Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

I'm complety sure you are either missing, or missunderstanding one or more steps. Many people (including myself :() have completed this tutorial succesfully.

I need more info about what macosx version you are installing

About chameleon not installing, that sounds pretty much like you didn't extracted the files correctly. Keep in mind the package are 3 different files which have to be in the same place and extraced with a rar utility able to handle spanned files.

it's a mac os x leopard retail dvd (size 6.66Go). I downloaded it on mininova (torrent database)

Which version number? Retail? Reinstall? Did you correctly extract the files from my package?

it's the retail version 10.5

I think I have correctly extract the files but I can try again...

It's ok if I install leo on an external hard disc or not?

I've installed it on an external disk many times with no problems. Check the files extraction, there is no doubt you did something wrong if you are getting such error message.

ok I'll try again tonight

Thank's :)

I have to extract files directly with windows or with leo when he install?

You can extract the rar in windows, but you better extract the zip file in MacOS X

hey guys, hope everybody is doing fine.

me, i am doing pretty fine :-)

one thing,

I have some shutdown-issues.

At the moment i am NOT using OpenHaltRestart.kext because

I have read that OpenHaltRestart.kext can cause conflicts with the "voodoo"-kexts,

what do u think about that?

I tried one more time, fallowing your tutorial correctly and nothing is working!

I can install the kexts with kexthelper and chameleon but when I try to install the 10.5.5 update file the computer says me that the program is damaged.

vood, please help me! It begins to make me locco!! lol

I will finish to buy a mac :P

hey guys, hope everybody is doing fine.

me, i am doing pretty fine :-)

one thing,

I have some shutdown-issues.

At the moment i am NOT using OpenHaltRestart.kext because

I have read that OpenHaltRestart.kext can cause conflicts with the "voodoo"-kexts,

what do u think about that?

Which conflicts? I've never had problems with OpenHaltRestart.kext and I use voodoops2controller.kext at the same time.

when I try to install the 10.5.5 update file the computer says me that the program is damaged.
That means your downloaded file is corrupt. Redownload the file again.

I downloaded it 5 times and it doesn't work anymore.

The first time I tried the installation of mac os x, the update was installed correctly but the computer didn't want to reboot.

Now, the update and the reboot with chameleon and cdboot didn't work

I downloaded it 5 times and it doesn't work anymore.

The first time I tried the installation of mac os x, the update was installed correctly but the computer didn't want to reboot.

Now, the update and the reboot with chameleon and cdboot didn't work

I'm sorry but without having your computer under my hands I believe I can't help. Problably your problems are caused by a silly thing you are missing, but I can't discover what it is without been able to take a look at your computer.

Perhaps buying a real mac is not such a bad option for you if you are not too computer savvy, or you don't have the enough free time for doing all this stuff.

Which conflicts? I've never had problems with OpenHaltRestart.kext and I use voodoops2controller.kext at the same time.

cool,

installed the OpenHaltRestart.kext and everything is working fine. :rolleyes:

Vood,

I have a question:

At the moment I have "solo"-running 10.5.6 with Chameleon 2, Partition Map Scheme: Master Boot Record.

Mac OSX on 1st Partition (disk0s1).

disk0s4 ist free for installing a Micro$hit System.

Which would you recommend me to install:

XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7.

I have read that 7 screws around with the MBR while creating a boot-partition for itself, right?!

Does Vista screw around, too?

XP doesn't recognize my SATA natively, that's why I looking forward to your opinion about Vista & 7.

Remember, I just need that Micro$hit OS to work with one application which is not supported by Mac,

I would like be able to switch to Windows like once a day for 1 hours, OSX shall still be my "HOME" :-)

I wanna be able to boot to OSX with our lovely Chameleon2, since boot think 1.1.0 doesn't seem to be able using boot-flags.

I always need THIS at boot:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

thx a lot

Which would you recommend me to install:

XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7.

I have read that 7 screws around with the MBR while creating a boot-partition for itself, right?!

