Zone
                       THS1,   8,     // unknown sensor 
                       THS2,   8,    // one more
                               Offset (0x08), 
                       FAN1,   8,    // FAN, the only one I have
                               Offset (0x10), 
                       TSP0,   8,    // hot point?
                       TSC0,   8,   // critical temperature used by Thermal Zone
                       TSP1,   8,   // ??
                       TSC1,   8    // catastrophic value?
                   }

Method (SMC0, 0, NotSerialized) //System FAN0
                   {
                       Store (FAN1, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                    }

Method (SMCA, 0, NotSerialized) //CPU heatsink
                   {
                       Store (THS0, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                    }

Method (SMCB, 0, NotSerialized) //MCH Northbrige
                   {
                       Store (THS1, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                    }

Method (SMCC, 0, NotSerialized) //AUX sensor
                   {
                       Store (THS2, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                    }

}

My machine has an ADM1021A which is a temperature monitor only, so I guess I cannot read fan speed:

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/produ...id=ADM1021AARQZ

I'm getting mad at this. I've got speedstep enabled and custom p-states (in fact, i even gave up my p-states and i'm loading blackch's dsdt, who has the same configuration as i do), but my cpu won't change the p-state. It stays always at it's lowest (600 mhz). Please note that if i comment _PSS on CPU's i got my cpu throttling as it should be.

Anyone has a clue about this?

EDIT: I've been trying brightness and it does simply not solve our problem. What it does is that it lets us to slowly turn off brightness, but it isn't the values it should be. We ought to try tell OS X how our backlight works via DSDT (i posted the fix, but the methods it uses aren't on 6720s DSDT).

—EDIT3: Device C1AE = LCD.

EDIT2: @BlackCH. I see that in your DSDT you've these p-states among others: on AC 1600@1.0250 and on Battery 1400@1.0375. It's that fine? It's pretty weird that you're ov one p-state and uv another one (well it's just a quest, i may be wrong anycase).

EDIT4: You said we can't get to know at which speed is the fan currently running because we do not have any sensor that does the job. But really, we don't need a sensor to do it. That's because we're telling OS X at which speeds the fan can go, so that we must only ask OS X which is the current speed and it'll be done.

There's a kext (CpuI.kext) that returns the voltage and the current mhz of the cpu (not exactly but does the job).

EDIT2: @BlackCH. I see that in your DSDT you've these p-states among others: on AC 1600@1.0250 and on Battery 1400@1.0375. It's that fine? It's pretty weird that you're ov one p-state and uv another one (well it's just a quest, i may be wrong anycase).

This is the code I have on my p-states:

Package (0x06)
			{
				0x0640, 
				0x7D00, 
				0x0A, 
				0x0A, 
				0x0812, 
				0x0812
			}, 

Package (0x06)
			{
				0x0578, 
				0x6978, 
				0x0A, 
				0x0A, 
				0x070E, 
				0x070E
			},

Im using VID 0x12 for multi 8 and VID 0x0E for multi 7. Is that what you have?

EDIT4: You said we can't get to know at which speed is the fan currently running because we do not have any sensor that does the job. But really, we don't need a sensor to do it. That's because we're telling OS X at which speeds the fan can go, so that we must only ask OS X which is the current speed and it'll be done.

We cannot measure fan speed in RPM just by picking the values from a register, you can check in windows with everest. Theres no embeded method to report fan RPM

post-51637-1275648021_thumb.jpg

As far as I understand the fan control works by porcentual:

Name (C397, Package (0x06) //fan speed table
	{
		0x64, = 100%
		0x46, = 70%.....etc
		0x37, 
		0x28, 
		0x00, 
		0x00
	})

But we dont know the actual speed.

Yes, we don't know the actual RPM. But as you said we know the % and we do know the maximum (2500 rpm). We won't get real rpm's, but who cares? We do want the fan speed to simply change it in case we don't like the actual one.

Yes, i do have that values but coolbook is reporting me invalid values then.

Related what i said on speedstep, do you have any clue why it won't change state when p-states are defined on bios?

bLACKch what is your cooling method which Kexts are you using because voodoopowermini is not loading after reboots. appreciate if you could advise the best cooling solution.

brian

We are currently using native speedstep (no extra kexts needed). Read the thread for the guidelines

Related what i said on speedstep, do you have any clue why it won't change state when p-states are defined on bios?

