Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed Snow Leopard using the retail upgrade disc (8GB thumbdrive + myHack installer). Updated to 10.6.3 and got everything including audio (and optical out), SD reader & bluetooth (can be detected and turned on/off, but haven't tried sending files/pairing with devices yet) to work except the following:

Sleep

Webcam (installed CamTwist 2.1, but it still doesn't work in photobooth. Works in Camtwist preview though)

Wifi (haven't tried out mercurysquad's yet)

Internal mic (not sure about external mic)

Boot (sometimes wouldn't boot, have to physically restart. But once booted, works fine)

I didn't bother with HDMI because I didn't use NVinject and since VGA output works perfectly, so I'm fine with it.

And I didn't really do any DSDT patching.. can I know why/when should you patch the DSDT thingy? I didn't find anything wrong with my hackintosh so far, but it seems like everyone's talking about patching DSDT.

So, anyone got any idea on getting the sleep, webcam, and internal mic to work? What's with the non-100% successful boot rate anyway?

I'm still in the process of getting everything to work, and it's about time to sleep. Will test things like wifi, mic, bluetooth file transfer/pairing, 2 fingers scrolling, etc tomorrow.

UPDATE:

Seems like UHCIreset=yes fixes the booting problem.. Bluetooth is working (tested with pairing and transferred a file to my Nokia 6233). Mic (internal/external) is not working. During bootup (in verbose) after VoodooHDA is loaded, it says something along the line "Couldn't set/assign microphone to recording".

UPDATE 2:

Using AppleHDA and Apple5920GHDA (from previous posts), I'm able to get the mic to work. But like the other poster mentioned, 3D acceleration/graphics is disabled. So I reverted back to VoodooHDA.

Webcam works if using this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1430096

Using that modified kext, can get to sleep. But again, waking up is an issue.

Another issue I noticed - "Resuming from encrypted image is unsupported".

UPDATE 3:

Got internal mic to work using latest VoodooHDA. External mic not working though.

Internet is working using USB WLAN (zydas). I'll stick to USB while waiting for mercurysquad to release better version of voodoowireless.

Now the main issue is SLEEP. I guess I'm pretty happy with everything else so far. lol

• 1 month later...

hi every one :D for the last few days i am gathering informations+drivers+software that i need to install osx 10.5 on my acer 5920g. does anyone here using ProTools 8le here? i mean i want some info about stability of it on the PC (i am sick of using XP and PT... constantly crashing and have problems with cpu peak!) got few questions about that osx installation:

1. why do i need external usb keyboard & mouse?

2. how do i partition my disk to use it with mac os? can i use single partition (around100GB?)

current partitions on my laptop are: 1. 30gb(system XP) 2. 100GB (data, i want to use this one for my mac os) 3. the rest of my disc is for ubuntu.

my specs:

5920g 15.4":

intel T5750 2x2GHz

nvidia 8600M gt 512MB

250 GB HDD

4G Ram

Blue ray + DVD...

hi every one :) for the last few days i am gathering informations+drivers+software that i need to install osx 10.5 on my acer 5920g. does anyone here using ProTools 8le here? i mean i want some info about stability of it on the PC (i am sick of using XP and PT... constantly crashing and have problems with cpu peak!) got few questions about that osx installation:

1. why do i need external usb keyboard & mouse?

2. how do i partition my disk to use it with mac os? can i use single partition (around100GB?)

current partitions on my laptop are: 1. 30gb(system XP) 2. 100GB (data, i want to use this one for my mac os) 3. the rest of my disc is for ubuntu.

my specs:

5920g 15.4":

intel T5750 2x2GHz

nvidia 8600M gt 512MB

250 GB HDD

4G Ram

Blue ray + DVD...

This notebook has a serious overheating problem which causes the cpu to slowdown when it reachs a certain temperature in order to not melt itself. That makes the avaible cpu processing time to decrease and so Protools or any other music software stops.

I've tested everything you can test and it seems there is no way to avoid this.

ok, here is my update:

after few hours of constant repartitioning, reformating and juggling with the DVD i have manage to make it working on my acer... but, ye usual {censored} for Noobs huh :thumbsup_anim:

i cant make the system boot it self from the hard drive :D i was trying to install that chameleon stuff but every single time i try too boot straight from HDD it gives me this:

boot1 error

any idea what em i doing wrong? i can run system, and everything works fine but i have to start boot132 every single time and point to my harddrive.... :thumbsup_anim:

I've successfully installed Snow Leopard using the retail upgrade disc (8GB thumbdrive + myHack installer). Updated to 10.6.3 and got everything including audio (and optical out), SD reader & bluetooth (can be detected and turned on/off, but haven't tried sending files/pairing with devices yet) to work except the following:

Sleep

Webcam (installed CamTwist 2.1, but it still doesn't work in photobooth. Works in Camtwist preview though)

Wifi (haven't tried out mercurysquad's yet)

Internal mic (not sure about external mic)

Boot (sometimes wouldn't boot, have to physically restart. But once booted, works fine)

I didn't bother with HDMI because I didn't use NVinject and since VGA output works perfectly, so I'm fine with it.

And I didn't really do any DSDT patching.. can I know why/when should you patch the DSDT thingy? I didn't find anything wrong with my hackintosh so far, but it seems like everyone's talking about patching DSDT.

So, anyone got any idea on getting the sleep, webcam, and internal mic to work? What's with the non-100% successful boot rate anyway?

I'm still in the process of getting everything to work, and it's about time to sleep. Will test things like wifi, mic, bluetooth file transfer/pairing, 2 fingers scrolling, etc tomorrow.

UPDATE:

Seems like UHCIreset=yes fixes the booting problem.. Bluetooth is working (tested with pairing and transferred a file to my Nokia 6233). Mic (internal/external) is not working. During bootup (in verbose) after VoodooHDA is loaded, it says something along the line "Couldn't set/assign microphone to recording".

UPDATE 2:

Using AppleHDA and Apple5920GHDA (from previous posts), I'm able to get the mic to work. But like the other poster mentioned, 3D acceleration/graphics is disabled. So I reverted back to VoodooHDA.

Webcam works if using this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1430096

Using that modified kext, can get to sleep. But again, waking up is an issue.

Another issue I noticed - "Resuming from encrypted image is unsupported".

UPDATE 3:

Got internal mic to work using latest VoodooHDA. External mic not working though.

Internet is working using USB WLAN (zydas). I'll stick to USB while waiting for mercurysquad to release better version of voodoowireless.

Now the main issue is SLEEP. I guess I'm pretty happy with everything else so far. lol

Just a lil update.

External mic actually works.

Got ethernet to work. Kext from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903

and patched IOPCIFamily from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183356

Tried mercurysquad/voodoowireless, but nothing being detected.

So, only Sleep and Airport is not working so far. =)

I managed to get Sleep working. The new Ethernet kext from the Thread zxmn just mentioned no longer crashes OS X when tring to sleep. If you use the poorly hacked old Ethernet kext it doesn't work.

To get sleep working I had to patch my DSDT like described here.

If you're using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you will need the SleepEnabler.kext. Get it from kexts.com, but make sure you get the correct one for the version of OS X you're using (if you're using 10.6.3 make sure to get the 10.6.3 version). Install it and repair permissions.

Sleep should now work. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I got AirPort working by replacing the Intel card with Broadcom's.

Now I'm just gonna try getting sleep to work by following zuc's instructions.

Btw, updated to 10.6.4 as well. :tomato:

I managed to get Sleep working. The new Ethernet kext from the Thread zxmn just mentioned no longer crashes OS X when tring to sleep. If you use the poorly hacked old Ethernet kext it doesn't work.

To get sleep working I had to patch my DSDT like described here.

If you're using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you will need the SleepEnabler.kext. Get it from kexts.com, but make sure you get the correct one for the version of OS X you're using (if you're using 10.6.3 make sure to get the 10.6.3 version). Install it and repair permissions.

Sleep should now work. :(

How is your sleep?

I followed your instruction and I get it to sleep.. sort of.

When it goes to sleep.. display, keyboard/trackpad input, WiFi etc is turned off. But the fan is still running and the LED didn't turn amber. And I can only wake it up using the power button..

Weird, my sleep is totally different. It's more like it is in Windows. You send it to sleep and the display and fan and everything turns of and the LEDs turn red and are blinking.

Also I can wake it up using the keyboard.

I dunno why it's not working for you.

I attached my dsdt.aml. Use at you own risk.

dsdt.aml.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi VooD (great guide btw) or anyone else who can answer this question.

Will flashing my 5920G BIOS with the BIOS found in your archives cause Windows to act differently?

*edit* nevermind, didn't notice it was the official latest BIOS from Acer

• 3 months later...

Heh. I needed to shut down my my laptop with holding the power button (hard reset).

Now it wont boot anymore.

In verbose mode it says: CPU Halted

Any ideas?

I tried -x and -f but didnt help.

I have been using this installation for years. Now what really happened?

Have i mixed the filesystem somehow during the reset?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish you all a happy new year and i have some news for you:) 10.6.5 with Acer5920GHDA.kext working just perfect and Chameleon Graphics enabler = yes... FINALLY WITHOUT ANY CONFLICTS:)

1)Delete VoodooHDA if you have any (usually in System/Library/Extensions)

2)Restore AppleHDA.kext (version 10.6.2) in System/Library/Extensions. If you don't have it, search in the forum, i am not on my laptop right now, so i can't attach it.

3) Install Acer5920GHDA.kext in System/Library/Extensions using kext helper or kext utility

4) Open com.apple.Boot.plist NOT THE ONE IN THE EXTRA FOLDER. You need the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Paste the alc888 efi string in this file and save it. (IF YOU HAVE THE SAME EFI STRING IN /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, DELETE IT)

5) Enable Graphics Enabler in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, repair permissions and restart. Now you have fully working graphics without any kext and sound is working as it should!

• 4 months later...

I have had this installation for years now. Thank you all.

Few months ago i did reinstallation and i also did system update from Software Update...

After restart im having this weird bug: my mouse sometimes moves short gap really fast.

its really annoying. Anybody has same symptom?

If you are targeting to close a window the cursor moves just over it. aargh... its killig me :mellow:.

I read that it may have be a part of itunes update or something.

Can you help me?