No doubt Windows XP SP3. Vista is a piece of {censored}, and Windows 7 is piece of {censored} 2.0. Don't believe people which says "uuhhh..Windows 7 is great and very fast". I've done my own benchmarks ( http://www.vimeo.com/2823010 ) and still not as fast as XP, uses much more memory, and the interface still so complex as in Vista (changing a network parameter still requires you to dig in lots of different menus)

Btw Windows 7 screwed my Os X installation too. The partition dissapeared.

XP doesn't recognize my SATA natively, that's why I looking forward to your opinion about Vista & 7.
My XP SP3 is running in AHCI mode. All you have to do is integrate the TXT mode drivers in your XP installation cd. nLite allows you to do that easily.

I wanna be able to boot to OSX with our lovely Chameleon2, since boot think 1.1.0 doesn't seem to be able using boot-flags.

I always need THIS at boot:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Keep in mind that Chameleon 2 breaks firewire DMA support, so if firewire is important to you, you should stay with PCEFI v9.

Some months ago I wrote a guide for getting this cheap laptop working, and here's version 2.0 of that guide which in addition shows how to make almost every feature on the computer work perfectly with Leopard 10.5.5.

This guide is for an Acer 5920G laptop with T7500 cpu and GeForce 8600m GS GPU

What you get:

- Cleanest possible system (only two modified kexts needed for the pci bus to work and so wifi and ethernet)

- Both CPU cores working

- Audio

- Wifi as Airport (with Dell 1490 or similar card).

- External VGA and Internal panel with QE, CI and resolution change (HDMI not tested)

- Ethernet

- Partial Webcam support

- Working keyboard and trackpad

- Proper shutdown

- Battery meter

What you need:

1.- Leopard 10.5.0 DVD Retail (probably will work the same with the new 10.5.4 retail, though you may need booting in safe mode until you are able to install the vga injector)

2.- Apple Combo Update 10.5.5

3.- Kext Helper

4.- The attached package (IM max file size is 2MB so, sorry for having to split it)

Acer_5920G.part1.rar

Acer_5920G.part2.rar

Acer_5920G.part3.rar

Single file: Acer_5920G.zip

5.- USB mouse and keyboard (just temporally).

6.- Dell 1490 Wifi Mini-PCIe or any other Airport compatible card. (The default intel card doesn't work)

7.- A pendrive or any other media for installing the attached files in Os X.

8.- Windows and optionally a MSDOS boot disk/pendrive

9.- Some patience.

Steps:

A- Flashing and setting up the BIOS:

When I first tryed installing Os X in this laptop I discovered the DSDT table in the BIOS made impossible to use more than one CPU, so I had to ask Kabyl to modify the BIOS. Lucky for us it seems someone at Acer got a new brain and decided to fix the DSDT table in the newest bios, and so making Os X to work with both cores without using a hacked bios. So:

- Load Windows and flash your bios using the files in "\BIOS" folder

- Now reboot and enter the BIOS by pressing F2. Make sure the BIOS is in AHCI mode and F12 boot selector is turned on, save changes and exit.

B- Installing a basic vanilla retail Leopard system:

At the moment the best way to install Os X in a PC is using a vanilla retail installation. It's the only way to be sure you are getting a clean system with no mixed kexts versions. So we'll use the original Leopard disc and CD-Boot 132 for that.

- Burn cdboot.iso in "\CD Boot-132" folder into a DVD or CD

- Put the disc in the DVD drive

- Boot the laptop and press F12 to select the the DVD drive as boot device

- Once loaded, swap the disc with Leopard Retail DVD one.

- Let the disc spin for a while so it can be recognized and press enter twice.

- Os X installer will load (notice this laptop doesn't always boot os x in the first try, so if it's not working try again). Now is time to setup partitions.

- Use Disk Utility in the upper menu to partition, and do not forget to choose GUID partition scheme. As the retail disc won't allow you to install into MBR partitions. (if you really want to install in a MBR partition is better to use an external USB hard drive with GUID partition scheme and once installed just cloning the installation into your internal hard disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and then Chamaleon Installer)

- Install Os X as usual.

