Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

I have the same problems. Patched my own dsdt.aml under linux, cmos fix , AZAL to HDEF etc. Chameleon 2.0RC3 and PC_Efi 10.5 for the video. Still haven't got my ethernet working. I'm using a Zydas for now, but want my Broadcom working.

Anybody a solution?

Sleep doesn't work for me either. As soon as I've got a solution, I will post it.

Already upgraded to 10.6.2 :P

Hello,

i will try install 10.6.0 of Acer Aspire 5920G ...

can you upload your files?

i mean the /extra folder and what i need for a clean install?

Please, please, please ;-)

ok it's my dsdt.dsl and it's wired sometimes i got transparent menu bar, sometimes not until i open/click some application or something and the grey menu bar become transparent and i noticed, especially when i change wallpaper and restart

even tried [GUIDA]Come injectare la grafica via DSDT , Esempio per una nVidia 9600M GT

but it still not works...

need your help please :(

Device (VGA)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (DISW, 0x01)
                   Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Arg0, DISW)
                       Store (ShiftRight (And (DISW, 0x04), 0x02), Local0)
                       \_SB.PHSR (0x04, Local0)
                   }

Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Return (Package (0x03)
                       {
                           0x80010100, 
                           0x80010110, 
                           0x80010200
                       })
                   }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x18)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,fboffset", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "0x01000000"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x14)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x3F, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x80, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,GeForce"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x05)
                               {
                                   "nVidia GeForce 8600M GT OpenGL Engine"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }

dsdt.dsl.zip

• 2 weeks later...

@9a6paf

Your Acer5920GHDA.kext + DSDT patch work great on Aspire 5920 (not G). Thanks!

Guys, another thing I found, in order to get sleep to work I had to remove method _PRW (Power Resources for Wake) from devices HDEF and EHC1, otherwise the laptop would sleep and wake immediately (Wake reason = HDEF EHC1 EHC2). Do you use other method to get sleep working?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

@9a6paf

I'm trying to use your audio driver, it works but I have a problem.

Under Snow Leopard with Chameleon 2 RC4's GraphicsEnabler function I have good, fast graphics without any additional kext file. 3D acceleration is probably turned on because the menu bar is transparent. However when I copy your com.apple.Boot.plist file to the /Extra folder I get sound but the 3D acceleration gets turned off. I realize that one com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra folder overrides the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration so I moved the GraphicsEnabler=Yes part into one which is in /Extra, but it's still not good. I understand that device-properties string is needed for the sound to work, if I remove that I get my 3D acceleration back but no sound. Is there any way I could make both working? Maybe by generating my own device-properties string? How could I do that? Thank you in advance!

Try to insert code from this hex file in boot plist :)

HDALC888.hex.zip

Hi!

@9a6paf

I'm trying to use your audio driver, it works but I have a problem.

Under Snow Leopard with Chameleon 2 RC4's GraphicsEnabler function I have good, fast graphics without any additional kext file. 3D acceleration is probably turned on because the menu bar is transparent. However when I copy your com.apple.Boot.plist file to the /Extra folder I get sound but the 3D acceleration gets turned off. I realize that one com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra folder overrides the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration so I moved the GraphicsEnabler=Yes part into one which is in /Extra, but it's still not good. I understand that device-properties string is needed for the sound to work, if I remove that I get my 3D acceleration back but no sound. Is there any way I could make both working? Maybe by generating my own device-properties string? How could I do that? Thank you in advance!

HDA_8600MGT256_FW400.plist.zip

Try to compile this plist with gfxstring and insert new hex code in plist.

I'm not currently on osx, otherwise I would compile it ;)

Thank you! Unfortunately things remained the same with this hex string, too. :(

I checked the two hex strings and only a part is different. Maybe that is video card? Mine GT has only 256M ram, maybe that is why it don't work.

HDA_8600MGT256_FW400.plist.zip

Try to compile this plist with gfxstring and insert new hex code in plist.

I'm not currently on osx, otherwise I would compile it :blink:

You mean gfxutil? I typed gfxutil -i xml -o hex <plsit file> <hex file> and it do created a hex string but it was like 3 times longer then your string. I tried that anyway and I got 3D acceleration but no sound.

Anyway I partly managed to solve things by disabling 64 bit mode and using VooD's NVInjectGo.kext.

You mean gfxutil? I typed gfxutil -i xml -o hex <plsit file> <hex file> and it do created a hex string but it was like 3 times longer then your string. I tried that anyway and I got 3D acceleration but no sound.

Anyway I partly managed to solve things by disabling 64 bit mode and using VooD's NVInjectGo.kext.

Man could you please pm me the dsdt you are using under snow leopard? I would really be grateful! Thank you

@9a6paf

Your Acer5920GHDA.kext + DSDT patch work great on Aspire 5920 (not G). Thanks!

