Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

Im posting this again, because last time i was here the forum was broken, and i could only edit my last post. Someone was asking about the windows 7 is not working when dual boot. Well this is how i got it to work:

I installed windows 7 in first partition and then osx to second partition.

I used the method in the guide: installed osx to usb stick and used ccc to clone the installation to internal hd.

Then I installed chameleon 2 to osx partition. This method is not working with Windows 7.

Chameleon 2 never shows up in the boot. Only blinking cursor and black screen.

I needed to install the chameleon by hand. This way I could boot to osx but windows doesn't boot. (This is not necessary, maybe).

In order to get the Windows 7 booting: (this method worked for me)

1. Boot to Windows 7 DVD, use command prompt repair tool and use diskpart to set the first partition active. Restart. (this is the 100MB partition for windows boot)

2. Boot to Windows 7 DVD again. Windows is asking you to repair the installation, click yes and restart.

3. This time machine boots to Windows. When in desktop use command prompt to control the bootloader. Type bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US. (I don't know if this part is necessary, I did it, worked form me).

4. Use diskpart to make the OS X partition active. Restart

Now you have dual booting machine with Windows 7 and Leopard with chameleon 2.

Hello Vood,

it's kad2000 again.

I reinstall mac os x in my computer but after this step "Once installed the computer will ask you to reboot, then it will start loading Os X again, and might reboot again in the middle of the first try (don't worry is normal)" my computer doesn't restart!

Though I did all you said in the tuto...!! :(

Hello Vood,

it's kad2000 again.

I reinstall mac os x in my computer but after this step "Once installed the computer will ask you to reboot, then it will start loading Os X again, and might reboot again in the middle of the first try (don't worry is normal)" my computer doesn't restart!

Though I did all you said in the tuto...!! :(

Just reboot manually. Sometimes restarting after an update fails in osx86.

I rebooted with chameleon, with the "-f" switch, with cdboot...but nothing

As I said before, I can't help you without having your computer in front of myself. Probably you are missing something I didn't explain enough because I thought it was obvious and that's what is creating so much troubles for you. Anyway I can't know what it is without been able to see what exactly you did.

Did you flash your bios? Is your computer in AHCI mode?

A -v boot would be helpful to know where the boot process halts

Great, did you discover what the problem was?

the guys in irc.osx86.hu helped me:

DSDT was the problem.

But when I copied the working DSDT from Leo to SnowLeo, it worked.

And Snow needs to be bootet with EFI_9 :) ... only works with EFI_9 atm.

That's stops me to copy it on a internal-partition.

Cause everything is so smooth under Cham2.

Maybe I can create a Efi9-Boot-usb-stick and boot SL from there.

Can u help, Vood?

What would you do.

the guys in irc.osx86.hu helped me:

DSDT was the problem.

But when I copied the working DSDT from Leo to SnowLeo, it worked.

And Snow needs to be bootet with EFI_9 :D ... only works with EFI_9 atm.

That's stops me to copy it on a internal-partition.

Cause everything is so smooth under Cham2.

Maybe I can create a Efi9-Boot-usb-stick and boot SL from there.

Can u help, Vood?

What would you do.

I didn't mention DSDT cause I though you would be using it by this time in every new osx installation :P (I do). Also I didn't mention PCEFI v9 because it was obvious you would have to use it since it's the only one able to boot Snowleopard.

Anyway, I don't use Chameleon 2 RC1. It has a bug related to the firewire dma which causes a very high cpu utilization, so I went back to PCEFI v9 until a new Chameleon is released. Anyway Chameleon doesn't support x64 so unless its support is included in RC2 or the final version you will have to stay with PCEFI v9 for a while.

You can install PCEFI v9 in a usb pendrive as easy as you installed Chameleon on your hard disk. Just format it with HFS+ and follow the process. Then boot from usb.

You can install PCEFI v9 in a usb pendrive as easy as you installed Chameleon on your hard disk. Just format it with HFS+ and follow the process. Then boot from usb.

i will.

I keep u posted.

one more thing:

i am running low on HD-space, since i installed XP on one Partition.

How can I resize some Partitions. Ipartition costs money. Any way?

here, the screen I have when I reboot my computer after the installation of comboupdated :

Boot with -v option or you won't be able to see the real boot process

i will.

I keep u posted.

one more thing:

i am running low on HD-space, since i installed XP on one Partition.

How can I resize some Partitions. Ipartition costs money. Any way?

I'm not 100% sure but I think I resized my partitions once using disk utility from an external macos x system in an usb drive without losing the data. It think it worked for HFS+ partitions, but I don't know if it will for ntfs ones. Perhaps http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ could be useful, but I'm not really sure.