- Once finished the computer will reboot, now it's time for pressing F12 and loading CD-Boot 132 again. Except for this time we won't be pressing enter twice but just one time. Then we type 80 (81 if we installed in an external usb hard disk) so now the laptop boots from its internal hard disk.

- Let the first boot process finish (don't forget to set a password for you user account as sometimes not doing so can cause problems).

- Once you are finally at the desktop launch Kext Helper and drag and drop the files in "\Basic System Kexts" folder and "\Drivers\VGA" into its window for installing them.

- Use Chamaleon_V_1.0.11 in "\Boot Installer" folder for making the hard disk bootable and installing Chamaleon EFI.

- Install Apple Combo Update 10.5.5

- Once installed the computer will ask you to reboot, then it will start loading Os X again, and might reboot again in the middle of the first try (don't worry is normal).

- In case you can't pass the grey loading screen try the -f switch in Darwin bootloader (press F8 when the computer is booting)

- Now you should be at Leopard 10.5.5 desktop with full QE&CI and resolution change.

- Repeat the Kext Helper procedure with the kexts in the others folders inside "\Drivers" (except for VGA which is already installed, and Ethernet which needs extra steps explained in its own readme file)

- Reboot and if everything went fine you should have sound from the internal speakers, battery meter, ethernet, working trackpad and keyboard, wifi, and no problems shutting down the computer.

C- Extra steps

There are some things that need little fixes:

- Webcam: the webcam works once you install CamTwist, but sadly It only seems to work in Photobooth, and not with iChat.

- Sound: with this laptop you can get either sound from the speakers or from the audio jacks, but not from both at the same time. So I made a little script that allows to swap between both modes. You just have to copy the "AudioSwitch" folder inside "\Audio Driver Switcher" into you Applications Folder. Once copied just double click "altavoces" icon for speaker sound or "jacks" for jack sound. It will ask for your user password, then just reboot for the changes to take effect.

- Sleep doesn't work. I know there's a fix for that, but since my aim was keeping the system as unmodified as possible and the fix involves a hacked USBFamily kext I decided not to include it. (Just disable sleeping in Power Saving options)

- Wifi: I think you need to start wifi in Windows at least once before you can get it working in Os X.

D- The VGA problem

It seems the GeForce drivers in Mac OS X can't control the variable speed in this VGA so the graphics chip is kept at about 150 mhz (2d mode) all the time making 3d effects (such as exposè or widgets) to look jerky. There's however a way to fix that if you don't mind the extra battery energy it requires.

The solution consists in flashing the VGA Bios with a modified one which forces 2D mode to run at the same speed 3D mode does. In order to do that you need a way to boot in pure MSDOS so you can use the files in "\VGA Speed" to flash the VGA BIOS.

Flash with: "nvflash fast.rom"

Update: It seems that if you force the screen to sleep (just set the sleep screen time to 1 minute and wait) the graphic card backs to its correct speed when you move the mouse with no need for flashing the rom.

Update 2: 9a6paf managed to solve the problem with audio. He posted a modded AppleHDA.kext.internal_headphone_out_Aspire5920g.zip which should allow us to finally get speakers and jack working at the same time. (just select the output you want in the audio control panel). I think it also makes skype work.

Update 3, UPGRADING TO 10.5.6: dobry_kamil found that updating to 10.5.6 makes the ethernet and wifi cards no longer work because an incompatibility with the hacked IOPCMCIAFamily.kext. Here's an alternate file he found which should make both network adapters back to workIOPCMCIAFamily.b2.zip

Update 4: another audio driver even more compatible from 9a6paf, including EFI string for audio and smbios.plist for chameleon 2.0 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1152166

Update 5: Chameleon 2 RC1 USBBusFix=Yes option in apple.com.boot.plist seems to solve boot problems.