Guys, another thing I found, in order to get sleep to work I had to remove method _PRW (Power Resources for Wake) from devices HDEF and EHC1, otherwise the laptop would sleep and wake immediately (Wake reason = HDEF EHC1 EHC2). Do you use other method to get sleep working?

Awesome! After editing the DSDT sleep now works like a charm! ;)

Thanks alot!

Could someone pls tell me which kext is working for LAN under snow leopard? I have retail 10.6.2 running but the only thing i can't get to work is LAN. I know that wlan is not working but i guess LAN should work.

It does work. I'm using it right now. Just install the AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext from first post in this thread AND the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext mentioned under Update 3.

For some reasons the startup script doesn't work anymore under Snow Leopard (worked under leopard fine ;) ).

If you don't get any internet after configurating your network then run

sudo tcpdump -i en0

Sleep no longer works after installing this kext and neither does shutdown.

Has someone tried the Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 Intel AMD made by Hazard? Does it work on the 5920G? What kind of "addons" should i install? I tried it, but till now it doesn't work...first i got kernel panic, now i get the "restart your computer"-screen... :D

P.S.:Sorry for my bad english.

It does work. I'm using it right now. Just install the AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext from first post in this thread AND the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext mentioned under Update 3.

For some reasons the startup script doesn't work anymore under Snow Leopard (worked under leopard fine :wacko: ).

If you don't get any internet after configurating your network then run

sudo tcpdump -i en0

Sleep no longer works after installing this kext and neither does shutdown.

:D I really really thank you! It took me more time searching around for the LAN kext, than patching my dsdt lol. I thought that this guide's kext was only for 10.5.x !

After installing the kext, i had to use the terminal and run sudo tcpdump -i en1. En0 is a usb wireless adapter for me. Also shutdown works for me. I use openhaltrestart.kext.

So far, if anyone wants some details, with retail snow leopard 10.6.2 i have these working:

- HPET fix using dsdt

- Cmos restart fix using dsdt

- Sound using latest version VoodooHDA.kext (www.kexts.com). This kext must be installed in /System/Library/Extensions AFTER removing AppleHDA.kext. VoodooHDA pref.panel works fine too, you can find it here

- Camera works fine using Camtwist 2.1! IT EVEN WORKS WITH ICHAT :blink:

- Shutdown, restart works fine

Sleep does not work. It sleeps and immediately wakes up. Wlan as expected does not work. Bluetooth and card reader does not work.

Method i used for Snow leopard

- Empire Efi v1.08 for booting retail Snow leopard DVD.

- Installed successfully and then booted into the system using again Empire Efi cd.

- Installed My hack installer to make disk bootable. Myhack gives you many kext options. I used only the necessary nullcpu, ahciportinjector, appleacpips2nub,appleps2controller, fakesmc,IOAHCIBlockStorageInjectorPlatformUUID. After Myhack installer i added VoodooBattery.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext to /Extra/Extensions. Also changed Fakesmc to v2.5 (www.netkas.org). Rebuilt extensions mkext and restart.

-I Patched my dsdt. Then i removed nullcpupowermanagment kext and restarted.

- Updated to 10.6.2 without any problems

- Installed VoodooHDA and pref panel also.

-Upgrade "boot" file with chameleon rc4. (I also made changes to my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist)

- And finally with zuc's help... LAN :blink:

So i think the only important problem that remains unsolved is sleep... I checked my dsdt but i don't have "method _PRW" anywhere :(

aspire5920gDSDT.zip

and com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

EDIT:

CARD READER WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Check out this and download latest version. I think it works for leopard too.

Awesome!

I didn't knew the kext for the card reader yet ;) THX!

I didn't install IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and ahciportinjector kexts, because I have no idea what they are for and they don't seem to be necessary, or are they? If yes what do they do?

Awesome!

I didn't knew the kext for the card reader yet ;) THX!

I didn't install IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and ahciportinjector kexts, because I have no idea what they are for and they don't seem to be necessary, or are they? If yes what do they do?

As far as i can understand they are used for better ahci support. I use them in every installation for my desktop pc too and they are included as default kexts in almost every Snow leopard guide. In my desktop pc (AHCI 10R), without IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, internal hard disk is shown as an external (orange colored icons). Also with this version of ahciportinjector bootcamp works (modified version, search google for bootcamp hackintosh). You can install windows in the same guid disk (!!!) but it's dangerous, some times it makes Snow leopard installation unusable.

I have some other news too! There is an Intel Pro wireless card pre-alpha driver READY!!! I read it works only with leopard. I tried it with Snow Leopard and i get the device recognized but not usable!!! Also i read that for now it only works with open networks in Leopard. No encrypted networks (WPA, WPA2 etc). If anyone who runs Leopard wants to try it ...here is the link....

