HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

But first i have one important question:

to make the whole install, is it stricktly required to have already a working system with Snow Leopard? Because I have only pc's... with windows... thats all :rolleyes:

Alternative guide (doesnt require a previous OSX install)

you need:

-Snow Leopard retail disc

-6720s Boot CD (follow the link on my signature)

-USB external HD (optional, but highly recomended)

1-boot the 6720s boot CD

2-Swap the CD with the retail osx DVD (follow the instructions on the screen)

3-Once is booted prepare your HD with Diskutility (from the menubar). Partitioning as GUID. Is better if you try this on a USB HD first as it will erase all content on your HD.

4-Close DiskUtility and go through the installation process. The machine will reboot when is done. (if the machine goes off before completion, it means is running too hot; try another install method if this happens)

5-insert the 6720s Boot CD again, and this time use it to boot to the newly installed OSX HD (choose your HD icon from the menu)

6-If all went good, after going through the registration, you should get to the desktop

7-Install the drivers package you will found inside the 6720s boot CD

8-Check out this thread for specific tweaks for your model (probably GL960+celeron)

For more detailed guide about each step, google it; all the answers are there

good luck!

Hi guys, somebody have tried THIS (at your own risk) for wlan rebranding (whitelist passed) purposes? There has two separately links for INTEL (x3100) and ATI (X1350) integrated graphics. Note that have SLIC 2.1 bios mod injection too, for win7 validation (in theory). I think HP 550 (apart) is ready just for SLIC, not rebranding.

EDIT: HP 550 bios mod (SLIC+whitelist) is waiting for test on MDL thread (any voluntary here?), but "in theory" is ready.

Flashed the BIOS using FreeDos method, no problems so far.

Note: To know which name to use for the new BIOS (to use with update) first boot it and do a backup. Then insert the usb stick into some pc and you'll notice a new file called 68XXX.bak. Then your rom file will need to be called 68XXX.bin (you MUST extract it from the .CAB file!).

As it seems Mercurysquad has given up i'll buy out a new .n card - OSX compatible and done.

I've been looking for a new Wireless card and i've found that Broadcom BCM4321 N is a good choice working OOTB.

Would you recommend me another card? I want the best available (mini PCI-E) using .N and fully compatible with OS X (which discards all Intel Cards, ofc).

My choice was the Broadcom 4312 mini-Pcie (SPS# 441075-002) because passed the 6720s whitelist, and is native AirPort (but third-party). So, I know basically any 4311+ can be rebranded (from linux) to genuine AirPort Extreme card following the prasys's method. Now, by reference HERE and HERE you have the broadcom list supported in 10.6.4 (and 10.6.5 10H563), taken from inside /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext. Saludos.

My choice was the Broadcom 4312 mini-Pcie (SPS# 441075-002) because passed the 6720s whitelist, and is native AirPort (but third-party). So, I know basically any 4311+ can be rebranded (from linux) to genuine AirPort Extreme card following the prasys's method. Now, by reference HERE and HERE you have the broadcom list supported in 10.6.4 (and 10.6.5 10H563), taken from inside /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext. Saludos.

Did you bought the original HP part? nice

As I told you in my last PM, I have a BCM 4311 (dell, with hacked eprom to pass the whitelist check). It works OOTB, recognized as airport. Its a bit of a pain in the arse to hack the eprom as you must plug the card once the bios do the whithelist check... but it works.

I guess with the hacked BIOS you can put any Apple-shipped wifi-card and it will work perfect (an apple wifi card will be more expensive thou).

Can you post a link to prasys method you mentioned?

The link of the guide: Rebranding Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n Cards as Airport (courtesy by prasys). Quote: "I’ll be showing you on how to rebrand a Broadcom card which OSX detects as a Third Party Wireless card to Apple’s genuine Airport card."

And I think all information coming from HERE (courtesy by BuildSmart) or vice-versa. Both threads are very closers.

P.D. Yushir was the first (6720s) brave bios flasher, who will be the next? jejeje...

Important Explanatory Note: For INTEL graphic (6720s), the file is the 68MDU. So, for ATI graphic (6820s) is 68MDD. Therefore, the BIOS .bin version (or variant) to depend exclusively of the integrated graphic card. Nothing more.

Por cierto, sería interesante comparar la sección gráfica en el DSDT (puro) de la 6820s con el nuestro. Como es lógico y pude comprobar, la device (y los scope) en cuestión en la HP 550 es exactamente igual al de la 6720s. Saludos.

The link of the guide: Rebranding Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n Cards as Airport (courtesy by prasys). Quote: "I’ll be showing you on how to rebrand a Broadcom card which OSX detects as a Third Party Wireless card to Apple’s genuine Airport card."

ah, es mas o menos lo que hice yo para que mi tarjeta pase el whitelist check (usando otras utilidades). Cambie el subv (dell>>HP). Seria bueno saber si usar el ID de Apple realmente da mejores velocidades de conexion. La verdad es que mi tarjeta va bastante bien, descarga 10mb/sec aunque a veces navegar va un poco lento...

En nuestras HP primero habria que flashear el BIOS hackeado y luego cambiar el modelo de la tarjeta wifi, sino no booteara

Estoy tentado de flashear el BIOS; quizas lo pruebe los proximos dias. Hay alguna guia para hacerlo? Un saludo!

Using the link Juanerson provided you can flash it. Well in fact you won't have any problem doing it, basically because it does redundant CRC check over the flashed bios, and if you are running windows you can try download various versions (with freeDOS method you can only update or restore, so you'll always have two bioses available).

Anyways, EEPROM flashing is fiable till more a hundred writes to it, so don't worry because it's most likely you'll get it done (unless, and i say unless, you have half the blocks of the EEPROM - aka fuses- burned out). If you want to be 100% secure that you'll succed just go get some progrem over the inet to check EEPROM blocks, so that you'll be able to flash it without problems.

At last, i'd heavily recommend using Windows to flash for those that do not understand the process or do not have experiencie in doing so (flashing PIC's is a good way to do this).

NOTE: If bios flashing goes bad you can always restore it using a usb diskette drive, aka the method: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7...2105#post112105

Relating to Broadcom 4312, i want a .n card (now that i can do so because of whitelisting) that's why i asked for the 4321, which in fact is a .n card and should be natively on Mac (I'll do subvendor renaming if needed).

Using the link Juanerson provided you can flash it. Well in fact you won't have any problem doing it, basically because it does redundant CRC check over the flashed bios, and if you are running windows you can try download various versions (with freeDOS method you can only update or restore, so you'll always have two bioses available).

Thanks, I'll look it up in the next days. Once I have the BIOS flashed I'll do the wifi rebranding to see if I gain some speed (althoug I dont really need it)

Im waiting a T8300 CPU for upgrade. Should be arriving next week... It's going to run faster and cooler than the T7250 I have now. I'll take some pictures of the disassemble for posting

@BlackCH, yo también he tenido ganas de actualizar tanto el procesador (T8300 o T9300), y el disco duro (160 o 320), pero te quiero preguntar si acaso también debo buscarlos por SPS# 4XXXXX-XXX (según el manual de usuario -- reemplazos), tal cual tuve que hacerlo con la WLAN broadcom (por la whitelist), es decir, también hay una HP whitelist (o algo por el estilo) aplicable al resto de los componentes, en particular esos dos (2)? Te agradezco la respuesta.

@BlackCH, yo también he tenido ganas de actualizar tanto el procesador (T8300 o T9300), y el disco duro (160 o 320), pero te quiero preguntar si acaso también debo buscarlos por SPS# 4XXXXX-XXX (según el manual de usuario -- reemplazos), tal cual tuve que hacerlo con la WLAN broadcom (por la whitelist), es decir, también hay una HP whitelist (o algo por el estilo) aplicable al resto de los componentes, en particular esos dos (2)? Te agradezco la respuesta.

No creo que haga falta que el CPU sea el reemplazo HP (SPS# 4XXXXX-XXX) que el manual indica. Lo que si hay que tener en cuenta es que sea uno de los modelos compatibles con el chipset y el tipo de socalo (mi maquina tiene un socket P, supongo que la tuya tambien). Cuando haga la actualizacion te digo como fue pero dudo que haya un 'whitelist' para el CPU.

El disco duro lo puedes cambiar sin problemas. Yo le he puesto un disco SATA de 500gb pero se podria meter un SSD si hay presupuesto.

La RAM tambien se puede actualizar sin problemas.

EDIT:

he leido en algunos sitios que inclusive las 6720 que vienen de fabrica con Celeron, se pueden actualizar con un core 2 duo; contradiciendo totalmente lo que dice el manual

Sip, "en teoría" cualquier procesador con FSB 533 mhz, AQUÍ hay algunos C2D que cumplen con ese requisito. Tengo entendido que las 6720s que vienen de fábrica con Celeron, traen el chipset GL960, he allí su limitación con respecto al BUS, y al parecer también con la cantidad de memoria admitida. Por lo tanto, es significativa la distancia que marca el GM965.

Sip, "en teoría" cualquier procesador con FSB 533 mhz, AQUÍ hay algunos C2D que cumplen con ese requisito. Tengo entendido que las 6720s que vienen de fábrica con Celeron, traen el chipset GL960, he allí su limitación con respecto al BUS, y al parecer también con la cantidad de memoria admitida. Por lo tanto, es significativa la distancia que marca el GM965.

Eso es lo que dice el manual HP y el datasheet de Intel; pero he leido en algunos forums gente que ha actualizado sus Celeron (GL960 chipset) por Core 2 Duo de 667mhz (inclusive de 800mhz) y que aparentemente el bus funciona a la velocidad del procesador en cuestion. Mira aqui. De todos modos yo tengo el GM965. Espero tener el reemplazo esta semana para hacer la actualizacion. Un saludo

EDIT:

I've just flashed my machine with the hacked BIOS provided in juanerson's link using the DOS method. So far all fine! I will try to do the wifi rebranding now to check whether the whitelist check is bypassed or not. Cheerz!

EDIT2:

Everything works as spected!

post-51637-1288606242_thumb.png

post-51637-1288606252_thumb.png

No speed gain though

GREAT! :D I will try too the next weekend... :(

Hay una linea en la guia de Prasys que hay que cambiar:

http://git.bu3sch.de/git/b43-tools.git && cd b43-tools/ssb_sprom && make

por

git://git.bu3sch.de/b43-tools.git && cd b43-tools/ssb_sprom && make

y esta me dio problemas:

ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy –-subv 0×106b –-subp 0×0087 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy

debe ser

ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy --subv 0x106b --subp 0x0087 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy

@yushir

I've bought a BCM 4322 a/b/g/n card. I found it in ebay for 7 eur shipped. I let you know how it works out

Hi, guys! I have a big problem.

I updated the BIOS. Now I do not normally work fakesnc

I can not find his normal version. And if I'm not going to remove and replace dsmos on fakesmc, you can not upgrade to 10.6.4

Can you help me with fakesmc?

post-501790-1289007069_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, I have installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 with the blackch package site in __http://blackchblog.weebly.com/

but after reboot I have framebuffer problem, this is my x3100

Chipset GMA X3100

Fornitore Intel (0x8086)

ID Dispositivo 0x2a02

ID revisione 0x000c

Help! What can I do?

Thanx :(

2a02 should work OOTB

I assume you didnt apply the patch for the 2a12

What's exactly the problem?

I didn't apply the patch 'cause a I have a 2a02.

I see that my desktop is all dark but if at the boot I use the -x the colors are bright without 3D.

I didn't apply the patch 'cause a I have a 2a02.

I see that my desktop is all dark but if at the boot I use the -x the colors are bright without 3D.

Very strange behavior... Thats sound drivers (corrupt extensions) or cache (malformed) problems (because -x). I mean, maybe "your system" failing to load properly the graphic drivers. Please try (re)installing the comboupdate 10.6.4 (recommended) or comboupdate 10.6.3, or which version you are using. Good Luck.

maybe the brightness level is all the way down? try pressing the two keys on the right of F12

did you try with an external screen?

can you post a picture?