No Idea. Could be you forgot to uninstall some CPU related kext? Did you try with last juanerson DSDT?

I will recheck here, but for how the machine is working I guess the CPU is throttling just fine

EDIT:

Is working here and the voltage seems right too

In case, do you still have coolbook kext installed? I guess it's the one causing the trouble.

Also, have anyone noted that to get sound after sleep we do need to silence volume and then volume up/down.

I've always had problems with p-states. Sometimes it stayed at max, sometimes it didn't go down… I'll recheck all my kexts.

In case, do you still have coolbook kext installed? I guess it's the one causing the trouble.

Also, have anyone noted that to get sound after sleep we do need to silence volume and then volume up/down.

I've always had problems with p-states. Sometimes it stayed at max, sometimes it didn't go down… I'll recheck all my kexts.

I only installed coolbook kext for checking the cpu throttling, but there was related a task still running on Activity Monitor app (coolbookswitcher) I had to delete too.

Here is something interesting about VIDs:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry4727

It make me wonder if I have them right...

In my case the volume doesnt stay through sleep. It reset to some value (I think is always the same value), and is kind of soft after sleep. But moving the slide is enough to bring it up again.

Regarding temp monitoring I think the key is here:

OperationRegion (C1D2, EmbeddedControl, 0x00, 0xFF)
				Field (C1D2, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
							Offset (0x80), 
							Offset (0x81), 
						,   4, 
					C1D3,   4, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
					C1D4,   1, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
					C1D5,   1, 
					C1D6,   1, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
						,   1, 
					C1D7,   1, 
					C12B,   1, 
					C1D8,   1, 
					C1D9,   1, 
					C1DA,   2, 
					C1DB,   1, 
					C1DC,   4, 
					C1DD,   1, 
							Offset (0x86), 
					C1DE,   4, 
							Offset (0x87), 
					C1DF,   8, 
					C1E0,   8, 
					C1E1,   16, 
							Offset (0x8D), 
					C1E2,   16, 
							Offset (0x91), 
					C1E3,   1, 
							Offset (0x92), 
					C1E4,   16, 
							Offset (0x95), 
					C1E5,   16, 
					C1E6,   16, 
					C1E7,   4, 
							Offset (0x9D), 
					C1E8,   16, 
					C1E9,   16, 
					C1EA,   16, 
					C1EB,   16, 
					C1EC,   16, 
					C1ED,   16, 
					C1EE,   16, 
					C1EF,   16, 
					C1F0,   16, 
							Offset (0xB1), 
					C1AF,   16, 
							Offset (0xB5), 
					C1F1,   8, 
							Offset (0xB7), 
					C1F2,   16, 
					C1F3,   8, 
							Offset (0xBD), 
					C1F4,   8, 
							Offset (0xC1), 
					C1F5,   64, 
					C1F6,   16, 
					C1F7,   16, 
					C1F8,   8, 
							Offset (0xD1), 
					C1F9,   32, 
					C1FA,   8, 
					C1FB,   8, 
					C1FC,   8, 
					C1FD,   8, 
					C1FE,   8, 
					C1FF,   8, 
					C200,   8, 
					C201,   8, 
					C202,   4, 
					C203,   4, 
					C204,   16, 
					C205,   16, 
							Offset (0xE3), 
					C206,   4, 
							Offset (0xE4), 
							Offset (0xE5), 
					C207,   1, 
					C208,   1, 
							Offset (0xE6), 
					C209,   8, 
					C20A,   1, 
							Offset (0xE8), 
					C20B,   4, 
					C20C,   4
				}

Some of those registers are what we are looking for. It needs a bit of trial and error to see which is what...

bLACKch what is your cooling method which Kexts are you using because voodoopowermini is not loading after reboots. appreciate if you could advise the best cooling solution.

brian

We are currently using native speedstep (no extra kexts needed), which is very good. To get this working I suggest you read through the thread and also update your system with the packages from the first post (actually would be better you do a clean install with the last version of the boot cd (post #1), to avoid troubles. You also will need to add some data regarding the specific p-states for your CPU to the DSDT table.