After downloading you will find three kexts inside the folder and you have to install them in System/Library/Extensions using kext helper. There is a topic in this forum too. If you have no success try the think with the IO80211Family.kext. Read this topic

I have already ordered a dell broadcom wireless mini pci-e (i bought this laptop a few days ago from a friend)

Another thing i found is about the cpu temp in snow leopard. The kext is attached under my post. With this kext my cpu temp is 5 degrees lower.

Installed in System/Library/Extensions.

And for the end, i have a question. Does bluetooth work in Leopard? If yes could someone send me the bluetooth kexts ? It does not work in Snow Leopard but i read in the forum that is working for some people with 10.5.2 Kalyway DVD - Leopard.

If the developers make an intel wireless driver for snow leopard too, and if we manage to get bluetooth working...the the only think that is not working under Snow Leopard for this laptop...is Sleep ;)

AppleACPIThermal.kext.zip

I already knew about mecurysquad's wireless driver, but it doesn't do any good for me yet, because it's for the 3945 and I have the 4965 card. According to this Snow Leopard will be supported by the end of the month. It'll still be a while until it becomes fully operational including encryption.

Bluetooth seems to be working, but I can't test it for real because I have no other bluetooth devices atm. It's recognized out of the box when I turn it on, so I assumed it would be working (Same as in Leopard btw).

As for the thermal kext. THX again. Will try that -_-

I already knew about mecurysquad's wireless driver, but it doesn't do any good for me yet, because it's for the 3945 and I have the 4965 card. According to this Snow Leopard will be supported by the end of the month. It'll still be a while until it becomes fully operational including encryption.

Bluetooth seems to be working, but I can't test it for real because I have no other bluetooth devices atm. It's recognized out of the box when I turn it on, so I assumed it would be working (Same as in Leopard btw).

As for the thermal kext. THX again. Will try that :D

I think that the thermal kext makes a difference only if your cpu is working with AppleIntelCPUpowerManagement kext. If i use nullintelcpu kext... i have higher temps... ;)

It seems that my bluetooth chipset is different:( There are different 5920g versions. Mine has 3gb of ram and core 2 duo @1,83Ghz. Unfortunately i don't have windows to find out the exact bluetooth chipset . I use a solid state disk and there is no space for windows :P

About the wireless driver... even if they make it fully operational it's going to be late for me too. I am waiting for the dell wireless mini pcie . I have ordered one from ebay.

Another question... does your mic work? Using latest voodoohda version, my mic is not functioning correctly. I can hear it through the speaker and i have to mute it so... not usable! If i use an older version, mic does not work at all. If yours is working i would like to try your kext:)

My CPU is working with AppleIntelCPUpowerManagement.kext so it ought to make a difference. I can't test it right now, but I'll definatly try it.

The mic is working. I dunno if I hear myself in the speaker. Another thing I can't test atm.

I'm using the EFI String + Kext posted by 9a6paf here. Might be worth a try.

It's the best audio solution I ever had for this laptop. With this even the sensor works that detects whether headphones are plugged into the audio jack and switches the output accordingly.

About wireless, I'm probally going to by a dell wireless card, too. Quickest solution for wireless atm.

My CPU is working with AppleIntelCPUpowerManagement.kext so it ought to make a difference. I can't test it right now, but I'll definatly try it.

The mic is working. I dunno if I hear myself in the speaker. Another thing I can't test atm.

I'm using the EFI String + Kext posted by 9a6paf here. Might be worth a try.

It's the best audio solution I ever had for this laptop. With this even the sensor works that detects whether headphones are plugged into the audio jack and switches the output accordingly.

About wireless, I'm probally going to by a dell wireless card, too. Quickest solution for wireless atm.

Man you are a life savior :) I was pulling my hair out with sound problem. I tried 9a6paf's kext but nothing. After your post i realized that i need AppleHDA.kext too. I had it removed because i was using VoodooHDA. It works like a charm:P

Also i discovered that there is something wrong with my bluetooth. It doesn't work with ubuntu live cd either so... tomorrow i am going to open my laptop and check the cables. If it is not a cable/module problem... then i have a different chipset. I found compatible modules on ebay and if that's the case, i will order one.

About sleep, i tried the dsdt solution. I only had method prw under HDEF. I don't have it under EHC1,2 etc. It didn't work for me :( I tried to remove every usb device and still nothing, also i removed all unnecessary kexts but no luck. So i believe it could be my DSDT. Is it possible someone with working sleep to send me his dsdt?

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

For people running snow leopard 10.6.2, i just updated to 10.6.3 , everything seems ok. I do not use any disabler kext or nullcpu, sleepenabler e.t.c I just use my dsdt and the usual keyboard, battery etc kexts. I clicked the update button and after the installation i restarted. If you update you will loose sound. YOU HAVE TO BACKUP YOUR CURRENT APPLEHDA.kext and after the update you have to remove the new one and install the old using kext utility or kext helper. Restart and...sound is back :rolleyes: