HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Report on booting after patching GPU:

with original DSDT from hp6520s_installer: boot well, but the display is extremely horrible: half left of my LCD is darkest ever, i.e. with attemp, i can see some white pieces of windows there. My LCD has never been dark like this, at first I thought it burst up! the other half is somehow brighter, but still darker from the darkest display setting before.

Booting with compiled http://www.mediafire.com/?nidynw3trli returns the same horrible display.

Booting with juanerson's (May 01) DSDT returns good, brightest display.

Booting with compiled 6520s_v0.01.dsl cause panic!!!

While awaiting for other discussion, can you show me how to edit your 6720sCdBoot? I would like to add working DSDT and patch GPU to burn a new CD, so that I can restore from time machine in case of worse.

Another report: after idle for some seconds, the LCD goes horribly dark, but return brightest when mouse or keyboard touch. I doubt this is sth like "Dim when idle". This lead me to the question that whether native bright control is still available.

Meanwhile, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi.../t85121-50.html suggest to use shade as a fake bright control. It only blacken, not darken, our screen, so native solution is of course in searching.

Report on booting after patching GPU:

with original DSDT from hp6520s_installer: boot well, but the display is extremely horrible: half left of my LCD is darkest ever, i.e. with attemp, i can see some white pieces of windows there. My LCD has never been dark like this, at first I thought it burst up! the other half is somehow brighter, but still darker from the darkest display setting before.

Booting with compiled http://www.mediafire.com/?nidynw3trli returns the same horrible display.

Booting with juanerson's (May 01) DSDT returns good, brightest display.

Booting with compiled 6520s_v0.01.dsl cause panic!!!

While awaiting for other discussion, can you show me how to edit your 6720sCdBoot? I would like to add working DSDT and patch GPU to burn a new CD, so that I can restore from time machine in case of worse.

Another report: after idle for some seconds, the LCD goes horribly dark, but return brightest when mouse or keyboard touch. I doubt this is sth like "Dim when idle". This lead me to the question that whether native bright control is still available.

Meanwhile, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi.../t85121-50.html suggest to use shade as a fake bright control. It only blacken, not darken, our screen, so native solution is of course in searching.

So in the end was the GMAx3100 2a12. I thought so

The display is like that because the brightness control doesnt work properly. If you bring up the brightness level (normally with the two keys laying after F12) it will get better. Also can be adjusted in the System Preferences pane.

My dsdt (0.09b) has also the PSS data optimized for your CPU (T7250, same as mine). Because heat reasons I've left out the 2Ghz step, so it will go up to 1,8 Ghz only but it will run cooler/quiet

You cannot edit the CD (easily), but you can build your own:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185932

Anyway, I want to attempt to do a universal disc for all 6520/6720/6820, so would be nice if you can test a new boot cd version for me as I cannot test by myself.

So in the end was the GMAx3100 2a12. I thought so

The display is like that because the brightness control doesnt work properly. If you bring up the brightness level (normally with the two keys laying after F12) it will get better. Also can be adjusted in the System Preferences pane.

My dsdt (0.09b) has also the PSS data optimized for your CPU (T7250, same as mine). Because heat reasons I've left out the 2Ghz step, so it will go up to 1,8 Ghz only but it will run cooler/quiet

You cannot edit the CD (easily), but you can build your own:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185932

Anyway, I want to attempt to do a universal disc for all 6520/6720/6820, so would be nice if you can test a new boot cd version for me as I cannot test by myself.

From my experience:

1. GPU avoid booting for 2a12, but we cannot change by
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    mkdir /Extra/GMA
    cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* /Extra/GMA
    rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*

because, I think, I boot by CD and install by DVD, which are both read-only mount (why there is no RAM here :-?)

2. Booting with default CDboot DSDT may sometimes cause horrible dark display due to improper bright control. While awaiting for any possible fix, can you make the DSDT to maximize brightness whenever login? [/s]

About the universal CD boot, I am thinking about a CD with GPUkext-free boot, have post-installation with 2 different option, either 2a12 or 2a02. Any automatically checking would be preferred.

Also, I take a look at Display in System Preferences pane and see that for the brightest dot on the scale, the bright control work acceptable. Can we have some script to redefine the brightness scale? Of course, it's just a quick-n-dirty trick.

From my experience:

1. GPU avoid booting for 2a12, but we cannot change by
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    mkdir /Extra/GMA
    cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* /Extra/GMA
    rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*

because, I think, I boot by CD and install by DVD, which are both read-only mount (why there is no RAM here :-?)