Update 6: DSDT patch info from 9a6paf: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1148556

Regards

i have iatkos v5i leopard 10.5.5 and laptop acer 5920 core 2 due and intel grapggic media accelrator 945

does this version from iatkos compitable with my laptop and can i install this version and run it without any problem because when i finish install iatkos on my laptop it show message you

must connect keybourd first i dont know what is the problem

plzzzzzzzzzzz help me !!!!!!

No doubt Windows XP SP3. Vista is a piece of {censored}, and Windows 7 is piece of {censored} 2.0. Don't believe people which says "uuhhh..Windows 7 is great and very fast". I've done my own benchmarks ( http://www.vimeo.com/2823010 ) and still not as fast as XP, uses much more memory, and the interface still so complex as in Vista (changing a network parameter still requires you to dig in lots of different menus)

Btw Windows 7 screwed my Os X installation too. The partition dissapeared.

My XP SP3 is running in AHCI mode. All you have to do is integrate the TXT mode drivers in your XP installation cd. nLite allows you to do that easily.

Keep in mind that Chameleon 2 breaks firewire DMA support, so if firewire is important to you, you should stay with PCEFI v9.

thx a lot,

i will go for XP. I already have a SATA-added-XP-CD.

I don't work with firewire at all.

btw,

did u check boot think 1.1.0,

i installed it on a usb-disk, but they still need to improve it a bit,

but its very interesting.

Hi,

Has anyone got sleep working with the Acer 5920G? I have this laptop and have nearly everything working perfectly, but when I choose Sleep from the Apple menu, the computer just immediately wakes up. I've read different forum posts that seem to think that Sleep problems have to do with the USB driver... but I'm not sure what to tweak to get it working.

I'm also relatively new to DSDT patching, does this have the potential to fix sleep? I'm hesitant to use a DSDT file (don't use one now) since almost everything is working with a combination of modified kexts and com.apple.Boot.plist changes (device strings).

thanks!

Some months ago I wrote a guide for getting this cheap laptop working, and here's version 2.0 of that guide which in addition shows how to make almost every feature on the computer work perfectly with Leopard 10.5.5.

This guide is for an Acer 5920G laptop with T7500 cpu and GeForce 8600m GS GPU

What you get:

- Cleanest possible system (only two modified kexts needed for the pci bus to work and so wifi and ethernet)

- Both CPU cores working

- Audio

- Wifi as Airport (with Dell 1490 or similar card).

- External VGA and Internal panel with QE, CI and resolution change (HDMI not tested)

- Ethernet

- Partial Webcam support

- Working keyboard and trackpad

- Proper shutdown

- Battery meter

What you need:

1.- Leopard 10.5.0 DVD Retail (probably will work the same with the new 10.5.4 retail, though you may need booting in safe mode until you are able to install the vga injector)

2.- Apple Combo Update 10.5.5

3.- Kext Helper

4.- The attached package (IM max file size is 2MB so, sorry for having to split it)

Acer_5920G.part1.rar

Acer_5920G.part2.rar

Acer_5920G.part3.rar

Single file: Acer_5920G.zip

5.- USB mouse and keyboard (just temporally).

6.- Dell 1490 Wifi Mini-PCIe or any other Airport compatible card. (The default intel card doesn't work)

7.- A pendrive or any other media for installing the attached files in Os X.

8.- Windows and optionally a MSDOS boot disk/pendrive

9.- Some patience.

Steps:

A- Flashing and setting up the BIOS:

When I first tryed installing Os X in this laptop I discovered the DSDT table in the BIOS made impossible to use more than one CPU, so I had to ask Kabyl to modify the BIOS. Lucky for us it seems someone at Acer got a new brain and decided to fix the DSDT table in the newest bios, and so making Os X to work with both cores without using a hacked bios. So:

- Load Windows and flash your bios using the files in "\BIOS" folder

- Now reboot and enter the BIOS by pressing F2. Make sure the BIOS is in AHCI mode and F12 boot selector is turned on, save changes and exit.

B- Installing a basic vanilla retail Leopard system:

At the moment the best way to install Os X in a PC is using a vanilla retail installation. It's the only way to be sure you are getting a clean system with no mixed kexts versions. So we'll use the original Leopard disc and CD-Boot 132 for that.

