HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

REQUEST some help please .

I cannot get the cooling done right on the HP 6720S under 10.6.4 or 6.3 . It has a Celeron 1.73GHz CPU .I have read through this thread but it is so unclear as each posts seems to go off to another problem or idea about 6720s. really would appreciate some help if possible .

I live in istanbul where the humidity is really high at times room temps hit 30c at times outside hits a 40c in the sun and shade .I even have a notebook cooler that doesn't really do a decent job when the humidity rises. I would just like to get the fan running more frequently it only comes when it hits 80 or when I come out of sleep it stays for about 5 seconds or when cools down to 70.

brian

Hi Brian, you have read about AppleACPIThermal.kext and native speedstep? Its the most used cooler solution in combination with sleepwatcher... see Smilenknoski sleep thread, that works great here for my C2D. But please note I dont know if worked on Celeron processors... because you need a patched kernel (like chocolate) right?

thanks yes I have read about AppleACPIThermal.kext and native speedstep but I want to get the fan actually running frequently ,speedstepping is not the way to go on a celeron I think .i really looking for solution to keep fan running noise is not an issue here .

Assuming you've follow the guidelines to install (using the files from the post #1), you could modify the DSDT here:

Name (C397, Package (0x06) //fan speed modified
	{
		0x64, 
		0x46, 
		0x37, 
		0x28, 
		0x00, 
		0x00
	})

Those are the porcentuals (in hex) of the fan speed to a given thermal zone. Note 0x64 = 100 percent. You can change the other values so the fan will run faster. Then you need to recompile the file and replace the one in /Extra

Two things: You NEED to have AppleACPIThermal.kext installed and

Native speedstep should work for celeron cpus too. (do you need patched kernel??) AFAIK Some celeron cpu can run vanilla (like the celeron 420)

@BlackCH, por favor aclárame si los celeron corren con darwin (vanilla) kernel? Y si existe alguna relación entre el appleintelCPUblablabla (para native speedstep) y el kernel? Muy agradecido. Un Saludo.

P.D. Si quieres contestar en inglés para todos, siéntete libre por favor. Por cierto, ya casi tengo listo mi próximo dsdt, un tanto más compatible, que pronto subiré. Ah! y Buena Suerte, que ya se viene el España vs Honduras.

@BlackCH, por favor aclárame si los celeron corren con darwin (vanilla) kernel? Y si existe alguna relación entre el appleintelCPUblablabla (para native speedstep) y el kernel? Muy agradecido. Un Saludo.

P.D. Si quieres contestar en inglés para todos, siéntete libre por favor. Por cierto, ya casi tengo listo un dsdt más compatible que pronto subiré.

Vale, lo hago en ingles....

As far as I know some celeron could run vanilla kernel (Im pretty sure of the celeron 4x0 series). Also theres a few users running celeron using the boot CD to boot 10.6 retail DVD (thats vanilla kernel). I dont know exactly which celerons can run unmodified kernel thoug.

As for the AppleIntelCPU... I think it could work with a patched kernel too. Someone must try that.

Some patched kernels have a 'Blacklist' feature that block this kext. That can be de-activated with a bootflag (blacklist=n I think)... Ovioulsy you need a fully patched DSDT (as we have :) )

Looking forward to your new DSDT!!

Un saludo!

PD: Igual yo soy argentino... El partido lo tenemos manana contra grecia...!

EDIT:

I guess (I might be wrong) that Celeron CPUs based on Core 2 Duo architecture (Yonan, Merom and Penryn) should work with vanilla kernel as they are the same architecuture as the C2D cups

@istambulblogger:

You are right celeron 500 lack of speedstep feature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron

as they say in turkish Tesekkurler (thank you) .i changed the values to see if i could get fan to run all the time

this worked

0x64,

0x55,

0x50,

0x48,

Zero,

Zero

now I just play around with the numbers to fine tune it , and I got a cool machine running . Its ok I do understand about undervolting to achieve better temperatures but not an option on this cpu . once again big thanks ( cok cok sagol tesekkurler ) :unsure:

Hi Blackch.

Yesterday I was free (Sunday) and tried yours method of installing Snow Leopard on HP 550 (BootCD and the rest). Works like charm. It's easy and I think that now, everyone can install SL on such a notebook. Huge thanks for that.

Only thing I can't make work is Wifi (previously worked OOB). It's not present in Network in System Preferences.

P.S.

I saw that you are active in the Monitoring With Fakesmc thread at www.projectosx.com/. Can you post in this thread about your experiences (installing, which modules). Or just make an installer in your style.

Thanks for your great work in this community.

Only thing I can't make work is Wifi (previously worked OOB). It's not present in Network in System Preferences.

Thats wierd... Maybe something wrong in the DSDT file?...Let me know if you find a fix

I saw that you are active in the Monitoring With Fakesmc thread at www.projectosx.com/. Can you post in this thread about your experiences (installing, which modules). Or just make an installer in your style.

Thanks for your great work in this community.

Well, I didnt have time lately to play with this. On the 6720s you can monitor CPU and GPU temps (no fan speed or else without modifications).

Hi friends, please can someone upload the x3100 files from 10.6.3v1.1? Specifically these three:

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin, AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle and AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle.

I think 10.6.4 drivers are not so good, it seems that x3100 on 10.6.4 suck, because I have artifacts and video problems with flashplayer.. almost sure related to openGL, because IOReg looks different on GFX0@2 -- Intel965 section for me. I have installed AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from 10.6.3v1.1 (smilenknoski thread) but the problem persist. Thanks in advance. 

Hi,

Firstly thanks to all those who have put the effort into this topic.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on some problems I'm having with a HP550 (Celeron 2GHz, 3GB RAM) and the upgrade to 10.6.3. I have a working 10.6.1 install the install files from the 1st article and all is working fine. The issue is always when I try to upgrade to 10.6.3.

When I run the 10.6.3 update, then re-run the install the machine reboots, scrolls through what looks like chameleon loading the /Extra files and then immediately after saying "Starting Darwin ..." the screen goes black and the machine locks up completely and has to be power cycled. I get the same with the software update method and with downloading the upgrade package. Error log from just before the lockup is below

I've created a bootCD (0.2) and done a re-installed (several) and followed the intstructions to the letter, also had to add Disabler.kext to stop K.Panic on boot before the upgrade. Still the same black screen when rebooting after the upgrade.

Its seems whatever I try then its always back to the black screen:

Loaded HFS+ file: [system/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist] 479 bytes from 435b640.

Hibernate image is too old by 1048 seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override

Loading Darwin 10.6

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loaded HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] 4096 bytes from 435b640.

Loaded HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] 7442126 bytes from 435b640.

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/Extra/Extensions.mkext]

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes from 435b640.

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/Extensions.mkext] 117142 bytes from 435b640.

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/system/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.Extensions.mkext]

Loaded HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes from 435b640.

Loaded HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.Extensions.mkext] 4882275 bytes from 435b640.

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/DSDT.aml] 29084 bytes from 435b640.

pci root uid not found

efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/smbios.plist] 1093 bytes from 435b640.

Patched DMI table.

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/DSDT.aml] 29084 bytes from 435b640.

Patched ACPI version 2 DSDT

Starting Darwin x68

<screen goes black at this point>

Fortunately I've got a clonedisk backup and can restore back to my old installation quite quickly but I'd really like to bring my machine upto the latest release before installing the xcode tools.

Any ideas as to how to get around this??

Many thanks

Kate

Relating to FakeSMC plugins, BlackCH could you post the full modification to the DSDT? Thanks.

I dont have anything usefull really. CPU and GPU temps can be monitored without any DSDT mod

When I run the 10.6.3 update, then re-run the install the machine reboots

followed the intstructions to the letter, also had to add Disabler.kext to stop K.Panic on boot before the upgrade. Still the same black screen when rebooting after the upgrade.

You dont have to re-run the install package at all. And you shouldnt need Disabler.kext (there shouldnt be a KP! the DSDT is fixed); maybe theres something you're missing from the readme...

I think I've finally solved the 10.6.2 & 10.6.3 upgrade issue on my HP550, it appears that from 10.6.2 onwards the Celeron 550 (also Atom) is no longer supported in the Kernel. It may be worth adding this on the 1st page of the guide for other HP550 Celeron users. However, all is not lost, if I use this legacy kernel:

http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...-10.2.0.pkg.zip

then 10.6.2 will boot up just fine, there is also a version for 10.6.3. Alas no longer a vanilla kernel but at least I've got 10.6.3 working. Havent tested sleep yet. At least I can now install xcode/iPad tools.

The dsdt.aml is the one from the 1st page of this thread. If I leave AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext enabled then it KPs complaining the CPU is not supported.

Regards

Kate

I think I've finally solved the 10.6.2 & 10.6.3 upgrade issue on my HP550, it appears that from 10.6.2 onwards the Celeron 550 (also Atom) is no longer supported in the Kernel. It may be worth adding this on the 1st page of the guide for other HP550 Celeron users.

then 10.6.2 will boot up just fine, there is also a version for 10.6.3. Alas no longer a vanilla kernel but at least I've got 10.6.3 working. Havent tested sleep yet. At least I can now install xcode/iPad tools.

The dsdt.aml is the one from the 1st page of this thread. If I leave AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext enabled then it KPs complaining the CPU is not supported.

Is strange because theres a few users running 10.6.3/4 on a Celeron 530/550:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1495022

Is unclear to me if they are using a patched kernel or not, as they dont mention anything about it.

As far as I know the Celeron 550 and similars are a stripped down version of the C2D Merom:

"The Celeron M 523 (933 MHz ULV), M 520 (1.6 GHz), M 530 (1.73 GHz), 530 (1.73 GHz), 540 (1.86 GHz), 550 (2.0 GHz), 560 (2.13 GHz), 570 (2.26 GHz) [32] are single-core 65 nm CPUs based on the Merom Core 2 architecture. They feature a 533 MT/s FSB, 1 MB of L2 cache (half that of the low end Core 2 Duo's 2 MB cache), XD-bit support, and Intel 64 technology, but lack SpeedStep and Virtualization Technology. Two different processor models are used with identical part numbers with the same part numbers, single-core Merom-L with 1 MB cache and dual-core Merom with 4 MB L2 cache that have the extra cache and core disabled. Celeron M 523, M 520 and M 530 are Socket M based, while Celeron 530 through 570 (without M) are for Socket P. January 4, 2008 marked the discontinuation of Merom CPUs"

So in theory they should be able to run stock kernel...

Thanks for the feedback anyway; Is good to know