Yes off course; that only will work after you complete the install process. By the moment I suggest it it wasnt clear for me you were booting the DVD. I thought you were actually booting to your HD

[*]Booting with default CDboot DSDT may sometimes cause horrible dark display due to improper bright control. While awaiting for any possible fix, can you make the DSDT to maximize brightness whenever login? [/s]

yes, is possible by injecting the AAPL01,BacklightIntensity value in the GFX device:

The value is set to 0x50 but you can play around with the value to find one you like best. Max is 0x80 (values are hexadecimal). You can open the dsl file in any text editor (I recommend textwrangler) change the values and compile

Also, I take a look at Display in System Preferences pane and see that for the brightest dot on the scale, the bright control work acceptable. Can we have some script to redefine the brightness scale? Of course, it's just a quick-n-dirty trick.

We been trying that for some time, no results yet

About the universal CD boot, I am thinking about a CD with GPUkext-free boot, have post-installation with 2 different option, either 2a12 or 2a02. Any automatically checking would be preferred.

Yes, is possible to block the graphic kexts but Im thinking in a better option: a DSDT without any graphic injection.

If you have some time please test this one:

it has to be used with unpatched graphic kexts so I can now if it solves the problem you had before. Again you can put the DSDT in the root of the HD, name it whatever you like, and load it with DSDT=wathevername.aml

I'll apreciate it

Make sure you boot with -f flag

Yes off course; that only will work after you complete the install process. By the moment I suggest it it wasnt clear for me you were booting the DVD. I thought you were actually booting to your HD

yes, is possible by injecting the AAPL01,BacklightIntensity value in the GFX device:

The value is set to 0x50 but you can play around with the value to find one you like best. Max is 0x80 (values are hexadecimal). You can open the dsl file in any text editor (I recommend textwrangler) change the values and compile

We been trying that for some time, no results yet

Yes, is possible to block the graphic kexts but Im thinking in a better option: a DSDT without any graphic injection.

If you have some time please test this one:

it has to be used with unpatched graphic kexts so I can now if it solves the problem you had before. Again you can put the DSDT in the root of the HD, name it whatever you like, and load it with DSDT=wathevername.aml

I'll apreciate it

Make sure you boot with -f flag

Report booting with DSDT no graphic injection (sorry, I misread I didn't boot with -f flag, but)

With original GMAkext: boot ok, 1024x768

With patched GMAkext: boot ok, 1280x800, i.e. nothing different from DSDT from the first post!

Trying making CD boot with no-praphic-injection kext, report later.

About brightness control: I found a blog share an open source terminal brightness control, both source and compiled. Usage syntax:

[path]/brightness {value}

After testing with my hackintosh (2a12), I found below value are acceptable:

Correspond Hex value are:

0x7A 0.9531250

0x7B 0.9609375

0x7C 0.9687500

0x7D 0.9765625

0x7E 0.9843750

0x7F 0.9921875

0x80 1.0000000

(increase step 0x01 0.0078125)

What we should do now is to make a wrap for hotkeys binding to increase and increase these values.

I'm back here. I'll try right now Juanerson's GFX fixes, hope we get something.

Hi mate, a few posts ago you mention VoodooSDHC.kext. Does in needs any plist edit? where do you have it installed?

Report booting with DSDT no graphic injection (sorry, I misread I didn't boot with -f flag, but)

With patched GMAkext: boot ok, 1280x800, i.e. nothing different from DSDT from the first post!

Trying making CD boot with no-praphic-injection kext, report later.

Excellent! Thanks for testing.

I will update the boot cd soon with this dsdt and with a patcher for those who have the x3100 2a12 variant

About brightness control: I found a blog share an open source terminal brightness control, both source and compiled. Usage syntax:

[path]/brightness {value}

What we should do now is to make a wrap for hotkeys binding to increase and increase these values.

Looks good! I'll try it now. Maybe is possible to make a little app out of it...

Works fine! Just what we needed...

After testing i got the same results as without the values, but DSDT looks better anyway. (haven't tested mirror)

@VoodooSDHC: I used it some months ago, it was supposed to give better speeds at writing/reading on HC cards (over 4 gig). Unfortunately i only have 2 and 4 GIG cards so i haven't been able to find out whether is true or not. Anyway native OS X reading of SD cards till 4 GIG is good, so there's no need for it unless you have a card over that capacity. No, you only need to put it on /S/E and it'll go fine (i had some problems on E/E).

A pair of things before any app is done:

First - I've looked at DSDT LID close code to make system sleep

LID Sleep.