- Burn cdboot.iso in "\CD Boot-132" folder into a DVD or CD

- Put the disc in the DVD drive

- Boot the laptop and press F12 to select the the DVD drive as boot device

- Once loaded, swap the disc with Leopard Retail DVD one.

- Let the disc spin for a while so it can be recognized and press enter twice.

- Os X installer will load (notice this laptop doesn't always boot os x in the first try, so if it's not working try again). Now is time to setup partitions.

- Use Disk Utility in the upper menu to partition, and do not forget to choose GUID partition scheme. As the retail disc won't allow you to install into MBR partitions. (if you really want to install in a MBR partition is better to use an external USB hard drive with GUID partition scheme and once installed just cloning the installation into your internal hard disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and then Chamaleon Installer)

- Install Os X as usual.

- Once finished the computer will reboot, now it's time for pressing F12 and loading CD-Boot 132 again. Except for this time we won't be pressing enter twice but just one time. Then we type 80 (81 if we installed in an external usb hard disk) so now the laptop boots from its internal hard disk.

- Let the first boot process finish (don't forget to set a password for you user account as sometimes not doing so can cause problems).

- Once you are finally at the desktop launch Kext Helper and drag and drop the files in "\Basic System Kexts" folder and "\Drivers\VGA" into its window for installing them.

- Use Chamaleon_V_1.0.11 in "\Boot Installer" folder for making the hard disk bootable and installing Chamaleon EFI.

- Install Apple Combo Update 10.5.5

- Once installed the computer will ask you to reboot, then it will start loading Os X again, and might reboot again in the middle of the first try (don't worry is normal).

- In case you can't pass the grey loading screen try the -f switch in Darwin bootloader (press F8 when the computer is booting)

- Now you should be at Leopard 10.5.5 desktop with full QE&CI and resolution change.

- Repeat the Kext Helper procedure with the kexts in the others folders inside "\Drivers" (except for VGA which is already installed, and Ethernet which needs extra steps explained in its own readme file)

- Reboot and if everything went fine you should have sound from the internal speakers, battery meter, ethernet, working trackpad and keyboard, wifi, and no problems shutting down the computer.

C- Extra steps

There are some things that need little fixes:

- Webcam: the webcam works once you install CamTwist, but sadly It only seems to work in Photobooth, and not with iChat.

- Sound: with this laptop you can get either sound from the speakers or from the audio jacks, but not from both at the same time. So I made a little script that allows to swap between both modes. You just have to copy the "AudioSwitch" folder inside "\Audio Driver Switcher" into you Applications Folder. Once copied just double click "altavoces" icon for speaker sound or "jacks" for jack sound. It will ask for your user password, then just reboot for the changes to take effect.

- Sleep doesn't work. I know there's a fix for that, but since my aim was keeping the system as unmodified as possible and the fix involves a hacked USBFamily kext I decided not to include it. (Just disable sleeping in Power Saving options)

- Wifi: I think you need to start wifi in Windows at least once before you can get it working in Os X.

D- The VGA problem

It seems the GeForce drivers in Mac OS X can't control the variable speed in this VGA so the graphics chip is kept at about 150 mhz (2d mode) all the time making 3d effects (such as exposè or widgets) to look jerky. There's however a way to fix that if you don't mind the extra battery energy it requires.

The solution consists in flashing the VGA Bios with a modified one which forces 2D mode to run at the same speed 3D mode does. In order to do that you need a way to boot in pure MSDOS so you can use the files in "\VGA Speed" to flash the VGA BIOS.

Flash with: "nvflash fast.rom"

Update: It seems that if you force the screen to sleep (just set the sleep screen time to 1 minute and wait) the graphic card backs to its correct speed when you move the mouse with no need for flashing the rom.

Update 2: 9a6paf managed to solve the problem with audio. He posted a modded AppleHDA.kext.internal_headphone_out_Aspire5920g.zip which should allow us to finally get speakers and jack working at the same time. (just select the output you want in the audio control panel). I think it also makes skype work.

Update 3, UPGRADING TO 10.5.6: dobry_kamil found that updating to 10.5.6 makes the ethernet and wifi cards no longer work because an incompatibility with the hacked IOPCMCIAFamily.kext. Here's an alternate file he found which should make both network adapters back to workIOPCMCIAFamily.b2.zip

Update 4: another audio driver even more compatible from 9a6paf, including EFI string for audio and smbios.plist for chameleon 2.0 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1152166

Update 5: Chameleon 2 RC1 USBBusFix=Yes option in apple.com.boot.plist seems to solve boot problems.

Update 6: DSDT patch info from 9a6paf: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1148556

Regards

i have iatkos v5i leopard 10.5.5 and laptop acer 5920 core 2 due and intel grapggic media accelrator 945

does this version from iatkos compitable with my laptop and can i install this version and run it without any problem because when i finish install iatkos on my laptop it show message you

must connect keybourd first i dont know what is the problem

plzzzzzzzzzzz help me !!!!!!

1.- Please delete the GIGANTIC quote in your post.

2.- This guide doesn't cover the installation using a hacked install dvd (because is the worst method possible)

3.- Just follow the guide (except the video part) and everything will work just fine.

Hi,

Has anyone got sleep working with the Acer 5920G? I have this laptop and have nearly everything working perfectly, but when I choose Sleep from the Apple menu, the computer just immediately wakes up. I've read different forum posts that seem to think that Sleep problems have to do with the USB driver... but I'm not sure what to tweak to get it working.

I'm also relatively new to DSDT patching, does this have the potential to fix sleep? I'm hesitant to use a DSDT file (don't use one now) since almost everything is working with a combination of modified kexts and com.apple.Boot.plist changes (device strings).

thanks!

2.- Somebody already asked the same question in this thread, and was something I talked about in the guide

Anyway sleep never was important to me, so I never took the time to research about.

3.- Hesitant? Using a patched DSDT.aml file has no drawbacks, on the contrary it's all advantages.

did u check boot think 1.1.0,

i installed it on a usb-disk, but they still need to improve it a bit,

but its very interesting.

Boot think is interesting, but Chameleon 2 RC1 is far more advanced. Maybe BT interface is better, but Chameleon has a lot more important features (DSDT, USB fixing, SMBIOS injecting, etc) and better documentation.

Is fine having several options to install, but at the moment, Chameleon seems better supported and with better no cosmetic features.

2.- This guide doesn't cover the installation using a hacked install dvd (because is the worst method possible)

3.- Just follow the guide (except the video part) and everything will work just fine.

2.- Somebody already asked the same question in this thread, and was something I talked about in the guide

Anyway sleep never was important to me, so I never took the time to research about.

3.- Hesitant? Using a patched DSDT.aml file has no drawbacks, on the contrary it's all advantages.

Boot think is interesting, but Chameleon 2 RC1 is far more advanced. Maybe BT interface is better, but Chameleon has a lot more important features (DSDT, USB fixing, SMBIOS injecting, etc) and better documentation.

Is fine having several options to install, but at the moment, Chameleon seems better supported and with better no cosmetic features.

Thx VooD,

DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 makes DSDT-patching very easy and handy,

now it boots even faster :-)

one more thing,

yesterday i was a little bit bored and installed Snow Leopard on a USB-Harddisk:

but i got this KP at boot,

can you help? Do u have experiences with Snowy?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?ceeb5e669c.jpg

I installed 10A354

and used this guide: http://osx86.fujilives.com/

Thx VooD,

DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 makes DSDT-patching very easy and handy,

now it boots even faster :-)

one more thing,

yesterday i was a little bit bored and installed Snow Leopard on a USB-Harddisk:

but i got this KP at boot,

can you help? Do u have experiences with Snowy?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?ceeb5e669c.jpg

I installed 10A354

and used this guide: http://osx86.fujilives.com/

Never tryed Snow Leopard, but the panic seems the panic is not caused by a driver but the kernel itself.