I did it yesterday but what shall I see exactly with -v boot?

Just boot with -v switch and take a picture when the boot process halts. That way we could see what it's really happening.

I managed the partition-stuff :(

besides that...

I talked to people inside irc.osx86.hu and putting efi-9 on a usb-stick seems to be trouble for everyone,

don't know if u did it, but everyone else including me are getting stupid error messages at boot com.apple.boot/S/L/P etc. missing.

hope you can help me to manage my boot-loader:

Partitions:

1.) Leopard 10.5.6

2.) Snow Leopard 10.6

3.) XP-SP3

wanna be able to boot all of them.

At the moment with Cham2 i can only boot Leo + XP... no Snow-Leo :-(

Hope u know a way to boot all 3 without much trouble and without a boot-CD.

Of course u know that Snow uses a different boot file then leo.

otherwise i have to wait for next cham-version.

thx VooD

I managed the partition-stuff :)

besides that...

I talked to people inside irc.osx86.hu and putting efi-9 on a usb-stick seems to be trouble for everyone,

don't know if u did it, but everyone else including me are getting stupid error messages at boot com.apple.boot/S/L/P etc. missing.

hope you can help me to manage my boot-loader:

Partitions:

1.) Leopard 10.5.6

2.) Snow Leopard 10.6

3.) XP-SP3

wanna be able to boot all of them.

At the moment with Cham2 i can only boot Leo + XP... no Snow-Leo :-(

Hope u know a way to boot all 3 without much trouble and without a boot-CD.

Of course u know that Snow uses a different boot file then leo.

otherwise i have to wait for next cham-version.

thx VooD

I thought it would be as easy as installing cdboot132 on an usb pendrive...but after trying by myself I see it's not. I'm sorry. The furthest I reach was getting the boot menu to load by adding a com.apple.boot.plist at the correct path in the usb pendrive, but then I couldn't choose my internal disks, and rd= command didn't work.

You better install pcefi v9, I'm sorry. You'll lose the fancy gui, and smbios injection, but you'll get proper firewire support and snow leopard :) I think it's worth the try.

hello vood,

it's what I see when I boot with -v command :

That looks to me like you didn't have the correct bios flashed or you are lacking a patched DSDT.aml, I can't think anything more.

I thought it would be as easy as installing cdboot132 on an usb pendrive...but after trying by myself I see it's not. I'm sorry. The furthest I reach was getting the boot menu to load by adding a com.apple.boot.plist at the correct path in the usb pendrive, but then I couldn't choose my internal disks, and rd= command didn't work.

You better install pcefi v9, I'm sorry. You'll lose the fancy gui, and smbios injection, but you'll get proper firewire support and snow leopard :D I think it's worth the try.

pcefi v9 gives me:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID....

Waiting on <dict ...

even my boot-think-usb-stick gives me a better boot situation then pc-efi9.

with boot-think i only get one issue: insertion error on audio.

seems to me, that i have to wait.

but thx anyway,

if u got a solution, don't hesitate to tell me

:unsure:

Hi,

Has anyone got sleep working with the Acer 5920G? I have this laptop and have nearly everything working perfectly, but when I choose Sleep from the Apple menu, the computer just immediately wakes up. I've read different forum posts that seem to think that Sleep problems have to do with the USB driver... but I'm not sure what to tweak to get it working.

I'm also relatively new to DSDT patching, does this have the potential to fix sleep? I'm hesitant to use a DSDT file (don't use one now) since almost everything is working with a combination of modified kexts and com.apple.Boot.plist changes (device strings).

thanks!

Never mind, I got it working! It only doesn't work when the Bluetooth switch is turned on (immediately wakes up because of a USB event from the Broadcom bluetooth device). However when it's off, sleep works perfectly!

Now I have to find that Clamshell kext to allow the laptop to sleep when the lid is closed...

Hello again!!

I have good news, at least for me: i got my 256mb 8600m GT turbocache to work with full QE/CI support using iDeneb 4 and nvdarwin 256mb. I know this thread is about making an installation as vanilla as possible but i thought if this worked for ideneb it might work for the vanilla... i will try it as soon as i get the currage to wipe my current installation :P

Hello again!!

I have good news, at least for me: i got my 256mb 8600m GT turbocache to work with full QE/CI support using iDeneb 4 and nvdarwin 256mb. I know this thread is about making an installation as vanilla as possible but i thought if this worked for ideneb it might work for the vanilla... i will try it as soon as i get the currage to wipe my current installation ;)

As far as I know no turbocache vga it's working in osx. Are you sure yours is? What procedure did you follow?