Code to fix sleep when closing the lid of the laptop:

Device (LID)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D")) //LID device

Name (LIDS, One)

Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Store (^^PCI0.SBRG.EC0.SF13, LIDS) //LID register

XOr (LIDS, One, Local0)

IF (Local0) //if LID is closed

{

Notify (SLPB, 0x80) //Set system to sleep

}

————Using ELSE(CURRENT_SLEEP) { Wake_up }, should wake up the system on lid open

Return (LIDS)

}

————————-

BlackCH if you look at Slice's DSDT Code it has two devices: LCD and TV, apart from two extra methods on GFX. LCD code is used to inject Possible Brightness Values. If we get LCD device to work ok, we wouldn't ever need to use brightness console, because OS X reads those values and changes them on brightness key pulse.

Extra Methods:

Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Arg0, MIS4)

SMI (0x9E, MIS4)

}

Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (Package (0x04)

{

0x00010100,

0x00010200,

0x00010400,

0x00010300

})

}

Extra Devices:

Device (LCD)

{

Method (_ADR, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x0400)

}

Method (_DCS, 0, NotSerialized) //return status of output

{

Store (SMI (0x8E, One), Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

Method (_DGS, 0, NotSerialized) // active or inactive

{

Store (SMI (0x99, One), Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

Method (_DSS, 1, NotSerialized) //device set state

{

DSS (One, Arg0)

}

Name (BTVL, 0x64)

Name (DBCL, Package (0x0A) {})

Method (_BCL, 0, NotSerialized) //list of supported brightness

{

SX10 ()

SX30 (0x19)

SX30 (Zero)

SX11 ()

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, Zero))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, One))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x02))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x03))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x04))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x05))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x06))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x07))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x08))

Store (SX40 (), Index (DBCL, 0x09))

SX12 ()

Return (DBCL)

}

Method (_BCM, 1, NotSerialized) //set brightness

{

SX10 ()

SX30 (0x19)

SX30 (One)

SX30 (Arg0)

Store (Arg0, BTVL)

SX11 ()

SX12 ()

}

Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized) //brightness level

{

SX10 ()

SX30 (0x19)

SX30 (0x02)

SX11 ()

Store (SX40 (), Local0)

Store (Local0, BTVL)

SX12 ()

Return (Local0)

}

}

Device (TV)

{

Method (_ADR, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x0200)

}

Method (_DCS, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Store (SMI (0x8E, 0x04), Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

Method (_DGS, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Store (SMI (0x99, 0x04), Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

Method (_DSS, 1, NotSerialized)

{

DSS (0x04, Arg0)

}

}

NOTE: I'm not that expert on DSDT code as i wish i was, but if i understood correctly, when a system-level event occurs (like sleep) DSDT Methods are called. So that, the only thing that should be done is to keep LID-interrupts enabled while on sleep. That'd make system-code to be executed, so only you'd need to call the Wake-up system service.

NOTE2: Please note down on what TruongSinh said. Exactly values immediately under 0x80 (0x7F till 0x80). I haven't tested it yet, but on normal brightness control OS X downs it from 0x80 to 0x0.

NOTE3: Look at these two posts: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1016 and http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=779. They're about Embedded Controller and it's relation with Media Keys(Media keys have code: 0xe0 XX), which we do not have working 100%. I'll tell you which do we have and why:

-Fn+F2: It's a fake key, it's real code is 0x1d 0xYY (I don't remember the last one exactly, but it's P as the key sends the code Ctrl+P).

-Fn+F5,F9,F11,F12: Those are taken care of on PS2Keyboard.kext, you can look at it's code. Fn+F5 code calls System sleep while others are assigned to USB's Sound volume codes. The other keys also have code on PS2Keyboard.

-Fn+F4,F7,F8: Those keys ought to be the same as others, but the problem is that some kext takes control of them so that it's control code never reaches the kext.

As i said, to solve first problem is as easy as assign Ctrl+P to Command+P. Other keys can be handled perfectly via mac os x extra fn keys.

The last pack has two solutions: Disable the kext so that PS2 Controller can catch it's codes or find which code is needed so that the kext which takes over control will do what's needed. It's worth saying first solution is better than second one.

Please, could you test if this patcher works?

with original GMA kexts installed, just run it. Should autopatch them

reboot with -f to make sure the kextcache is flushed

NOTE2: Please note down on what TruongSinh said. Exactly values immediately under 0x80 (0x7F till 0x80). I haven't tested it yet, but on normal brightness control OS X downs it from 0x80 to 0x0.

NOTE3: Look at these two posts: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1016 and http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=779. They're about Embedded Controller and it's relation with Media Keys(Media keys have code: 0xe0 XX), which we do not have working 100%. I'll tell you which do we have and why:

-Fn+F2: It's a fake key, it's real code is 0x1d 0xYY (I don't remember the last one exactly, but it's P as the key sends the code Ctrl+P).

-Fn+F5,F9,F11,F12: Those are taken care of on PS2Keyboard.kext, you can look at it's code. Fn+F5 code calls System sleep while others are assigned to USB's Sound volume codes. The other keys also have code on PS2Keyboard.

