HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

celeron here

only using bootup cd v2 from BlackCH and retail disk to install then run 10.6.4 combo then 2a12 patcher thats it apart from the modded dsdt for fan control

Thanks for confirm this.

Is there maybe an architecture difference between the Celeron 530 (1.73) and the 550 (2.0)?

I did a google on "celeron 10.6.2" and found quite a few comments with some saying its working and others that its not, it seems it may be a Celeron550 specific issue, I'm no expert, just want something that works to develop on so the modded kernel is OK. This was the link that pointed to the problem/modded kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t197407.html

Like istanbulblogger I also want the machine to run cooler, and have modified the stock dsdt.aml to have faster fan speeds and all was OK after the install/reboot/test, the machine ran at around 60C but the fan was louder, which is fine with me. However the next day when I boot up I'm back to the no fan until about 85C then it comes on 100%, drops the temp to around 75C, goes off and we run through this on/off cycle, very annoying, I'd rather just have a higher background fan level.

I just had a thought and did a reboot whilst the machine is warmed up and suprise suprise the fan levels are working correctly, around 60C working with mid-level fan on idle.

Any ideas as to why the fan logic doesnt seem to work properly when starting from cold???

Thanks

Kate

Any ideas as to why the fan logic doesnt seem to work properly when starting from cold???

AppleACPIThermal.kext (should be located at /Extra/Extensions) is the one which regulates the fan.

Do a kextstat and see if it is loaded:

0 0x2e84f000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIThermal (9.0.5) <15 13 5 4 3 1>

if you cannot find it on the kextstat then you probably need to refresh the kextcaches. Run Kext Utility once

Hello All

First off, THANK YOU BlackCH, and juanerson. Your hardwork and trials and errors made it super easy for people like me to install OS X on HP 6720s family.

My computer is a 6720s, T5470 C2Duo, 1.6 GHz. Intel X3100, 2a02. Intel 3945abg wireless (writing these so people will know how many different flavours there are for a 6720s :-)

Intel 3945 sucked, so I switched it with a Broadcom 4311 I bought from a parts store, which just worked (passed BIOS blacklist, and AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext just worked)

Followed the instructions completely, now I have a fully working 10.6.4 installation!

Some observations:

1. sysctl -a gives me the following:

hw.busfrequency: 708000000

hw.busfrequency_min: 708000000

hw.busfrequency_max: 708000000

hw.cpufrequency: 1596000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 1596000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 1596000000

Does that mean computer is locked at 1.6 GHz?

2. I used customized values for DSDT fan speed, BlackCH's and istanbulblogger's values. I don't have complaints now that I have a good trade-off between fan noise (which we all hate) and hotness.

However, I did not do any 'P-state injections'. My idle Temp is around 55-60, which also changes as Istanbul can be humid and hot!

Combining these two:

How can I know if the CPU is running at 800 MHz when idle, and boosting both cores to 1.6 GHz when under stress? In other words, how do I know if native SpeedStep is working correctly? How about P-states injection, how to do it, with which values?

Thanks and best to all.

jte.

@blackch

regarding not working WIFI after installing with your files I find error on DSDT part. Replacing with older juanerson version solved problem. Sorry for my late answer.

Happy holidays to all of you, guys and keep up on good work and fun with our loved hackintosh's.

How can I know if the CPU is running at 800 MHz when idle, and boosting both cores to 1.6 GHz when under stress? In other words, how do I know if native SpeedStep is working correctly? How about P-states injection, how to do it, with which values?

You can use Coolbook (on demo mode) to monitor CPU frequency.

Also the IO tree should look something like this:

post-51637-1278865761_thumb.png

Speedstep thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

Basically you find these section on the provided DSDT.dsl (commented out by '/*'):

/*
	Name (_PSS, Package (0x01) <--This value has to change according to how many steps you add
	{

Package (0x06)
			{
				0x04B0, (CPU frequency 4B0 hex=1200)
				0x55F0,  (voltage)
				0x0A,	 (latency; this always is 0A)
				0x0A,	 (same as above)
				0x060D,  (06=FSB multiplier 200x6=1200; 0D=Vid ID)
				0x060D   (same as above)
			} 

})
*/

If I add one more step it will look like this:

Name (_PSS, Package (0x02) 
	{

Package (0x06)
			{
				0x04B0, 
				0x55F0, 
				0x0A, 
				0x0A, 
				0x060D, 
				0x060D
			}, 

Package (0x06)
			{
				0x0384, (900 mhz)
				0x4268, 
				0x0A, 
				0x0A, 
				0x890D, (here the 8 means half bus speed 200x9/2=900) 
				0x890D
			}

})

In fact I belive the two first values from each packages are not relevant (you could leave them at 0000). The speed and voltage (VID) is set by the last two values. You need to figure out what speeds your CPU supports (or find someone who has the same CPU and use his/her DSDT). I would say your T5470 supports 1600 (200x8), 1400 (200x7) and 1200 (200x6). Probably also supports half ratios 800 (200x8/2), 700 (200x7/2) and 600 (200x6/2)

AppleACPIThermal.kext (should be located at /Extra/Extensions) is the one which regulates the fan.

Do a kextstat and see if it is loaded:

0 0x2e84f000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIThermal (9.0.5) <15 13 5 4 3 1>

if you cannot find it on the kextstat then you probably need to refresh the kextcaches. Run Kext Utility once

It's definitely loaded I can see it the kextstat list. Like I said, if I reboot after the machine has warmed up then the fan logic seems to work as expected but not from cold. Thanks for your help with this.

Kate

For my T5470 I have defined three undervolted p-states (forget IDA please), just added on beginning of CPUs DSDT sections:

Processor (_PR.CPU0, 0x01, 0x00001010, 0x06)

{ /*start of processor CPU0*/

Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized) /*start of p-states CPU0*/

{

Return (Package (0x03)

{

Package (0x06)

{

0x0640,

0x88B8,

0x0A,

0x0A,

0x0814,

0x0814

},

Package (0x06)

{

0x04B0,

0x3E80,

0x0A,

0x0A,

0x060F,

0x060F

},

Package (0x06)

{

0x0320,

0x36B0,

0x0A,

0x0A,

0x880F,

0x880F

}

})

} /*end of p-states CPU0*/

... living the rest of code inside, and to the end of processor CPU0.

Processor (_PR.CPU1, 0x02, 0x00001010, 0x06)

{ /*start of processor CPU1*/

Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized) /*start of p-states CPU1*/

{

Return (_PR.CPU0._PSS)

} /*end of p-states CPU1*/

... living the rest of code inside, and to the end of processor CPU1.

Thats enough for me.. nothing of PSD and/or CST methods.. which load natively from SSDT tables. My temps are 46-50C idle and 70C full load. Good Luck. Note: Coolbook for monitoring needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled, every time you change the p-state section.

Thank You, BlackCH

Thank You, juanerson

Off topic: congratulations might be in order for your World Cup :-)

Back to topic: Before I tried juanerson's last post, I have been playing with what BlackCH wrote on his last post. So far, native SpeedStep is working, I see 800, 1200, 1400 and 1600 MHz, temp is around 53-54. Yess!!!

@BlackCH: As you also mentioned, the original dsl/AML from the 'BlackCH 10.6 package' fixes the CPU at 1200 MHz, 1.00 V as it does not have the P-states. When the operating system does not know how to handle the CPU with SpeedStep, it just fixes to 1.2 GHz @ 1.00 Volts (saw this under Windows and Linux on my 6720s)

@juanerson: Our T5470 can do IDA I think, it can also do Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching, which is halving the FSB to 100 MHz, shutting down one core.

Question: Is there a way to fix it to 800 MHz @ .90 V for battery ONLY?

Thank you both.

...@juanerson: Our T5470 can do IDA I think, it can also do Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching, which is halving the FSB to 100 MHz, shutting down one core.

Question: Is there a way to fix it to 800 MHz @ .90 V for battery ONLY?...

You are welcome, so talking about IDA, I think its not friendly with OS X from I know on non native processors like T5470... And from my experience I suspecting that IDA can be affect the integrated graphic performance of GMA X3100... maybe Im wrong but to consider, even on windows its not recommended enable IDA for undervolting purposes... which is my case.

800MHZ @ .90V for battery only, I know than can be configured with coolbook full registered... but I think its not possible by dsdt injection for native speedstep... no way... but maybe Im wrong in this point too.

@BlackCH: As you also mentioned, the original dsl/AML from the 'BlackCH 10.6 package' fixes the CPU at 1200 MHz, 1.00 V as it does not have the P-states. When the operating system does not know how to handle the CPU with SpeedStep, it just fixes to 1.2 GHz @ 1.00 Volts (saw this under Windows and Linux on my 6720s)

The original DSDT (from my package) does not have P-states (the 1200 mhz one is commented out), it should NOT fix the CPU speed; In theory it should load the P-States from the stock SSDT tables (which are more or less ok). If, for any reason, OSX cannot read P-States it runs the CPU at full speed (at least in my case)...

You are right about the half bus ratio speeds; you could also get 600 and 700 mhz on your CPU. That would cool down IDLE mode quite a bit.

It's definitely loaded I can see it the kextstat list. Like I said, if I reboot after the machine has warmed up then the fan logic seems to work as expected but not from cold. Thanks for your help with this.

Kate

Then I dont know. The behavior you described is exactly the same as when the Thermal kext isnt loaded...

...Then I dont know. The behavior you described is exactly the same as when the Thermal kext isnt loaded...

100% Agree. Dont forget rebuilt the cache Extensions.mkext on /Extra by dropping the Extensions folder to Kextutility.

100% Agree. Dont forget rebuilt the cache Extensions.mkext on /Extra by dropping the Extensions folder to Kextutility.

Hi,

I've done the Extension.mkext rebuild with kextutility, however the problem still persists.

Sounds like I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks

Kate

Hello. I have HP compaq 6820s, after boot with boot 6720 cd (from first

post) when i try install MAC OS 10.6.0 retail ... i see error

EBIOS read error: Error 0x02

then i see cpu panic

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558993(: "Unable to finde driver for this platform

: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

I have bios F0D

Anybody know why i have this problem?

thx.

Update 9-06-2010

10.6.4 is good to go!

post-51637-1276116074_thumb.png

Only need to replace the Legacy speedstep kext on /Extra/Extensions with the one you'll find here and the ones with a GMAx3100 2a12 must re-apply the patch

Hi,

Not sure if it was me but I cannot find the Speedstep Kext you are talking about for 10.6.4 on your link.

Thanks

Kate

Just a note for any HP550 owner with a Celeron 550 2GHz CPU who is doing the 10.6.2/10.6.3/10.6.4 upgrades, the Celeron 550 does not support Speedstep and the

/Extra/Extensions/Legacy_speedStep_MacBook31.kext

can be removed (or left). I've removed it from my 10.6.3 installation and then upgraded to 10.6.4 and all seems to be working OK. Also you have to use one of the legacy custom kernels from here otherwise your machine wont boot, run the kernel upgrade AFTER the OSX upgrade but BEFORE rebooting:

http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels/

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron#Merom-L for details on the Celeron550, piece of junk ....

Does anyone know if the HP550 Celeron has the CPU socketed or soldered, I dont really want to open my machine up to check but might be willing to risk an upgrade if it is socketed. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fan issues.

Regards

Kate

Hi,

Not sure if it was me but I cannot find the Speedstep Kext you are talking about for 10.6.4 on your link.

Thanks

Kate

Sorry, the link was wrong. I ment http://blackchblog.weebly.com/

I will update the first post with the celeron information; can be useful for other users too

You can see on the service manual if the CPU is soldered:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/s...6/c01555746.pdf

I would say is on a socket (like the 6720s)

Well guys, I want to try a new way to share my last dsdt... thats why attached the .dsl file for edit purposes, for all of us together collaborate and make it possible the developments. THEREFORE, ITS NEEDED PEOPLE WITH STRONG KNOWLEDGE ON DSDT EDITION... I mean, I need help of TESTERS about critical areas as:

1) x3100 Graphic: For backlight (brightness control), mirror display, and sleep issues after wake, etc.

2) USB ports: General behavior before and after Sleep, including devices as Express card, because I have not tested.

3) Native speedstep with custom undervolted p-states, and c-states support.

4) Automatic network reconnections of Airport devices after wake.

5) HDEF pin configuration for proper injection of the AD1981HD in system profile.

6) Any other you want to point here.

Note: The dsdt.dsl its ready for inject anything you want. Have notes and complementary information about changes. I hope special attention and help from BlackCH and yushir, and everyone who want to help us... I will appreciate it guys... Thanks and Good Luck.

EDIT August 11: Now attached Half Size file when compile the .dsl, because the unnecessary device C2B2 was fully commented out. Some structural changes and useful information added. Please ask for any doubt.

EDIT August 21: Some changes in devices GFX0 and LID0, also adjustments to OS bios check emulation (OSYS)... its not just cosmetic thing. Good Luck, and please I hope comments.

EDIT Aug 28: Revert back last changes in GFX0.

CONTINUATION DSDT.aml posted HERE.

after some weeks of using the 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 i began to get random black screen of death mostly whilst using CS5 .CS5 is problematic with Snow Leopard with neither apple or adobe wanting to admit it is there problem.

so tired of the random crashes which after much reading lies in the Open GL .

i reverted back to 10.6.2 and used your patched driver 2a12 pkg ,also I run everything and I boot in 64 bit mode i have no problems at all running in 64 bit mode with your drivers on 10.6.2 .100% stable in 64 bit mode full resolution i use a external desktop monitor at 1980x1080 .

On 10.6.3 / 10.6.4 64bit mode i get kp at boot up and 32 bit mode I get random black screen of death after 2 or 3 hours .

Yes, from 10.6.3 the graphic problems around forums with bad general support, from the drivers to all related to FrameBuffers, bundles, plugins and OpenGL sucks... but in 10.6.4 its a {censored}! And everything by the stupid dispute between Apple and adobe. Also, in other hands, as you mentioned, I did read something about x3100 64 bit drivers and successful functionality of mirror display, of course talking about 10.6.2... so, interesting... thanks for the information istanbulblogger... then Please, can you upload into .zip all x3100 stuff located in S/L/E from your 10.6.2 system? Thank you.