-Fn+F4,F7,F8: Those keys ought to be the same as others, but the problem is that some kext takes control of them so that it's control code never reaches the kext.

As i said, to solve first problem is as easy as assign Ctrl+P to Command+P. Other keys can be handled perfectly via mac os x extra fn keys.

The last pack has two solutions: Disable the kext so that PS2 Controller can catch it's codes or find which code is needed so that the kext which takes over control will do what's needed. It's worth saying first solution is better than second one.

Look like you are searching for a through out solution. I am sorry I cannot help, because I have absolutely no idea about this. But I may make some ready-to-use quick-n-dirty trick to solve this problem for the time being.

Please, could you test if this patcher works?

with original GMA kexts installed, just run it. Should autopatch them

reboot with -f to make sure the kextcache is flushed

Report booting with no-graphic-injection kext:

With original kext: boot ok, 1024x768 (as reported)

Patch with that installer, no need to run kext utility, reboot WITHOUT flushing kext: boot ok, 1280x800, problematic brightness control (as usual)

New brightness code, source and binary

Usage:

[path]/brightness

to increase brightness by 1 step

[path]/brightness 0

[path]/brightness whatever

in general

[path]/brightness [and one more argument]

to decrease brightness by 1 step

Compile:

gcc -std=c99 -o brightness brightness.c -framework IOKit -framework ApplicationServices

Now I am looking for biding keyboard shortcut to a terminal code.

I found QuickSilver to be a good 3rd party utility, but still searching for native Apple solution.

Report booting with no-graphic-injection kext:

With original kext: boot ok, 1024x768 (as reported)

Patch with that installer, no need to run kext utility, reboot WITHOUT flushing kext: boot ok, 1280x800, problematic brightness control (as usual)

Thanks for testing. That patcher will be included in the new boot cd

By the way, if you install brightness binary in /sbin/ then the command is aviable from the terminal without having to especify the path to it

Thanks for testing. That patcher will be included in the new boot cd

Awesome! Looking forward to new BootCD in case I have to restore from Time Machine.

By the way, if you install brightness binary in /sbin/ then the command is aviable from the terminal without having to especify the path to it

Thanks, I sudo cp that file to /bin/ . But still, user have to type from terminal windows, and we haven't found any (good) solutions for key biding yet!

Thanks, I sudo cp that file to /bin/ . But still, user have to type from terminal windows, and we haven't found any (good) solutions for key biding yet!

I tryed to code some script yesterday (I suck on this). The following one will read the current brightness value (and stores it on /Extra/brightness), sustract the amount for the next brightness step (brightness going down), and then apply it. You can bind the script to a key using Keymaestro for example, and you will need a similar script that adds the value (brightness going up) and bind it to another key:

#!/bin/sh

brightness -l -v | grep 'brightness' | cut -d '.' -f 2 > /Extra/brightness

BRN=$(cat /Extra/brightness)
BRN1=$(echo "$BRN - 7812" | bc)
BRN2=$'0.'$BRN1
brightness $BRN2

exit 0

Two main problems with this (what needs to be fixed/added):

1- A conditional that compares the value with the max/min and once these values are reached exit the script without changing the brightness need to be added to the script

2-Everytime you execute the scripts the terminal will be launched

actually, I rewrite the whole code and compile in post 412, in which I also define max/min value, so we don't have to read, store and set new value for brightness. Please test it on your 0x2a02.

The systax for increasing is:

brightness

The syntax for decreasing is:

brightness 0

actually, I rewrite the whole code and compile in post 412, in which I also define max/min value, so we don't have to read, store and set new value for brightness. Please test it on your 0x2a02.

The systax for increasing is:

brightness

The syntax for decreasing is:

brightness 0

ah! I missread your post! Even better then!

Anyway theres no download link in post 412

The uploader really annoys me!

Working with F7 (brightness down) and F8 (brightness up) without terminal!

Keyboard Maestro:

post-51637-1275061613_thumb.png

Is not the cleanest solution but a lot better than before

Thanks!

probleme when I changed wireless card

104-Unsupported wireless

HP compaq 6720s,

my old card 3945abg

the new is a atheros AR5BXB63

I dont now the device id of atheros AR5BXB63

plz help

That's known problem with HP bios. It will be hard to find solution without modifying the bios itself. I, personally, haven't seen successful story on this issue.

thanks for your help

yushir

smilenkovski

I have modified the bios but error when flashing

and for linux solution I dont have the id of ar5bxb63

See this for a broadcom card (its how I got mine working):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;hl=dell+1390

Just spend some money on a cheap broadcom card

Dont modify the BIOS, theres a lot of chances you brick the computer, which is a lot more expensive than a wifi card!